Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 06-01-2012
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Hey Everyone!

Hey everyone! I am a fugitive from the motocross racing world here to enjoy some open wheel madness. My brother got me into motocross, which eventually got me wanting to try new forms of racing. I am a graduate already of a skip barber 3 day race school program but I will be entering yet another 3 day race school in the hopes that I will be nominated for the Indy Car Academy! I've always been the kid staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning trying to beat his time on whatever racing game I owned at the moment (right now it happens to be Forza 4) but always figured I could never get into racing because I didn't start karting at age six or grow up in a family of car racers. I have no karting experience but I hope to make up for that using track time in a Formula Ford. My uncle was an Indy Car racer and told me to look into skip barber, and ever since I went through the 3 day school I can't stop thinking about or talking about racing Formula. I am hooked to say the least, enough so that I've already memorized the track map of my next stop and watched hours of footage on YouTube of other drivers. I want to go as far as possible with racing but I realize my slightly-sort-of-not-really old age (20) may be a hindrance since most kids start earlier, but I will do what I can! During the day I can be found doing anything from riding motorcycles to helping out at my mother's store. On a random thought, I can't sleep its 1:45 AM but I made the mistake of opening YouTube and looked up videos of Lime Rock Park, guess I'll be tired tomorrow , Anyway, I hope to be an active member here on the forums, and see you guys at the track! Here is my little chunk of YouTube, if you click on my profile there you can also see a little motocross fun.
Skippy 3 day at Sebring:
Old 06-01-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Hey Everyone!

Welcome aboard Mathew. You're in the right place.
Should we assume your interest in Lime Rock Park means your next 3 day school will be there? If not where will it be?

While many do start in their teens, 20 isn't a bad place to start. You're doing the right things with motocross and sims but the hardest reality is the cost of racing real machines. Skip Barber is the cheapest form of open wheel racing there is and will increase your learning curve faster than any other experience.

Skip Barber is the starting rung on the ladder to open wheel racing so keep working hard and make part of your journey building sponsorship as the cost of racing of any kind only goes up after Skip Barber. If you view your job as developing your talent as a driver while also making yourself valuable to sponsors you'll be ahead of most.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 06-01-2012

Yup, Lime Rock Park it is starting June 11th! I am aware of the costs of racing and certainly know my limits, but I do atleast have some familiarity with working with and attracting sponsors, I had a few for motocross. I think for cars it will be much more difficult but I think I know how to make myself presentable and marketable off the track. It's good to hear that I'm not too old though for sure, maybe its a commonly held misunderstanding that you have to start racing as a kid in order to get anywhere.
Old 06-01-2012
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Your motocross experience, if you've had enough of it, will serve you well. There are lots of things such as tactics/racecraft, mindset, feel (of rolling speed and balance through a gnarly slide, willingness to pitch the car into the corner) that will translate more quickly than you imagine to cars. One of my friends who has become a top SCCA spec miata competitor (regularly top 5, competing for wins with the big boys with sponsors and cheater motors) was a motocross racer in his teens and 20's who only started racing cars in his 50s.

The key will be PATIENCE. Take your time getting used to the dynamics and adhesion limits of a car, get comfortable, stay calm and relaxed, lose that motocross aggression until you're consistent and tidy, learn from the instructors and especially the guys on the track faster and cleaner than you, and if you stay with it you will get plenty fast in a formula car. 20 is definitely young enough to get sponsorship if you eventually demonstrate speed and maturity in how you present yourself.

Welcome to the asylum, and keep having fun!
Old 06-01-2012

Thanks for the advice! I definitely think you're right there, the patience when passing and finding lines are something that will translate well, but I have to admit my biggest problem is being over aggressive with the car, like you said. In my 3 day school I was the first to spin the car and was always trying to push it a little ways past what it could do (scared my instructor after the long straight at sebring because I wanted to brake at the second cone which quickly turned into a massive brake slide all the way though the corner, He always called me mad matt after that ..) I also managed to fry the brakes during my last session, so I probably need some braking drill work too. But I did manage to calm it down when it came time to do our final laps. So I really think my biggest problem is over extending myself too quickly, but I hope that will be fixed in time.
Old 06-01-2012
Grand Master

Lime Rock is a deceptively fast challenging track. A great learning track with elevation changes. You'll have a ball.

