Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 05-10-2009
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

First race weekend track choice...

Hey Guys,

Just trying to plan out the remainder of the year, travel & expense wise. I'm going to do my 2-day at Road Atlanta at the beginning of August. So... I'm debating between doing my first race weekend at either Road America in August or Lime Rock Park in October.

Any thoughts about the relative merits or fun factor of these circuits? I like the longer course and straights at RA, but I've got a personal connection to LRP and would love to race there at some point. All else being equal, which should get the nod?

Ken
Old 05-11-2009
Skippy Instructor

Gallery Images: 10
Re: First race weekend track choice...

That's a tough choice, Ken. About the biggest divergence in track length you can get, but you can't go wrong either way. Both are great tracks, but if it was up to me, I'd opt for sooner rather than later to avoid that unsightly rust build up. You'll be able to put into practice the lessons learned at the 2-day and solidify them. Road America is not a difficult track to drive, but it is a difficult track to be fast. By that I mean it requires perfection and a lot of respect. That will help develop and reinforce discipline. On the other hand, if you do LRP, it is such a short track that you'll be able to get in a lot of laps per session. That means more opportunities at each corner to get it right.

But I still think RA would be my choice based on timing and RA being just a spectacular track you have to do at least once in your lifetime.

Come visit us in the rolling hills of Wisconsin. You'll be glad you did!
Pete

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith
Old 05-11-2009
Skippy Instructor

Ken,
Great news you are able to get back in the car for more experience and FUN! Agree with Pete, no wrong answer with those two tracks just get plenty of practice time before your race. Every where you drive at first will build your fundamental knowledge so it is all good. However the more you drive the same track the better that track feels. Go figure? Either way take time to reinforce the fundamentals of Line, Footwork, and The Procedure for Braking and you will enjoy a great time at the track.
Of course Road America is an awesome circuit!!!
JP
Old 05-11-2009
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Beware the possiblity of yellow race laps at Road Amer. Gravel traps welcome but can cost a lot of race time. It is a track everyone should drive though, amazing circuit, nice town and area, great folks, etc. One of the greatest racing venues, period.

LRP not what it was, I would opt for a RA, WGI, Tremblant, etc. More bang for buck but just my 2 cents. LRP my home track and I still understand it's positives, and a more demanding track both mentally and physically is hard to find (at least it used to be).

Best part is there is no bad decision here, just a case of pref, have a blast wherever you end up.
Old 05-11-2009
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Arrow Re: First race weekend track choice...

I would Choose RA as my first weekend. I chose LRP as my first race weekend and was totally out of my league. By the 4th lap I was being lapped, and had to spend as much time staying out of way, as I did trying to find the line and braking areas.
The ONLY way to learn LRP is in a lead/ follow. I learned when to get back on the gas and when to breathe. I think I did 3 full laps while holding one breath. I was seeing red, but not from th G's.
I know it might get lonely out on that big track, but you can spend some time concentrating on your braking points, line, etc
The little bullring at LRP is not for the faint at heart.
Old 05-12-2009

Thanks for all the good advice. My schedule is still a bit up in the air, but it's looking more like LRP for the first race weekend, as I don't think I'll be able to get away twice in three weeks in August.

Hopefully, RA will be one of tracks for next year's series. I'll plan to drive it then. Along with every other venue... :-)

Ken
Old 05-12-2009
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Since being repaved last year there are two new alternate corners that can be mixed and matched in various configurations... Meaning you may have to visit four times to learn and experience them all. The original classic Lime Rock layout is the fastest and most exciting with every other variation making the track more technical. Lots of laps and in any configuration other than classic a great opportunity to work on braking and downshifting. Always a good time there. You'll have a ball at Lime Rock.
Old 05-29-2009

I received the Skippy email the other morning about the August race weekend at Mt. Tremblant being turned into a Speedweek. So, my decision is now down to Road Atlanta for a 2-day or Mt. Tremblant for a 2-day, lapping session, practice session, and race weekend.

I still haven't heard back from Kelly as to the cost of the Speedweek, but, if it's reasonable, how do the tracks compare? Road Atlanta vs. Mt. Tremblant?

Ken
Old 05-29-2009
Grand Master

Haven't been to Road Atlanta so can't advocate for it but, as mentioned before, Tremblant is world class as a track and destination location. If the price is right I'd vote for Tremblant and let others will chime in on the merits of Road Atlanta.

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
I received the Skippy email the other morning about the August race weekend at Mt. Tremblant being turned into a Speedweek. So, my decision is now down to Road Atlanta for a 2-day or Mt. Tremblant for a 2-day, lapping session, practice session, and race weekend.

I still haven't heard back from Kelly as to the cost of the Speedweek, but, if it's reasonable, how do the tracks compare? Road Atlanta vs. Mt. Tremblant?

Ken
Old 05-29-2009

Sounds good. Also, I'd drive to Tremblant, but would have to fly into Atlanta and rent a car.

Just talked to Kelly. The Speedweek cost is $6796, including the 20% discount. A good deal, certainly, but a lot of cash in one bite to sell to the wife. I'll give it a shot...

Ken
Old 05-29-2009
Grand Master

Copy that on the big financial hit... Be SURE and bring the wife along... It's one of the most beautiful locations we go to. Big wow factor on the ski resort side where you can ride to the top of the mountain in a ski lift that runs all summer. Loads of shops and restaurants. The old Tremblant quaint village as well as the new modern one built on the mountain. Lakes, golf courses, amazing views etc. I sound like I work for the Chamber of Commerce but its one of the best for both location and track. Lots of wild life on and around the track. Deer, bear, woodchucks, racoons and moose are frequent visitors to the track. They built some tall fences to keep the animals out but now discover it works well at mostly keeping them in once they find entry. Never a dull moment but always a special place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
Sounds good. Also, I'd drive to Tremblant, but would have to fly into Atlanta and rent a car.

Just talked to Kelly. The Speedweek cost is $6796, including the 20% discount. A good deal, certainly, but a lot of cash in one bite to sell to the wife. I'll give it a shot...

Ken

Bookmark This Thread