Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 07-04-2011
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Road America Rookie

Wanted to acknowledge everyone from this site as well as the other participants, coaches, mechanics, and families that helped to make the RA weekend so great. Enjoyed meeting everyone and wanted to make sure to thank all. Absolutely great experience and I'll be back for more. All the advice helped and really enjoyed the first race in particular with a good group to run with and got to pass and be passed a few times. Pretty stoked to be able to cross the finish line with the checker flag. I was absolutely screaming inside my helmet. Great stuff!!

I'd like to know if anybody has any information on Marc Martinez. He had the bad crash in the kink and i want to make sure he is doing okay. It's be great if someone from administration could shoot me his email if allowed. (tyson.schwiesow@gmail.com)

Thanks again and i will work on changing my login as "Page 2".

Tyson
Old 07-04-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36
Re: Road America Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchwiesow View Post
Wanted to acknowledge everyone from this site as well as the other participants, coaches, mechanics, and families that helped to make the RA weekend so great. Enjoyed meeting everyone and wanted to make sure to thank all. Absolutely great experience and I'll be back for more. All the advice helped and really enjoyed the first race in particular with a good group to run with and got to pass and be passed a few times. Pretty stoked to be able to cross the finish line with the checker flag. I was absolutely screaming inside my helmet. Great stuff!!

I'd like to know if anybody has any information on Marc Martinez. He had the bad crash in the kink and i want to make sure he is doing okay. It's be great if someone from administration could shoot me his email if allowed. (tyson.schwiesow@gmail.com)

Thanks again and i will work on changing my login as "Page 2".

Tyson
Hi Tyson. It was great to meet you and also see you get the rookie award in your first race. Not sure when you departed, but Todd's latest update over the speakers at the track was that Marc was being kept overnight (Sunday night) for observation and was expected to be released this morning (Monday). Do not know whether that happened. He suffered two broken limbs and a broken shoulder blade (that was the way Todd announced it, and I know nothing more than that). Yep, that was a hard impact from what we all saw driving by the debris.

Hope to see you soon. Your improvement was impressive, especially given that you were in the ADV 2-day at the start of the week.
Old 07-04-2011

I appreciated all your help Ted. Glad to hear Marc's injuries weren't more serious. Just watched my video from the first race. You passed me way too easily on the restart. I'll try not to let that happen again.
Old 07-05-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Tyson
Great meeting you and having you on board here. Glad you had a good time at Road America and Ted gave you a restart run for your money. Would you like Page Two, Page 2 or P2 as your new moniker?

Ted,
I thought Todd said broken ribs not broken limbs but will need confirmation on that.

We'd all like to send Marc positive thoughts for a speedy recovery. Very hard hit. Glad to know he'll be OK.
Old 07-05-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Tyson,

Congratulations on a successful first weekend! You hit all your marks. Your description of how it felt to take the checker for the first time brought back my own memories of how cool that was. Somehow, very few experiences like it.

Now prepare for withdrawal like nothing else you've ever experienced-- physical, psychological, social, and automotive. No street car short of exotic machinery will ever be enough ever again, and all your passengers will notice the changes in your driving. ("Uh, aren't you too close to that car in front?" "Why are you changing lanes?" "Why are you sitting like that?" Although my mom loves how smooth my steering has gotten!)

I enjoyed our conversations and look forward to the next time!

So sorry about what happened to Marc. Glad to hear that he seems to be doing ok. That the Kink is an unforgiving place gets reinforced every time we're there. And it happens to the best -- watched an instructor go in there ahead of me and if it weren't for the puff of tire smoke I saw wafting out from around the hill at the apex, would not have slowed up enough to avoid the car that was sitting sideways across the road just inside track out. With eyes as big as saucers.

Last edited by Slowhands; 07-05-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Ted,
I thought Todd said broken ribs not broken limbs but will need confirmation on that.

We'd all like to send Marc positive thoughts for a speedy recovery. Very hard hit. Glad to know he'll be OK.
The ribs would make more sense and be more in line with a shoulder blade injury, and ribs would be better than limbs if something is going to break (I suppose -- don't want to test that one myself).
Old 07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Now prepare for withdrawal like nothing else you've ever experienced-- physical, psychological, social, and automotive. No street car short of exotic machinery will ever be enough ever again, and all your passengers will notice the changes in your driving. ("Uh, aren't you too close to that car in front?" "Why are you changing lanes?" "Why are you sitting like that?" Although my mom loves how smooth my steering has gotten!)
And don't forget, "Aren't you going around curves a little faster than you used to?" (You might also notice that your passengers grab the "Oh, God !" handle nearest them when riding with you.)
Old 07-05-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchwiesow View Post
Wanted to acknowledge everyone from this site as well as the other participants, coaches, mechanics, and families that helped to make the RA weekend so great. Enjoyed meeting everyone and wanted to make sure to thank all. Absolutely great experience and I'll be back for more. All the advice helped and really enjoyed the first race in particular with a good group to run with and got to pass and be passed a few times. Pretty stoked to be able to cross the finish line with the checker flag. I was absolutely screaming inside my helmet. Great stuff!! Tyson
Add that to SB sales material and website immediately - well said, glad you had such a successful first outing

Slowhands is right
Old 07-05-2011
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Add that to SB sales material and website immediately - well said, glad you had such a successful first outing

Slowhands is right
I've saved it! We'll be sure to use it on an upcoming eblast or something soon! It was nice meeting you Tyson! Hope to see you at more events. Glad you had such a great time!
Old 07-05-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie View Post
The ribs would make more sense and be more in line with a shoulder blade injury, and ribs would be better than limbs if something is going to break (I suppose -- don't want to test that one myself).
Nah. Ribs are no big deal...unless you're used to inhaling and exhaling.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 07-05-2011

Ribs are a cruel injury. No cast, no stitches, no crutches, only private pain, excruciating at first until converting it to chronic by learning the proscribed postures and motions.

