Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 07-31-2009
Nano Tech Wizard
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 3339
Post Mont Tremlant Summer Series August

Event Name: Mont Tremlant Summer Series August. Organization: Skip Barber Racing School LLC.

More...

Click on 'Post Reply' below to discuss
Old 08-03-2009
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Re: Mont Tremlant Summer Series August

Not sure if this is where this post belongs, but...

This was my first race weekend with Skip Barber. I just wanted to say THANKS to Rob Slonaker, Ted and Dr. Mike for all of your helpful tips which I believe contributed to my "ROOKIE OF THE RACE" award. I had a wonderful time and I hope to see you all again at some of the Southern Series races.

John
Old 08-03-2009
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Wow, what a great cast of Skippy regulars. Looks like you guys had a big time, rain and shine!

Has anyone told Mikhail that there's a National Series? What a shoe!

gdr
Old 08-03-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

I really wish we went there more than once a year. It is easily my favorite track and I need a lot of work there.

The race in the rain was just epic. I watched it twice on my flight home.

(I spun after passing the guy in front of me and dam does that kill me!! )
Old 08-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR News Bot View Post
Event Name: Mont Tremlant Summer Series August. Organization: Skip Barber Racing School LLC.

More...

Click on 'Post Reply' below to discuss
Is there a way to see the lap time values instead of those dumb graphs they give you on that site?
Old 08-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Is there a way to see the lap time values instead of those dumb graphs they give you on that site?
From the lap chart, select "show results" from the upper right. gdr
Old 08-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffDogRacer View Post
From the lap chart, select "show results" from the upper right. gdr
I must be blind.

I have no idea where that is and I am trying very hard to find it.

I got the lapchart, but it does not show the lap times there.
Old 08-03-2009

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaze View Post
Not sure if this is where this post belongs, but...

This was my first race weekend with Skip Barber. I just wanted to say THANKS to Rob Slonaker, Ted and Dr. Mike for all of your helpful tips which I believe contributed to my "ROOKIE OF THE RACE" award. I had a wonderful time and I hope to see you all again at some of the Southern Series races.

John
John, it was a pleasure to meet you and to help you during your first adventure with this group. If you hang around, you will find many great people willing to share their time, energy, and expertise. We are all trying to get better at a very challenging activity. Glad you had such a fun time, and I too look forward to seeing you at a future race weekend.
Old 08-04-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

While Mikhail has unquestionable talent as a driver he is also, at this stage, an unrepentant dirty and wild driver. He doesn't hesitate to make violent blocking moves to intimidate or push others aside to take or keep a position. In race 1 he twice took a defensive line in front of me going between 8 and 10. When I popped inside of him from that defensive middle of the road position he made a violent second move and blocked me hard the first time. The second time he waited until my pass had begun before his violent second block forced me to both take evasive action and lift to avoid serious contact.

Kevin Tittle's video shows him doing a violent unsuccessful pop on the outside of 6 that threw his car completely off the track. Unfortunately the lead car was blocking the observer from his distant vantage point in turn seven so he couldn't see or call the four off. Many I spoke with had stories of his overly aggressive driving style. I was told he also had an unobserved four off in his second race but I don't know if that's true or not.

He reportedly brake checked Kevin between 4 and 5 that caused Al to run into the back of Kevin ruining their race and then brake checked Keenan into 8 on the last lap causing him to lock up and slide wide dropping from 2nd to 4th. While I was the beneficiary of both of those moves that is not the way I want to gain positions.

I hope he does go to the Nationals because the stuff he's getting away with in the Regionals won't float there. In the Nationals there are many more observers focused on monitoring and penalizing overly aggressive unsafe driving tactics.

I'm not questioning his talent or the need to be aggressive but from my perspective he's using aggression in an unsafe strategic manner to intimidate that falls outside the bounds of both safety and good sportsmanship and he won't stop or own up to it until he's strictly held accountable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffDogRacer View Post
Has anyone told Mikhail that there's a National Series? What a shoe!

gdr

Last edited by dalyduo; 08-04-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2009
G-force junkie

Gallery Images: 69

Pat,

I have nothing against hard, assertive driving when it is clean and within the rules. If it were me in your position, the second time around I would have stayed right where I was and allowed the contact. If he has to pit and lose his position often enough, and pay for other people's CD, sooner or later he'll figure it out. Unfortunately a lot of guys come to Skip after time in European or South American series where that type of driving is allowed and becomes the norm.
Old 08-04-2009
Grand Master

But at what price? If he's smart or lucky enough to do it where there are no observers it's his word against mine and what are the odds he's going to fess up? In any event I'm sacrificing my race and points to his entitled arrogance with action that is potentially dangerous to both of us and others. It's matching a low percentage dangerous choice with another of equal stupidity.
At the time the urge to punt him into the helipad hangar was great but I thought better of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Pat,
If it were me in your position, the second time around I would have stayed right where I was and allowed the contact. If he has to pit and lose his position often enough, and pay for other people's CD, sooner or later he'll figure it out.
Old 08-04-2009
G-force junkie

Pat, you are more sensible than I am, which is why you are considerably ahead of me in the points. You made the intelligent choice. Unfortunately I don't tolerate being pushed around well, and tend to go into "bring it on" mode. I know the longer I do this, the likelier it becomes that I might encounter a similar situation, and I will try to channel you and make a good decision. Don't put too much money on it though.

