Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2012
IndyCar Academy
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 193
Smile Hi Skippy Forums members...

My name is David. I'm happy to share with you that I'll be attending the 3 day school at Road Atlanta in August. I've also sent in an application for the Indycar Academy.

Will anyone else on here (students or instructors) be at the August 13-15 school? I'm looking forward to learning the fundamentals of racing from, what I have heard is, the best school around.

Thanks to the admins for putting this community together.

- How you got into racing.

I love anything with an engine. My dad and mom are both car nuts, though neither one of them has any formal racing experience. I learned how to ride dirtbikes when I was young and that understanding carried over into learning how to drive a manual gearbox when I was barely tall enough to push the clutch down (with some pillows behind my back, haha).

- How you found this website.

The link in the confirmation email for my registration.

- What vehicles you play with at home and on the track.

I've always been a big BMW fan. I love older BMWs. I've had an S50 E30, 2 E36 M3s, and 4 E46's (325ci, 325ci, 330ci, M3). My friends have also been kind enough to let me drive their cars at our local autox club. I've had some fun in S2000s, Miatas, 996s and a couple M5s.

Here's a picture of my daily driver:

- Your future plans in respect to racing.

Pending things go well, I would love to work my way up through the ladder to a sponsorship. But we have to crawl before we can walk, and we have to walk before we can run, right?

- What keeps you busy during the day? Job, School etc.

Other than family, friends, and cars, I am finishing up my degree and I work 2 jobs to pay the bills.

Looking forward to meeting members on here in person (hopefully).

-David
Old 05-16-2012
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10
Re: Hi Skippy Forums members...

Hi David!
Welcome to the demise of family, friends, personal relationships and savings accounts. You've come to the right place to commiserate with like-minded individuals who are here to counsel you through any of the problems that will arise. Remember, there are only three kinds of people on this site: those of us who have been there, those of us who ARE there, and those of us who WILL be there shortly. There's always someone here for you throughout the lifecycle of your racing career.
Regarding who will be at your school, any fellow students can chime in for themselves, but instructors won't know until about July 1st. We get our schedules about month at a time, and about one month before it starts. Whoever it is, I'm sure you'll be pleased. There are a LOT of talented guys who work for Skip Barber, and you won't be disappointed.
Have fun!

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith
Old 06-01-2012

Hmm didn't realize there was an application for that Indy Car Academy, I'll have to keep searching
Old 06-21-2012
IndyCar Academy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
Hi David!
Welcome to the demise of family, friends, personal relationships and savings accounts. You've come to the right place to commiserate with like-minded individuals who are here to counsel you through any of the problems that will arise. Remember, there are only three kinds of people on this site: those of us who have been there, those of us who ARE there, and those of us who WILL be there shortly. There's always someone here for you throughout the lifecycle of your racing career.
Regarding who will be at your school, any fellow students can chime in for themselves, but instructors won't know until about July 1st. We get our schedules about month at a time, and about one month before it starts. Whoever it is, I'm sure you'll be pleased. There are a LOT of talented guys who work for Skip Barber, and you won't be disappointed.
Have fun!
Peter, thank you for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattw278 View Post
Hmm didn't realize there was an application for that Indy Car Academy, I'll have to keep searching
Matt, here's a link to the application. They included it in my registration email. Hope this helps. http://www.skipbarber.com/pdfs/IndyApplication.pdf

Will you be attending a 3 day school?
Old 07-07-2012
IndyCar Academy

Little over a month out now. Needless to say, I am very excited.

Maybe I'm going a bit overboard, but I've been studying videos online of where people go off and have their issues. Also have been doing a fair bit of sim driving on Road Atlanta. Hoping it'll pay off - if I've formed any negative habits through the sim I'm thinking good ole' Newtonian physics will help me correct them once there in the flesh. Driving without the G's is like having pizza without the cheese!

I will be very interested in comparing the digital feel of the track to the real thing...especially turn 4 -> going down to the first S where there seems to be a bit of understeer from the camber of the track...
Old 07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Little over a month out now. Needless to say, I am very excited.

