Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 08-30-2004
Petey's Dad
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 54
Dear Skip Barber, regarding Mid-O

Chris,

Kelly took my credit card number at the track. Please apply the $1,000 crash deposit to this event and charge the balance on my card number. I will not be at the final 2 events. You guys kill me.

1. No water left during a 15 minute black flag session for group 4 on Race day, just ice cubes in the hot sun.

2. A new car (#81) was given to me just before the race day 2 session. I asked for it to be tested just before I got in, since it ran no time over the weekend.

"It's a Daisy. Perfect car, like new"

All I heard after the race was a bunch of SBR people saying "I'm sorry Pete".

I got hosed in the second race of Barber Park because it was less then worthy Sunday. I said nothing about it after having a very embarrasing drive, I let that one go. Did not want to be labeled as a complainer. Although I did comment before my race started that it looked like it went threw the Amazon jungle with what was hanging off it, all I heard was we need to get the race going , it is fine, just dirty, "boys clean this car please". "Fine" proved to be greatly incorrect.

Mid-O went too far. I needed to do well this weekend to try and stay in the running as you know. And to even try to win, I need a car that is equal to, not better, just equal, that is all I and most everyone in the series is asking for. Most certainly on a track such as this with long important staright. It's like Russian Roulette everytime we go out, Trust some of your experienced drivers when they approach you in the future and talk about power and handeling problems, we are not always wrong.

Before SBR loses more loyal customers, I suggest you guys pay special attention to the top drivers that are left in each group running for positions, every point is important to them. One tester should be dedicated to making sure the cars are equal so they all have a fighting chance. This would be a tremendous indication that someone actual gives a shit. Take that to your leader please.

Last edited by sydude; 08-30-2004 at 07:48 PM. Reason: corrected some font problems
Old 08-30-2004
WillowCross Racing
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Re: Dear Skip Barber

Kudo's to Sid for putting little Pete on the radio during the race, and trying to make light of what was clearly a very frustrating event for Peter (and no less painful to watch). As the race played itself out and it was obvious what was going on, Sid (as only Sid could do), put little Pete on the radio and told him to tell his father to "put your foot down on the accelerator, Dad!" You could hear little Pete sucking the air into his lungs and mustering all the strength he could to yell into the radio at his father.

"Put your foot down on the accelerator Dad!," he said as loud as he could.

It was a priceless father-son moment. I hope they both never forget it...

Last edited by macdod; 08-30-2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2004
Petey's Dad

Thanks Don, I did not even know that had happened!

Waving to him in Turn 8 everytime I came around was what kept me going. I came real close to parking it in front of the start/finish on the track, and walking away.

Petey is my joy and inspiration. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, to all you guys that helped me with him while I was in the car. It was very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	Petey on the web.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	35  

Last edited by ML Peter Ludwig; 08-30-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2004
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Pete

You are the second guy today to tell me they plan to quit racing with SBR because of mechanical problems. So far, the other guy hasn't had the cojones to voice his opinion publically. Maybe you will inspire him.

I have been fortunate so far... but will be really pissed if my title hopes are dashed because of unequal cars. (I can manage to screw it up all on my own, thanks!) Equal cars is one of the 2 biggest reasons to race in this series.

Hope this gets resolved and you come back. I'd hate to have to listen to Matt Franc in his Goofey hat at the banquet!!

MJA
Old 08-30-2004

Peter, That sucks.

I got a blow-by-blow from someone else there. You drove a dog. Hate to see that happen. I was looking forward to the postings to see how you made out vs. Matt.

JEC
Old 08-30-2004
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Dear Skip Barber, regarding Mid-O

Peter:
1. They gave the fast car to Ron Capps ;
2. SBRS can't afford to lose drivers that are [a] loyal and [b] fast;
3. You should take this up with Aaron Hollander. As you know, the responsibility always belongs to the top guy. He's the one who gave the organization the signal that saving a couple bucks on $20,000/year mechanics was a great business idea.
Dom Bastien

Last edited by sydude; 09-07-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2004
Petey's Dad

I sent a letter to SBR and expect them to advise of corrective action steps. I have had enough and need to move on to something i can enjoy again.