"Thought better of it"? I would have loved to have seen that punt. You would've heard me cheering all the way from the tower.
Old 08-04-2009

"I was told he also had an unobserved four off in his second race but I don't know if that's true or not."

It is true.

Nick has it on tape but since no one saw it during the race Skippy didnt accept the video evidence. I asked Nick to ask Mikhail to confess, but I never heard anything more from that.

There seem to be two types of racers, gentlemen racers and overly aggressive pass/block at all costs drivers. I prefer to race with the gentlemen racers at this point in my skill/experience level. Viz and I have been wheel to wheel for about 100 corners and have never made any contact because we are both courteous to each other (maybe to a fault), but I enjoy those clean battles very much and would rather give him room and lose a point than take us both out of a race by blocking/diving on him.

In my opinion, they need to throw black flags to racers who make two or more blocking moves (one block is allowed in FIA rules right?) or whom take dangerous moves that endanger pilot and car. I would imagine that it can be hard to police.
Old 08-04-2009
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

I was very sorry not to have made the trip to Canada, but I am concerned about the driving tactics out there. Pat, your honest comments were upsetting to say the least. I can say from our short friendship, that YOU must have been REALLY REALLY PISSED to have written that post. I would have allowed the red mist to have taken over, and who knows where it would have gone.

I sincerely hope that you communicated this to the officials, and it was handled by them. The regional races are more of a Gentlemanly affair with enough mistakes made by sheer lack of ablility. We do not need to add in the element of intimidation. Remember folks, we are acing for a $10 plate. And as far as I know, Roger Penske, Richard Childress and Frank Williams are NOT in the pits looking for their next driver in a Skippy Regional race.

Well said Pat, and I hope you know we are all ready to protest this type of driving. If this got your dander up, I cannot help but wonder what the rest of us would have countered with. You are a true Gentleman of the race driving fraternity.
George Kline
Old 08-04-2009

Pat,

Clearly I had no idea of the tactics behind the results... I was just responding to the visible outcome. This sounds like the type of thing that would bring out the thinly vailed redneck in me! I've had minimal encounters with drivers of this type and I'm glad of it. I have had to avoid certain drivers in pit lane but for seemingly much lesser offenses.

If my remark caused this thread to turn dirt brown, maybe it's for the best. I think this is the forum for all of us to keep each other informed of dirty driving. Your reputation precedes you both on this site, through mutual acquaintences and through the repeatable results you post.

Regards, gdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
While Mikhail is unquestionable talent as a driver he is also, at this stage, an unrepentant dirty and wild driver. He doesn't hesitate to make violent blocking moves to intimidate or push others aside to take or keep a position. In race 1 he twice took a defensive line in front of me going between 8 and 10. When I popped inside of him from that defensive middle of the road position he made a violent second move and blocked me hard the first time. The second time he waited until my pass had begun before his violent second block forced me to both take evasive action and lift to avoid serious contact.

Kevin Tittle's video shows him doing a violent unsuccessful pop on the outside of 6 that threw his car completely off the track. Unfortunately the lead car was blocking the observer from his distant vantage point in turn seven so he couldn't see or call the four off. Many I spoke with had stories of his overly aggressive driving style. I was told he also had an unobserved four off in his second race but I don't know if that's true or not.

He reportedly brake checked Kevin between 4 and 5 that caused Al to run into the back of Kevin ruining their race and then brake checked Keenan into 8 on the last lap causing him to lock up and slide wide dropping from 2nd to 4th. While I was the beneficiary of both of those moves that is not the way I want to gain positions.

I hope he does go to the Nationals because the stuff he's getting away with in the Regionals won't float there. In the Nationals there are many more observers focused on monitoring and penalizing overly aggressive unsafe driving tactics.

I'm not questioning his talent or the need to be aggressive but from my perspective he's using aggression in an unsafe strategic manner to intimidate that falls outside the bounds of both safety and good sportsmanship and he won't stop or own up to it until he's strictly held accountable.
Old 08-04-2009
Grand Master

It's important to remember the summer series is a teaching series and we have all kinds of over and undercooked racers of every age and description. It's a fine line between confident aggression that pisses people off and wreckless agression that endangers people while violating the spirit of the sport.

I'm not looking to demonize Mikhail because I don't know him, have never had a conversation with him and don't know what his attitude and intentions are. I didn't appreciate some of his on track behavior but his raw talent may need some seasoning to reach its full potential with Skip Barber instructors as the master chefs.