Maybe I'm going a bit overboard, but I've been studying videos online of where people go off and have their issues. Also have been doing a fair bit of sim driving on Road Atlanta. Hoping it'll pay off - if I've formed any negative habits through the sim I'm thinking good ole' Newtonian physics will help me correct them once there in the flesh. Driving without the G's is like having pizza without the cheese!

I will be very interested in comparing the digital feel of the track to the real thing...especially turn 4 -> going down to the first S where there seems to be a bit of understeer from the camber of the track...
Heh I'm using forza 4 to memorize road atlanta at the moment, I'll be down there the 23rd.
Old 07-17-2012
IndyCar Academy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattw278 View Post
Heh I'm using forza 4 to memorize road atlanta at the moment, I'll be down there the 23rd.
It's great...I just wish they had some open wheel cars.

In other news...I'll be setting up my little website very soon to track my progress through the program...hopefully I'll make it past the first stage and get an invite back to the Indycar Academy!
Old 09-25-2012
IndyCar Academy

Figure it's time for an update!!!

For those of you who want to check out the site I put together, click on over to http://myroadtoindy.com

Now, I have to say I had an AWESOME time at my 3 day at Road Atlanta. Ended up learning a ton of great stuff and everyone was awesome. Big thanks to instructors Keith Watts, Cliff Sigmann, Grayson Stratham, mechanics Gibson Sepko, Andreas Tostes, and rep Chris Kretzmer. Everyone did an amazing job.

As for new news...I was selected as a Semi-Finalist for the IndyCar Academy. Awesome!!! RB Stiewing has been awesome in getting me up to speed as far as the things that I have available to me so that I can progress towards becoming a finalist for the ICA.

Lastly, I just scheduled my 2 day advanced out at Mazda Laguna Seca for the 15th of December. Any of you guys/girls going to be out there, too?

Thanks for putting this community together...really nice to have a place that I can share these experiences with!
Old 09-26-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

David...

Thanks for the update and link. Nice reporting. Sounds like you had a great time and are nicely prepared for your next step.

Looking forward to hearing about your 2-day.

Please do keep us posted.
Old 09-26-2012
IndyCar Academy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
David...

Thanks for the update and link. Nice reporting. Sounds like you had a great time and are nicely prepared for your next step.

Looking forward to hearing about your 2-day.

Please do keep us posted.
Thanks, I definitely will. I'm looking forward to trying out a new track and gaining some more experience. I'll bring something to record video this time around.

Here are a couple of pictures from the 3 day.

Old 09-27-2012
Grand Master

Great shots of RA and Mr. Watts... Looking forward to seeing your video.
Old 09-27-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Man, I'm dying to go down those esses at RAtl....

(jealous!)
Old 09-28-2012

And another thing: if something happens and you don't continue on the road to indy, try to sell that domain to SBRS or Indycar!! Well bought!
Old 09-28-2012
IndyCar Academy

Quote:
Great shots of RA and Mr. Watts... Looking forward to seeing your video.
Thanks, I have a ton more but I don't want to overwhelm this thread with too many images, haha.

As for the video, I'm most looking forward to reviewing the footage afterwards...wish I had done that at Road Atlanta! Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr427 View Post
Man, I'm dying to go down those esses at RAtl....

(jealous!)
It was great. Though, I have to say it's a bit different in real life compared to the lapping I was doing on Forza prior to the 3 day .

Quote:
And another thing: if something happens and you don't continue on the road to indy, try to sell that domain to SBRS or Indycar!! Well bought!
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm still deciding on the direction I want to take the website. For now it's setup as a place for me to share my progress. But I'd really like to see it turn more into a community for all of the ICA prospects to post their experiences, too. The more exposure we can all get for the program the better - and chances are 33 people posting about stuff will get more attention than just one guy (me) posting about my own updates. I want to see the ICA really take off.
Old 09-28-2012
Grand Master

Feel free to create your own gallery in the Photo Galleries.

Last edited by dalyduo; 09-28-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2012
IndyCar Academy

Quote:
Feel free to create your own gallery in the Phone Galleries.

Oh! Good idea! I'll definitely do that.

