Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 01-28-2005
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: XT Racing Ultra-Lap timer that will record splits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
LOL Nice Try... KW It would make a very nice birthday gift though. Better print up the previous post and leave it out somewhere anavoidabable. :-) Good Luck!
DD, I think you created a nice sniglet there:

anavoidabable - a conversation with someone you don't know, that you want to avoid, but can't.

other suggestions?

Old 01-31-2005
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Nice catch CDH! :-) One of those "happy accidents" that winds up more interesting than the intended correct form... :-)

anavoidabable - to quickly feign illness, an important phone call or meeting to side-step meaningless office chatter, or the office chatter box. (an avoid-a-bable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
DD, I think you created a nice sniglet there:

anavoidabable - a conversation with someone you don't know, that you want to avoid, but can't.

other suggestions?

Old 01-31-2005
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Thumbs down Re: XT Racing Ultra-Lap timer that will record splits

Quote:
Nice catch CDH! :-) One of those "happy accidents" that winds up more interesting than the intended correct form... :-)

anavoidabable - to quickly feign illness, an important phone call or meeting to side-step meaningless office chatter, or the office chatter box. (an avoid-a-bable)
Oh isn't that nice, I'm the office chatter box . Well call me off topic, and call me annoying, just don't call me later for dinner.

And witht that I'm, done being off topic....

So how 'bout them lap timers?
Old 01-31-2005
Grand Master

KW, some phrasing was changed and the mistaken word jumble was never proof read. The sniglet was an accident that received its definition after the fact.

You're throwing yourself under the wheels of a bus that was never pointed at you.

However, me thinks thou do'st protest too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwlorentzen
Oh isn't that nice, I'm the office chatter box . Well call me off topic, and call me annoying, just don't call me later for dinner.

And witht that I'm, done being off topic....

So how 'bout them lap timers?
Old 04-10-2006
Team Flying Randalls
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Lap Timers - (Threads Merged)

Just back from Sebring, a couple of guys had their own personal lap timers in the cars - - my son, Brad, was lucky and the guy left it in the car for him to use, and his lap times showed great improvment - -

What should we look for in purchasing a couple of these?, what name brand?, and where can we get them??

Thanks in advance for your help,
Steve (TFR)
Old 04-10-2006
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995
Re: Lap timers - need advice

Steve, almost everyone uses Mychron Lights, specifically the new TG model.

Here's the website for the timer:

http://www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html

You canbuy it from:

Roger Caddell
Victory Lane Data
www.victorylanedata.com
1-866-DATAMAX

Also, here are a couple of threads on timers:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...read.php?t=220

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...hread.php?t=15
Old 04-10-2006
Grand Master

Though you'll see more Aim timers around, I've had good results with the XT-Racing Ultra-Lap timer.

Here's a link to a supplier that really does a good job of explaining all of the features.

http://www.motorcycleleatherexchange...laptimers.html

And here is the XT-Racing site info page.

http://www.cc-2000.com/xtracing/en/u...p/feature.html

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-10-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2006
Grand Master

Timers are usefull on lapping days when you won't get timing sheets, and some use them during qualifying. If you reach your target time during qualifying you can come in early and not risk spinning or worse.

While split times are possible and we talked about using them in one of the threads, in practice as individuals at the track, no one ever had time to coordinate placing transmitters around the track and managing the data.
If you have a support team or lots of family members looking for something to do this might be easier but as an individual it wasn't practical.
Old 04-10-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

I find you don't need multiple timers for rudimentary splits.

I get a sense of elapsed time at several key locations, and then determine on each lap if I am ahead or behind the pace.
Old 04-10-2006
Grand Master

I think you mean multiple transmitters Michael. With multiple transmitters the timer will give you accurate splits for the regions covered. What you are talking about is glancing at the timer at the same spot on the track each time to determine if you are quicker or slower, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
I find you don't need multiple timers for rudimentary splits.

I get a sense of elapsed time at several key locations, and then determine on each lap if I am ahead or behind the pace.
Old 04-10-2006
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Thats exactly what i would do. ^ - pic a certain point at a couple points in the track. exiting the hairpin, exit of 16 and exit of 17, to check my times to figure out where i was losing time or gaining time. as you can see, i was over 2 seconds faster the last race and dropped over 6 seconds from the first day of time sheets (friday)

I was using the AIM one in the car. :thumbup: very easy to read
Old 04-10-2006
Thumb-alina

Quote:
I think you mean multiple transmitters Michael.
As Julia would say... D'uh!
Old 04-10-2006
Grand Master

Dat's why day call us D'uhDalyDuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
As Julia would say... D'uh!
Old 04-11-2006
OTB