While starting in your teens is good, success is more a function of desire, focus, talent and perseverance . You can't do anything about your age so don't sweat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattw278 View Post
Yup, Lime Rock Park it is starting June 11th! I am aware of the costs of racing and certainly know my limits, but I do atleast have some familiarity with working with and attracting sponsors, I had a few for motocross. I think for cars it will be much more difficult but I think I know how to make myself presentable and marketable off the track. It's good to hear that I'm not too old though for sure, maybe its a commonly held misunderstanding that you have to start racing as a kid in order to get anywhere.
Old 06-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Lime Rock is a deceptively fast challenging track. A great learning track with elevation changes. You'll have a ball.

While starting in your teens is good, success is more a function of desire, focus, talent and perseverance . You can't do anything about your age so don't sweat it.
It looks that way for sure, lots of sweeping turns and fast straights. I guess I'll just keep my head to the grindstone and keep working until I'm where I want to be.
Old 06-01-2012
G-force junkie

Quote:
So I really think my biggest problem is over extending myself too quickly, but I hope that will be fixed in time.
An old saying in coaching race driving is that it's easier to slow someone down than it is to speed someone up. So you're on the right track.
Old 06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
An old saying in coaching race driving is that it's easier to slow someone down than it is to speed someone up. So you're on the right track.
Haha great!
Old 06-04-2012
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Dont worry man i amjust starting out and im 21. It is about how fast you can learn really. And i read once that a driver who tends to drive from 95% to 105% may eventually settl down to drive at 100% while a driver who slowly builds from 85% may settle in at around97%. Its by no means
a rule but just an idea.
Old 06-09-2012

Ahhh the anticipation of Monday is killing me! Can't wait to prove myself and learn some new things along the way
Old 06-21-2012

Just a quick update! My journey through my latest 3 day was quite an experience! I drove 9 hours up to New Jersey, stayed with a friend over night then drove to Lime rock the next day (another 3 hours). I starting things off a little rough by not doing my homework/finding a hotel. I slept at Lime Rock Park in the back of my Subaru WRX, probably totaled about 3 hours of sleep that night. The first day went great and I felt perfectly fine all day despite being tired, then a friend I met at my 3 day put me up in his hotel room free of charge (I offered to pay dont worry ) I felt strong through out the second day probably because I had done the drills before at my other three day. On the third day I got to do open lapping with my friend who had about double my track experience and he was faster but I was able to get faster myself through following him, which was all I cared about. Fingers crossed on the Indy Car Academy! I emailed the team at Skip Barber today to find out if I got in so we will see! All in all I had an awesome time. The only unfortunate thing about the whole thing was the day after my racing school I came down with a case of bells palsy (facial paralysis) which we are still trying to figure out.. I just hope its fixed soon because I plan on doing a 2 day at Road Atlanta at the end of July!
Old 06-28-2012

As promised, the footage from Lime Rock! Feel free to drop critizism I know they were far from perfect laps, I'm ready for some torment .
Old 06-28-2012
G-force junkie

First of all, Matt, GREAT DRIVING!!! Sadly (or maybe fortunately) I have no footage of my 3-day or 2-day, because I had no idea I would stick with it, and I was so terrible that I thought video would be a waste of time. Compared to where I was, you are already miles ahead! Here are the important things you already have in your favor:

- you are very smooth in your inputs
- you are on the gas very early in every corner (thus you have weight on the rear under cornering load, giving it traction) ( most new drivers are hesitant to add power until they get to the apex and can see the exit, and while this "feels" more cautious and sensible, the effect on the dynamics of the car mean that at the point in the corner where most of the direction change is done, the rear is light and under no input, and will very easily slide out from under you)

both these things mean that your car is very stable and predictable, and while I can't see your helmet in the shot, I bet they result from your eyes being well ahead.

