Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 03-26-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Who's going to the Laguna Finale?

Winging west on Virgin America we're pleasantly surprised to find working wifi available on the plane. How... Civilized!

Julia's spring break coincided with the West finale this year so we decided on a family junket to visit some west coast friends and sample Laguna for the first time.

Sorry I couldn't play with Peter, Harsha, Quentin, Greg and the rest of the west and southern drivers at the last race weekend but I've no doubt there will be plenty of challenges with whoever shows up at the finale.

Greg... You in?

We don't seem to have a lot of current west coast and southern drivers on this forum so would like to reach out to them and encourage their participation. So if you know any from the other regions who don't know about us or haven't joined... Invite them in.

We now return you to your regular programming.

Who's in?
Old 03-26-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: Who's going to the Laguna Finale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Winging west on Virgin America we're pleasantly surprised to find working wifi available on the plane. How... Civilized!

Julia's spring break coincided with the West finale this year so we decided on a family junket to visit some west coast friends and sample Laguna for the first time.

Sorry I couldn't play with Peter, Harsha, Quentin, Greg and the rest of the west and southern drivers at the last race weekend but I've no doubt there will be plenty of challenges with whoever shows up at the finale.

Greg... You in?

We don't seem to have a lot of current west coast and southern drivers on this forum so would like to reach out to them and encourage their participation. So if you know any from the other regions who don't know about us or haven't joined... Invite them in.

We now return you to your regular programming.

Who's in?
HI Pat,

Virgin america DOES rock!

I will certainly be there and be glad to show you around and give you any sort of help

i recommend staying at the best western beach resort with an ocean view

remember that this is a final and compressed weekend so no racing on sunday and weekend starts thursday.
Old 03-26-2010
Grand Master

Copy that... shortened weekend. Will look forward to hearing your home track demon tweaks.

We're at the Martine Inn on the coast near the Aquarium. Don Martine restores and races vintage MG's so we're among friends.

Should be a great weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
HI Pat,

Virgin america DOES rock!

I will certainly be there and be glad to show you around and give you any sort of help

i recommend staying at the best western beach resort with an ocean view

remember that this is a final and compressed weekend so no racing on sunday and weekend starts thursday.
Old 03-27-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Copy that... shortened weekend. Will look forward to hearing your home track demon tweaks.

We're at the Martine Inn on the coast near the Aquarium. Don Martine restores and races vintage MG's so we're among friends.

Should be a great weekend.
Pat, sorry I can't be there. You will thoroughly enjoy yourself, but if this is your first time, prepare to be really challenged. Laguna combines technical corners with commitment in a way no other track does. Your brain will be taxed trying to learn the nuances of the track, but don't forget to enjoy the ride, because with the elevation changes, blind entries, and sweeping curves, it is some ride!

One caveat: I found the guys who run well there, Greg (who has gotten really quick, 1:41s with the current package shows some real skills) and the instructors included, know the track so well and have the rhythm so internalized that I found it is hard for them to communicate exactly what they are doing in particular corners. So you've got to dig to get the crucial info, because Laguna is so technical that the nuances of the corners are where the speed is. If you get your car even a fraction off the ideal line, it kills your exit. It's all about finding the right sight picture, right car balance, having the car attitude right at turn-in, so that you can go to the gas early especially with the hills. I made plenty of notes, I'm happy to share them with you if you like. If Nick Harvey is running the computer car, do not miss out, the guy is awesome.

Have fun, buddy, and keep us updated!

Last edited by Slowhands; 03-27-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6

So DD, how has it gone so far?????
Old 04-02-2010
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Subject View Post
So DD, how has it gone so far?????
I sent Pat my notes. They're the mental version of Twister. (I doubt you're surprised.) I sure hope he's OK.
Old 04-02-2010

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
I sent Pat my notes. They're the mental version of Twister. (I doubt you're surprised.) I sure hope he's OK.
Either your notes are pretty darn good or Pat is adept at mental Twister.
Old 04-03-2010
Grand Master

Thanks to Harsha for sharing those notes. MHP has been very helpful. Grant, Mikel and Kris also get credit for giving me a clue. This track is a thrill to drive. Very technical and demanding but equally rewarding when you get it right. Turn 6 and the corkscrew are amazing but every turn has it's challenges and charm so you're never far from your next wince or smile. Lots of familiar faces we've seen before but don't know very well. Encouraged them to check out Skippyforums. Hope they join us online as well as on-track.

