Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 07-07-2005
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
How to select a helmet?

I have completed the 3 day and an advanced 2 day Skippy school and plan to participate in my first race weekend at Mid Ohio in September. I have used the helmets and suits provided by the company in my schools but would feel more comfortable in a new helmet under racing conditions.

Can anyone please offer advice on how to select a helment mfr and assure size is correct since only way seems to be blind ordering off the web? There is no local retail operation I know of in Cincinnati that stocks multiple brands of helmets for me to try. What criteria have you used in the past to select your helmet? From my days (long ago) of riding street bikes, I understand that a helmet is not the place to try and save money so no issues with my budget. Any other advice regarding equipment purchases prior to first race weekend would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance. This is a great site. I have learned tons already just from searching the archives and reading old posts.

Regards,

Kasey
Old 07-07-2005
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Re: How to select a helmet?

I dont really know of any other way but trying on different helmets. I wear an Arai GP-5. I tried on bell's, sparco, bieffe, and agv and the arai felt the most comfortable. You might want to look into a HANS device, I know it's only your first race weekend, but it only takes one second for you to wish you had a HANS device no matter how many times you have raced before or plan to race in the future. Also, I don't know far you are looking to go with racing, but if you plan to buy a few things like a helmet and a suit and other gear, check out www.speedwaremotorsports.com, they are having a head to toe sale where if you buy a helmet, suit, gloves, and shoes, you get 15% off everything. Also, if you buy nomex underwear, they will extend the discount to that as well.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old 07-07-2005
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Kasey, welcome to Skippy and to TJR. I'm thrilled that you've enjoyed the site and that it's helped you, and we look forward to having you become an integral part of our community. You sound like you're ready to be hooked into Skippy racing, and that's great, because it is AWESOME. Whatever excitement you feel now will absolutely pale in comparison to how you will feel during and after your first race weekend. Just expect to become absolutely obsessed with racing - you will enjoy it that much.

Back to equipment. -Great questions regarding the helmet, and hopefully this will help to serve others in the future as well. We've all heard the famous saying "if you've got a $200 head, buy a $200 helmet", but not all of us really 'get' that. When you're ready to buy a piece of equipment, you should always buy the absolute best piece of equipment the first time. Don't skimp, and don't say that 'I'll upgrade later'. You'll be sorry if you do. Also, if you're thinking that 'I'm only going to do two or three races, so why spend so much on a suit', then you're just fooling yourself! You'll be doing many more than just two or three races.

That said, the best helmet out there is arguably the Arai GP5/GP5-K. They are super light, super strong and have the best lining materials. The K model is the less expensive version, with reduced upper helmet ventilation and a larger eye opening. I think it's also a bit heavier, but I'm not sure about that. Either way, it's one of if not the most expensive helmets out there, but worth every penny. Other helmets that are really good and recommended, in (approximate) descending order of quality are: Sparco, Stand 21, Bell, MQ (AGV) and OMP. Only buy the best helmet offered by each brand. Then there is Impact and Bieffe, but I'm unsure of these as Impact is too new, and I've heard opposing opinions about Bieffe. If for whatever reason you refuse to buy one of these and/or choose something less expensive, at the very least make sure you get a Snell SA 2000 approved helmet, and not just an M 2000 helmet. Those are for motorcycles.

As you've noticed, it's really difficult to try out helmets when you don't have a store nearby. What I recommend is finding a mail-order dealer that carries all the brands you will want to try, and have them send you gear for you to try out (you'll have to buy it first). If it doesn't fit, send it back and they'll send you something else till you're satisfied. You'll have to pay shipping, but that's the price to pay for getting the right stuff. I buy my stuff from Wine Country Motorsports (equipment link at the bottom) and they are great with this. Also, some helmets have 'fit kits' - make sure you ask your dealer if one is available and if you can do it yourself.

In regards to suits and other equipment, if you can afford to buy everything now, then do it. There is no price on safety, and safety certainly can't wait. The best brands out there for suits, shoes, glves and underwear are Sparco, OMP, Alpinestars and Puma. Again, buy only the top of the line for each piece. You will perform better with better equipment, there is a difference there.

