Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 01-16-2014
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 12
First Lapping Session

Good afternoon all. I just got back from Homestead this morning from my first ever lapping session. I wish I could remember all of the instructors names that were there. I felt that I received the most detailed feedback at the lapping session than I have out of any of the Skippy programs I've completed so far. The morning started out with a van around, followed by a driver's meeting. Insurance is $250 for one lappind session and a lapping session is 2 full tanks of fuel.

Homestead humbled me A LOT! The entire infield is basically all about hard controlled braking and getting back to the gas as fast as possible. I can honestly say I did not master it. HaHa! I felt I was improving and with another couple of sessions I would have seen improved times and better understanding of my problem areas.

I never nailed the entry to turn #3 or turn #8. I messed up nearly every time. I had issues with locking up the brakes for the first few laps too. I managed to flat spot a brand new set of BFG Sticker fronts Nascar 3 and 4 were pretty awesome. This is probably the only part of the track that isn't slick as goose shit. I liked the flat out entry tthrough turn #1 off of the Nascar front straight. I got cocky there and lost focus. Cracked the throttle BEFORE I hit "the bump" twice and paid for it with two high speed spins. I spun once more in turn #8 as well as a 4 off in the runoff area of turn #6.

I needed more seat time, so I decided to go for the cheapest lapping day only. I was a little discouraged with all of the mistakes I was making but all of the instructors were encouraging and I've learned to note mistakes but don't let them bother me much as long as everyone is okay. I was wishing I could've run the race weekend but after the lapping session results, I'm kind of glad I didn't. HaHa!

The Lead Follow sessions looked interesting. I wasn't aware they put a radio on you to talk while you're both on track. Pretty cool and only $400 more I think. Peter and Keith were there for lead follow. Watts is a hoot. A real down to earth roots racer. Dude will drive anything.

It was just nice to get back onn track in the formula car and have fun learning. I'm carrying about 20lbs extra weight than I was during my 2 Day class and man I can feel it. I'm so sore and out of shape. I'm going to remedy that and get back to where I need to be before the April race weekend in Sebring. I'm leaning really hard towards making that my first race. I'm familiar with the track and hope I can make a decision soon.

That's my little review. I hope it helps anyone that is thinking of a lapping or lead follow session.
Old 01-16-2014
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Re: First Lapping Session

I believe that EVERY lapping session is humbling. You are out there alone and things seem to come so fast. Then you think you have mastered one or two turns, and .............. CRIPES! There are 3 turns that you just don't get right at all.
And THEN! You have to come in and go from instructor to instructor who reinforces that you screwed up and the give you advice like;
"There's more speed in that corner" Yeah right! I was asceered out of my mind at this speed!
"Squeeeeeeeze the brakes on. Don't gernade them!" Only explanation is "I was afraid!"
"Your turn in was early, or late. Your line was too tight or you never found the apex."
"You need to slow down to go fast." More like "My mind can't keep up with this car!"

I am saying this in jest because we ALL come away from lapping sessions feeling like we left a lot of speed on the table. But there is a Big difference between You and a LOT of other racers out there; You are learning the craft of driving a race car. I went to my 3 day class. followed by a series of lapping sessions, followed by a series of 2 day advanced classes and I still didn't feel ready to race. I knew every mistake I made and didn't want to make real race drivers mad at my incompetence. Finally Todd Snyder pushed me into my first race........ Had a Blast and didn't make too many people mad.

Since that set the drug addiction (of racing) to sit behind the wheel and go fast, I am on a downward spiral of cash as I can't wait to get back in the car and race.

Thanks for sending your post. It is good to see that even with the new Obama Care standards, Skippy has not changed their drug dependence policy!:ro tflmao:

God I'm funny to myself!
Old 01-16-2014
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Great report... You're in the steep part of the learning curve in all the right places. Generally race weekend instructors are the most experienced so your feedback is probably the best it can be. More lapping days and seat time will slow things down for you and give you more confidence.

When I started out at Lime Rock I swore to myself I was going to do lapping days until I could break one minute laps before I started running race weekends. (I was in the high 1:03's after my 3-day.) That lasted exactly 1 lapping day. Was told the fastest way to learn was to jump into the deep end of the pool and race so I signed up for a race weekend. It took a couple of years to get under a minute but the learning process was so much more exciting and fun in the race weekends. I still get humbled every time I sit in a race car but seat time is the only magic elixir that usually leads to good things.

