Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 11-15-2009
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Helmet Snell Rating for Skippy

Hey Guys,
I still have a Snell SA-2000 Arai GP5 and I was wondering if this would still be good for Skippy after the new year? I know some series won't allow it past the 10 year thing. Thanks guys.

-KS
Old 11-15-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Helmet Snell Rating for Skippy

Have signed and returned half a dozen Skippy rule books and can't recall the language on helmet qualifications if there is any. The bigger question is... Are you OK with wearing a helmet past the 10-year thing?

How much usage has it had and has it survived any hard hits? What does Arai say about the safety of a GP-5 that old? Does the structural integrity of the protective foam or composite shell break down with time?

My 6-year-old GP-5's now like an old flannel shirt in fit and smell. Hate to think of replacing it but it's a good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSanford33 View Post
Hey Guys,
I still have a Snell SA-2000 Arai GP5 and I was wondering if this would still be good for Skippy after the new year? I know some series won't allow it past the 10 year thing. Thanks guys.

-KS
Old 11-15-2009
Hey Wait For Me
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Quote:
Hey Guys,

-KS
It could just as easily be less than five years old too. I have a 2000 helmet with a 2005 build date.

Most road racing organizations take the current and one prior Snell ratings and the 2010 rated helmets won't be out until the end of next year so there shouldn't be a problem with the helmet for the first 3/4ish of the year.

What size helmet? There are some good deals on Arai 2005 dated helmets. I have an XXL sitting here that I'd let go for a good price.
CircuitMotorsports@gmail.com
Old 11-15-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Hey Guys,

-KS
Your call. So far as I know, the latest Snell revision is not required by the rulebook. I've never had anyone check the date in mine. I think I actually have a Simpson SA-05 but for whatever reason I have always prefered my Bell SA-00.
Old 11-16-2009
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

I think Arai says 5 years of regular use. I bought a new one from the back of a dealer's shelf. It pays to have a fat head because it fit perfectly (both size and shape). It's a 2000 but I've only used it for a little over a year and figure it's still got several years of safe use. I think.
It's a bike helmet that won't be seeing any tech inspectors.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Last edited by oldredracer; 11-16-2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: afterthought
Old 11-16-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
...It's a bike helmet ...
I thought I saw that the Skippy loaner helmets were Snell M's too?
Old 11-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
I thought I saw that the Skippy loaner helmets were Snell M's too?
Never looked. Hope not. M helmets aren't designed to resist flame. If it's burning while you're on a bike you have bigger issues.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 11-16-2009
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

was searching helmet degradation (to see if they have a shelf life) and found this site - Snell Memorial Foundation

Org has a sense of humor - from FAQ:

I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?
Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, that you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.
Old 11-16-2009
Pitlane Sasquatch
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, that you avoid hitting stuff with your head.

That is information I could have used 30 years ago...
SD
Old 11-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDe View Post
The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, that you avoid hitting stuff with your head.

That is information I could have used 30 years ago...
SD
The tech writer for that article was, like, maybe Groucho Marx????
Old 11-22-2009
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

I've used mine for indoor karting only so far, so I'm pretty sure it's fine. Old Red, you live in Chatham? I used to live in Valatie, but now in Sch'dy!

-KS

Bookmark This Thread