Because I'm not in the points battle out west I'm also not in the race group competing for the championship. (G1) That gifted me with not having to do battle with the really fast kids and masters. My lap times would be mid pack in the points race group so having the fastest qualifying time in G2 is an honor I take with a healthy dose of reality qualifiers. And while I had the fastest lap I will not be starting on pole.

Toward the end of qualifying managed to clip the deterrent block the track has placed behind many of the apex curbings around the track. It broke the left front upright and ruined my pole sitting qualifying run. While I never lost control or went off track the car was too badly damaged to complete the session and that technicality sent me to the rear.

However... Having fastest qualifying time should mean a target rich environment starting at the back tomorrow. A wonderful opportunity to work on race craft and learn a lot.

So many things to like about Laguna. The track is just a privilege to be on. So challenging and rewarding... But I'm starting to repeat myself.

We're on a short race weekend schedule so both races will be run tomorrow plus a masters championship race. Need my ZZzzzz's

More to come after the races.

If you haven't driven Laguna yet... (Which means you're not in the West) You absolutely must!

Pat
Old 04-03-2010

Nice job Pat - Laguna is truly a treat that everyone should experience. Looking forward to the crushing word count report from you at days end. Good luck today!!!
Old 04-03-2010

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
If you haven't driven Laguna yet... (Which means you're not in the West) You absolutely must!
Agreed, which is one reason I have more laps on that track than any other (notwithstanding that I live on the other coast). The same sentiment applies to Road America, when and if we ever get back there ....
Old 04-04-2010
Grand Master

It was a full day.

Race 1 started P12 and managed to win with a last lap pass over Yuki in turn 5. Ugly race with multiple yellows but always grateful for a win.

Race 2 started P1 and after about 5 laps walked away for the win. Once again grateful.

Masters race started P8. Overcooked the brake zone into turn two on lap one and had to bail out of the stack up. Dropped back 3 or 4 spots. Worked back up to 6th or 7th when the fellow I was closely trailing into turn 5 checked his mirrors instead of focusing on track out and spun. The corner is a fast left-hander taken at full throttle in 3rd gear. His back end swung right and I balanced the car on maintenance throttle as long as I could, waiting for him to go one way or the other. It looked like he was going to hold his position in the center of the track and I jogged right to avoid him just as he released the brake and rolled back further blocking my exit strategy. I was able to get the front of the car past him but his left rear rolled back into the path of my left rear and I was launched first into an end over and then according to witnesses at least a double and possibly a triple barrel roll before coming to rest upside down in the gravel trap. Was awake and alert through it all. Emergency crew arrived quickly and flipped the car back over so I could get out. Only apparent injury is a bruised right wrist, probably hit the shifter or frame rail. Have a red line on my right knee that hit the bulkhead with my kneepad. Really shows how effective kneepads are. Probably in a hospital tonight with a serious knee injury if I hadn't had those heavy-duty pads on. Highly recommend 'em! Also was the only person at the race weekend that wore arm restraints and boy did that work out. This is exactly the situation they were made for.

The initial end-over impact with the track was very loud and the barrel rolls were what I'd imagine going over Niagra Falls in a barrel might be like. fast and exciting. The car shed lots of parts and the rolls were quick but not painful. Experienced no sudden deceleration though plenty of rapid rotation. The safety crew and all the instructors were terrific quickly sending word to Vicki and Julia that I was OK. Returned to the paddock in an ambulance and after declining a trip to the hospital was touched as virtually everyone came over to first express concern and then pleasure that all was well. Just feel blessed to be around so many great caring people at these events.

So now grateful comes up a third time for a different reason.