I made a lot of good freinds at SBR, I'll be by to say hello.
Old 08-30-2004
PointBy
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Peter - say it isn’t so. We are losing TOO many seasoned and just plain great guys in the series, just look around SBR. For our own personal friendship, I hope you reconsider, but certainly respect your decision. From my own experience it doesn't matter, all you get is the company-line as they read it from the manual.

While the CEOs’ occasional face time is unconvincing, there seems, at least from my personal perspective, to be a growing disconnect between SBR and their race-series customers. It seems now that the level of one-to-one communication is simply; racers meetings, instructors feedback and…well that’s about it. On yea, and assuring they have our money. Can’t remember last time a SBR came over and just said, “great race” even if you finished 10th or just initiated a conversation. That personal touch/interest, at least for me, has gone by the boards.

Now my most important comment, thank God there is a real racecar driver in the Ludwig family, just look at Petey’s hand position, eyes-up and that smile – will those umbrella girls love to help him find the “racing line”!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML Peter Ludwig
Thanks Don, I did not even know that had happened!

Waving to him in Turn 8 everytime I came around was what kept me going. I came real close to parking it in front of the start/finish on the track, and walking away.

Petey is my joy and inspiration. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, to all you guys that helped me with him while I was in the car. It was very much appreciated.
Old 08-30-2004
Coaching little league

Hey Peter -

Sorry to hear about another negative experience this year. For whatever reason, you seem to have taken the brunt of the inconsistency. And considering that you're in the thick of the fight, that's most unfortunate (to say the least!).

I guess that Dick Lippert's letter has had minimal impact thus far (though at least he got a decent car this past weekend!)

I also guess that I chose a good season to take some time off...I was hoping to do one or two in September-October. I still hope to - we'll see...

Peace

:tom
Old 08-31-2004
Petey's Dad

Thanks for the nice words Dave; we’ll be hanging soon, probably in the Cup Car pits or Rolex 24, which ever comes first.

Tom, you did not miss a thing this year except being around a bunch of really good guys in make believe race cars. Your time on the boat with your family was time very well spent.
Old 08-31-2004
Petey's Dad

Formula 1 World Champion 2020

Set your calenders! It's Petey time!!

Name:	Petey on the web 2.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	36  

Last edited by ML Peter Ludwig; 09-08-2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2004
Petey's Dad

Practice

Petey and his Druggy cousin

Name:	Petey on the web 4.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	38  

Last edited by ML Peter Ludwig; 08-31-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2004
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Hey Peter, as usual I'm gonna talk some trash...

My boy's gonna kick your boy's butt in 2020! YES! It's gonna be like Schumi vs. Monty!

Old 08-31-2004
Bavarian Berserk

I have a hard time seeing that future. Sy, you know I love your kids - but I just have to doubt that they possess the right hereditary disposition .
Old 08-31-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkmama
I have a hard time seeing that future. Sy, you know I love your kids - but I just have to doubt that they possess the right hereditary disposition.
How can you say that? There have been HUNDREDS of Jewish Iranian Grand Prix drivers in the past - what better racing pedigree could you ask for?
Old 08-31-2004
Petey's Dad

Is that a boy or girl in that helmet?
Old 08-31-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Is that a boy or girl in that helmet?
It doesn't matter. Either one is still gonna kick some Ludwig butt.
Old 08-31-2004
Too fast to race

Excuse me. DEAR, lets be very clear here.
The reason our son would kick some serious ass (not necessarily Ludwig's - Petey is quite fond of the checkered flag) is because of the "African" blood -
Imagine a combo of Uncle Mpowa's "zeal and determination" and "disregard for fear" and mom's wisdom and patience (learned from being married to you!!) and daring nature, your racing "genes" might actually pay off!!

Last edited by sydude; 08-31-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2004
Coaching little league

Quote:
Tom, you did not miss a thing this year except being around a bunch of really good guys in make believe race cars. Your time on the boat with your family was time very well spent.
I did miss something - I miss all you guys...a lot!

I hope to see you all in September or October...in the meantime, remember who the biggest fish on the track is!

:tomahawk

editor's note: The 'sportfishing' posts in this thread have been moved to their own thread which can be found here. Sometimes threads go off on a tangent, and so we may move those posts off to their own thread as we've done here. We've decided to leave in little Petey, though, as big Petey requested.

