Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 02-20-2007
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Sebring Weekend

Thanks Doug. Yes, big fun in Champ group for sure!

I like your new favorite stat: the five 'J' rocket engines comprising the Saturn V booster produced 160,000,000 horsepower.

Yes and if you strapped one to the roof of 'a 73 Impala you'd really have something. I smell a"MythBusters" update episode...
Old 02-20-2007
Fund Raiser Racer
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

to everyone that loved the new duerson device.most of the credit should go to matt franc..i had built that device over two years ago and we tested them at moroso where they were tweaked a little.

after that weekend they were forgoton about untill matt called me and asked me to make enough for the field.

between matt and i we had it done in 2 days.with matt calling 3 times a day to push me.

matt is the man that made it work

glad you all liked it

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 02-20-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
The 2007 SBRS Sebring southern regional will from this day forward be known as the Harsha Hamster 500
As long as "Harsha" and "Hamster" are not used together in any other context I guess I can be ok with it.
Quote:
I was having an “If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have no luck at all…” weekend until the last race of the day.
You are too modest to note that you were leading on Saturday when your halfshaft was victimized by your small blip. I have never seen anyone's weekend so repeatedly beset by mechanical woes. Some people would've gone nuts. But you showed so much cool, grace, and class dealing with the whole situation. Something for us all to emulate. You belong in Champ, Pat, for both your quickness and your attitude-- go get 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgersid
to everyone that loved the new duerson device.most of the credit should go to matt franc
this is going to add a ton of racecraft and excitement from now on. Kudos to both of you for a great idea, and for making it happen. Will they have them out West next week?
Old 02-21-2007
Grand Master

Sid,

Why are you and Matt calling it the Duerson device? Would love to know the backstory that gives it Craig's moniker instead of Hansford's Hamster?

Thanks to Matt for cracking the whip and thanks to you for fabricating the pieces. Our racing lives were only improved by it this weekend.

Quote:
to everyone that loved the new duerson device.most of the credit should go to matt franc..i had built that device over two years ago and we tested them at moroso where they were tweaked a little.

after that weekend they were forgoton about untill matt called me and asked me to make enough for the field.

between matt and i we had it done in 2 days.with matt calling 3 times a day to push me.

matt is the man that made it work

glad you all liked it
Old 02-21-2007
Fund Raiser Racer

DD SORRY TO HEAR THE WEEKEND DIDNT GO WELL. BUT A BAD DAY AT THE TRACK-------------------------------

WE CALL IT THE DD BECAUSE HE IS AGAINST IT.DOESNT LIKE THE IDEA OF PEOPLE BEING ABLE TO DRAFT BY WANTS THEM TO WORK FOR THE PASS.

DRAFTING AS YOU NOW KNOW IS WAY COOL YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR DRIVING AND RACE CRAFT AND HOW COOL IS IT TO BE IN THE DRAFT AND HEAR NOTHING?

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 02-21-2007
Grand Master

Bad days for me usually involve cdr's and we collected none of those so on whole the weekend was great. It was just that all my race seat time didn't happen until the last hour and a half of the weekend. But in the end I won a race and found I wasn't too far off the fast leader pace in the memorial so no complaints at this end...

And now I will move up and take my lumps in champ group.

LOL on the Duerson device. Yes the hamster is the great equalizer I can see why he would hate it as he'll probably have far fewer walk aways. Poor baby.

Quote:
DD SORRY TO HEAR THE WEEKEND DIDNT GO WELL. BUT A BAD DAY AT THE TRACK-------------------------------

WE CALL IT THE DD BECAUSE HE IS AGAINST IT.DOESNT LIKE THE IDEA OF PEOPLE BEING ABLE TO DRAFT BY WANTS THEM TO WORK FOR THE PASS.

DRAFTING AS YOU NOW KNOW IS WAY COOL YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR DRIVING AND RACE CRAFT AND HOW COOL IS IT TO BE IN THE DRAFT AND HEAR NOTHING?
Old 02-21-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
LOL on the Duerson device. Yes the hamster is the great equalizer I can see why he would hate it as he'll probably have far fewer walk aways. Poor baby.
Think Talladega (and not F1 ) and you get the picture. then again, I did grow up in Late Model country...
Old 02-21-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

It absolutely was a great weekend and you guys couldn't have reported on it any better.

On Saturday night I sat down at a table at R.J.Gators with Chris Brassard, Nick Spencer, Harsha Sen and Daniel Graeff - each of whom had been on the podium at least once so far that weekend ! Talk about a feel good vibe, baby, that table was ready to levitate

I, too was in the Saturday race where Nick got sideways (oh, so sideways !) in One. I managed to avoid him and went hauling around the track in P3 for more than half the race. Then Nick and Juan Pablo (no, not that one, it just felt like it) came flying up behind me. I held them off for a lap but they finally took me going into the hairpin - we went through there 3 wide and I fell back to follow them around the track. I kept hoping they'd take each other out, or throw themselves off the track, but no such luck. On the last lap, JP popped on Nick and I went with him - we could have taken Nick going into 17, but JP didn't realize I was behind him and that he'd have the push, so he slotted back in. I tried to get them both going onto the front straight, but couldn't get it done. Still, great fun and a time, 51.2, that was 1.3 sec. better than the best I'd done !

The only thing I broke all weekend was a radiator in Saturdays race, when Don Van, busy trying to pass a guy going into the hairpin, misjudged the distance to the apex and failed to notice my car there ! Next thing I knew, there was a nose at my elbow. German, Big Dan and the boys said they could hear the impact in the pits, but it didn't spin me and the motor was still running, so I floored it. I didn't realize there was anything wrong and was overjoyed to be racing ! I came through Bishop's Bend trying to plan my "free safety inspection" and passed a guy for position going into 17 (I LOVE THAT TURN !) Just as the car swung around, I got a big face full of side pod shards and radiator fluid. Damn ! Talk about an emotional turn around - oh, all right ! I got my hand up, throttled back and headed into the pits.

