Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 04-24-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Michael Johnson

For those who didn't know him, Michael Johnson worked at SBRS and became General Manager of Lime Rock Park from 2002 through last fall when he left for business school. I've copied an article about his accident, a post from Steve Potter, a post from Skip Barber and his business school bio.

Words fail to express the shock, horror and sadness of this news. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, and all who knew, worked with and loved Michael.

Pat
__________________________________________________ ______

Student in critical condition
By Jenny Allen
Senior Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
last updated April 20, 2005 2:47 AM

Michael Johnson, a first-year business student at UC-Irvine who was rescued by paramedics after nearly drowning in Avery Pool Sunday, was still in critical condition at Stanford Hospital as of 2 p.m. yesterday afternoon. The Daily was unable to reach hospital officials for comment by press time.

The 35-year-old was spotted submerged in the pool during an inner-tube water polo match hosted by the Graduate School of Business. It is uncertain how long he was underwater before he was pulled out.

911 was called at 10:13 a.m., and a lifeguard and paramedics administered CPR before Johnson was transported by ambulance to the Stanford Medical Center. He is currently joined by his immediate family, his girlfriend — also a UC-Irvine business student — and classmates. Additional information is being withheld due to privacy concerns.

Classes were cancelled at the Paul Merage School of Business at UC-Irvine on Monday so that students, faculty and staff could comfort each other and attend a special non-denominational prayer and support meeting led by members of the UC-Irvine Counseling Center.

“Our thoughts, prayers and best wishes are with our student and his family, and we extend our fervent hope for his recovery,” said Andrew Policaco, dean of UC-Irvine’s Graduate School of Management.

Members of the Stanford community have also extended their support to Johnson’s family and friends.

“On behalf of Stanford faculty and staff and Dean Robert Joss, who is out of the country this week, I want to say that our prayers and deepest concern are with the family and friends of this student, as well as with all of those who were participating in this event,” said Dan Rudolph, senior associate dean of the Stanford GSB. “We continue to work closely with our students, as well as the UC-Irvine community and extend our continuing concern and support.”

The inner-tube water polo match was part of the GSB’s annual Challenge For Charity, during which MBA programs participate in friendly competition to raise funds for charities like the Special Olympics and the Ronald McDonald House.

Stanford Challenge for Charity weekend games began on Friday and included the business schools of the University of Washington, Pepperdine, the University of Southern California, UCLA, UC-Davis, Stanford, UC-Irvine and UC-Berkeley. The last day of activities was cancelled following the incident.
__________________________________________________ _____

from Steve Potter 4/21/05
(General Manager and Vice President of Lime Rock Park)

Dear Friends,

Skip recently forwarded to me the following message from the graduate school of business administration at University of California – Irvine, where Michael was a member of the Class of 2007.

All of us at Lime Rock Park are grief-stricken with the arrival of this sad news.

Thanks to every one of you who has called or written during the days since Michael’s accident to express your concern and support. All of us here appreciate it, as will Michael’s family.

Steve

The Paul Merage School of Business is saddened to report the latest medical findings regarding Michael Johnson. Physicians at the Stanford Medical Center have completed tests and determined that no viable higher-level brain stem activity is present. Michael is surrounded by his family, friends, and Merage School staff. The Johnson family is currently discussing its options.

While our hearts and prayers continue to be with Michael and his family, we urge you to respect their privacy as they deal with this difficult decision. Please continue to pray for the family and support each other during this painful time.
__________________________________________________ _____

from Skip Barber: 4/22/05

I am writing this evening to express my personal gratitude and that of my colleagues to all of you who have written and called to express your concern and support for Michael, his family and his friends here at Lime Rock Park. Many of you, although aware that there is no prospect for Michael’s recovery, have asked to be kept abreast of his condition.

Michael’s family, after consulting with his physicians, has decided that nutrition and oxygen support will be withdrawn at noon Pacific time on Saturday. His physicians say that it is not possible to know how long the final phase of Michael’s time on earth will be. This will be a difficult time for his family and all of the rest of us who have cared for and loved him. We may however take some small but important comfort in knowing that it was Michael’s choice to be an organ donor. No surprise, his final contribution to the world he is leaving is to give the gift of life to others.
__________________________________________________ ______

Michael Johnson
MBA Class of 2006

Born in Burlingame, California and raised in Colorado and Oregon, Michael earned his undergraduate degree in Political Science from the University of California, Santa Barbara. Prior to beginning his studies at the Graduate School of Management, Michael followed his life-long passion for auto racing - both as a competitor and as a business professional. Most recently he served as the General Manager of Lime Rock Park, a major auto road-racing track located in Connecticut. Michael directed the development, marketing, promotions and management plans for four televised spectator events each season. Prior to his tenure at Lime Rock Park, Michael worked for the Skip Barber Racing School where he directed the company's regional and national championship racing programs and managed its West Coast headquarters and operations based in Monterey, CA. Along the way Michael knew that he wanted to attend a top MBA program to enhance his management experience with an intense study in the areas of finance and marketing. Ultimately he chose to attend the Graduate School of Management at UC Irvine because of the quality of the program and the student body. In addition to serving as an Ambassador, Michael is a member of the Marketing and Strategy Club and is involved with Challenge for Charity and the Special Olympics.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2005
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: Michael Johnson

How awful, so sorry to hear this, he was a real gentleman, a gentle man. Our hearts go out to his family, friends and everyone he touched...

Old 04-25-2005
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

I found out yesterday evening (4/23) about Michael's accident and passing, and I couldn't believe it. I was waiting for someone with more information than I to post about it, and I'm gald dalyduo was able to provide a collection of so many detailed reports. Please keep us updated if they do an examination and release the results. My family has been keeping him and his family in our thoughts.

You can also find two articles from before this weekend at these addresses:

http://news-service.stanford.edu/new...ol-042005.html

http://daily.stanford.org/tempo?page...y=0001_article

The first article notes that the Department of Public Safety is investigating how this could have happened...
Old 04-29-2005
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

This was recently posted by Skip Barber.
Pat

Dear Friends,

As most of you know, Michael passed away last Saturday, shortly after life support was withdrawn.

My colleagues and I at Lime Rock Park will hold at the track on a weekend day in May a celebration of Michael's life. We plan to have Michael's family with us, and hope that you'll be able to attend as well.

We'll let you know the date of our event once Michael's family has made final plans for the memorial service they plan to hold in Portland. The details of our East Coast remembrance of Michael will be posted on the Lime Rock Park website (www.limerock.com) as soon as circumstances permit.

In the meantime, an appreciation of Michael is currently posted there, illustrated with some of our favorite photos of him.

-- Skip

Bookmark This Thread