Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 05-11-2011
GrandMasterB
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 57
Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

Back in '99 I was doing my first race ever at the age of 52, I was a little nervous to say the least. As I was strapping in Sid walked over so see how I was doing. I asked him if he had any advice for a first timer. He replied "just get through turn 1." It was some of the best advice I ever received.

Condolences to his family, we will miss him -

Bob & Noreen Manzella

Last edited by OLDMAN; 05-12-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-11-2011
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

The Family of Sidney Brenner invites you attend a celebration in honor of a life well lived

Sunday, May 15th

1 p.m. – 5 p.m.

CrystalSprings Country Club in the Rotunda

1 Wild Turkey Way
Hamburg, NJ 07419

For those flying, Newark Airport is the closest.

If you need accommodations

973-827-5996 extension 2
http://www.crystalgolfresort.com/

Please come with your favorite Sid photo (be prepared to leave it behind) and at least one funny story to share.

Please forward to anyone you feel would want to attend and call if you have any questions or need further information.

Todd
Old 05-12-2011
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'll never for get the exchange he repeated to me between him and his then 12 year old son:
Son: "Dad, are we rich?"
Sid: "You're not."

Priceless.

I've known Sid for most of my adult life and he taught me many things. Most importantly... how to laugh.
He was many things to many people, but for me he was one thing. He was Sid. He will never be copied, he will never be reproduced, he will never be genetically engineered to be better than he was. He was the best. He was Sid. And I loved him for everything that he was.

Todd
Old 05-12-2011

Gallery Images: 6

Sid was one of those people you probably get a chance to meet only once in life - full of the joy of simply being around his family and friends and doing the things he loved most - once of those things was being involved with his SBRS family both on and off the track. During our frequent weekly phone calls (when we weren't talking at the track), we would talk about everything - why he hated Canadians, why he loved Canadians, asking me to bring maple syrup to the next race weekend, our latest scheme to liberate money from Skippy Drivers for the mechanics fund......so many things. And at the end of the conversation, just before we hung up Sid would say "you know, I hate everyone - I just hate you less" and we would exchange a few similar pleasantries back and forth for a few moments and some times Sid would say "I love you" just after he said goodbye - classic Sid. An amazing man - and my good friend - I will miss him beyond simple words, I will keep him in my heart always - and I agree with you Todd, I loved him for everything thing he was.
Old 05-12-2011
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

From Divi yesterday... before the celebration of Sid's life was announced:

"I just read that Sid died last night. This is overwhelming and I am deeply saddened as I’m sure everyone who knew and loved the dear man will be. I write this remembering all the happy days at Lime Rock with Sid in charge of pretty well everything and making us all laugh.

I’m thankful I knew him but now it will be hard to visit a race at Lime Rock without him.

If you know when and where his funeral is please can you let me know as I would like to attend?

Take care

Divi"

Last edited by dalyduo; 05-13-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2011
Former Eastern Series Reg

It's never easy to deal with news of a loved one or friend passing, but this struck me especially hard. Like many of us I met Sid through racing with Skip Barber. And many of us have made lasting friendships along the way. Sid is one of those friends that I will be forever grateful for having known. I wasnt one of the fast guys at the start, but he befriended me just the same. As time went on, there were a few struggles in my life that I had to deal with. Sid was always there to lend an ear, offer advice, and most of all just a call to check and make sure I was ok. He helped me laugh through the bad times, and because of his friendship, I know I'm a better person today. Sid was one of a kind. I know we are all richer for having known him.

I'll miss you buddy.