Gallery Images: 19

Just a word of caution: If the car does a few barrel rolls, you might find that you need to replace the timer.
Old 04-12-2006
Team Flying Randalls

And maybe the driver

Thanks for the help - -

Steve
Old 04-13-2006

If you get the micron lite, it is fairly easy to attach the display unit and beacon detector to opposite sides of a 1.25 binder clip. Just glue appropriate size velco strips to each side of the binder clip, and the opposite type velco strips to the display unit and beacon detector, respectively. Make sure the levers of the binder clip are in the up position, as if you are about to squeeze it open, before glueing on the velcro. Also, the top of the binder clip will be at the level of the top of the windscreen in the RT/2000, so make sure the top of the velcro strips on each side line up with the top of the clamp of the binder clip. You'll also need to tie-wrap the cord between the dislay unit and the beacon detector, so it is not flopping around wildly.

With this assembly, you can simply walk up to the car before your practice session, Squeeze the clip open, and slip in over the windscreen of the RT/2000. No tape, no muss, no fuss, no bother. The only adjustment you even need to make is that at some tracks, the pit wall where the beacons are located are on the left side of the car rather than the right, so you have to flip the beacon detector over --a five second operation, thanks to the velcro.

Credit for this idea goes to Quentin Wahl; I cribbed the idea from him a couple of years back, and it works just great.
Old 04-14-2006
Team OC/AD D

Peter, thanks for the tip. Any chance we could bother you for a picture of the timer/clip assembly?
Old 04-14-2006
Thumb-alina

For those more service oriented...

I worked with Dave, a mechanic in the Eastern region, and taught him how to make these at Tremblant last year. They now sell them for $20. Rather than a binder clip, they use a piece of metal which they bend to shape. I had found that the binder clip wasn't very sturdy, and this works better.
Old 06-22-2006
Team OC/AD D

Re: Lap Timers - (Threads Merged)

Here's an interesting new idea...

A helmet mounted HEADS UP DISPLAY timer. Pretty nifty! It's about the same price as a Mycron Light TG, and they say it's compatible too.

http://www.sportvue.com/store/product.php?pid=13
Old 07-30-2006
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

sorry for basic question: Do most tracks have the transmitters running for these timers? Or do you set it up yourself somewhere near start/finish?
Old 07-30-2006

Gallery Images: 2

usually there were a few people who brought the transmitters with them, so yes, they are at the track so its not a big deal.
Old 07-30-2006
Grand Master

If you buy a timer you will also want to buy a transmitter. The tracks do not provide them and even though many racers have them you can't assume someone will always be there with one when you want to use it.

If money is an issue you could just get the timer and see how your luck holds up, but going back to your initial question, the tracks do not provide them and if you want to know for sure you'll be able to use your timer... Buy a transmitter.

PS. Hi Ari... while composing my response you posted yours so I'm not trying to talk over you there... My advice is based on Murphy's law that the one time you really want to use your timer, there won't be a compatable transmitter being used. But most of the time you'll probably be ok.

Last edited by dalyduo; 07-30-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2006

yes, i do agree with you and that is why i have a transmitter myself. but for roscoe specifically i just thought that it wasn't necessary at 1st for him to have a transmitter. then after using it, he can decide to buy the transmitter so he always has it and also so that the guys who normally provide it get a break.

but yeah, i also agree with you if cost is not an option.
Old 08-17-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Pat, what method do you use for placing your XT-Racing Ultra-Lap timer on an R/T 2000? Do you use the metal clip with velcro on both sides? Duct tape? Some other way?

On a separate point, the display of the Ultra-Lap is a smaller portion of the face, with buttons and labels occupying a greater part of what is visible than with the MyChron device, where the one important piece of information (lap time) is prominently displayed, and the buttons and labels seem more out of the way. Has this been an issue for anyone? Or do you tend to "block out" everything on the display other than what you want to see?

Last question -- and this one is for everyone other than Sy and Pat, who have already indicated their preferences -- which timer do you like, and would you buy the same one again (or get a different one)?
Old 08-17-2006
Running Amok.

I have the old My-chron light (with the yellow and red face). I like it a lot. I'll admit, it was a bit confusing to set up, but once you figure it out, it is not a problem. The display is large and prominent. The times are accurate compared to official timing and scoring. My first battery lasted 4 years. I use the metal clip which is perfect and saves several minutes vs duct tape. And, I (shhh...) have never set up my beacon in 5 years. There has ALWAYS been one on the wall.

As far as I know, it doesn't download to a computer, but I might be wrong. I have no interest in that functionality, so I don't truly know.
Old 08-17-2006
Running Amok.

