Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 09-25-2005
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36
Adjusting Helmet Post for HANS Device

This is perhaps best answered by someone who owns an Arai GP-5k helmet (which is what I have). The fellow at Speedware Motorsports was kind enough to install the helmet posts for the HANS device on my helmet. The only problem is that he did not position the rounded bulge toward the rear of the helmet. It seems to me that I must peel back some of the foam padding to access the post nut on the inside shell of the helmet, and my concern is that I might inadvertently do something dumb (and maybe, as is true of most things, there is a wrong way and a better way to remove or peel back the padding).

Is the stuff on the inside of the helmet that holds the padding in place some sort of substance that re-adheres after being dislodged? Is there a trick to this? Am I being overly cautious and I should just rip off the padding where necessary to reach the post nut and then eventually push the padding back in place?

Thanks for any advice on this question. (I will give the Speedware guy a call, but I thought that this info might be useful to other readers of these forums too.) On a somewhat related note, the documentation for the HANS device suggests that the shoulder harness anchors be positioned about three inches apart. By any chance are the Skippy cars configured this way? Or are the anchors farther apart?
Old 09-25-2005
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Re: Adjusting Helmet Post for HANS Device

You should have received the special flat "wrench" with your HANS unit. It slips in between the helmet padding and the shell and allows you to hold the backing nut. No need to tear anything away. Just be carefull. This is how I damaged the lining on my first helmet.

With the flat wrench holding the backing nut, you can put another wrench or a flathead screwdriver on the posts and rotate them to desired position. Just be sure that all is tight when you are done.
Old 09-25-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

agreed... I have the Arai. Some of the padding comes out. What doesn't come out easily, doesn't come out.

Also, I suggest a call to HANS. I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with them. They recommended a different tether length than what it says in the manual. Also, they were particular about the orientation of the screw.

Oh, and by the way... that flat wrench IS among the items the TSA will confiscate! Learned that the hard way.
Old 09-26-2005
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Thanks Kasey and Michael. After reading Kasey's reply, I very carefully and very slowly worked the flat wrench into the extremely tight space between the lining and the shell of the helmet. It took several repeats of this procedure, but the posts are now positioned properly. As for the TSA, I guess that putting the tools in a separate container in the checked luggage is the way to go (and I recall someone pointing out that the screwdriver needed to install replacement screws on a helmet will also be a TSA problem if in carry-on luggage).

Michael, when you travel on an airplane with your gear, do you wrap towels or some such extra padding material around your helmet? Or do you do as Kasey indicated he planned to do and carry your helmet on the plane?
Old 09-26-2005
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Michael;

Was the tether length suggested by HANS directly associated with the Arai or an update to their published general specs?

Can you share what they told you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
agreed... I have the Arai. Some of the padding comes out. What doesn't come out easily, doesn't come out.

Also, I suggest a call to HANS. I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with them. They recommended a different tether length than what it says in the manual. Also, they were particular about the orientation of the screw.

Oh, and by the way... that flat wrench IS among the items the TSA will confiscate! Learned that the hard way.
Old 09-26-2005
Thumb-alina

As for travel... I have had my bag lost twice while traveling. Considering I almost never check bags, that makes the percentage VERY high. Therefore, I refuse to check things I'll need the next day. So, for race weekends, I pack critical race gear, including helmet, in a rolling duffel. I also pack toiletries and medication in that bag.

Everything else for the weekend (including screwdriver!) goes in a large checked bag.

As far as my conversation with Arai... DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION WITHOUT CONSULTING HANS DIRECTLY FIRST (my lawyer made me say that!). Basically, they told me that while the manual suggests 6" +/- 1", they prefer 5" +/- 1". The length is measured from the edge of the device to the center of the hole that fits over the post.

They also said that the flat edges of the screws should be parallel to the ground when the driver is seated in the car.

We also discussed how the belts are mounted in the car. I would ask Skip Barber to pay close attention to that issue if and when they redesign their car.

SERIOUSLY... THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ISSUE. HAVING THE HANS IS PART OF THE SOLUTION, USING IT PROPERLY IS ANOTHER. DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR ANY OF THIS... CALL HANS... THEY WILL BE HAPPY TO SPEAK TO YOU.
Old 09-26-2005
Bavarian Berserk
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
As for travel... I have had my bag lost twice while traveling. Considering I almost never check bags, that makes the percentage VERY high. Therefore, I refuse to check things I'll need the next day. So, for race weekends, I pack critical race gear, including helmet, in a rolling duffel. I also pack toiletries and medication in that bag.
Michael can spend a week in Europe, go wine & dine, drive a race car, ride a mountain bike, drive a cart AND wear fresh underwear (unverified) everyday with the contents of what seemed like an envelope. This much is 100% true and left me nothing but admiring.

I have only once checked my helmet (Delta made me against my wishes at the door of the plane) - this is when the helmet came back with a crack. They were great in handling this and it was on the way back, so not too much harm done. In my view the helmet is way too decisive to have it handled by Airport personnel out of my range of control. It will ALWAYS go with me in the cabin - even if I have to wear it.
Old 09-26-2005
Thumb-alina

In case you think you look cool carrying your helmet throught he airport...

As I boarded my flight home from Germany, the steward said:

"Welcome aboard Mr Auriemma, may I stowe your bowling ball?"

Bookmark This Thread