Name:	192b.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	46  

Last edited by sydude; 09-07-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-05-2004

Re: Dear Skip Barber, regarding Mid-O

I’ve thought a lot about Peter’s car experience at MO and want to offer another perspective. I am sorry Peter had a bad car and know how much he wants to compete for the championship. It can seem personal when it happens and some take it quite personally. But if anyone of you has never had a bad race car that performed badly, I’d like to know and I’ll build a statue in your honor. Each of has been there, done that, got the tee shirt and, hopefully, moved on. We are driving race cars that we all abuse mightily and should. Race cars are not as reliable, and cannot be as reliable as we and SB would like.

The idea that SB finds any advantage in sending anyone out in a car that isn’t as equal as possible strains credulity. There are limits to what can be controlled and equalized during a race weekend, but I’m impressed that testers do listen and attend to issues that are raised. Not always or as completely as any of us would like, but they’re not happy when unequal cars are in the field and their apologies are sincere when that happens. A MDNF gets a free memorial.

My perspective on race car reliability comes from working on race cars – as far back as the D-A Lubricant Special Johnny Thompson drove in 1957. More recently I remember the series of changes SB had to work through when the Dodge engines arrived – Revere and I both ended one race in the gravel trap at Canada Corner without brakes – and more recently the Midwest Masters race called off when A arms were breaking – and the flat tire I had while leading and holding off Roland Isra for the Midwest Masters Championship – and… I’m sure the list is memorable for each of us. If one thinks there’s a better place to race, then one should go there. So far, SB is the best I’ve found, take them for all in all…

John Greist
Old 09-05-2004
Thumb-alina

Good thoughts John. It's good to hear the other side of the argument. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-07-2004
Team OC/AD D

John, thank you and welcome to the board. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that your views and opinions are especially highly appreciated and valued, and contribute significantly to our aim in making the Skip Barber experience the best that it can be.

Members, I think it's important to note that every driver here who has criticized SBR, no matter how harshly, also appreciates it and wants it to succeed. If the criticisms seem too harsh, it's probably a combined expression of frustration and 'tough love'. And that's why it's important to hear the other side as well. As moderator, I hope that we will always strive to present an accurately balanced view.
Old 09-08-2004

John G is right. You must keep things in perspective.

For the last year and a half I have been experimenting with other series for the next move up in racing. I am moving up NOT because of of a dislike of SB but BECAUSE of the training I have recieved from SB which I am eternaly grateful.

Most of you did not see how bad I was in my first year racing. I was going to quit, but continued on with the encouragement of Divi and the instructors. I was REALLY bad. They suggested I take a Car Control Clinic. Back then I never would have thought I would ever drive a Barber Dodge Pro car or race in the Daytona 24 race( and finish). With the help of these guys I did. The biggest asset ( and underappreciated) of SB is the instructors and employees.

Some of the best friends I have ever met (and I have met many living in different parts of the world) have been fellow racers and employees through the SB experience. These friendships are long lasting and will not end as I do other racing.

The one thing I have discovered in the last year and a half of trying other series is that SB is still the best deal in auto racing. Try some other racing and you'll see.I have done SCCA, Grand Am, Rolex, and Pro Mazda. I crashed a Corvette Z06 into a wall twice because of faulty mechanical preperation. Who had to pay for that? Me and my fellow team mates. Ask Dario, John Mayes, Mark Patterson and Jim Victor about showing up for a SCCA endurance race all prepaid only to have the team show up without a car. Or ask Mark Patterson about getting all suited up, helmet on and ready to hop in his Pro Mazda to start a race when he couldn't go because the mechanics underestimated the time it would take to change out an engine. He was pretty frustrated to sit on the sidelines and watch me race. However, he is coming back. Talk with some of the Pro Racers at SB like Nick Longhi, Pete Argetsinger or Jim Pace about mechanical DNF's in pro racing. This happens. It's racing.

We abuse the hell out of the Skippy cars as we should. The Pro Mazda car would never take that same abuse. Big 4 offs or straddling a high curb can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage. There's no $4,000 limit either.

Could you imagine crashing out your Pro Mazda in qualifying or practice and the team giving you another car? Ain't going to happen. Of if someone crashes into me and it's not my fault do you think the damges will be split? No way. Tough luck.

