Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 05-23-2005
Duramater
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Dario, Sam, and Kenny show Nerves of Steel

As a Professional Counselor, I have enjoyed the opportunity of doing performance coaching with Clemson University Athletes. During the recent Indy Time Trials, I was impressed with the display of "nerves of steel" by Dario Franchitti, Sam Hornish, Jr., and Kenny Brack.

"Nerves of steel," "mental toughness," the "iceman" are all euphemisms for the ability to concentrate and focus so completely on the task, in the present moment, that all extraneous thoughts are eliminated. All questions, doubts, and confusion are put aside, and the mind is clear to focus on what needs to be done. This is a common and natural phenomena. Many people first experience this ability in a life threatening situation. The mind becomes so focused on what needs to be accomplished for survival, that all else is eliminated from conscious thought.

This concentrated focus is a common experience to one degree or another in daily life. We arrive at work after a fight with our spouse or kids, and find the need to set that aside, in order to accomplish our work. We find ourselves driving somewhere and missing our turn or exit, because we were so lost in a thought. Someone speaks to us and we do not hear what is said, because we were lost in thought.
Learning to use this skill and hone it to its maximum potential, helped these men in the Time Trials. On Pole Day, Dario gave up his safe 7th place qualifying run,and went for the pole. He risked qualifying lower or even worse, not at all. He displayed "nerves of steel" on his run, which netted him 6th place. Sam Hornish, Jr., after, his end over end ride, put that aside and went out and qualified 2nd the next day. Amazing how he had time to pick which piece of debris he would hit before the crash. That is focus.

Kenny Brack put aside the trauma of his life threatening crash 19 months ago at Texas Motor Speedway. He survived a 207 G impact into the wall and the catch fence. He broke his ankles, a femur, his sternum, and his L 3 vertebrae. With a screw protruding out of his foot against his driving shoe, he qualified with the fastest time of 227.598 MPH.

These men took a common human skill, and learned to hone it to perfection. Anyone can teach themselves to do this. It is not just skill and experience with the car, it is training the mind also.

I wonder where Danica might have qualified if she had been able to set aside her nerves? It is not a skill only men have.

Susan Addison

Last edited by dalyduo; 05-23-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: Dario, Sam, and Kenny show Nerves of Steel

Susan

Where can you find info about honing that skill? Clearly, we have all done it in certain situations, as you point out. But, it would be nice to be able to 'turn it on'.
Old 05-23-2005
Thumb-alina

207g impact?! That does not sound like fun. What is the max a human body can sustain before turning to jelly?
Old 05-23-2005
Hey ya'll, watch this
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
207g impact?! That does not sound like fun. What is the max a human body can sustain before turning to jelly?
Yikes... 207g is scary to think about. Makes me wonder what kind of Gs I took at Daytona...
"I'm not a fearful person. There's no feeling in the world that I've had that's like it. You're driving something that's out of control but you're controlling it. What else should I do? Plant flowers in the backyard? Go to a barbecue? I'll do that, but this rocks my world. When you get out of a race car, the grass is a little greener and the sky is a little bluer."
Old 05-23-2005
Thumb-alina

Probably 2.07!
Old 05-23-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Quote:
Some don't need a 207g hit to turn their body to jelly.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	fatbastardstanding.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	405  
Old 05-23-2005
GrandMasterB
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 57

Jon:
You don't want to know, but I'll bet it was big! I think the hit you took would have killed me (and maybe a few other racers in this series).

OLDMAN
Old 05-24-2005
Big Dick
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Check with Sid.
Old 05-24-2005
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlippert
Check with Sid.
Sid always wears a cup.
Old 05-24-2005
Duramater

"Trust me, I know what I am doing, I am a Doctor!"

Famous quote from Van Helsing in the movie Disco Dracula!

Susan
Old 05-24-2005
Fund Raiser Racer
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

trust us we dont

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 05-24-2005
Duramater

The ability to "turn it on," or be in the zone, is the ability to create a trance state. The best method of self induced trance is the ability to recall certain internal behavioral states which already exist within our brains. For example, the sense of smell, i.e., apple pie, immediately transports us back in time to mom's homemade
apple pie. That is a stored memory and behavioral experience that we can recall in its totality. "The zone" is composed of one or more internal behavioral states which we can bring to immediate recall through the technique of anchoring. It is an NLP technique and any trained practitioner in NLP can help an individual explore and identify the necessary structure of the zone and create the recall signal.

It requires the assistance of a trained professional, which can be found through the
American Hypnosis Training Academy out of Silver Springs, MD. This is the East Coast Center which trains practitioners. NLP, Neuro Linguistic Programing, is a recent development in Psychology (last 20 Years). It has proven to be light years ahead of previous methodologies. For example, a phobia no longer requires months of desensitivity training or behavioral modification therapy. It can be dealt with in a shorter time span.

I am a qualified practicioner. It is one of the methods I use in my practice. I have helped several guys at the track. Spencer calls it " putting the whammy " on them.
It helped Zolton Bodeor, a National Racer, win eight races in a row.

Hope this helps,

Susan

Jon, If you have any trouble letting go of your wreck, I have a technique for you.
Old 05-24-2005
Thumb-alina

gee... how would I explain to my wife that "Susan Addison put the whammy on me?!"

Maybe we can talk more about this next time we are at a track together...
Old 05-24-2005
Grand Master

Just tell your better half that Susan is going to teach you how to put the whammy on yourself. Which is the truth.

But be warned! If you see Susan carrying her official "NLP Whammer" bat used for anchoring positive thoughts and behavior, be sure and wear a cup.

Quote:
gee... how would I explain to my wife that "Susan Addison put the whammy on me?!"

Maybe we can talk more about this next time we are at a track together...

Bookmark This Thread