Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 09-13-2004
Duramater
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Girlie Men

Ok boys, I have been reading all of the feedback about testing and not listening. It seems that you front runners are ignorant of the facts. We back markers have been putting up with such things for years. Complaining is one thing, quitting is another. I agree things need to change. I have taken plenty of heat for telling Skippy about their problems. Divina even told me "you set women in racing back twenty years by complaining". Her point was this is a man's world and they do not want you here, so tough it out.

For two years, I have been the invisible woman. First phase was being ignored. Second phase was being the butt of all jokes. Third and current phase is they quit laughing, but still do not take me seriously.

*I have been given a car to qualify that had not caugh fourth gear for two days of lapping. During qualifying, it did not catch fourth or third gears. I was told I had no choice but to drive that car.

*I showed up for Barber Motorsports Park on Friday last year (there were no lapping days) to run the weekend. After one practice session, I was told there were not enough cars, and I could not run.

*I was told after my three day school and several lapping days that I could not race until I was within three seconds of the slowest guy in my group. Ok, until I was consistently placed in the fastest group and all of the guys were ten seconds ahead of me. Guys running my pace were in other groups. It was still ok, until I got within three seconds of the slowest guy in my group and I was told that I had to be withing ten seconds of the national racers time before I could race. How many of you guys ever had to meet that standard to start racing?

I could go on and on, but the point is short of buying your own car, this is still a good place to hone your craft. I have raced SCCA, my husband calls it, "Southeastern Corrupt Cesspool of Amateurs". I still prefer the level of skill and professionalism of this group and you guys to any of the clowns there. We are all after the same thing, getting better and winning.

By the way, I keep hearing about all this camaraderie. When will we get an invitation to dinner?

Old 09-13-2004
WillowCross Racing
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Re: Girlie Men

Sue,

I've always been somewhat confused by the expression girlie men. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I've always been complimented for being a strong-willed male who's in touch with his femine side-but after Arnold's speech and now YOUR posting, I'm having second thoughts?

NOTE: This is a reply to Sue. I do not want to hear a peep out of anyone of you bastards. Remember (as I remind you all to the point of boredom), I'm bigger than all of you.
Old 09-13-2004
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Addison
Ok boys, I have been reading all of the feedback about testing and not listening. It seems that you front runners are ignorant of the facts. We back markers have been putting up with such things for years. Complaining is one thing, quitting is another. I agree things need to change. I have taken plenty of heat for telling Skippy about their problems. Divina even told me "you set women in racing back twenty years by complaining". Her point was this is a man's world and they do not want you here, so tough it out.

For two years, I have been the invisible woman. First phase was being ignored. Second phase was being the butt of all jokes. Third and current phase is they quit laughing, but still do not take me seriously.

*I have been given a car to qualify that had not caugh fourth gear for two days of lapping. During qualifying, it did not catch fourth or third gears. I was told I had no choice but to drive that car.

*I showed up for Barber Motorsports Park on Friday last year (there were no lapping days) to run the weekend. After one practice session, I was told there were not enough cars, and I could not run.

*I was told after my three day school and several lapping days that I could not race until I was within three seconds of the slowest guy in my group. Ok, until I was consistently placed in the fastest group and all of the guys were ten seconds ahead of me. Guys running my pace were in other groups. It was still ok, until I got within three seconds of the slowest guy in my group and I was told that I had to be withing ten seconds of the national racers time before I could race. How many of you guys ever had to meet that standard to start racing?

I could go on and on, but the point is short of buying your own car, this is still a good place to hone your craft. I have raced SCCA, my husband calls it, "Southeastern Corrupt Cesspool of Amateurs". I still prefer the level of skill and professionalism of this group and you guys to any of the clowns there. We are all after the same thing, getting better and winning.

By the way, I keep hearing about all this camaraderie. When will we get an invitation to dinner?

First of all, I want to welcome you to TJR. Second of all, all female members of TJR must post a picture of themselves wearing just a thong and a tight Juicy Couture t-shirt. Third of all, you wouldn't have had all of those problems if you had a better coach/mentor - Big Sexy is kind of lame...

Of course, you know that I'm just kidding about #2 and #3. Or, maybe not.

How's that for cameraderie? Are you coming to the Glen?
Old 09-13-2004
Duramater

Hey Don,

I did not know you were a big Tolkien fan, but really, the Lord of the Nazguls? In the infamous words of Jose Jimenez "Oh, I hope not."

I am from the South, SUE is part of a double name in the South.
For example Sue Lynn, Peggy Sue, Sue Anne, etc. I am SUSAN.

Girlie men was coined on the Saturday Night Live Show by the "Pump it up Guys" who pumped iron not to be taken for "Girlie Men" or SISSIES.
They got the phrase from Arnold who first used it in the skit.

As for myself, I like stong/sensitive men! I married one. That has nothing to do with sissies.

Hi Sy,

That's great for camaraderie! Only in your dreams will you see that photo!