Turn five was both the high and low point of my journey here but that doesn't do justice to the amount of fun we had at Laguna Seca. West coast instructors, mechanics, drivers and emergency crews all have my thanks, admiration and respect. They were a joy to be around. Great weekend.

It’s late here and we've got an early flight tomorrow so more will follow in a day or two. Perhaps Greg will flesh things out on how his races went after a good nights sleep.

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-06-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2010

Sheesh - what a shunt!!!!! The good thing Pat, is that you emerged relatively unscathed. Nice to celebrate two wins on a brand new track - way to go.
Old 04-04-2010
Almost a master
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Quote:
It was a full day.

Race 1 started P12 and managed to win with a last lap pass over Yuki in turn 5. Ugly race with multiple yellows but always grateful for a win.

Race 2 started P1 and after about 5 laps walked away for the win. Once again grateful.

Masters race started P8. Overcooked the brake zone into turn two on lap one and had to bail out of the stack up. Dropped back 3 or 4 spots. Worked back up to 6th or 7th when the fellow I was closely trailing into turn 5 checked his mirrors instead of focusing on track out and spun. The corner is a fast left-hander taken at full throttle in 3rd gear. His back end swung right and I balanced the car on maintenance throttle as long as I could, waiting for him to go one way or the other. It looked like he was going to hold his position in the center of the track and I jogged right to avoid him just as he released the brake and rolled back further blocking my exit strategy. I was able to get the front of the car past him but his left rear rolled back into the path of my left rear and I was launched first into an end over and then according to witnesses at least a double and possibly a triple barrel roll before coming to rest upside down in the gravel trap. Was awake and alert through it all. Emergency crew arrived quickly and flipped the car back over so I could get out. Only apparent injury is a bruised right wrist, probably hit the shifter or frame rail. Have a red line on my right knee that hit the bulkhead with my kneepad. Really shows how effective kneepads are. Probably in a hospital tonight with a serious knee injury if I hadn't had those heavy-duty pads on. Highly recommend 'em! Also was the only person at the race weekend that wore arm restraints and boy did that work out. This is exactly the situation they were made for.

The initial end-over impact with the track was very loud and the barrel rolls were what I'd imagine going over Niagra Falls in a barrel might be like. fast and exciting. The car shed lots of parts and the rolls were quick but not painful. Experienced no sudden deceleration though plenty of rapid rotation. The safety crew and all the instructors were terrific quickly sending word to Vicki and Julia that I was OK. Returned to the paddock in an ambulance and after declining a trip to the hospital was touched as virtually everyone came over to first express concern and then pleasure that all well. Just feel blessed to be around so many great caring people at these events.

So now grateful comes up a third time for a different reason.

Turn five was both the high and low point of my journey here but that doesn't do justice to the amount of fun we had at Laguna Seca. West coast instructors, mechanics, drivers and emergency crews all have my thanks, admiration and respect. They were a joy to be around. Great weekend.

It’s late here and we've got an early flight tomorrow so more will follow in a day or two. Perhaps Greg will flesh things out on how his races went after a good nights sleep.
First, glad you're ok!

Second, welcome to the club! I had my first and only (so far) flip at Laguna as well, in a Skippy car. It was a corner earlier and a gear higher, T4 in 4th. I always close my eyes tense up during a violent crash, so when I opened them, I realized I was sitting in the tube frame, with the bodywork upside down next to me. Strange feeling.