Lead follows are good because you do have an experienced set of eyes giving you direct, in your ear, feedback. If you can swing it, it's a great learning tool.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-16-2014
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

That is fantastic feedback! The 2 loads of fuel is a great seat-time value/metric. I was trying to figure out the best bang for buck - sounds like you have the metric. The lead follow with audio would be even more useful I'd think even at the extra charge. Glad you had a great time. Wish I could make the NOLA lead follow - but this boat has me head down and bum up making repairs to get it launched! (My former addiction - world cruising, anyone wanna buy a boat?)

Cheers - Jim
Old 01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
I believe that EVERY lapping session is humbling. You are out there alone and things seem to come so fast. Then you think you have mastered one or two turns, and .............. CRIPES! There are 3 turns that you just don't get right at all.
And THEN! You have to come in and go from instructor to instructor who reinforces that you screwed up and the give you advice like;
"There's more speed in that corner" Yeah right! I was asceered out of my mind at this speed!
"Squeeeeeeeze the brakes on. Don't gernade them!" Only explanation is "I was afraid!"
"Your turn in was early, or late. Your line was too tight or you never found the apex."
"You need to slow down to go fast." More like "My mind can't keep up with this car!"

I am saying this in jest because we ALL come away from lapping sessions feeling like we left a lot of speed on the table. But there is a Big difference between You and a LOT of other racers out there; You are learning the craft of driving a race car. I went to my 3 day class. followed by a series of lapping sessions, followed by a series of 2 day advanced classes and I still didn't feel ready to race. I knew every mistake I made and didn't want to make real race drivers mad at my incompetence. Finally Todd Snyder pushed me into my first race........ Had a Blast and didn't make too many people mad.

Since that set the drug addiction (of racing) to sit behind the wheel and go fast, I am on a downward spiral of cash as I can't wait to get back in the car and race.

Thanks for sending your post. It is good to see that even with the new Obama Care standards, Skippy has not changed their drug dependence policy!:ro tflmao:

God I'm funny to myself!
That's exactly how I felt at times! I smile at the mistakes I made now after reading this funny post. #truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Great report... You're in the steep part of the learning curve in all the right places. Generally race weekend instructors are the most experienced so your feedback is probably the best it can be. More lapping days and seat time will slow things down for you and give you more confidence.

When I started out at Lime Rock I swore to myself I was going to do lapping days until I could break one minute laps before I started running race weekends. (I was in the high 1:03's after my 3-day.) That lasted exactly 1 lapping day. Was told the fastest way to learn was to jump into the deep end of the pool and race so I signed up for a race weekend. It took a couple of years to get under a minute but the learning process was so much more exciting and fun in the race weekends. I still get humbled every time I sit in a race car but seat time is the only magic elixir that usually leads to good things.

Lead follows are good because you do have an experienced set of eyes giving you direct, in your ear, feedback. If you can swing it, it's a great learning tool.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the encouragement DD. I'm hoping to eventually squeeze in a couple of race weekends per year. I may just jump in at Sebring if the bank account allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
That is fantastic feedback! The 2 loads of fuel is a great seat-time value/metric. I was trying to figure out the best bang for buck - sounds like you have the metric. The lead follow with audio would be even more useful I'd think even at the extra charge. Glad you had a great time. Wish I could make the NOLA lead follow - but this boat has me head down and bum up making repairs to get it launched! (My former addiction - world cruising, anyone wanna buy a boat?)

Cheers - Jim
It was a great value Jim. It looks like the first lapping day preceeding a race weekend at some of the tracks is $1250 as opposed to $1450. I had a $200 credit on file and a 20% discount as well. I figured I may as well use it. Fair Winds and Following Seas Friend.
Old 02-07-2014

I put this little highlight video together the other day. It starts with my 3 day, continues through the 2 day, and finishes up with my first lapping session. It's 13 minutes long and my very first attempt at any sort of video editing. Even if you don't have a Facebook account, you can view it at this link:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...98077102029139
Old 02-07-2014
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Hey Mike:
Cool Idea - and thanks for sharing that-
I don't have bandwith in my current location but its bookmarked so I'll check it later.
Others may ask for details - that may be on the FB page - like the editor you used, camera, etc. I'd be interested if not located there too.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock; 02-07-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
Hey Mike:
Cool Idea - and thanks for sharing that-
I don't have bandwith in my current location but its bookmarked so I'll check it later.
Others may ask for details - that may be on the FB page - like the editor you used, camera, etc. I'd be interested if not located there too.

Cheers - Jim

I used a program called Videopad. It was really simple to use. I think I paid $20 for it online. All video was taken with my GoPro Hero3 White Edition.

Bookmark This Thread