If you can't buy it all now, these are the items you should buy in order of importance (with my recommendations):

1. Helmet & Balaclava (Arai GP5)
2. HANS Device, Model 30, Economy Version
3. Racing Gloves (OMP Grand Premio or Sparco Equivalent)
4. Racing Shoes (Sparco X-Light)
5. Racing Suit (Sparco X-Light, Tech 5 or OMP Technica/Light)
6. Arm Restraints (Pyrotech)
7. Nomex Underwear - (OMP or Sparco)
8. Nomex Elbow Pads - (OMP)
9. A nice paint job on that helmet, because as we all know 'It's better to look good than to feel good' (kuzzins kustoms)

Please use the 'best places to buy equipment thread' to find and discuss good retailers and equipment deals.

Last edited by sydude; 07-07-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2005
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Equipment made by Impact Racing should be extremely good as well. The company is owned by Bill Simpson, the guy who started Simpson Racing Products.
Old 07-07-2005
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

I bought my Arai GP-5, Sparco driving suit, racing shoes and accessories through Speedware, (mentioned above) and have had only good experiences with them. I was too big for the large helmet and too small for an extra large so they had Arai change out the jaw padding to get the fit right. They sent me 3 different helmets before we finally got it right and I did have to pay the extra shipping but the guys there are racers, have practical knowledge with the equipment they sell and are nicely service oriented and honorable. They really pay attention to getting you into the right equipment. Their web site is pretty good as well.

I'd check out their website and give 'em a call. Comparison shop. Look at Sy's place, check out Speedware, etc.

You might also try motorcycle distributors who sell speedgear in your area. Often the motor racing shells and padding have the same or similar shape and padding as the motorcycle stuff, so you could get an idea of which brand fits you best before buying.
Old 07-07-2005
Infrequent Flier ;)

Yeah, Sy is right, paint job is important. You'll be faster with a painted helmet.

Gosh, though, in all seriousness everyone who says do not skimp on this is right.

And also, man this makes me really wish I had the $$$ to get involved in a participatory way. I thought karting was fun last year, but I can only imagine what it's like out there in the RT/2000s. One day, I hope.

At least if that day comes, I have been able to read all this good advice ahead of time

R
Old 07-07-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

BUT DO NOT BUY A MOTERCYCLY HELMET. AND TO REINFORCE THE POINT HANS DEVICE HANS DEVICE HANS DEVICE. RACING IS A WAY OF LIFE NOT A HOBBY ONCE YOUR IN YOU ARE IN.SORT OF LIKE THE MAFIA.HAVE FUN

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 07-07-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

YES I KNOW MOTOR I NEVER SAID I WAS BRIGHT

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 07-07-2005
WillowCross Racing
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Kasey,

Ask MJamok. He seems to focus quite alot of his time on the subject.
Old 07-07-2005

Thanks for the input

Appreciate the comments from each of you. I'll do my homework and look at the companies you have mentioned. Look forward to meeting some of you at Mid Ohio if you are there and contributing to the site.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Kasey... welcome... a few more thoughts.

1- I spoke with a few companies when I was buying my gear for the first time. They all knew what the deal was, and a few agreed to send me multiple helmets at the same time to compare, knowing all, or all but one, would be returned.

2- It is imperative that the helmet fit properly. A proper fit means tight! The Simpson catalog used to have a good description of what it should feel like. Basically, the answer is 'as tight as you can stand it without getting a headache.' But there is obviously more to it.

3- The fit and comfort are the most critical aspect of a helmet. I think all of Sy's brand recommendations are good. But, if the fit is wrong, you will be miserable! Remember that you are adding a lot of weight to your head which will be pulled by g-forces thru every corner. With the wrong hat, you will be dying to get out of the car.

4- I found, after wasting a lot of time, that the same helmet brand that I chose for my motorcycle (also after a lot of trial and error) was the one that fit best for the car. My choice was the Arai.

5- After cracking my Arai4 at WGI, I had 2 weeks to replace my hat for last year's season finale. Arai sold to me directly, though I'm not sure that is standard practice. They were UNBELIEVABLY helpful. And, in the end, they recommended the cheaper 5k for me. 3 reasons. 1st, the added ventilation of the 5 only comes into play over 130mph... rare in a Skippy car. 2nd, the wider eye port is preferable in a sedan car... which turned out to be helpful in Grand Am this year. And, the larger eye port can be 'fixed' with a visor stip. (See me for a Team Juicy version!) 3- the 5 only weighs a few ounces less than the 5k... not enough to be noticed by mere mortals.

