Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 01-13-2006
Team Flying Randalls
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Help with Hans install on Arai GP5

Hello everybody,

I know this has been mentioned in other threads,
but I wanted to start fresh.

From what I've read from others here, you slide the Hans
wrench slowly and carefully under the padding to get
access to the area for the nut - - my question is: do you
start from the base of the helmet, sliding the wrench up
towards the hole from the bottom or do you start from
inside the helmet and slide under the ear piece padding
with allows much closer access to the hole on the inside
of the helmet??

I know this isn't rocket science, and I actually haven't
tried anything on my hemet yet, it just arrived yesterday,
just trying to save some time and frustration from you
guys with experience We've got two Arai GP5's, and a
new Bell to get set up this weekend to prepare for our two
day advanced at Daytona - - we thought we might as well
use that time to get used to the Hans units as well as the
RT2000's - - -

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Steve

Last edited by Sz28r; 01-13-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: help with Hans install on Arai GP5

I went bottom up. Frankly didn't even consider top down! As you said, there is no right or wrong for the wrench.... I found it to be a pain in the ass to align them, but then it went smoothly. (I am easily irritated!)

A few things to remember:

1- HANS wants the slot in the bolt parallel to the floor when you are seated in the car.
2- They are very specific about the length of the tethers! Read the other thread and their website... maybe even call them for the latest thinking.
3- Have someone who is experienced help you belt into the car with the HANS (again, there are tips in another thread).

If you are going to wear the HANS... do it right.

ENJOY the 2 day!!! We are all jealous that you will be in a car... no matter where we are at the time!
Old 01-13-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

I went straight in under the padding from below the post hole as well. You want to take your time working the nut and wrench in under the padding. It's a tight fit but if you exercise simple caution you'll be fine. Michael is absolutely right about orienting the post properly, getting the strap length right and making sure the shoulder belts are seated on the HANS properly when you use it the first time.

I recall laughing when the post installation was finished, realizing how nervous I'd become while doing it. Remarkable how concentrated you get when the nut and post at the end of your wrench holds the gravity of saving your life! :-) A healthy pucker factor there...
Old 01-13-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

I'm not sure if you've seen this on the HANS site, but here are the anchor mounting instructions:

Anchor Install Instructions.pdf
Old 01-13-2006
Team Flying Randalls

Thanks guys
Old 01-13-2006
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

uncle rod's is a simpson
Old 01-13-2006
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

he got an arai
Old 01-13-2006
Team Flying Randalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR1126
he got an arai
When did that happen??

Give us a call when you want to get together and mount the
posts for the Hans devices - -

DJ, did you try any more with your Arai??
Old 01-13-2006
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

he ordered one and it got here thursday- he secretly ordered it and didnt tell me haha but we do want to get together with u guys sometime this weekend so ill give u guys a call on saturday- how do you like your helmet? o and also i tried to get my hans on before i saw this post and i had trouble but now i am going to try it again- thanks for the help!!

-DJ
Old 01-14-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
If you are going to wear the HANS... do it right.
That is absolutely correct, and this seems a good opportunity to re-visit what that means.

Before using my HANS the first time, I scoured the TJR web site as well as other sites to see what information there was on the use of a HANS, especially how to avoid some of the problems that others had encountered. Among other instructions, I found these from Gerardo Bonilla (aka BoBo):

"My HANS stays securely installed every time. I've posted HANS fitting in the Skippy car on Juicy before, but here it is again.

"1. First tighten the lap belt as tight as humanly possible. Remember to pull the strap forwards and backwards as you pull it toward your hip, this helps get the last few webs to tighten.

"2. Next place the shoulder belts as far to the inside (toward your neck) as possible. Do one initial pull of each belt to snug them somewhat, then using your hands, pull both belts again toward your neck.

"3. Now, you will tighten each shoulder belt, alternatively. Each time you pull down and release, use your hands to re-align both belts as close to your neck as possible. Then pull the other belt. Re-align. Pull the first, re-align, pull the second, re-align, continuing until it just won't tighten anymore. It is very important to re-align the belts toward your neck each time you pull.

"4. As you tighten the shoulder belts and re-align, make sure that the belt falls over the inside forward edge of the neck yokes (the ends closest to the center of your sternum).

"5. Taller drivers have a harder time fitting the HANS than shorter drivers."

On top of these comments, I have a few of my own to add based upon my experience at the Advanced 2-Day school and a race weekend.

A. You simply cannot tighten the belts sufficiently by yourself. Ask one of the mechanics or another driver to help.

B. Make sure that the belts are properly positioned. Again, you will likely not be able to do this as well as can someone who is standing there looking at you, so get someone to help position the belts initially.

C. Exhale to the fullest extent as the straps are being tightened.

D. Alongside BoBo's admonition to tighten one side, move the belt toward the center, tighten the other one, move that belt toward the center, and back and forth, I have another step. To help achieve the tightest possible fit, I drop a shoulder slightly as the strap over that shoulder is tightened. When you do this, make sure that the strap stays on the inside portion of the HANS device.

E. When you think that the straps have been tightened as much as possible, push against them with your body (i.e., squirm or otherwise move around a bit). You would be surprised at how much slack you can create when the belts stretch, which they will do under stress. Have the straps tightened again. On the track, the forces will be much greater, and you will slide around, creating pressure against the belts. Do your best to minimize the additional slack that can be created; eliminate the potential slack beforehand.

F. If you find that one of the straps has slipped off in mid-race, come into the pits and have the mechanics tighten the straps. Your safety is more important than whatever time might be lost (and the mechanics can tighten your straps pretty quickly -- just give a thumbs up when you approach them, pop open your visor, point to your straps, ask that the straps be tightened, and you will be on your way before you know it). Again, safety first.

G. Lastly, and this is truly meant to emphasize the point, you need to have all of the straps as tight as can be done (not only the shoulder straps, but also the waist straps -- sliding around in the seat will work against a secure HANS).

Others have commented that they feel even more secure in the car with a HANS device, and I agree. To anyone thinking of going onto the track without some sort of head-restraint, please read the very long but very worthwhile thread on the HANS device.

Finally, I should comment that I sent George Ayres an email asking that when the Skip Barber people are coming up with a design for a new vehicle, attention be paid to the positioning of the shoulder strap mounts (the HANS home site has info on this). My hope is that the incidents of shoulder-strap slippage can be reduced if not eliminated.
Old 01-14-2006
Team Flying Randalls

Excellent - thank you

Bookmark This Thread