Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 11-27-2013
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Helmet, radio, hans, etc?

Hello everyone,

I'm going for my first formula 3 day at Sebring in January 1/21, and want to be prepared with my own stuff for safety and comfort reasons. I plan on doing other track days, perhaps even race days, so this won't be a one-time use. (I already have shoes and gloves)

Some questions:
1. Helmet - thinking a Stilo ST4F with radio in earmuffs - thoughts or advice pro/con? Is
2. Hans - thinking a Hans Adjustable since I may run different cars
3. Radio connection - I assume the school uses radios? If so what type? (I want to get the right adapter)
4. Visor - Need a tinted visor?
5. Tear-offs - Needed or recommended?
6. Suit - I know not necessary, may get one for comfort and other events
7. Balaclava - yes/no?
8. Sebring hotels recommended?

Thank you for any recommendations or advice.

Last edited by kross; 11-27-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2013
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Helmet, radio, hans, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm going for my first formula 3 day at Sebring in January 1/21, and want to be prepared with my own stuff for safety and comfort reasons. I plan on doing other track days, perhaps even race days, so this won't be a one-time use. (I already have shoes and gloves)

Some questions:
1. Helmet - thinking a Stilo ST4F with radio in earmuffs - thoughts or advice pro/con? Is
2. Hans - thinking a Hans Adjustable since I may run different cars
3. Radio connection - I assume the school uses radios? If so what type? (I want to get the right adapter)
4. Visor - Need a tinted visor?
5. Tear-offs - Needed or recommended?
6. Suit - I know not necessary, may get one for comfort and other events
7. Balaclava - yes/no?
8. Sebring hotels recommended?

Thank you for any recommendations or advice.
Welcome aboard Kevin. Glad you found this site. (It's been a bit quiet here of late, but we're trying to keep this an active site, F*cebook be damned ).

You're going to love your 3 Day, and Sebring is a great track to get initiated on. As to your questions, I'll comment on all but the helmet, since I have no experience with that one.

2. Hans - thinking a Hans Adjustable since I may run different cars Good choice, you can't go wrong with that.
3. Radio connection - I assume the school uses radios? No radios are used in the cars normally. During race weekends, Raceceivers ARE used, and are mandatory. So I wouldn't be concerned about getting an adapter right now.
4. Visor - Need a tinted visor? That's a personal preference. I rarely use one (and rarely use sunglasses either), but they do help, and the late day setting sun over Turn 17 can be pretty blinding. Have one in your gear bag though, and you'll be covered. BTW, RainX is a good choice on your visor.
5. Tear-offs - Needed or recommended? Yes, absolutely. They protect your expensive visor. Use them all the time, except when it's raining. (See RainX comment).
6. Suit - I know not necessary, may get one for comfort and other events The Skippy suits are fine for your first school. I usually use one for Lapping and Practice days, and use my own suit for Qualifying and Races
7. Balaclava - yes/no? Yes. Besides the safety factory (in the event of fire), it's a bit of "head insulation" from the liner which has seen many a sweaty racer.
8. Sebring hotels recommended? The Chateu Elan, right at the track, can't be beat for convenience, and it's a very nice facility. The Inn on The Lake (on Rt 27 in Sebring) is also very nice, and has a nice, racing themed, restaurant. I wouldn't think you'd have any difficulty in finding a good room most anywhere, since it should be a slow week in town.

We may come by during the school to say hi, we winter in Sebring.

Viz
Old 11-29-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Howdy - Kross -

Wish I were going with you! Did my 2 day at Sebring just last September. It will probably be on one of the "short courses," awesome none the less.

1. Be sure and Call Ahead to the Chateau - if you are considering it. They do offer (but you need to ask for) Military Discount, and a Skip Barber Discount. So what ever fits - be sure and ask. BTW - You can get a room overlooking the "pool" that also overlooks the track (Convenient for guest/spouse/girlfriend/etc, if they want to take a layday - and still see the action.) The restaurant is so convenient the school had our lunches there too [part of the school fees (guests pay their own way)]. Some awesome restaurants downtown too. The Tireman will have the details there. (Indian was very nice, we liked it, and will return next trip.) Seems like the school staff stays at the Inn on the Lake. A bit of a drive in the morning - but an easy "commute." Good references for their restaurant too.

2. The local Race Gear shop opens early for Skippy participants - I didn't make it over - but if you could fit it in - maybe try before buy is a good a possibility. And, it is nearly next door.

3. VIDEO - DO Video. GoPro and the lipstick cameras are popular - or the Swan which is a Go-Pro knockoff. Its usually about a hundred bucks (with waterproof case, etc) so much cheaper than a GoPro. Quality is good = 1080p, but a little funky working the remote, worth a practice or 2 before you loose a video you wanted. I suppose you could use the mic to get your audio on the video - could be "enlightening," and if not, at least "entertaining!" RAM mounts do the job for securing to the roll bar. I got the one that uses hose clamps - other threads discuss here pretty well. Did I say DO Video?

4. The Skippy School is very accommodating to you having spouse/girlfriend/partner/parent there too. They'll need to sign waivers, etc - but if they shoot "film" - a real plus for you. [OOPS - dated myself there - video...] Track access is good from the Chateau - right at the hairpin. There are real good shots to be had from the backside of the "stands." Takes a bit of sleuthing around - and a long telephoto - but good overhead shots for the Autocross exercises on Day 1.

5. Other Gear Ideas - Balaclava, definitely YES. The helmets are pretty much, "well used." Suits; Many of the suits in September were pretty trashed too. Kieth was going to try and get some sent down as they were in much better shape at Road Atlanta. Many had zips that were shot, or torn - but those were my size - XL. You should start checking eBay and RacingJunk for suit bargains - before the season heats up. I scored a great deal just last month. You probably have already seen some helmets on sale. Again if you can try before buy that is a plus. That is another great thing the school gives you - you'll automatically know your helmet and suit size (Bell/Pyrotect).

Have a great time. If you don't crack you face from smiling - at least wet your pants from excitement!
Wish I was going - but I'm bound for Southeast Asia for winter.

Where you Look - Is Where you Go - so as they say; "Keep your Eyes Up!"

Cheers - Jim
Old 11-29-2013
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Thank you Jim and Viz. I appreciate the advice.
Old 12-04-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

kross -
"No worries, Mate."
I sent you a couple of PMs.
As you have time.
Cheers - Jim

Bookmark This Thread