Joe C.
Old 05-12-2011
maxheadroom
Rookie / Advanced Member (<10 Posts)

Ok. So it's 1996 or 97. I've been racing the Eastern series for two years or so after doing school in 1994, which means LRP four times a year. Having been a semi professional speeder for all but the first 2 years of my driving life, I am radar detector equipped, but still engaged visually like it was before such devices existed. By visually engaged I mean going so far as to spotting dirt tire tracks onto the road from behind an obstruction which could hide John law (though most officers are not so ambitious as to hide when VASCAR arrived). I consider myself fast, wise, and uncopable on the road.
I'm on the way to LRP on 44 short of Armenia (Lukemia?) in my 968 doing about 15 over, or 70, which was as fast as I thought I could brake and beat a VASCAR equiped cruiser to the punch by shedding at least 5 mph before he could pop me. Suddenly, a screaming SUV comes into view behind me doing at least 100. I slow slightly in case it's law, but no worries, this lunatic passes me with at least a 30 mph closing speed. I'm being conservative. Arriving at the track, I spot the vehicle and it's owner. You got it. It's Sid. We know each other pretty well by this time, as he's always around, usually hanging with Len Foreman, a guy I have my sights set on. I ask him what he was doing. He says to me "it's a time thing".
I am speechless. He's entertaining himself by trying to beat his best time to LRP. And that was Sid, not racing due to his heart, he haad more race in his heart than I did.
Old 05-12-2011
Limeyracer
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Sad news indeed......... beyond words. Sid made every race weekend and post race dinner party all the more memorable. I can't claim to be a close friend but he sure made me feel like one. After I inherited my one and only SBRS win after first and second place were gracious enough to collide in front of me, the first words I heard at LRP the following weekend were "Hey winner, how you doin?" made me feel like a million bucks, never forgot it.
My sincere condolences to Sid's Family and Racing Friends

John Stickler
Old 05-12-2011
Martin Zimmerman

I am saddened by Sid's Passing. Genorous. A more genorous man I ever met.

I am better for having called Sid a freind.
Old 05-12-2011
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Western Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

I am at a loss for words. Sid was OUTSTANDING, never met anyone he did not like (even me).
We will miss him. I am glad that I got to see him and talk at the Southern Finale.
Godspeed.
Old 05-12-2011

What great pictures of Sid everyone has posted….he was the most incredible and thoughtful man….and one of the funniest!
But I remember him as the racer….he was dedicated, and driven. Racing was his passion!!! and he went on the track determined to win…and he did! He always raced the good race, was a true sportsman and cheerleader to all.
It was Sid and Laura and Vic and me…always hanging out together, always supporting each other, always laughing, always having the best time we could…..but always loving to race.
Sid was the emcee at all the Skip Barber end-of-year banquets…and a better emcee there couldn’t have been. He had a story for every award given, and great stories they were. One year I was awarded a “Pair of Brass Balls” and one of the guys got an award for the “Best Bikini Underwear”. His passion to make the mechanic’s fund better than it was the year before is legendary….at one of his “auctions”, I bought a pair of multi colored laces for my racing shoes for $50.00.
And who can forget the games of Liar’s Poker after a race…standing in a circle 30 to 40 strong with Sid leading the challenges?!
Sid, you were the best…and the only man I had ever met who ironed his paper money so it would fold better. The world is a sadder place because you are not here…and I will miss you and carry you in my heart forever.
Susan Blodgett
Old 05-12-2011
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

I remember Sid very well- from the time I cam to Skip Barber in 1993 as a recent 3 day grad through my racing days, and in to flagging. He was always supportive-in his own way- and he will be sorely missed.
Old 05-12-2011
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

Wink Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

I must tell a short story here. I came from a far different culture than Sid, and I had not travelled to much to the New England area much in my life. The first time I met Sid was in about 1999. I disliked him from the moment I met him. He made a snide remark about my southern accent and being an inbred, and that my eyes were so close together, my new nickname was flounder. I told him I " I had you dude, and I don't even know you.'' He said " good, I hate you more than you could hate me".... pause, crickets, come to dinner with us tonight." And from that moment on, I knew that I would be very close friends and pretty much family with him. He had that energy. He had something that you just can't teach somebody, and that my friends.... is to care. Sid cared so much about the people he was around. That is something that you just can't replace. The gruff and loudmouthed "yankee" did in fact become one of my best friends, and did in fact become as close as any family member of mine. Sid and I spoke almost every week at least in the last 5-6 years and grew very close. Sid told me just last week, "Hey Goma (his accent hides the fact that he's really trying to say Gomer)... "hey Goma, you are my favorite inbred in the whole wide world." We just laughed and laughed. Sid, I miss you so much and my prayers are with you and your family. I love you brother, Keith