6- Another nice feature of the Arai is that it comes pre-drilled for the HANS. This takes the guesswork and fear factor out of installing a HANS. I'm not sure if other hats do the same thing.

7- I like the idea of shopping at a motorcycle shop to narrow down brands. I didn't know the difference between M and SA rated helmets at first... turns out, they have the same functional capacity, but SA is fire proof.

7B- Speaking of SA ratings... the 05 version is due out this fall. I doubt it is worth waiting for, but maybe you can get a deal on an SA2000.

8- Back to HANS. Yes, buy one. Then read the VERY LONG thread about them on this site. Then, make sure you install it properly!! I have seen guys with too long tethers and misaligned bolts. HANS is very specific about this stuff... pay attention. When you get to the track... have someone like Sy, Gerardo or me 'teach you' how to properly buckle yourself into the car with the HANS... you'll understand this point after reading the other thread!

9- Buy extra visors. Arai makes a fog proof shield that is expensive but awesome. Other clear visors can be upgraded with a Fog City liner. Also very effective. Without fog protection, you can forget racing in the rain! Choose a level of tint to suit your needs... e.g. do you wear sunglasses under your helmet? I have a mirrored visor for bright days (and cause it looks cool!), a light smoke for 'normal days', and a clear for rain. Some guys like yellow for the rain... but if the sky clears, it gets too bright.

10- If you buy a mirrored visor, be careful cleaning it. You can easily scrape the coating off... an expensive lesson!!

10B- Use tearoffs. Wine Country sells 3 thicknesses... use the middle version. They are thick enough to work well and much more economical. Trust me, this will save your visors in the long run!

11- Buy extra hardware for your visors and a small screwdriver (be careful with airport security!). I have lost a screw before (no comments from the peanut gallery) and fortunately had a spare. David Casey lost one and didn't have a spare. Luckily I had one for him or he might have been SOL.

12- Helmet maintainance.... After two race weekends your helmet will smell like a boys locker room (you might like that, I don't know) unless you take care of it. Even still, eventually it will stink. I have found that filling it with newspaper after a race day sucks the moisture out of it. Then I try to sit it on the AC vent in my hotel room to get air flowing through. With all of that precaution... after about 30 race days, my helmet is getting that unpleasant odor again. I am in the process of trying an industrial strength spray which seems to be working. I'd welcome additional ideas. I know Sy once deconstructed his hat, filled it like a fishbowl and cleaned the whole thing. He put some powder in and claimed it smelled like a baby's ass afterward. Sounds effective but too much effort for me!

13- Other equipment... Again, I agree with Sy's comments. I highly recommend the Sparco gloves with the inside out seams and long (what the hell is the word) that covers the bottom of your sleeve as well. They are REALLY comfortable. My next pair of shoes will be high tops... I have low ones now and am less than perfectly happy. I would also add a good set of earplugs for more than just the obvious reason. I got custom ones made at an audiologist for $80. Worlds better than the crappy foam alternative.

14- Finally... I would put a seat insert high on my list. Invaluable. See the thread on this site that talks about who to get to do it.

15- ok... one more thing. Buy a video of your races.. at least one at every track. It gives you something to do in the off season, it impresses your friends and family, and it is a great learning tool for "next year".

Have fun!
Old 07-07-2005

i believe you were looking for the word "gauntlet". good advice. by the way, are you sure about the arai gp5 coming predrilled for the hans clips?
Old 07-07-2005
Thumb-alina

Yes. There were plastic plugs in exactly the spots where I wanted holes according to the HANS measurements. I called Arai and confirmed.
Old 07-08-2005

dammit, i didnt need to pay for the installation then. ah, i got it for free anyway when i bought my suit, but that pisses me off b/c i needed to pay for it on my 1st helmet. by the way, i know you have an xlight. i was curious if there was a difference btwn the xlight that was made in 2003 and a brand new one now. i just bought a new xlight from a store, and it says manufactured in 2003. is it a problem that it sat for so long?
Old 07-08-2005
Thumb-alina

They only started making these suits in late 03 or so. As far as I know, there is no difference but I can't be sure. Also, I would ask if Nomex has a 'shelf life' in terms of effectiveness.

Sparco has a US office in California and the people there are very helpful. I'd give them a call.

