Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 12-19-2014
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

I have wanted to do a HPDE event for a long time. I learned of the GM discount for C7 buyers shortly before taking delivery of my C& in BG in June. Went to Ron Fellows Spring Mountain end of July. Did the three day level one class. Absolutely hooked. In May I am going back to repeat the last day of level one before following up with the two day level two class.

Thinking ahead, the question "Where do I go from there?" began to present itself. I've known of Skip Barber's school for a long time so I started doing research. Sounds like that's the answer to "Where do I go next?"

Not signed up for anything yet, but I suspect I will for a two day advanced course sometime after Spring Mountain.

After returning from Spring Mountain last August I ordered several books on race driving to kind of follow up on what I'd learned in class. Prior to that class I had never realized just how much more racing relies on skill than the ability of a car to go fast. Gotta say, I LOVE driving fast!!! - LOL - I suspect I will be attending one of Skip Barber's classes before the end of 2015>
Old 12-19-2014
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Newbie

Hi Greg... Welcome aboard,

I'm not familiar with Ron Fellows program and don't know what his level one class includes and in what vehicle (Assume a Corvette? :-) so can't compare it to the Skip Barber programs.

I'd strongly recommend a 3 day racing school in the open wheel cars or if the Ron Fellows program is deemed equivalent to that I'd take an Advanced 2-day Racing School.
Suspect the 3 day racing school would be the right place to start. You can also do these programs in MX-5's but the open wheel cars give more direct car control feedback and reveal more clearly what you're doing right and wrong. In that regard they are better teaching tools.

Driving fast is a craft that is acquired through study and practice. "Going Faster" by Carl Lopez is a great place to start your study and the Ross Bentley "Speed Secrets" books are good after Carl's book.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do and where!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregd View Post
I have wanted to do a HPDE event for a long time. I learned of the GM discount for C7 buyers shortly before taking delivery of my C& in BG in June. Went to Ron Fellows Spring Mountain end of July. Did the three day level one class. Absolutely hooked. In May I am going back to repeat the last day of level one before following up with the two day level two class.

Thinking ahead, the question "Where do I go from there?" began to present itself. I've known of Skip Barber's school for a long time so I started doing research. Sounds like that's the answer to "Where do I go next?"

Not signed up for anything yet, but I suspect I will for a two day advanced course sometime after Spring Mountain.

After returning from Spring Mountain last August I ordered several books on race driving to kind of follow up on what I'd learned in class. Prior to that class I had never realized just how much more racing relies on skill than the ability of a car to go fast. Gotta say, I LOVE driving fast!!! - LOL - I suspect I will be attending one of Skip Barber's classes before the end of 2015>
Old 12-22-2014
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Thanks, I appreciate the welcome! Yep, a C7 Corvette - GM is covering about half the cost of the two day school at Ron Fellows when you buy a C7. (If you aren't familiar with Ron Fellows or Spring Mountain check it out on Google.) After level two I will have 6 class days and between 400 and 500 miles of track time so I am thinking I should be able to go into the advanced 2 day. Communicated briefly with someone at SB and that was their take as well, but will discuss further before making any final decisions. I definitely want to do the open cars.

I bought both books right after I got back from Spring Mountain in August. They are both great. If I could just figure out a way get my feet to follow the heel and toe instructions it'd be even better.

Greg
Old 12-23-2014
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Greg,

It does sound like you may have enough seat time to go with the ADV-2 day. :-)

Either way a good set of driving shoes will help while working on your heel/toe technique. You'll want a pair if you do your school in the open wheel cars as the pedal boxes are tight and wide soled shoes a handicap.

Driving gloves aren't a bad idea either. The school has suits and helmets if you don't have your own.

Again, let us know when you decide where and when you'll do your school and keep us posted. :-)

Happy Holidays!

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregd View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the welcome! Yep, a C7 Corvette - GM is covering about half the cost of the two day school at Ron Fellows when you buy a C7. (If you aren't familiar with Ron Fellows or Spring Mountain check it out on Google.) After level two I will have 6 class days and between 400 and 500 miles of track time so I am thinking I should be able to go into the advanced 2 day. Communicated briefly with someone at SB and that was their take as well, but will discuss further before making any final decisions. I definitely want to do the open cars.

I bought both books right after I got back from Spring Mountain in August. They are both great. If I could just figure out a way get my feet to follow the heel and toe instructions it'd be even better.

Greg

Tags
c7 corvette , spring mountain

Bookmark This Thread