Love the glasses so far down that they are useless... another inside joke picture....
Also, Gabby Chaves not sure what to think as Sid grabbed him and passed him. Sid brought a whole new meaning to slingshot passing.... pure comdey. I'm sorry for the poor quality shot.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0965.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	4310   Click image for larger version

Name:	luge%202.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	4311  

Last edited by Mopar92; 05-12-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2011

Thank you for everything Sid! When it came down to it, we worked exclusively for you and the drivers..... period. Thank you for everything you did to keep US up and running!

Our absolute best regards,
adam and shanna
Old 05-12-2011
Tire Pariahrometer
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Radio Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

Doug, Thanks for taking the effort to find these wonderful images of Sid in his element. He's one-of-a kind and his passing is a loss for all of us. See you Sunday with an older momento I've had on my wall for a decade.
Carl Lopez
Old 05-12-2011
All Heart, No Money

It takes years to get to know some people, with Sid, it took about 45 seconds and in those 45 seconds you would come to know someone whom you would never forget and always look forward to seeing........unless you had not yet contributed to the mechanics fund that weekend. : )
For those of us fortunate enough to know Sid, without him there, the track will always seem like something is missing. For future racers who will only hear the stories, they will know that they missed out on knowing someone who was really special.
Old 05-12-2011
Burger Flipper #2

Gallery Images: 4

Earliest memory of Sid... I was racing in the series and working as a Mechanic. Sid and Tony Monk were relentless in badgering me to contribute to the Mechanics Fund.
Me; "But Sid, I AM a Mechanic..." Sid's response; "So?"
Old 05-12-2011

The SBRS has always attracted participants (both drivers and staff) possessing great intelligence, wicked humor, and abundant joie de vivre, in far greater percentages than one finds in the general population.

Yet even among this special group of people, Sid stood out from the crowd.

He will be missed.
Old 05-13-2011
Tire Pariahrometer

My first reply was flippant, and I appologize.. If I did it more accurately, I would have written...A Jewish-Italian guy walked into a bar and asked if there were any Skip Barber Instructors there? .The Bartender replied, "No, but I neeed your signature. Is that American Express or Master Card?
Old 05-13-2011
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

I only met Sid once at Mont Tremblant in 2007, but his effectiveness at cleaning out my wallet for the Mechanic's Fund that weekend has certainly inspired my ongoing efforts for the Mechanics Fund out West. In Judaism, it is said that people live on through the acts of goodness they performed while alive and in the hearts and minds of those who will always cherish their memories -- and, as these threads illustrate, it is clear that Sid will live forever in the Skippy family. My thoughts are with his family.

Ross
Old 05-13-2011
Marketing Wonk

Does anyone have pictures from "The Great Lime Rock Park Lawn Mower Race of 2009" they can share? Sid drove my tractor that autumn day and was WINNING like Charlie Sheen until he realized it was a two-way race. I took a ton of pictures but they are all on a server in the Lakeville office and anyone who has access is down in Atlanta for yesterday's Open House.

Thanks,
Jimal
Old 05-13-2011

I only have this one, but Alex or Mike should have tons!

-adam
Old 05-13-2011
Marketing Wonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.457RS View Post

I only have this one, but Alex or Mike should have tons!

-adam
Thank you. Of course Murph and Arb had to go big with the John Deere's and the trailer. Great fun.
Old 05-13-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

I have the mower video (courtesy of Dave Cwikowski) to be seen on Sunday at the Sid-ebration.

ALSO - if you have any unique photos of Sid and can email them, that would be great (Lee Englebardt just emailed me some fun shots he took). We can add them to the slide shows, or possibly use them in the tribute video. What I don't have are any pre 2001 pics or video, nothing from his racing days - I would love to get hold of any 'vintage' Sid shots. What I have are shots from the SB site, my own, Sue Auriemma's, etc. the mainstream stuff. So if you have any off the beaten path shots you'd like to share that would be fantastic - please email them to Doug at cdh88@optonline.net

Only 10 attachments per email, thanks (hey, I can dream can't I?