Granted there have been avoidable mistakes in the upper managment side that were evident in the begining of the season. Todd, Divi, Keith Dalton and others are trying their best to rectify these things that were not their doing.

I still love SB and the people that work there. The employees are very passionate about what they do and do the best they can with what they have. The ONLY reason I am not going to the Glen for the Finale Masters Race is because it conflicts with the Pro Mazda race at Road Atlanta. I will do some select SB events in the following year to catch up with some of my friends and perhaps take some instuctors out for dinner.

If it's not fun, don't do it.

Great website, Sy.

John Pew
Old 09-08-2004
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Videos Re: Dear Skip Barber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp56
I crashed a Corvette Z06 into a wall twice because of faulty mechanical preperation. Who had to pay for that? Me and my fellow team mates.
Sorry JP but I must air this video tidbit of one example of the quality car prep from Michael Baughman Racing.......brake failure at WGI......

Major Major (23 sec)
(announcer wrong, it is JP who suffered from their poor race prep, and they're not cheap)!

I think everyone agrees the staff of SB Racing is a great group of people who work hard to make the experience the best it can be.

Last edited by cdh; 09-15-2004 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-08-2004
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112
Growing pains and perhaps an option

Clearly the ploy to keep Peter from dominating the field by having him pilot the world's first RT-1699 at Mid-Ohio backfired terribly.

Perhaps some of the frustration expressed by long time regulars is sourced in changes as the company continues to seek its stride since Skip's departure. Aaron Hollander is a successful business man who, as a former series racer, knows the excitement of the race series first hand. But he is a successful business man first and racer second. It's a safe bet that, with Skip, it was racing first and business second, if not in official policy, certainly in spirit.

When the guy who signed the checks changed from racer to business man, the true believers who spent years with Skip surely didn't enjoy the shift in perspective or financial restraint. However, unless I'm mistaken, if Aaron and his partners hadn't stepped in, the only opportunity to sit in an RT-2000 might have come from purchasing one at a liquidation auction. Aaron may look like a bad guy when he makes tough business decisions for the future but an expansion just before the economic contraction after 9/11/01 was probably what put things on the financial cliff that he inherited.

As much as Aaron loves racing, you can bet he and his investment partners wouldn't be messing with SB if they didn't believe its unique assets (And I'm talking about the experienced staff, instructors and mechanics who are its soul, great brand name along with all the equipment and track/office locations) could be grown into a vibrant profitable business on an even larger scale.

That's where push comes to shove. Surely it was difficult to lose Skip as the company director and maintain high motivation for staff, instructors and mechanics when the new leader was in a (justifiable) cost cutting cycle to keep things financially viable. Morale must have taken another hit when the Champ Car feeder series went away. For those pure racers who were with the company when it was smaller, more personal, and leading the field in all areas, this has probably been a very difficult time.

In its current state I doubt anyone is getting more bang for the buck than we are, given the number of legendary tracks to chose from, the level of support and feedback from highly qualified instructors, and the comaraderie and competition created. It may be different from what it was a few years ago but we have the power to influence what it becomes going forward.

Perhaps one solution, in a case like Peter's, is to find a smarter way for points leaders to rectify an unequal car situation after the fact. Obviously it should never come to this but... what if the top five points contenders could, for a fee, challenge the car he or she has just driven as being out of spec? The car would then either be tested, on the spot, or put in isolation in clear view, until it could be properly tested later. If the car is out of spec the challenge money is returned, and the driver is offered a free make-up points race or a refund (drivers choosing). If the car is within spec the racer loses the challenge fee and any points won in that race. Perhaps challenges should also be allowed against cars that appear to hugely over perform as well. The important part is making the cost to both sides high enough that cars are kept to spec and no one uses a challenge unless something is way out of line (as Peter's case appears to be).
Food for thought anyway.

There is so much good that has been created by this company and its devoted members. It is really important to remember and celebrate those achievements while wrestling with the growing pains.

I'll have to remember this enlightenend perspective the next time my 11 yr old daughter, "Julia" has a bad day, sees me as the source of all that is wrong with her life, rolls her eyes and reduces her communications to one word answers.

Ah well.