Noob

Looking back over this thread, it seems there are at least 3 different timers in use at most race weekends. Why not borrow one of each for a different session and see what you like?
Old 08-17-2006
Grand Master

I've embedded my response in bold in your quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie
Pat, what method do you use for placing your XT-Racing Ultra-Lap timer on an R/T 2000? Do you use the metal clip with velcro on both sides? Duct tape? Some other way?

Ted, I use the metal clip with a little bit of tape to keep it from flying off if you hit a curb or worse. (It was on the car when I flipped at the uphill and it didn't come off or get damaged)

On a separate point, the display of the Ultra-Lap is a smaller portion of the face, with buttons and labels occupying a greater part of what is visible than with the MyChron device, where the one important piece of information (lap time) is prominently displayed, and the buttons and labels seem more out of the way. Has this been an issue for anyone? Or do you tend to "block out" everything on the display other than what you want to see?

The size of the numerals is plenty big and bold enough to be easily viewed while driving. There is also a contrast adjustment for personal preference.

Last question -- and this one is for everyone other than Sy and Pat, who have already indicated their preferences -- which timer do you like, and would you buy the same one again (or get a different one)?
Old 08-17-2006

i was using tape to hold my mychron down, then i saw the clip and velco and tried that at daytona. didn't use any tape and i paid the price. the thing flew off in the middle of the chicance on the back straight on lap 3. from them on, i used velcro, a clip and a little tape. you still need to tape the receiver anyway so.

in my mind, i want the unit with the largest and easy to read display. whatever fits that the best for you, get it.
Old 08-17-2006
Grand Master

You can velcro the screen to the front of the clip and the receiver to the back (so you can easily flip it depending on which side pit lane happens to be at a given track) and then use tape to secure the whole package to the windscreen and keep the wires from flapping around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arig
you still need to tape the receiver anyway so.
Old 08-17-2006

Sorry is this has been answered before, but I didn't see it.

I have the MyChron TG timer, which I bought last year, and it has been great because I can see right away if what i did on a lap made a difference or not. But it only shows the time at the end of the lap. Is there a way to get it to 'count up' the time during the lap, and then show the final time for 10 seconds (or whatever) at the end of the lap, so I can see that I hit corner x at 1:37 this lap at 1:36 the next? Perhaps I need to get a firmware upgrade?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Russell
Old 08-17-2006
Grand Master

Don't know about the AIM timer but you can definitely do that with the XT Racing Ultra-Lap timer. It lets you set the duration that the previous lap is held on-screen before it reverts to real time in your current lap. It's a very handy feature.
Old 08-17-2006

I actually figure it out! There's an option buried down under the configuration options that lets you have a running time displayed at the top right corner. I'll have to try that next time I'm at the track and see if I like that better than having it display whether or not I improved from the prior lap.
Old 08-18-2006
Running Amok.

I've been using the Skippy mechanics metal device for 2 years... no duct tape, no lost timer... then again, no barrel rolls either. Hit some things pretty hard though.

(come to think of it, it did fly off during the 'booty incident'! No problem, there was no place for it to go but the tire wall!)
Old 10-31-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36
Re: Lap Timers

After reading this thread, doing some Internet research, and trying a couple of timers this year, I opted for the XT Racing Ultra Lap timer. For anyone interested in that product, I'll put in a plug for Brian VanDenBrouck and his company, Sportbike Track Gear, which can be found at www.sportbiketrackgear.com. Great communication, prompt service, a fair price, and shipping is included in the price (keep that in mind when shopping for prices).
Old 10-31-2006
Fund Raiser Racer

I have made the metal clips that the skippy guys have and they will be in the parts trailer at all race's

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 11-09-2006
Maytag

!!!GREAT PRICE ON MyChron Light TG!!!

Since I lost my old AIM timer at Road America, I had to buy a new one. I checked around for prices, and found that White Buffalo Racing, the same place I bought my last one, has the best prices. You can order the timer without a beacon which saves $20. I've already got 2 beacons, and don't even take one to the track any more since someone invariably has one already sitting on the wall. I don't have any split beacons, but those could be useful.

What would really be useful is for Skippy to just set up split beacons around the track each morning. I'd even chip in to buy the beacons.

Here's the pricing, and link to White Buffalo.

http://www.whitebuffaloracing.com/mychron.htm

AIM Mychron Light TG (6V) with beacon: $215

AIM Mychron Light TG (6V) with beacon: $195
Data cable: $51.50

Old 11-09-2006

Thats a good idea.
Skippy should set up a few split beacons, they only cost $30 each.
You only need two or three of them.
Old 11-16-2006
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Depending on what the new car is outfitted with, that might not be an option... though it is a good idea for the winter series'
Old 08-03-2007
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Looking at the newer lap timers here.... Has anyone used the Sportvue LT1? I'm thinking it'll be really useful in oval racing where lap times are short.

Bookmark This Thread