In the meantime, here's a link for the rest of the images. You know, in a perfect world I'd be able to drive AND take pictures. But thankfully my mom and brother were there to help get some shots off while I was in the car.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d61e7fe98e
Old 10-20-2012
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

http://www.centplay.com/affiliate/id_130/

Hello David

Thanks for the update

Last edited by cdh; 12-03-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2012
IndyCar Academy

Peter (if you're not an automated ad bot), thanks.

Little Update: excited that we're heading out to Mazda Laguna Seca for a 2 day Dec. 15/16. Should be a blast...anybody on here going to be there? I heard from a couple people that we may get even more seat time than the 3 day. Goes without saying, I am floored. Can't wait to get back in a skippy car.

Look for some photos and video coming soon!

PS - anyone know if the laps are timed at the 2 day?
Old 12-03-2012

The only timing we were offered was included in the Helix video package at LRP. Not sure if they're in the Monterey area too, but I'm sure there's some company that works with SBRS there. If so, DO IT! I regret not doing it at the 3-day also. I would have gotten more out of the two day because I would have been better able to target areas of improvement.
Old 12-03-2012
IndyCar Academy

Quote:
The only timing we were offered was included in the Helix video package at LRP. Not sure if they're in the Monterey area too, but I'm sure there's some company that works with SBRS there. If so, DO IT! I regret not doing it at the 3-day also. I would have gotten more out of the two day because I would have been better able to target areas of improvement.
Shoot...wish I had known about this earlier on. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-03-2012
Grand Master

Helix does usually cover Laguna so video may be available for download to review. Not sure if they'll give it to you between sessions for immediate review or just at the end of the day. Should be easy to find out though.

It's generally better at this point in the learning curve to focus on technique and line rather than lap times. Very easy to drive yourself off track pushing for that extra tenth, rather than focusing on keeping your eyes up, being smooth during shifting and braking, smartly clipping apexes and keeping the car balanced through transitions.

I realize you haven't mentioned using a timer but if you were considering it... Unless you've had experience using one on track before its probably best not to start at your two day.
Old 12-07-2012
IndyCar Academy

Quote:
Helix does usually cover Laguna so video may be available for download to review. Not sure if they'll give it to you between sessions for immediate review or just at the end of the day. Should be easy to find out though.

It's generally better at this point in the learning curve to focus on technique and line rather than lap times. Very easy to drive yourself off track pushing for that extra tenth, rather than focusing on keeping your eyes up, being smooth during shifting and braking, smartly clipping apexes and keeping the car balanced through transitions.

I realize you haven't mentioned using a timer but if you were considering it... Unless you've had experience using one on track before its probably best not to start at your two day.
Good points. I think it's too short notice for Helix so I'll likely end up going with a go-pro or something similar. Can't wait to get back in the cars!
Old 12-07-2012
Grand Master

If Helix is there they won't need advance notice to put a camera on your car, you just let them know you want it and they'll bolt it on. GoPro is fine but the Helix cameras have lap times and other data built in that can be helpful in analyzing what you're doing. It's also one less thing to think about when you're about to get in the car. Either way you'll find value reviewing what you've done after the fact.
Old 12-07-2012

Yeah, I thought the telemetry would be lame, since the video is relatively lo-res compared to a gopro. But I'm glad I had both. First, the GoPro batteries don't last for anything, and you get so much track time that you'll miss something good. And don't do what I did, which was record with the GoPro and the Helix at the same time... duh.

You're racing career will cost $xxx,xxx over your life. The Helix tacked on an additional $145? If you really want to save the money, buy 2nd hand fireproof underwear...
Old 01-21-2013
IndyCar Academy

Hey everybody! Big update to share. I made it! I will be with Alan and Ryan to compete this coming weekend at Sebring. Really excited, to say the least.

I had a great time at the 2 day school and even met a couple of Skippyforums members! It was an awesome experience.

I'll be posting some more pictures and videos in the coming days. But for now here's a video of my dog playing in the pool!

And to keep it relatively racing related one more that I got with a GoPro while at MLS!

Bookmark This Thread