Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 09-28-2004
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Talking Watkins Glen Race Weekend - WOW!

What an awesome, awesome weekend! And I was only there for less than a third of it. Imagine how much fun everyone else had who arrived on Wednesday. There was perfect weather, an incredible racetrack, a seemingly endless supply of beautiful cars (especially the new blue ones..) and big groups of drivers that had a blast hanging out and racing with each other (cleanly). Skip Barber, thank you for a job very well done. The preparation was great, the staff was on fine form and smiles were the only things I saw, even though we Bozos destroyed more than a few of your cars. Personally, a HUGE "Thank You" to the instructors, and especially Bobo, for getting me up to speed in about ten minutes to race on a track I'd never seen before.

Overall, the Watkins Glen race weekend was a perfect demonstration all around of why and how Skippy is the best show in town.

Some highlights & congratulations, in no specific order:

- David Kaemmer - Winner of Champ Group Race 1. The guy shows up after not having raced for 9 years and kills us all.

- Deyne Bentt - Won Champ Group Race 2 after falling all the way to the back of the field at the start (well, not all the way - I was behind him). About time, too, tough guy. Just don't do it again. It's my turn.

- David Casey - Awesome 3rd Place in Champ Group

- Matt Franc & Peter Ludwig - In the most meaningful sense they both won everything they raced this weekend (even though they crashed into each other, into walls and technically ended DFL in every race!) They truly brought the energy into this weekend.

- Michael Auriemma - Great 2nd place

- Chris Wilcox - Clinched the Master's National Championship with ANOTHER two wins . Maybe the Master's guys should kick Chris out of their group, just like what the Sportsmen are going to do to Juan Valdez Goldstein.

And last, but not least -

- Me! - I didn't crash or spin - and everyone was just waiting for it to happen. HAH!

Last edited by sydude; 09-28-2004 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-28-2004
Petey's Dad
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 54
Re: Watkins Glen Race Weekend - WOW!

I never thought I would say it but coming in DFL in both events could only have been more fun if I came in 1st.

WOW! The most fun I have had in any race. Going four wide into the bus stop at 124 mph was in retrospect, something that just was not going to happen. We did get it done three wide the first few times though! Seeing Matt stuck in the gravel trap 30 yards away from me made me jump for joy if anyone missed that!

Matt, GREAT racing with you. But...... starting DFL in Lime Rock on purpose is simply not going to happen since my wife and three kids will be on site to watch me beat your ass. Oh as a side note, if I remember correctly, my qualifying time and fast laps in each race were quicker then yours, just in case you missed that.

This weekend had by far the most positive energy I have ever experienced and it was a wonderful event. Worth every minute of travel from Argentina to make it to the track from the airport at 12:30 pm Friday.

Can't wait to see you all next week!!
Old 09-28-2004
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

AMEN!

Having not raced since July 2003 I have to say the race weekend at WGI looked like the same SBRS I have always known, in other words....... excellent!

The people of the SBRS did an exemplary job, tons of cars, tires, big groups, and fun, fun, fun, ALL FUN, ALL THE TIME!!!!!

.................................................. ......
Old 09-28-2004
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

I forgot to give Doug Harrison a big congrats for a killer weekend, his first in a long time. 4th and a 2nd (2nd? - I can't remember! That's my A.D.D.). SWEET!
Old 09-28-2004
PointBy
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Yes, it was a great racing weekend and a great weekend to spend with SBR friends. Echo all the good things already said about the SBR team, everyone worked very hard to make sure we had a very positive experience. Thanks, SBR. Now on to LRP, the Masters Regional race should be quite interesting, looking forward to seeing the up-to-date points.

Helmets off to Matt and Peter, very fast boys having way too much fun! How about Sy...drives up, gets into a car, drives a track he has only read about and then posts a 2:13! Hopefully all the Team Juicy guys that kissed the blue wall are feeling OK today, been there, done that, no fun.

I am in for the golf tourney, more opportunities for the SBR instructors to write little quips in my “Dirt” sheet. Anyone up for putting together a foursome? See you at LRP.
Old 09-28-2004
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
I forgot to give Doug Harrison a big congrats for a killer weekend, his first in a long time. 4th and a 2nd (2nd? - I can't remember! That's my A.D.D.). SWEET!
Thanks Sy but it was 4th and 3rd. I looked at taking The General on the last lap entering the heel for P2 but why ruin both out races if I screwed up???? Couldn't get along side him, too close to risk a questionable pass. I used up all my luck in the T11 screwup anyway.

I was 2 tenths behind him at the checker, nice P2 General!

cdh

BTW, I'm in for the golf, want to get a group together Phobos?

Last edited by cdh; 09-29-2004 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2004
administrationistperson

Thumbs up Re: Watkins Glen Race Weekend - WOW!

Another great weekend for Dick Lippert, two Masters National P3's and 2nd in the Masters National Championship, WTG!
Old 09-28-2004
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

Guys, the most unbelieveable thing happened at Watkins when Peter and Matt flew off together at the Chicane.

Not only was Peter so happy to see Matt there in the gravel with him, race over, he had the presence of mind to think, "Hey, wait a second, there's something like 2 minutes before the field gets back here to the Chicane, so..." Right then, Peter leaps from his burried race car and does SNOW ANGELS IN THE GRAVEL TRAP.

Picture that if you will!

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 09-29-2004
Petey's Dad
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 54

It was a pretty good one too, my kids would have been proud. I tried making a gravel man since I had a carrot in my pocket for the nose, but I could not get the balls to roll up.
Old 09-29-2004
Selfish Bastard
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Peter, Maybe I will start DFL and beat you...how bad would that look to Petey?

We need to work on your finishing and low percentage passing skills, other then that you did great.

See you in a week.
Old 10-01-2004
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

and, didn't see a blue flag all weekend
Old 10-01-2004
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Must crushing line of the weekend was from Dan Herrington:

"See you @ Limerock?"

"No, I have to take my SATs."

Pretty painful considering last time I was on this track was in 1973 for a Woodstock style rockfest with the Allman Bros., The Band and the Grateful Dead, and I had just graduated high school. Danged if I can remember anything abt the concert though...

Bookmark This Thread