These are KEY habits that will keep you on the track and out of the fence as you start to add speed. So kudos to you for developing them so early!

On the to-do side of the ledger, you've got to work harder on getting down to EVERY APEX. You will not be able to add speed safely until this becomes as second nature as your smoothness and early power application. Add this to your repertoire and soon you'll be at the head of every class. You were better in the uphill and Left Hander, I don't think you ever missed the apex in West Bend, but I don't think you ever made the apex in Turns 1 and 2 and even 4 the hit rate was below 50%. As the session progressed you started missing the Downhill.

In Big Bend, I know in these early days you weren't comfortable downshifting and turning simultaneously, so get the downshifts done early enough to turn in on time. Eventually, you'll work your way into big early blips while the car is bending into the apex. It's hairy at first, but a very cool feeling once you get the hang of it. Until then, any time you find yourself turning in late because of downshifts, move them up in the sequence so that you can stay on line. In the other corners it's just about making it a priority. In every corner, your workflow should include imagining that you are just brushing the apex kerb with your inside tire so that you know where you are. In Turns 2 and 4 a little lift of the throttle allows the nose to tuck in to the apex. Each track has it's own nuances. Listen closely on van-arounds when the instructors give you their secrets on what it takes to stay on line in a particular corner. And then your video will be very helpful with judging how well you are following their instructions.

Finally, with regard to downshifts, I can hear the transmission linkage shift a half-second or so before the blip. This worked because your clutch was healthy. Get in a car with a bad clutch, or too much rear brake bias, or BOTH and the shift lever will not budge, it'll be like it's in cement. Now is the time to work on developing perfect shift habits by practicing making your throw of the shift lever and your right foot blip one synchronous motion (drive shaft revs have to match crankshaft revs exactly when the clutch is out of the equation), so that if you ever lose your clutch (and you will) it's already second nature and you'll be able to drive around the problem losing a minimum of laptime and dog teeth. And transitioning to a car where you don't clutch on downshifts will be no sweat at all. this is the time to develop the habits that will stay with you for a lifetime.

Bottom line is you are out of the box smooth and stable with your car which will make it much easier for you going forward when all the others continue to struggle with car dynamics (like I did for the longest time). It's a great place to start. All the other stuff everybody works on and keeps working on. Great job!

p.s. re the Bell's Palsy : While it is usually due to unknown causes or a viral or inflammatory illness, and in rare cases other things, the fact that it came on right after the 3-day school makes me suspicious that it might be due to compression from the helmet cheek pads. Definitely you need a good work-up of the problem from your doctor, but if you are in good health and nothing turns up, a bad fit of your helmet might be the reason. Just a thought.
Old 06-30-2012