Last edited by cdh; 05-13-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2011
Marketing Wonk

Doug,
That is great. Thanks. I contacted Mike Marino but he is in Vegas visiting with family that came in from out of the country so he is understandably unable to access his material. I have a family thing going on right now but I'm leaning toward getting there tomorrow.

Jim
Old 05-14-2011

I was lucky enough to meet Sid in the mid 80's and have been friends ever since. Sid, Susan, Vic and I were inseparable at the tracks. Sooo many fond memories it's hard to know what to share...so I will touch on something not mentioned yet- Sid's INVENTIONS. It 's a shame that Vic and Sid never marketed their "toe-nail clipper...with a catch bag." that would have been right up there with post-it's! Or...when I was recovering from major spinal surgery, Sid would call me EVERY day for months. In one of those calls I complained to him that I was frustrated that I had not been able to shave my legs (a frightening thought!). The next thing I knew Sid custom made me a razor with a two foot long handle! Only Sid! Of course I still have it after 22 years (so much of Sid was in that touching gift that I could not bear to part with it). I will bring it with me tomorrow.
I will always love, and now, miss you my friend,
Laura T.
Old 05-14-2011

When I think of Sid I think of him standing on the podium at Lime Rock berating the racers with “You are a load of losers.” The new students were always shocked but soon they understood and enjoyed the quick mind and amusing speech Sid delivered to encourage them to give to the mechanics fund.
The Skippy staff, instructors and mechanics looked upon Sid as their favorite uncle. He was always there to discuss their problems and many times helped with more than just good advice mixed with his special type of humor.

I will always be grateful to him for pushing Walt and I to have our grudge match memorial race at Mont Tremblant whilst he took bets in aid of the mechanics fund. It was a memorable race and one I will remember for ever but now I have to come to terms with the fact that both these dear friends have moved on.

Dear wonderful Sid our lives are richer for knowing you, your presence will always be felt at Lime Rock where you were the life and soul of the race weekend and the friend we could rely on. You will never be forgotten. Rest in Peace.

Old 05-14-2011

Reading all of the Sid posts is a trip down Memory Lane - I can't be there tomorrow but will honor Sid's memory every day.

Sid and I talked every now and then over the last 10 years, usually when I was with another Skippy alum.

I was in Craig Duerson's dental office one day in Florida and we called Sid - Sid's comment, "I guess this is the first time you've been drilled by a Skippy guy and it cost you less than a thousand!"

I will always remember Sid

It has been said when one is sad at a peson's passing "Don't be sad because someone died, be happy because they lived and touched your life." Sid certainly lived and touched a lot of lives - always for the better.

Vinny Nesci
Old 05-17-2011
administrationistperson

Photo Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

Here are Kyle Gimple and Tony Buffomante in the No. 68 Capaldi Racing Mustang GT joining in the Grand-Am tribute to Sid
Thanks for the pic Todd, if anyone else has photos of other cars at VIR with the Sid decal, please post here or email to me, would like to add them to a video...thanks!

Name:	gimple-vir-2011.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	4313  
Old 05-17-2011
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

The arrival of Todd's email was a complete shocker. My heart sank. Sid was so many things for all of us, as has been shared graciously in this thread.

Sid taught me a life altering lesson about personal responsibility. He also turned me into a regular contributor to the mechanics fund the three years I was a driver in the Skip Barber National Series. I'll never forget one time I was writing a check for $100 to give to one of Sid's helpers. Sid was nearby, walked up, and put his arm around my shoulder and said, "Gerardo, make it $150." How could I say no? That was a lot of money for me, but I knew the mechanics had even less and deserved more.

I didn't know Sid as well as many of you, but Sid was someone who didn't leave anyone out. As has been written already, Sid cared.

I had my camera at the Lime Rock Mechanics Fund Lawn Mower Race, so below are a few photos for you all to enjoy. If anyone needs higher resolution copies, please send me an email.