Adios

Last edited by dalyduo; 09-10-2004 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2004
Selfish Bastard

Can Someone Call The Wham Blu Ance:

To date I have read all the posts regarding Peters “Tragic” events at Mid-O and Barber. John Pew and John Greist I applaud you. Your thoughts and comments expressed my feelings to a tee. In fact I am glad you wrote them first where as I would not have been so eloquent.

I must say that I feel for Peter and every other SBR Series student that has had these sorts of mechanical issues. I really do. I have been racing with SB since 1996 spent over $300K and have had only 1 Mechanical Issue and this was at my first National event in Sebring FL. Other then that I have had Mechanical issues in the Pro Series car, one of which was at 139MPH when the throttle stuck coming down the backstretch at Sebring. Regardless, I have beaten the SHIT out of the Skippy cars and undoubtly there have been some MDF for the next guy that straps in.

Yes, I have had cars that I thought were DOP or handled like shit. But along came my friend Craig Duerson, some young kid or one of the testers to MOSTLY prove me wrong. That’s right they hoped in the car I have been driving, beat my time, beat me and taught me more about racing. I did not start out wining I learned from the RAT PACK, and I always had fun winning or losing. Now, I can tell the difference between DOP and handling issues.

SBR Series has 30 cars available to any of us at any given weekend unless of course Aaron has his cut backs again, but the point is as race car drivers it is our responsibility to know what we need or want out of a race car, speed means a lot but we also need to understand what we want out of that car. This takes seat time. Just ask RHR, I saw him at Homestead a few years ago in a 360 Spyder killing some F40 under-braking and cornering but down the straights the F40 passed him. This shit went on for hours till the F40 through it in the trap. Thus the better driver prevails. After wards I spoke to RHR, he did not complain about the power issue. He was happy with the result he and his team put together plus the fact he was happy to be racing and he learned patience and technique that made him a better driver.

I would also add that most of this new crop of regular guys have missed out on what SBR Series is. Lets face it most of the regulars have money to go and race at any level they choose. But the fact still remains SBR is fun, cost effective, travels to race tracks all over the country, has some of the best employees in the sport and THESE GUYS ARE FUN TO HANG WITH. I hope to be the longest running customer ever. NOT the customer with the most trophies, THE LONGEST RUNNING CUSTOMER.

This is where most of the new “regular” guys do not get it. Obviously John Pew and John Griest do. Yes I know John Pew is an investor and has money at stake…. but HE GETS IT. He is at the track till it goes cold, he is out having dinner with gangs of 20+, he asks questions, he makes a contribution to the sport and the company. HE ****ING GETS IT. You guys just bitch about the cars. HOW about asking someone who is faster then you for a lead follow, how about asking an instructor to figure out your driving style, how about doing a lapping day, how about doing an extra session, how about doing the computer car, how about staying late and not running off to your hotel rooms to be by yourself…. Yes, your naked self. The fact is that we are somewhat successful, shrewd business people and we think we know everything. But we do not and when we think we are fast, someone faster or more successful could show up and beat us. It is life.

How would each of you like to be told by your staff everyday that you produce a shit product? Well I do not think that any of us would allow that to happen for long. GREG, JP, RB, AIR SYDNER, BOBO, MHP, JASON have bad days. Or maybe they are just sick and tired of racecar STUDENTS telling them their car is shit. Well maybe it is but when we say it is DOP, handles like shit how should they respond? Oh yes….. They should kiss all of our Asses. Guess what, if they did we will still be there come the following weekend and the results would not change. The fast guys are fast. PERIOD. So if you do not like the car try something else. One great thing about SB is that they have spares, sometimes 10 sometimes less. BUT THEY HAVE SPARES. Imagine what it would cost to have 10 back up cars for you race team. A SHIT LOAD. I can guarantee it will be more then the $3K for the entrance fees at a Skippy weekend

You guys want a team… you got a team, one that costs about 5K a weekend with travel, even some crash damage and hopefully a tip of the boys. Oh yea, when the team has a bad weekend you should not kick them in the teeth as some of you guys are doing now. Tell them thanks and that you learned something during this weekend. Maybe it will be race craft, setting up or completing a pass. Or something other then I LOST my car was DOP or SHIT. Trust me I would like some of you guys to complete a pass on me. Lately it has been Peter…..

