Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 02-16-2011
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Skippy browser ads

Is anyone else seeing Skippy ads very frequently while browsing? I have cleared all cookies and cashes multiple times and am still being bombarded with SB ads. Not pop-ups, easy to control them, these are just the usual margin type ads, but they are large and on almost every page I browse to....gotta say it is ANNOYING.
Old 02-16-2011
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Skippy browser ads

Hey Doug. According to the person who handles our google ads, when you click on the ad and come to the site, it drops a cookie on your computer, so next time you visit the site, you're going to see the same ad. It's re targeted marketing. According to him, if you clear your cookies and don't click on the ads and go on the site, you won't be re targeted.

As for the size, the largest one out there is only 336 x 280.

...better than no marketing or web presence at all. *shrug* Some say it's too much, others not enough.
Old 02-16-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
....I have cleared all cookies and caches multiple times and am still being bombarded with SB ads
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBruSBRS View Post
Hey Doug. According to the person who handles our google ads, when you click on the ad and come to the site, it drops a cookie on your computer, so next time you visit the site, you're going to see the same ad. It's re targeted marketing. According to him, if you clear your cookies and don't click on the ads and go on the site, you won't be re targeted.

As for the size, the largest one out there is only 336 x 280.

...better than no marketing or web presence at all. *shrug* Some say it's too much, others not enough.
as stated, clearing cache and temp files and cookies and history does not stop this...and I haven't ever once clicked on it so that cookie was never deposited.

Only 336 x 280??? That is a big margin ad imo. As you know I am no novice to this stuff and TRUST ME, it is not behaving like the usual margin ads I see....not making this up, and wouldn't bother with this thread if it wasn't extremely noticeable. Has been happening for a couple weeks, I have gotten to the point of being annoyed.....take note marketing, I can not be alone on this....
Old 02-16-2011
administrationistperson

What I am trying to avoid doing....and what others might well do if they also feel the SB ads are too repetitive.

This is business, not personal. I was happy to see the ads at first, but as I said, too much of a good thing is still too much.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	blocking.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	4185  
Old 02-16-2011
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

dougie, it's possible you have some spamware that's putting ads on the skippy site which have nothing to do with Skippy. I've seen it happen on other forums.
Old 02-16-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude View Post
dougie, it's possible you have some spamware that's putting ads on the skippy site which have nothing to do with Skippy. I've seen it happen on other forums.
Possible, but aside from this anomaly I am seeing no other odd behavior, nothing, no other ads with the same behavior, which is why I brought it up. My scans have been clean, attacks blocked, spam thwarted, Zonealarm doing it's job.

Done with this, thanks
Old 02-18-2011
Skippy Girl
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Just an FYI, I have also been bombarded with Skippy ads. I too am annoyed. That said I am also annoyed by the horse grooming product ads, and anti-aging moisture cream ads. I admit I have viewed said product websites. I hate that they do that. Isn't enough that I took the time to look up your product, click the link, and view your site? No you must place ads on EVERY page I view. Please STOP trying to hock your product to me. I already know you exist. If I want to purchase I ALREADY know where to find you. It kind of reminds me of those kiosks in the mall where the creepy guy won't take no for an answer when I decline his offer to buff my nails with Acme Nail Strengthener and he continues to follow me past Limited, American Eagle and Gap still asking questions while my back is to him and I'm walking away. Aggh!!!! Give me a break PLEASE!!!!!

I also hate that I HAVE to take the extra step to stop the ads. (Mostly because I am not that tech savvy and will have to ask my hubby to do it for me)

my 2 cents

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
Old 02-19-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Guess this is a mild hijack, but did anyone see the full page Skippy ad in Autoweek with the barcode...or whatever they call 'em now? A smartphone and the right software takes you straight to a Skippy sales video. Or is this old hat to you young 'uns?
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 02-24-2011
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Guess this is a mild hijack, but did anyone see the full page Skippy ad in Autoweek with the barcode...or whatever they call 'em now? A smartphone and the right software takes you straight to a Skippy sales video. Or is this old hat to you young 'uns?
It's called a QR code and we're now using then in AutoWeek, SportsCar, Road & Track, RACER and National Kart News. We're using the code in two ads, one that takes you to an HPDS video and another that takes you to the Karting Shootout news summary. Once we get our new ad campaign and develop more media, we want to use them a lot more.

To try it out for yourself, there are many free QR code scanner apps that you can download. Using your camera, your phone will look at the code and instantly take you to whatever web page we set up. We can watch the amount of scans and track from what magazine and see which ones are doing well and which ones aren't.

Bookmark This Thread