It's wonderful to see so many new faces join the forum to share their experiences with Sid. Thank you to each of you.

My prayers are with Sid and his family.

Name:	IMG_4116.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	4314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4119.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	4315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4124.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	4316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4138.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	4317  

Name:	IMG_4149.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	4318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4151.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	4319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4175.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	4320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4179.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	4321  

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 05-17-2011
administrationistperson

great pics, thanks Bobo, the two with Phil and Sid are so good.
Old 05-17-2011
administrationistperson

Exclamation Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

this just in....thanks Sy

Boys,
Good seeing you on Sunday, wish it were better circumstances. See below message from Rick Ratajczak, FYI.
May want to pass the word?

Best,
Nick

Hi Nick,

Just a heads-up, during the SPEED broadcast of this past Saturday's CTSCC race from VIR, I organized a nice Sid Brenner RIP moment, done by Dorsey, using your 13 RumBum BMW M3 as the on-track image. This was done past the 1/2 point and obviously before Matt was taken out of the race.

The VIR CTSCC race will air on SPEED this Sunday 5/22 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern. There is a rebroadcast the next morning (5/23) at 2) a.m. Eastern.

I'm sorry I will not be able to attend the service for Sid, but felt this was the least I could do to help honor him. As you know so well, Sid was a great man and the biggest ambassador Skip Barber Racing will ever see.

Take care,

Rick Ratajczak

Last edited by cdh; 05-17-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2011
administrationistperson

Exclamation Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

Continued Celebration of Sid Brenner’s life at Lime Rock Park – June 10-11

During the SBRS race weekend at Lime Rock Park on June 10-11, we are organizing several things for all of us to celebrate and remember Sid.
  • At the end of the day on Friday June 10th we will be gathering in the hospitality/paddock area to enjoy some appetizers and refreshments and share stories about Sid.

• We have created both a decal and embroidered patch in honor of Sid and the Sid Brenner Mechanics Fund. All proceeds will benefit the Fund.

• We would like to do a Memorial Race in Sid’s honor on Saturday June 11th after the regular races.

Who knows, this might be the first of many Sid Memorials? We look forward to seeing you at the track and joining together in Sid’s honor.

Sincerely,
Todd Snyder

Last edited by cdh; 06-01-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2011
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Nick Longhi sent me this note and the accompanying picture of a Matt Plumb celebrating their GS win at LRP, with a tribute sticker to Sid on the winning car:

Quote:
Sy,
Matt and I gave Sid a better ride than last time (got crashed out at VIR), we won the GS race at Lime Rock yesterday (bottom right of post race picture below).

Nick Longhi
Click on the pic to enlarge.

Name:	GALLERY_LARGE.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	4343
Old 06-06-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude View Post
Nick Longhi sent me this note and the accompanying picture of a Matt Plumb celebrating their GS win at LRP, with a tribute sticker to Sid on the winning car:

Click on the pic to enlarge.

Attachment 4343

Awesome!!! Great sticker. Very cool.
Old 06-10-2011

I used to be a SBRS race mechanic way back in the early 90s. Spent 3 seasons keeping those race cars going. Lots of people come and go, but to this day I still hear Sid Brenner's voice in my head, and it's been almost 20 years since I've been at anything Skip Barber related. "Fear requires thought." Those are Sid's words and they've stuck with me for two decades. Funny and wise at the same time. Our lives are all better just because Sid was in it.
Old 06-16-2011
administrationistperson

Videos Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

Sid Brenner Memorial Race video - looks good in 480p

Old 06-17-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

a video for the ages. Some classic pics there-- the 3 musketeers (DD, LRR, and GregS) after an epic rain battle whose faces show the sheer joy that this sport among friends brings to us all- and what is now my favorite SB pic ever of the Department of Brain Trust Department-- NickNick holding forth and no one else paying any particular attention. particularly Sid, who is carrying on a much more important conversation while GT Subject checks his watch-- that one is truly the ultimate classic SBRS pic. Bravo Doug!

Bookmark This Thread