The one difference I noted waas in the color combos.... I had to get black with white because black/black (or maybe it's gray) wasn't available at first. Although the black/white is 'slimming' (a joke!.... although maybe MacD should try one!!) my son said I look like a power ranger. Doh!

One more thing to consider if you are buying new gear.... Sparco has a new material out called Carmyth. It is very expensive (ie $100 for a balaclava, $200 for the shirt). It is supposed to be more fire retardant than Nomex and much more breathable. I bought 2 balaclavas (the brown/gold ones you may have noticed) and I love them. Definitely keeps the moisture off my face better. So far I can't get myself to spring for the new undies as mine are new... and quite becoming as you can see in the photo caption thread!!
Old 07-08-2005
Grand Master

I believe Aria only started pre-drilling the HANS anchor holes last year. I was told that practice had just come on line before I bought my helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arig
but that pisses me off b/c i needed to pay for it on my 1st helmet.
Old 07-08-2005

Michael, excellent write up on helmets. Agree 100% on the Arai. I switched this season and love it.

In most motorcycle stores you can buy "Helmet Fresh". Spray the inside of your helmet to keep it smellng decent.

Shoes. I like the OMP high tops. Expensive, but worth it IMHO. They won't last long walking around the track though. They have a very thin carbon sole which gives you a great feel for the pedals. I've tried all sorts of shoes and went back to these. Other shoes, while they lasted longer, had thicker soles but less feel.
Old 07-08-2005
Bavarian Berserk

There seems to be little left to be added, yet....

First I would like to point out that MJ buys a 5K since he does not feel the couple of ounces on his head, but then shells out the extra $$$ to buy an XLight suit. Having seen his heavy bulk in the caption contest, this seems interesting. Anyway back to helmets.

When you have the helmets around you to sample, make sure to check them in a seating position similar to the one in the RT2000. I first had a Simpson that was nice and light but I couldn't see jack. (I'm a descendant from the Cro Magnon, so my eyes are rather low beneath a bulging forehead). So make sure your sight is also good enough to check instruments, belt fit etc.

I also tried the Bell Dominator or whatever and found amazing how light it was. I could really tell the difference and am convinced that it shows towards the end of a race if your neck is less fatigued. But again, my unique headshape did not fit their mold so I went for the GP5 - the real deal.

After you get the paint job (please omit stars and stripes and checkered flag motives, otherwise you might as well leave it in primer white), buy a good car wax to protect the paint. I use Zymol, which is pretty good but I guess lesser brands will do the job. This way it will retain its shine also after rain races and it will improve protection from chipping if someone ahead of you goes 4 wheeling.

For the odor: I treat my helment with Dr. Scholl's foot odor powder spray. My feet still stink, however, it works fine on the helmet. I have mine for three years now (the helmet, not the feet - they are a bit older) and while it is not a rose, it smells pretty neutral (this, again, refers to the helmet). Another potential explanation is maybe that going at speed causes me less sweat than MJ.

For the visors, I think MJ is right on the money. Make sure you have replacements, additional bolts and DEFINITELY a TJR visor stripe.

For the shoes. I first had Sparcos and think they are not worth the money. Not comfortable, not well made. Then I changed to Filas - they were incredibly cheap, like 60$ or so. Even when I first stepped in I could feel the superiority of this shoe, lent by the master of Motorsports himself, King Michael Schumacher

I love their fit and comfort also to walk around. A bit tacky with the #1 on the back maybe, but at least you are sending a clear signal with that.

Another good investment for me was to buy elbow pads. I seemed to constantly hit my elbows on either side of the tube frame. (I'm also a bit deprived with my motorics).

Have fun getting all this stuff and put it to good use.
Old 07-08-2005
Thumb-alina

Hey Martin... I'm starting to think I liked it better when your computer wasn't working.

Although I laughed out loud about your feet...
Old 07-26-2005

Daly:

I just bought all my stuff from Speedware including the Arai GP-5K helmet. Similar to your comment below, it seems that the L may be too small and the XL is too big. I am curious what specific solution you wound up with. The L feels tight in the brow and the jaw padding is really snug. The XL in the brow, neck and jaw is just too loose. I am thinking that the L is the right fit and I just don't know any better because I am not used to wearing a proper fitting helmet but my sinuses in the front of my face and forehead really feel under pressure after I take the size L off. This pressure lasts a long time and is unpleasant. I have worn it for various lengths of time over the past weekend and it really puts the squeeze on my head. You guys have all said that a helmet needs to be tight and also that it will break in a little. Suggestions at this point?

