Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 04-25-2012
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Question regarding driving the MX-5 car?

Hi! I ran a few races in the Formula cars back in 2007 and 08 (MO, VIR, RA). Been having some back problems since then, nothing major but it's not getting any better even with PT, so I don't think I'm up for wrestling with a Formula car for a hour. Then I started to wonder, is it any easier physically driving the MX-5? I see the lap times are about 10 seconds or so slower. I was wondering, do they have power steering and power brakes like their street cousins? If so, this might be my ticket back to the track. Do any of you guys out there have any experience driving the MX-5s with SB? Thanks for your input.
Old 04-25-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Question regarding driving the MX-5 car?

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about your back problems.

Having driven both cars I would say the MX-5 is a much less hostile environment because they don't generate the same levels of braking, turning or accelerating g-loads that the lighter single purpose open wheel race cars do. That's not to say the MX-5's aren't big fun to drive in a pack of identical cars. Just that their production car origins will probably be much less taxing on a cranky back. Only one way to find out though.

You might want to talk to your customer service advisor about an MX-5 lapping day or two to see if it works for you.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Pat

As a sidebar, at the Sebring 12 hour race week Randy Pobst spent time lapping an SBRS MX-5 that was outfitted with multiple cameras for a video project. He came in with glowing comments on the brake and overall handling balance of the cars with their new shock package. Tip of the cap to Stephen B. and John M. who spent most of their time making sure the cars were right.

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-25-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

I switched from the formula cars to MX5's because the style is more applicable to other cars I raced (SCCA etc.) and I have more fun with them at this stage in my amateur career. Less taxing from a physical standpoint with the power steering, ABS, windshield, comfy seats etc. The car slides more than the formula cars and favors someone who can keep the momentum up. Once you make a mistake, you have to work a little harder to regain the time lost. It is a challenge, but very, very fun. Hard to explain, but I think I tax my brain more in the MX5s than my body which is good because as I age, my brain is getting smaller but my body bigger...
Old 04-27-2012

Thanks for the replies, guys! Glad to confirm that the cars are less taxing on the body, yet still a whole lotta fun to drive (and comfy seats are a bonus)! Even having brake lights might be nice, I've always been worried about rear ending someone. I've been thinking about doing some lapping/practice sessions, just wanted to be sure about the cars. I'm 5 hours from Watkins Glen and 3 hours from Mid-Ohio, so maybe I'll try to get out to those places in May and August. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2012

Hi, again. Just wanted to give you a follow-up to my question. I was out at Watkins Glen 2 weeks ago for a lapping day, and had a blast. Like you said, cars were much easier to handle. No problems with my back at all. Cars were more comfortable and easier to handle, but certainly not too easy! The only thing sore the next day were my triceps, apparently from using a death grip on the wheel!

So I'm a lot rustier than I thought . Thinking of taking the 2 day Advanced at Mid-Ohio in August. Would have done that this time, but couldn't make it those days. And boy, Watkins Glen is, how should I say, Intimidating... Lots of armco everywhere, not at all like MO, VIR, and RA which are wide open. Doesn't encourage much "experimenting"!

So thanks for the advice and encouragement, hope to see you out at the track sometime!
Old 06-03-2012
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewagreen View Post
So I'm a lot rustier than I thought . Thinking of taking the 2 day Advanced at Mid-Ohio in August. Would have done that this time, but couldn't make it those days. And boy, Watkins Glen is, how should I say, Intimidating... Lots of armco everywhere, not at all like MO, VIR, and RA which are wide open. Doesn't encourage much "experimenting"!
Super happy you've found a way to come back and have some fun with us! The more folks we can get to the weekends, the more fun we all have...both on the track and off.

Rust is normal, for sure. Mario said once that he could feel rust setting in when he was out of a car for just two weeks. Sounds like you're using your eyes very nicely at VIR and RA. I'd stay with that plan. Keep your eyes on the racing surface and you'll keep thinking those tracks are "wide open."

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith

Bookmark This Thread