Can't wait to try the new wing on the high banks at Daytona !

Oh, Pat, BTW, Mur says come on up, you guys'll have a ball racing.
(actually, he said Welcome To Hell, but who wants to share that ?)
Old 02-21-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

M.

I was rooting for your podium on Sunday! You ran great and I think you would have pulled it off without your mis-hap. Keep it up and you will be there again soon. Had a great time with y'all this weekend!
Old 02-23-2007

OOPS ! Just reread my earlier post -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurl rcr
Still, great fun and a time, 51.2, that was 1.3 sec. better than the best I'd done !
Flying fingers foul-up, or early onset Alzheimers ? Either way...

I TURNED A 31.2 !!

(damn, all that work to overcome my lack of testosterone, and I'm giving it away in the reporting)
Old 02-23-2007
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

First off, thanks to all who attended Sebring. I honestly have to say that it was a very fun weekend, despite my feet hurt from running and walking(Skippy, where is my Segway?). I think this was a weekend where it felt like a family outting, and not a race weekend. These are the good times that keep us all around. It felt like the hay days of Skip. Brassard, Harsha, Nick Spencer, Rick Balsley, Pat, Leland, Ron Yarab, and a whole bunch more all poking sticks at me and keeping it fun. I have to say that two things stick out in my mind from the whole weekend.
1- I did Harsha Sen's 3 day at VIR and I remember it well. Harsha got , lets say..... a lil muddy on the first morning exercise . I, along with many, never gave up on Harsha because he wanted to do this sport! Long story short, non of us gave up on him, and he went on to win this weekend which was pretty emotional. It amazes me how one can get emaotional after seeing so many highs and lows in this job. But I needed to get "out of the picture" while he was getting dunked. Congrats Harsha, YOU earned it.

2-Pat Daly, one of the most humble and quiet guys is an ANIMAL in the car! He gets the Goody's headache powder award for having a half shaft break (twice?) . Oh, and then the drama of the dreaded POLE position coin toss. Not for P9, but the pole. Ricky Ehrgott had to slide over one and make room for Pat. It was just Pat's day to win.
No matter how rough the weekend goes in any racing, never give up. Super job Pat. You get the hard charger award for just hanging in there and not giving up!

I was in the hunt for the Karting championship many years ago. I had to win Dousman Wisconsin's race in order to win the championship and 3 guys had to finish way back. I was 6th or so and one lost a clutch. One had a flat, and one got tangled up with somebody. 2 laps left, 1 left, 1 corner left, I had lost the championship by 1 position in the last race in the last corner and I saw what I needed to see. Sparks flew, engine reved, and the leader broke a chain(very rare to break one), and I won the championship just that quickly. Goes to show, never give up, and I had sorta given up mentally. From that point on, I never let myself get too discouraged. Have a good weekend.
Old 02-23-2007
Selfish Bastard

Simply put; Duerson Devise / Hamster Devise, what ever it is called will make the racing more FUN. fficeffice" />

The fast guys will continue to be fast and hard to beat. The guys that are a tick off will be able to hang around more, especially at Race Tracks with long straights. But the net result is the fast guys...Duerson will still win. There margin of victory may be cut down.

As for my perspective, I would rather race without the wing. I enjoy the challenge and not the help of air to make me "fast". But it is not about me or Duerson. It is about all the other competitors and their experience at Skip Barber. I want all of you to have a better experience and be able to race close. So when you get out of the car and rejoice in the memories and have the thoughts of good close racing which brings you back month after month.

See you at the track.
Old 03-02-2007
Skippy Instructor

Great racing all around! Thanks to Todd for having Sid build the device and let us test it 2 years ago! We have tested it at every track we go to and it works great! It has taken a little time to go into effect and if Matt deserves the credit, great. Thanks Matt.

The ironic bottom line is the series formula car is better than it has ever been ...since new! All it took was listening and $4 worth of aluminum. Thanks again to Todd for not letting the idea die.

There is no substitute for the expressions of first time winnners (GO Harsha!) and new podium finishers. This new aero improvement to the car will add to that experience and I look forward to being there with you when it happens!!!

Less Brake & More Gas,
JP
Old 03-02-2007
slidewaysslim
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Has anyone ever seen Harsha and slow hands in the same room? It used to be slo poke, but not after the last regional!
Old 03-04-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Slight hi-jack of a thread (away from Sebring to points westward). Based on the results info on the Skippy site, the times at Laguna Seca this weekend were pretty quick, even with dry and sunny (and perhaps cool) track conditions. We have already had a discussion of the effect of the Hamster Device on drafting, but what about cornering? Did the Lagnua racers feel that cornering speeds were higher due to the new rear wing?
Old 03-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie
Slight hi-jack of a thread (away from Sebring to points westward). Based on the results info on the Skippy site, the times at Laguna Seca this weekend were pretty quick, even with dry and sunny (and perhaps cool) track conditions. We have already had a discussion of the effect of the Hamster Device on drafting, but what about cornering? Did the Lagnua racers feel that cornering speeds were higher due to the new rear wing?
Ted, we didn't have the new wings at LS this weekend. We actually didn't have that many CARS to use at LS, either...

Harsha was there and kicked butt, so it's a trend - though he and I went searching for a Pet Store for a Hamster Action Photo.

Note, times at LS have been coming down due to the new pavement as well; the last weekend they were even quicker due to the weather.

Bookmark This Thread