Once, I held a car up with my head when the roll bar dug deep into Bridgehampton sand, cracking my sternum in a couple of places with my chin. People thought I was faking, and that badly, with all the moaning and grimacing.

The upside is that once the ribs or sternum heals, your recovery can be complete.

No fun going through, and I wish Marc the best.

--
Fred
Old 07-05-2011
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

In our drivers meeting Greg made the snarky observation that Tyson was starting so far back that he was on page two of the starting grid. (The field was in fact large enough to require two pages) Keith took a beat and looking Greg right in the eye said, "Yeah, and some people on page two aren't nearly as high maintenance as some on page one... (pause) Good job page two." It got the biggest laugh of the day and Tyson had his new moniker.

Good job PageTwo!

Last edited by dalyduo; 07-05-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Quote:
In our drivers meeting Greg made the snarky observation that Tyson was starting so far back that he was on page two of the starting grid. (The field was in fact large enough to require two pages) Keith took a beat and looking Greg right in the eye said, "Yeah, and some people on page two aren't nearly as high maintenance as some on page one... (pause) Good job page two." It got the biggest laugh of the day and Tyson had his new moniker.

God job PageTwo!
HAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Well done, Keith.
Old 07-05-2011

Quote:

God job PageTwo!
haha

Yeah, I thought I was pretty clever and then Keith, as always took me down a notch or three

Tyson - first weekend -- there is nothing else like it
Old 07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBruSBRS View Post
HAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Well done, Keith.
y tu brute?!
Old 07-05-2011

BTW Tyson,

My profile picture is me hugging first time winner Harsha from 2009
Old 07-05-2011
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

Tyson, didnt get to say good bye. You had a great first weekend I thought. You are a perfect driver for our series. You totally see what skippy is all about. Great to have you and see you come back. Thanks again, Keith
Old 07-05-2011

Thanks Keith.

You guys run a great program and was impressed with your ability to control chaos as pit row coordinator. Appreciated the extra help with passing on Tuesday, and I think all of your in car harassment paid off. My brother was watching my videos and was impressed with your pre-race pep talk. His comment was basically how cool it was that you guys actually really care about how we do and how we progress through the program. thanks again Keith. I'm going to post my race video soon for critque.

Tyson
Old 07-05-2011
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

I'm pretty sure my pep talk was PG13, not all are!!!!
Old 07-05-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageTwo View Post
My brother was watching my videos and was impressed with your pre-race pep talk. His comment was basically how cool it was that you guys actually really care about how we do and how we progress through the program.
That's a large part of why I'm still racing Skip, 1) how much so many of the instructors care 2) how willing more experienced drivers have been to help me. Keith was lead in my 3 day, and he still remembers my first time on track (OK, so it was hilarious), and I heard that when I won my first race tears actually came to his eyes. And just this weekend, Greg (who has taken advantage of my layoff to get faster than me ) gave me a tip on braking on these new tires that I'm sure will help me in Atlanta. And he did so even though we may be fighting it out on the track if I can pick up the 0.5 sec he still has on me at this point. A very special place in racing.
Old 07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageTwo View Post
Thanks Keith.

You guys run a great program and was impressed with your ability to control chaos as pit row coordinator. Appreciated the extra help with passing on Tuesday, and I think all of your in car harassment paid off. My brother was watching my videos and was impressed with your pre-race pep talk. His comment was basically how cool it was that you guys actually really care about how we do and how we progress through the program. thanks again Keith. I'm going to post my race video soon for critque.

Tyson
Tyson,

If it all possible, do a lead follow at your next race, esp if you can do it with Mr Keith Watts.

His LFs were a significant part of my advancement.

I also recommend taking major notes after each session from feedback. Then pick 2 or 3 comments and apply them as best as possible.
Old 07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
That's a large part of why I'm still racing Skip, 1) how much so many of the instructors care 2) how willing more experienced drivers have been to help me. Keith was lead in my 3 day, and he still remembers my first time on track (OK, so it was hilarious), and I heard that when I won my first race tears actually came to his eyes. And just this weekend, Greg (who has taken advantage of my layoff to get faster than me ) gave me a tip on braking on these new tires that I'm sure will help me in Atlanta. And he did so even though we may be fighting it out on the track if I can pick up the 0.5 sec he still has on me at this point. A very special place in racing.
Tyson, I give ( or at least try) back to those who have come before.

This is going to be my second love in post in a row, but its hard to deny that Harsha also helped me tremendously and im in his debt.
I also help him because battling on track is where the fun is at.
Even though I didnt win any races at RA - they were some of the best races of my life because the in car battles were so intense.

So we help each other to some degree to increase the fun we all have.

Harsha: I told you it would come back and the journey is faster the 2nd time
Old 07-05-2011
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

Greg, I'm a bad person, I forgot to call you back. I appreciate the kind words on the lead follow. I really care about people who want to learn, the rest.... Go get lapped...

Last edited by dalyduo; 07-05-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92 View Post
Greg, I'm a bad person, I forgot to call you back. I appreciate the kind words on the lead follow. I really care about people who want to learn, the rest.... Go get lapped...
No worries
I know it was a super long weekend with a high level of drama, including mine
Old 07-06-2011
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

It's 65 drivers!!! That's a lot of emotion.... Period!
Old 07-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92 View Post
It's 65 drivers!!! That's a lot of emotion.... Period!
65 is amazing - huge fields too - i dont think i ever raced in a 22 car field before - it was awesome as we were forming on the grid.

see the other thread for some awesome video clips

Bookmark This Thread