There was talk that I will was not coming to the GLEN since I locked up the Championship. Why would I not? I like to race, drive Skippy cars, hang with the crew, Sid, BoBo, Todd, Jason, RB, the girls and everybody else who shows up. I do not bitch about who I race with. I want to race the best of the best. If that is Peter, Marco, Duerson or any of the National kids, I do not care. I say bring them on God Dam it. … YES CRAIG even you. So, if the wieners need some help to try to win at the Glen….. I will do one of 2 things: 1, start DFL or 2- Maybe I will swap cars with one of you guys that say my car is faster then yours.

Lets try to forget about what’s best for our selves and do what best for the company. So if you want to be cancer I will bring some radiation to the Glen. So, lets show up, shut up and have fun. If you are not having.….. GET OUT because all you are doing is bringing the others down.

If you guys think Roger Penske cares who won the Expert, Championship or Sportsman groups you are mistaken. WE SUCK. Just ask Marco Andretti. I beat him last year… shit now I probably cannot keep up. Maybe Duerson can. But I want to try. Not complain that he should be in a different group. ****, if we are CHAMPIONSHIP Caliper we need to race the fastest guys, no matter who they are. We are old want to bee’s that never was. Just be happy and have some FUN. FUN!!!, THAT IT WHAT IT IS ABOUT…. FUN, GOD DAMN IT. HAVE YOU GOT IT YET. IF YOU DON’T COME TO THE GLEN AND HANG WITH ME AND THE SKIPPY GUYS, WE WILL DO OUR BEST TO MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND IT.

My comments are not a dig to any individual but an overview of my 7 years in Skippy Land. I have heard it all, said it all and done it all. This is by far and a way the best racing series in the world. Even Aaron cannot screw that up. But you guys may! This is a business and if we are to cater to the minority then the minority had better find 60 friends with disposal income of about 50K a year to come every weekend to keep SB open. Where as I poke fun at Aaron I applaud him and the investors that put up millions to take over this company. I am not making excuses for Aaron; he has definitely made some mistakes. He may not get the entire racing life style or fully understand today but do you guys…. This is a for profit company and last time I looked Aaron and the owners have more money then we do. So either they are smart or incredibly lucky. The competitive circumstances that face the day-to-day running of SBR Series these guys have done a good job. Yes some investors are not happy with Aaron but they have a stake in the business. We do not. Oh yea… there is always room for improvement. The staff tries everyday to make the experience better for every customer, yes EVERY CUSTOMER…. Not just the selfish few that thinks they are fast. So pony up a mil or so and get on the Board. At least this way you will be doing something constructive.

See ya at the Glen with or with out Peter.

4 & Counting

Matt Franc
Old 09-08-2004
Grand Master

Amen........
Old 09-08-2004

Still time to run at Road America this weekend where sunshine is promised with temperatures in the 70s. Hope some of you will join the Midwest finale and transfer your points to the Eastern Series.

Best, John Greist
Old 09-10-2004

Matt doing what he does best. Having fun!!!

Name:	Daytona and Friends.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	50  
Old 09-10-2004
Selfish Bastard

Has anyone seen EGBAR? Last time I saw him he was in Sebring.... I am offereing a $250.00 reward for his safe return. Luckily, Simple Green was kind enough to send me another one for The Glen. WHERE IS THE CHICKEN?
Old 09-10-2004
Bavarian Berserk

For starters I would like to establish that I am a huge Skip Barber Fan. Like for many of you, Skip Barber has opened an entirely different world for me. To this day, after three seasons of racing, I still have very fond memories of the three-day racing school.

I still cannot get over the fact that there is a company that enables mere mortals like myself to actively experience the thrills of motorsport for an adequate fee.

But the experience that SB provides to me exceeds the mere tangible aspect of racing. I fully enjoy the trips to the tracks, the camaraderie in the paddock, the competitiveness but also the diversity and personality of the instructors, the cool and always helpful mechanics, the charming girls, the professionalism and courtesy of the office staff etc.….SB has become an element of life style.

I am assuming that many of you have similar memories and feel a comparable affection for your hobby and the brand that empowers you to pursue it.