Thanks for the input! I definitely see what you mean by the apex's and the downshift blips, down the front straight I was getting some wobble on breaking/downshifting so that may have been some trailing clutch oversteer. I will work on that during my 2 day advanced at Road Atlanta as I realize proper footwork is essential to good lap times.
Old 06-30-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Thanks for the input! I definitely see what you mean by the apex's and the downshift blips, down the front straight I was getting some wobble on breaking/downshifting so that may have been some trailing clutch oversteer. I will work on that during my 2 day advanced at Road Atlanta as I realize proper footwork is essential to good lap times.
Also possible was gripping the steering wheel too tightly with the left hand, which can promote some back-and-forth during the braking and downshifting. (If that is what you mean by "wobble" in your description.) Hold the wheel as lightly as you can -- you will be surprised that a death grip is not required and in fact a fairly light grip is preferable -- and you will feel a lot of input from the steering wheel about what the car is doing.
Old 07-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie View Post
Also possible was gripping the steering wheel too tightly with the left hand, which can promote some back-and-forth during the braking and downshifting. (If that is what you mean by "wobble" in your description.) Hold the wheel as lightly as you can -- you will be surprised that a death grip is not required and in fact a fairly light grip is preferable -- and you will feel a lot of input from the steering wheel about what the car is doing.
Definitely makes sense, I don't have that problem when I'm turning or going straight but under braking i could see myself gripping thinking my steering wheel is going to jerk. One thing motocross did teach me was that being relaxed on the controls is essential (Arm pump is a dangerous thing!)
Old 07-05-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Who were your instructors at Lime Rock? I noticed you kept going below the grease spot on No Name Straight (backstraight). Our instructors (Bruce, Phil, Lee, Rob) wanted us to straddle it (that side of the track falls off, and "climbing out of it" scrubs speed). Just curious.
Old 07-05-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Hi Matt. Welcome to the dark side. Listen to your throttle between turn-in and track out and tell me you couldn't have caught the red/white car. And you got closer to the cones with each lap. Nice going.
Remember, at Skippy, a squealing tire is a happy tire!
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr427 View Post
Who were your instructors at Lime Rock? I noticed you kept going below the grease spot on No Name Straight (backstraight). Our instructors (Bruce, Phil, Lee, Rob) wanted us to straddle it (that side of the track falls off, and "climbing out of it" scrubs speed). Just curious.
They actually did say strattle it i got spoken to about that.
Old 07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Hi Matt. Welcome to the dark side. Listen to your throttle between turn-in and track out and tell me you couldn't have caught the red/white car. And you got closer to the cones with each lap. Nice going.
Remember, at Skippy, a squealing tire is a happy tire!
My 2nd run was so much better, i wish i had taped that one! But im sure that sounds like a load of bull haha. I agree with you though, quicker throttle after turn in.
Old 07-11-2012

Well I wasn't sure whether or not I was supposed to say if I was in the Indy Car Academy or not but I've seen a few others say it so might as well! I was nominated after my 3 day, really excited about it, so I guess mission accomplished? Now its off to Road Atlanta on the 23rd for my 2 day advanced!
Old 07-13-2012
Grand Master

Great news and congrats... Good luck!!!
Quote:
Well I wasn't sure whether or not I was supposed to say if I was in the Indy Car Academy or not but I've seen a few others say it so might as well! I was nominated after my 3 day, really excited about it, so I guess mission accomplished? Now its off to Road Atlanta on the 23rd for my 2 day advanced!
Old 07-13-2012

Quote:
Great news and congrats... Good luck!!!
hijack!!

are u RACING this weekend Pat or just practicing?!
Old 07-13-2012
Grand Master

I'll be racing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
hijack!!

are u RACING this weekend Pat or just practicing?!
Old 07-13-2012
G-force junkie

Thumbs up Re: Hey Everyone!

Quote:
Big congrats!!! Keep us posted on your journey!!

Quote:
I'll be racing!
Awesome, Pat!!
Old 07-13-2012

Quote:
I'll be racing!
darn it!
i shoulda come at least to instruct or race then.

good luck today
we need updates since the live timing and scoring is down again
Old 07-17-2012
IndyCar Academy

Gallery Images: 193

Quote:
Congrats!

I am hoping to do the same.
Old 09-02-2012

Me running a few laps at Road Atlanta! I struggled a little here to be honest, I had trouble with the downhill and a little trouble with the first turn (couldn't seem to get my line just right). I also suffered from heat exhaustion (temperature off the tarmac was around 100 so on the racetrack it was HOT) and ended up erm.. regurgitating my lunch while driving, I pitted after that happened but was out the next session. We drove 7 sessions that day alone, it was a crazy amount of driving but I had a blast! I'd love feedback on the video simply because I have so many things I want to fix next time I go there.
Old 09-02-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Was that a lapping day or the two-day advanced? Sounds like a bargain. (before the dry cleaning bill...)
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr427 View Post
Was that a lapping day or the two-day advanced? Sounds like a bargain. (before the dry cleaning bill...)
It was an advanced two day, they are supposed to be the best bang for your buck!

Bookmark This Thread