Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 09-16-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Who's Driven at CMP?

I am trying to decide whether to go down to Carolina Motorsports Park as the first event of the winter series. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience at that track as to its character, kinds of corners, whether it is worthwhile as a circuit to learn on (ie does it demand mastering certain fundamentals and what they are), fun factor, fear factor, etc etc. Also convenience of lodging choices, whether any nice places to eat, cool watering holes (essential to any race weekend don'tcha know).
Old 09-16-2009
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: Who's Driven at CMP?

there was thread on it last year, don't know if it has answers for ya
Old 09-16-2009
Hey Wait For Me
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
I am trying to decide whether to go down to Carolina Motorsports Park as the first event of the winter series. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience at that track as to its character, kinds of corners, whether it is worthwhile as a circuit to learn on (ie does it demand mastering certain fundamentals and what they are), fun factor, fear factor, etc etc. Also convenience of lodging choices, whether any nice places to eat, cool watering holes (essential to any race weekend don'tcha know).

I like the circuit. A couple of really good turns. The banked turn onto the backstraight is a turn that many overslow and can really separate. Also turn 3 is a very hard left hander than takes some skill/absence of imagination to take at speed in many cars. I've only been there in my Spec Racer Ford so I can't compare it to an open wheel car. However I would think that in a Skippy car it would hold the same general challenges. In the SRF it's a very challenging course to do great but easy to do okay on.

Lodging is mediocre at best and about 25 minutes away. No significant watering holes to speak of that I can think of. I forget the name of the town but the one to the south is where you really want to stay. The Executive(Executioner) has only gotten poor reviews from those who've given me recommendations.

I might drag myself down for a day as I need to use up a 20% off that I've paid partially for and it's the closest outside of VIR. I don't think I'm missing out on anything spending my Skippy money there compared to elsewhere.
CircuitMotorsports@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2009
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Comments from an observer. Extremely hard on brakes, lots of threshold braking. According to carbotech folks 9.5 out of 10 in US. In an SM gone in one race wekend. Plenty of runoff area, only a couple of spots to really hit something. Back straight ballesy flat kink then left hairpin. Can be slick due to sand. Accomdations suck. Need to stay 20 miles away. Same for drinks watering holes. You may stay in South Charlotte Balletine area 45 minutes away to North for great hotels food, etc. Overall fun track and needs to be supported.
Old 09-18-2009
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

I'm in as you are aware Harsha... I'm also interested in data and insights as I've never been there before. I considered taking my road car there for a track day to get some recon but I haven't made it yet. I generally know the area and agree on the commentary. Hope to see many! gdr
Old 09-18-2009
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Heres some more info http://trackpedia.com/wiki/Turn_by_t...rts_Park_track
Old 09-18-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurningLT4Sponsor View Post
Great link! Thanks very much for posting it.
Old 09-26-2009
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

Harsha,

I raced here in the National series in 2003 or 2002 (can't remember), tested a Star Mazda car in winter 2004 (hands froze), and a World Challenge car in 2007. The final set of turns were tighter then.

Agree with everything posted about hotels and such, but as for the track, its a technical challenge for the most part. It won't captivate you like Road America, Tremblant, Sebring, etc, but it does present a tough techincal exercise. Some of the combination corners are very difficult to get right, sight lines are tricky, and the one cool fast corner is also visually tricky. It is one of the safer tracks in North America (but respect turn 3 and be sure not to hook across there at the exit).

My favorite CMP memory is Grant Maiman mind-screwing the entire National field by doing maybe three laps in qualifying, putting the car on pole, parking in the pits, getting out, standing there in pit lane with a drink while everyone else pitted for changes, time-and-position requests, etc. Years later he admitted to me he was actually quite nervous about getting out of the car, but his strategy worked that day, no one touched him in qualifying or the races. It was so hot, I think he may have preserved his tires in doing so, but mostly, it was an effective mental job.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use

Tags
carolina motorsports park , lodging , race track , track , track map

Bookmark This Thread