Anyone else strike out with the Arai for similar reasons and find another brand to be a better fit? Maybe we have the same head shape and you can help me work this out quicker?!

Thanks for any comments. I'm pretty paranoid about getting this particular piece of equipment sized right and appreciate all your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
I bought my Arai GP-5, Sparco driving suit, racing shoes and accessories through Speedware, (mentioned above) and have had only good experiences with them. I was too big for the large helmet and too small for an extra large so they had Arai change out the jaw padding to get the fit right. They sent me 3 different helmets before we finally got it right and I did have to pay the extra shipping but the guys there are racers, have practical knowledge with the equipment they sell and are nicely service oriented and honorable. They really pay attention to getting you into the right equipment. Their web site is pretty good as well.

I'd check out their website and give 'em a call. Comparison shop. Look at Sy's place, check out Speedware, etc.

You might also try motorcycle distributors who sell speedgear in your area. Often the motor racing shells and padding have the same or similar shape and padding as the motorcycle stuff, so you could get an idea of which brand fits you best before buying.
Old 08-01-2005

I did some research on the old Arai motorcyle helmet I used to wear. The Signet GT. Arai makes their motorcycle helmets with three different shell shapes. The Long Oval shape of the Signet series fit me perfectly. Longer front to back and more narrow side to side. My head is shaped like a bean!

I can't imagine why Arai wouldn't carry this same convention over to their auto helmets? Obviously same fit issues apply. If the outer shell materials are the same, they could certainly build a Nomex interior to match. Maybe a custom option in the future.

I settled on the size XL GP-5K after wearing several other mfr helmets in the correct size. Turns out for me the size L was so tight that it made the correct fitting XL feel too loose in comparison.

Dan at Speedware Motorsports was a great help through this effort!
Old 08-02-2005
Grand Master

David,

Sorry about the delayed response. I went off to Tremblant and left my laptop at home by mistake.

I agonized over the fit as well and went with the larger size and with thicker jaw padding. I was concerned it would be too snug & spent a number of hours sitting at my home office desk with the helmet on to break it in. My wife and daughter found it very amusing but I'm glad I did. It has loosened up a lot and now fits comfortably like a nicely broken in fielders glove. Love the Arai. Love the Speedware guys too! Good stuff. Sounds like you've got it right now and the fit will only get nicer with time.
Old 09-07-2005

Gallery Images: 36

This is a thanks for everyone who posted on this thread, which gave me a bunch of information. I just placed a head-to-toe order with Speedware Motorsports (the sales person there, Adam, was very pleasant too). Just to show you the value of good advice, I also read the entire thread on the HANS device a few days ago and included that in my order. You guys really do have a significant impact with this web site, and I am looking forward to the day when I can see you on the grid. In the meantime, I should give some congratulations to Kasey (yeah, I know, that's a different thread, but he's likely to read this one) on his great performance. Well done! And while I'm at it, although I have never met Gerardo, I have watched several of his in-car videos, it was fun to read all of your comments about his stellar cap to a great season.
Old 09-07-2005
Thumb-alina

Well? What did you get??
Old 09-07-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
Well? What did you get??
Here goes:

Helmet -- Arai GP-5k

Head sock -- Sparco soft touch open hood

Extra visors -- Standard light smoke and Antifog clear (along with a visor hardware kit and a visor sock)

Suit -- Sparco Tech 5

Gloves -- Sparco Fast Tech

Shoes -- Sparco Top 2

Nomex underwear -- Sparco soft touch long-sleeve top and long underpant

Nomex socks -- Sparco

Big bag -- Sparco jumbo bag

Safety -- HANS device (30M economy)

These choices were made based upon comments by several of you as well as my comparison of differences between various brands and models. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2005
Grand Master

You have picked wisely Grasshopper...

I don't see anything on your list that won't serve you well. My only question is with the light smoke visor as I was told it was so light that it didn't have much effect against direct sun or bright light conditions. I got the dark smoke visor and it has been wonderful on sunny, partly sunny or bright overcast days. Of course with the GP-5k you've got the wider visor opening so you'll have the option of using sun glasses and perhaps that is your plan. I've got the GP-5 helmet so sunglasses aren't easily used through the narrower eye opening. I opted for the darker visor and have been very happy with it.