Susan

The Glen cannot compete with Petite LeMans. I will be at Summit Point this coming weekend if you are in the area. I am running a Renault Spec Racer at the NASA Race.

Last edited by Susan Addison; 09-13-2004 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2004
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Susan

My knucklehead friends truly are girlie men judging from their goofey replies to your serious email.

I for one am shocked by the treatment you relate. I have never heard anything like that. Even among people who bitch about Skippy cars and cost cutting etc, I have NEVER heard a foul word about the staff... from mechanics, to CSR's, to the office geeks like Todd.

But to hear you still talk positively after those experiences says something about the organization. They really offer a unique and valuable product that we all crave.

I'll see you at The Glen!
Old 09-13-2004
Duramater

Thank you for the note. It is not Skippy that got me through. It is my personal fortitude, my faith, that kept me persevering, and my more than supportive husband, Ray.
Old 09-14-2004
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Quote:

Interesting thread. You may already know the feminist observation that for all the compliments paid to Fred Astaire as a performer... Ginger Rogers did everything Astaire did backwards and in high heels. :-)

Anyone cleanly faster than me in a race car, has my admiration and respect regardless of gender. I'm an equal oportunity learner.

So I suggest you hold out for the Team Juicy Racing "Speedo" Team photo before you consider sending in your thong and t-shirt shot.

If you are at LRP in October, I look forward to meeting you and your husband.

Good luck at Summit Point,
Pat Daly

Last edited by dalyduo; 09-14-2004 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-23-2004
Team OC/AD D

Susan,

Champ class at Summit Point, huh. Nice! Doing a great job there. I heard you and Laura had a little on-track cat fight. What happened? You know that girlie-men just love to hear about cat fights...

S
Old 11-28-2004
Duramater

Exclamation Re: Girlie Men

Hi Sydude,

Cat fight? What did I miss? What did you hear?

I only rearended her on the start before the pace car pulled off because some cluck brake checked us both. She got stopped, and I did not, until I hit her.

However, I was the least of her problems. David Libby spun out of turn 2 water and put her out with him. She jumped in another car and still managed to finish. It was after that she did her Evil Kneival impression.

I managed to stay on track and take the Masters First.

Where are all of you guys? Are you coming to Road Atlanta? Or do you intend to let me win more races?

Susan AKA Duramater
Old 11-28-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Hi Sydude,

Cat fight? What did I miss? What did you hear?

I only rearended her on the start before the pace car pulled off because some cluck brake checked us both. She got stopped, and I did not, until I hit her.

However, I was the least of her problems. David Libby spun out of turn 2 water and put her out with him. She jumped in another car and still managed to finish. It was after that she did her Evil Kneival impression.

I managed to stay on track and take the Masters First.

Where are all of you guys? Are you coming to Road Atlanta? Or do you intend to let me win more races?

Susan AKA Duramater
DuraSue-

Congrats on the Master's win! I had no idea. Skippy didn't give us that info. And I was just trying to start some trouble with my 'catfight' comment. Again, it's what us 'Girlie Men' like to do!
Old 11-30-2004
Tire Pariahrometer

Ok everybody, lighten up. Having been here since the beginnig, I have to be bewildered that customers think we actively try to supply unequal cars and assign the best to our favorites. Can you imagine the logistics of trying to do this in an organization as complicated as ours? Even if we wanted to?

C'mon. We could save plenty by eliminating the testers and justifying equality by having a random car draw every session.Plusses and minuses over the couse of a season would balance out. At top levels of the sport some excellent drivers compete in cars down 300+ horsepower. They drive to their limit.

The crew and the testers try as hard as possible to deliver a field of cars as equally matched as possible. Are they absolutely equal Friday through Sunday? Too many variables to say. Do they all have brakes and gears? unless they failed on the previous cool off lap,and the driver didn't tell us,we assume they are raceable for the next driver.

I understand that the competition is close, but when the test drivers can put the cars within a couple tenths of a second of each other, it seems to me that drivers should look within themselves for lap time and give up the crutch of thinking that the the car or outside forces are the problem.

Especially with the new system of separating drivers by speed potential, it would seem even more important for a driver to define their success by personal improvement of their skills and speed rather than finishing position or points scored.

Just my thoughts

Carl
Old 11-30-2004
GrandMasterB
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 57
Wink Re: Girlie Men

Carl:
If the cars are all equal, as you say they are, how do you explain how I always get one that's 2 seconds slower than everybody else?

OLDMAN
Old 11-30-2004
Tire Pariahrometer

I think that the clocks in the 40's and early 50's ran at higher power settings than modern timing devices and somehow the modern computerized timing systems know when drivers of that ilk are being timed. Though the actual lap times times are the same (if not better than), the fast guys, the system gives us lap times in 1940-1950 seconds which are shorter than today's seconds...therefore bigger numbers. This is a perfectly valid theory as I am assured by my technical consultant, Myron Einstein.

Papa Lopez
Old 11-30-2004
GrandMasterB
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 57

That's what I thought!

OLDMAN

Bookmark This Thread