Having said that, I would like to suggest that none of the discussions in this thread are designed to judge if SB is “good” or “bad”. However, I have the feeling that lately the discussions have taken this turn.

In my view, the big benefit of this chatroom is, that it can serve as a sounding board, as a creative think tank and sometimes maybe as place to vent.

As most of you know I myself am involved in marketing a premium brand to a very demanding and passionate clientele. It is those customers who do not cease to interact with us, to share their opinions and to let us know what we should do better who keep us honest and who motivate us to get ahead of the curve. Actually it is also this kind of customer involvement that represents a high motivational factor for my peers and me.

If people become emotionally involved, they release more energy than if they are indifferent. Energy is a good thing.

To me, this is the way I have always perceived - and continue to do so – TJR.com (or at least the SB related section of it). I believe that it is a moral obligation of enthusiastic and supportive customers to adopt the role of being a partner and not just to “consume”.

So in this spirit it is not really so important if Peter had a slow car or not. Of course it is too bad, but we all know stuff like this can happen. What seems important to me is that there is a sense that cars become more and more rare, that there is less and less testing done, that cars without proper safety devices (I am counting now 6 cases of absent brakes!) are sent out, and that this is a common concern. This naturally reduces customer satisfaction but it also is something that can be addressed by Skip Barber.

I am unable to judge how to best run a racing series but I accept that cost management is a priority in every business. However, if you save cost at the expense of the product experience, then this will ultimately reduce your market share.

TJR.com provides Skip Barber a free insight in the notions of their customers and their likes and dislikes. Again its purpose is not to break judgment if the company is good or bad but to provide feedback on things that go right and things that go wrong. It is up to the management’s discretion to enter the dialogue and/or to take appropriate action.

Last edited by birkmama; 09-10-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2004
selfish bastard racing
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4&counting
Has anyone seen EGBAR? Last time I saw him he was in Sebring.... I am offereing a $250.00 reward for his safe return. Luckily, Simple Green was kind enough to send me another one for The Glen. WHERE IS THE CHICKEN?
I have it,and it will cost you a pair of Jimmy Choo SHOES.By the way, can you drive in that thing?

Last edited by sydude; 09-10-2004 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added in the 'Quoted By' segment
Old 09-10-2004
Petey's Dad

Shake the tree

I know my comments posted on juicy were abrupt. At the same time I am confident that my outspokenness will allow and prompt those involved to improve how situations and deficiencies are handled in the future. Trust me, I get plenty of this treatment from my own customers, and realized the importance of making them aware that I was concerned and advising them of a corrective action plan for the future, and implementing it.

At the individual level, I do have a high respect and admiration for many people within SBR and have learned a tremendous amount about driving, and myself, over the years. My frustrations needed to be taken seriously and I know I did “shake the tree” very aggressively, I feel it was needed.

SBR, I think, can become a better organization based on what it experiences, but it is important to implement noticeable changes to improve the program when a short coming is recognized. This builds confidence, moral, and certainly a better company.

I might need to come to the Glenn just to kick Matt's ass. Petey wants that stupid goofy hat, he has not stopped talking about it and I can not find one on the internet, even when I search under "stuff you would never wear"
Old 09-10-2004
Selfish Bastard

Peter...

Looks as if you almost get it..... I am glad, under all the German skin lies a fun man.

The real story about the Hat is.... Loser needs to wear it. That was the deal between me and Craig. Till I beat him I need to wear it. Plus my daughter likes to see me on the Skippy Home Page wearing it.

If you come to the Glen you had better start DFL with me or I may have to FLIP-FLOP and out qualify you to start P1.

I am available Mon-Wednesday next week for Dinner. Sid said he may even come and meet us.

We can get him to pay.... but I think he may use the mechanics fund.

Matt
Old 09-10-2004
Thumb-alina

Martin...

Martin, that was perfectly put. You summarized my feelings perfectly. Thank you. You saved me a lot of time in preparing a response!