That minor point is the only thing I can come up with!

Well done!
Old 09-08-2005

i agree with pat on the light visor thing. i almost always need sunglasses to see when i'm outside. i would recommend the dark smoke over the light smoke, just b/c you can always wear sunglasses under the clear visor if the dark smoke is too dark. also, i think the sparco bag is somewhere upwards of $125. i have a huge rolling bag that holds everything i have which is pretty much what you have on your list and more. the bag has 4 compartments. 2 on either side of the central compartment. the other compartment is below the other 3. i keep my suit and shoes underneat and my visors, gloves, tearoffs in the side compartments and my helmet, nomex and hans in the central. i got it from target for $40 from c9 by champion. it rolls and has a long handle. if you want the sparco name, get a patch and sew it on over the champion name.
Old 09-08-2005
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by arig
i have a huge rolling bag that holds everything i have which is pretty much what you have on your list and more. the bag has 4 compartments. 2 on either side of the central compartment. the other compartment is below the other 3. i keep my suit and shoes underneat and my visors, gloves, tearoffs in the side compartments and my helmet, nomex and hans in the central. i got it from target for $40 from c9 by champion. it rolls and has a long handle. if you want the sparco name, get a patch and sew it on over the champion name.
that's kinda what I did but I don't think it passes the cool test....
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	sparcobag.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	781  
Old 09-08-2005
Thumb-alina

I have the light smoke and I think it is fine. I use it in almost all conditions... except when I need fog protection/clear sheild. I think it is great. And, I never wear sunglasses underneath.

Only comment on the bag is make sure whatever you get has wheels.
Old 09-08-2005
Grand Master

On visors: Everyone has different tolerances to light so you really have to try out the options and go with what works for you. And though the dark smoke visor looks extreme (and cool in pictures) it's really no darker than a good set of Ray-bans.

On bags: I grabbed K-Mart's biggest rolling duffel with slide out handle and multiple zipper pockets for about 30 bucks the night before going to Sebring last February and have never looked back. I might be tempted to upgrade if there was a purpose built bag with clever organization but haven't seen one yet.
Old 09-08-2005

Thanks for the feedback so far, which is positive and focuses on two items, the visors and the bag.

I generally do not use sun glasses, although I do occasionally. My one primary consideration for not using a dark smoke visor would be whether it might affect my ability to see the tach and other dials at a glance. I would not want my eyes to get adjusted to the light down the track and then not be able to see very quickly what the revs are or the water/oil gauges are. As I get older, my eyes adjust more slowly to changing light.

As for the bag, my initial thought was to get a helmet bag, but the gear bag sounded better. The helmet section has extra padding (according to the Speedware guy) and has separate compartments for a bunch of things. I suspect that nearly all of the alternatives mentioned by others (with the exception of the cdh locker trunk, which does not have wheels) would work about as well. And yes, the super bag does have wheels. Given how I have seen airport baggage handlers toss around suitcases, I like the idea of having extra padding around the helmet.

Anyway, thanks for all of your comments. I still realize that having the finest set of graphite clubs will not alone make anyone hit the ball like Tiger Woods does, and the same applies to racing gear. The two Ross Bentley books and the Carroll Smith book arrived yesterday. Time to start reading!
Old 09-13-2005

Visors: Iridium Silver visor looks really cool! Visor change on the Arai GP-5k is so easy, not a big deal to change over between runs. Carry one of each. Get a spare hardware kit for the helmet so if you lose a screw you are not "screwed."

Bag: I got the Sparco big bag from Speedware as well. It is great and has lots of room. One downfall however is the weight. The empty bag is very heavy due to the frame and the wheels. It may quickly exceed the 50 lb limit imposed by the airlines when full of gear so that is a negative. I'm checking mine planeside on the trip to RA so we'll see how it handles the baggage compartment. I'll probably still carry my helmet on with me. Even though it has a padded compartment (good for preventing scratches) I still don't want it being thrown around and possibly taking a direct hit to my helmet.

Remember the helmet that I had for sale? Turns out it was a MAGIC helment. I sold it to David Merola on Friday before practice at Mid Ohio. He went on to win his first ever official race, as a rookie AND a Master no less. He got three trophies for one race!

Last edited by Kasey; 09-13-2005 at 03:46 PM.

Bookmark This Thread