JE
Old 04-05-2010
Grand Master

Lots to be thankful for to be sure Paul. The wins were wonderful but if it wasn't the finale and a close points battle I'd have been in the other group and probably woudn't have been on the podium... And full credit to Yuki who fly's in from Japan once a year to run this race! Only races once a year and was very strong and smooth. A joy to race with as was everyone in the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Subject View Post
Sheesh - what a shunt!!!!! The good thing Pat, is that you emerged relatively unscathed. Nice to celebrate two wins on a brand new track - way to go.
Yes, The fast rotation was completely disorienting so there was no way to guage the number of rotations. Had to rely on eye witnesses for that. It didn't feel as serious inside the car as it apparently looked from outside the car. Funny part is while strapped in upside down in the gravel wiggled my toes to check various body parts and blipped a still running motor! Quickly found the paddle key and switched it off but found it strangely amusing that the motor was alive, well and waiting for further instruction. Came to rest on the outside of turn 5 looking back over the scene of the crime. I had tumbled pretty far back into the gravel trap and Randy was backed into that same trap very near the track. I waved thumbs up as best I could considering my orientation and then mistakenly thought I could worm my way out of the car and released my belts. There was no way I could get my helmet through the opening between the bodywork and the gravel but didn't know that until I released the belts. It didn't make me more uncomfortable but then it looked like the car was really pinning me in the gravel to drivers passing by. Visual drama.

Sounds like you landed right side up with your bodywork upside down. Like your method better. How many rotations did you get and what was the situation that set up the launch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicyfan View Post
First, glad you're ok!

Second, welcome to the club! I had my first and only (so far) flip at Laguna as well, in a Skippy car. It was a corner earlier and a gear higher, T4 in 4th. I always close my eyes tense up during a violent crash, so when I opened them, I realized I was sitting in the tube frame, with the bodywork upside down next to me. Strange feeling.

JE

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-05-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2010
G-force junkie

Pat, I am so relieved that you were unhurt in that dramatic incident. That's a little TOO exciting for my taste. Those are the toughest situations-- trying to figure out in a very limited time where the "rotating" car you just followed into the corner is going to end up at track out, and trying to aim for empty real estate. Within a fraction of a second. And trying to monitor the other car's position in space while knowing that if you actually look at it, it's going to make it a lot tougher to miss it. Under those constraints, it usually comes out to pure chance. And hoping the other guy locks up. Really a bummer that things played out as they did, but wonderful that you are ok.

Sounds like the same place where Gerardo had a similar event in Star Mazda.

Congratulations on an otherwise stellar weekend. Except, of course, specifically disregarding my explicit instructions regarding those ridiculous red concrete bunkers. Those things are the stupidest idea I have seen in a long time.
Old 04-05-2010

"Masters race started P8. Overcooked the brake zone into turn two on lap one and had to bail out of the stack up."

I was at the flag stand of turn 2 and wow did you get lucky with this move - there was someone outside of you who you missed by 2 inches and then another one out side of that that you missed by .5 of an inch

it was the only option for you though as the people in front went to brakes miles early and you were going to crash into the back of folks big time.

I wish I had it on video

It was a heck of a move!
Old 04-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post

Congratulations on an otherwise stellar weekend. Except, of course, specifically disregarding my explicit instructions regarding those ridiculous red concrete bunkers. Those things are the stupidest idea I have seen in a long time.
They prevent cheating which doesnt justify their existence.

BTW, my biggest wreck ever so far in my skippy racing was also at turn 5, exactly a a year ago in the final LS race weekend of 2009.

I put a wheel off at the exit and hit a sand bag and then bounced, skidded and end up going through a 5 foot wide ravine (caused by the water run off).

I had a nasty concussion which gave me headaches for almost 2 months.
Old 04-05-2010
Pitlane Sasquatch
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
They prevent cheating which doesnt justify their existence.

BTW, my biggest wreck ever so far in my skippy racing was also at turn 5, exactly a a year ago in the final LS race weekend of 2009.

I put a wheel off at the exit and hit a sand bag and then bounced, skidded and end up going through a 5 foot wide ravine (caused by the water run off).

I had a nasty concussion which gave me headaches for almost 2 months.
OUCH...

Fabulous facility with a serious erosion challenge. Can be VERY unforgiving.

Exactly why we encourage staying on the road...
SD
Old 04-06-2010
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Photo Re: Who's going to the Laguna Finale?

Sandbags, concrete blocks, hmmm

Glad you're OK DD, joined the ranks of "West Coast Choppers" and "I Left My Right Wrist in SF"

One of my fav Bobo photo sequences "Style" from LS seems apropos...
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-laguna-003.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	3732   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-laguna-004.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	3733   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-laguna-005.jpg
Views:	12