By the way, where did you get the new found command of the English language??
Old 09-10-2004
Bavarian Berserk

Englisch Learned korrekt

Mike,

THX 4 da comp. Ever heard of Da Ali G Show? Booyakashaa!
Old 09-12-2004
selfish bastard racing
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Matt and Peter, the GOOFY hat is meant as a humbling sign of defeat and must be worn for the podium shot.I personnally have never had to wear that cool of a hat. I think Sid should auction the hat off at year-end for the mech's fund. I'llopen the bidding at $50.00. P.S. Bring it and your A game down South. Signed Craig Who
Old 09-16-2004
Petey's Dad

I will be at the Glen and can't wait! Matt and I will start from the back. SY has mentioned he would join us. I would like to prompt IVO to get in the back too!

Looking forward to a great time with you guys.

Peter
Old 09-16-2004
WillowCross Racing

"Wacky Waces at Watkins"

I also will be joining Matt, Peter, Sy, and company in the back of the pack in the Championship group.

The big difference being I am doubling at Watkins and assuming that I will actuall have to qualify to get back there with the fast guys (huh?) and be used as moving apex (apex, ass**** take your pick) for the Peter and Matt "Wacky Wacers at Watkins" event.

[Note: Peter and Matt are thinkin'...I hope that big mouth, fat assed bastard spins in qualifying so I don't ever see (or hear) him. Maybe they should just consider having SB reverse the grid for the whole field? That way they won't catch till the (hummm...let's see where will they catch me...?) the esses on the uphill, yeah that's it, the esses. That way they'll have plenty of room to pass me before the bus stop.]
Old 09-16-2004
Grand Master

Re: "Wacky Waces at Watkins"

Sounds like its going to be six wide on the last row of the starting grid. Which begs the question: If everyone starts at the back, who's in the front? If you start in reverse gear everything will work itself out, but cdh will need to work up a new reverse map for the Glen.
Old 09-16-2004
administrationistperson

Talking Re: Dear Skip Barber

mmmmmmh, nelG sniktaW........

lots of possibilites

scariest new turn????? 11, er I mean 1 would be fairly treacherous.

The Toe would be actually be more fun I think, or would that be the Ingrown Toe? naaaaah

Have to do without the Inner Loop, No Need Loop, no, The Bus Doesn't Stop

I think 2, I mean 10 would really be a screamer.....

mmmmmmmmmmh

Last edited by cdh; 09-16-2004 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2004
Thumb-alina

So who starts up front?

I hope me!

Actually Pork Chop and I discussed it. We don't think Ivo should start in the back, but Matt, Peter, and Sy should. In fact, the top three point holders in EACH group, at the beginning of the weekend, ought to "man up" and start from the back to make the competition that much closer.

So, Messrs Smith, Cook, and Anti... what do you think??
Old 09-20-2004

Don't know the chicken's whereabouts, though Peter Dannon may.

Now that Peter is joining the inverted field at WG, sure wish I could too. I expect to hear the clashes - hopefully no crashes - from Montana.

If Ivan's aftermath is still spinning tornados, the RT 2000 wings may finally generate some meaningful downforce.

Have a great weekend.

John Greist
Old 09-21-2004
administrationistperson

Ahhh Peter Dannon, I hadn't thought about Peter in a while.......

Old 09-22-2004
Team OC/AD D

Re: So who starts up front?

Guys,

Bad news for me. I can't make the Watkins Glen weekend. Have a great time and drive safely. I can't wait to hear the great stories from all of the inverted grids! Make sure you guys all get in-car videos.

S
Old 09-22-2004
Coaching little league

Same here - I was hoping to sneak up to the Glen but, alas, it doesn't look like I'll make it.

Have fun and I hope to see you all at Lime Rock...

:tomahawk
Old 09-22-2004
Grand Master

Alas, I too am Glenless... But!

Hi diddle dee-dee, it's LRP for me... too.

I'll have the Ultra Lap Timer at LRP for anyone who wants a demo.

Ye Ole' Cranky Race Codger Sez:

"Play nice at the Glen. Go Fast, be safe, and make sure those shoulder straps are correctly tightened up over your HANS device... Never buy dentures on the internet... Chew your food... Leave a light on in the bathroom... Wear clean underwear...Check your mirrors... And for God sake brush your teeth!...Nurse! Nurse!... Where are my pills!??... Ohhh Look!... Cows!!! ZZZzzzzzzz, ZZZZZzzzzzzzz."

Be kind to your waiters. Goodnight!
Pat

Last edited by dalyduo; 09-23-2004 at 12:16 AM.

Bookmark This Thread