I trust the instructors who see Mikhail regularly to know where the line is and to let him know when he crosses that line while gauging his response to corrections.

I offer my experience for consideration going forward. If others have different or similar experiences to mine it would be interesting to hear them.

Pat
Old 08-04-2009
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

I didn't listen to all the race chatter (a lot of it but not all) but Mikhail is certainly not slammed by the instructors...others are at times. The few specific Mikhail comments I can recall were praise. I did hear black sticks being requested for a lot of different car numbers but didn't have the race programme when listening so don't know who the drivers were.

I got stomped on by a couple highly enthusiastic racers at Tremblant, steamed me a lot (understatement, beat you to it H) but I talked to the drivers and all is Jake.

Pat, did you seek out Mikhail and discuss?
Old 08-04-2009
administrationistperson

Haven't said this yet - THANKS SKIP BARBER INSTRUCTORS, MECHANICS and STAFF!!! Fun weekend you all kept going despite a shortage of trained mechanics and many drivers who crashed a lot of cars. Great time, thanks all
Old 08-04-2009
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
I'm not looking to demonize Mikhail because I don't know him, have never had a conversation with him and don't know what his attitude and intentions are.
Didn't see him around much between, before or after races and had no conversations with him. Didn't feel the need to confront him because I'd heard he behaved that way on track so it wasn't a surprise when he did and it didn't seem to be bothering the instructors or the true victims of his behavior Al, Kevin and Keenan enough to say anything either.

Like I said... I trust the judgement of instructors who have seen him way more than I have.
Old 08-04-2009

Re: MT TREMBLANT

Im encoding the 'long' race video now of my rain race. (ill cut it down more later.)

Turn 1,2,3 is unlike anything I had ever driven before. I loved it. It takes a long time to warm up for that section of track.

The biggest suggestion and I already told several people this is that the L/F radios need to work. I think I would have learned 10x as much as I did if I could have heard MHP who tried to make it up to me, by spending 20 minutes with me AFTER the L/F was over. My radio to him never worked..

Racing in the rain was super thrilling. I was scared sh$tless before the race began and then after about lap 2 or 3 I was just having so much so much fun chasing down Chris B. I got used to the slides and had some major moments all over the track, but esp scary was turn 6 and going full throttle to 8 and 10.

I _love_ this track and wish we were there more than once a year. I will certainly be back and cant wait to some day take 1,2,3 flat out.

Greg

Last edited by cdh; 08-04-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2009
administrationistperson

And to our newest member Julia DD Daly thanks for your help on the flag stand and elsewhere, you're a team player and it is appreciated

Julia asked if I could take her to a corner for DDad's race, I was going to Namerow to shoot so I made room in the Mini (more difficult than it sounds) and off we went. Did a 7/10ths speed (professor, pay attention) semi hot lap getting there describing what we are doing in the RT as we went, I think she liked the speed - sorry DDad, we might have a new racer soon (and congrats again for the DD, Julia was screaming "That's my Dad!!")

DD response a mix of smilies to new racer idea
Old 08-04-2009
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 33

Quote:
And to our newest member Julia DD Daly thanks for your help on the flag stand and elsewhere, you're a team player and it is appreciated

Julia asked if I could take her to a corner for DDad's race, I was going to Namerow to shoot so I made room in the Mini (more difficult than it sounds) and off we went. Did a 7/10ths speed (professor, pay attention) semi hot lap getting there describing what we are doing in the RT as we went, I think she liked the speed - sorry DDad, we might have a new racer soon (and congrats again for the DD, Julia was screaming "That's my Dad!!")

DD response a mix of smilies to new racer idea

Thanks, Doug! I had lots of fun thanks to all you guys who tolerate a 16 yr old hanging around

I put up some pics i took of G1 when i was out on corner with Doug, labeled Tremblant '09 if any of you want to take a look you might find yourselves in them (i labeled people i knew as best i could)...

And OH EM GEE (you gotta expect it im a teenager right?) i would absolutely LOVE to get in a race car, although i probably need another decade of karting experience before i'd be any good at it :/

Hope to see everyone at Limerock for another amazing weekend, and good luck to everyone at RA!!

Julia
Old 08-04-2009

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
I didn't listen to all the race chatter (a lot of it but not all) but Mikhail is certainly not slammed by the instructors...others are at times. The few specific Mikhail comments I can recall were praise. I did hear black sticks being requested for a lot of different car numbers but didn't have the race programme when listening so don't know who the drivers were.

I got stomped on by a couple highly enthusiastic racers at Tremblant, steamed me a lot (understatement, beat you to it H) but I talked to the drivers and all is Jake.

Some of the black sticks were for him. Phil in particular I recall as having called him out. I do agree that direct discussion is the way to go to start. Certainly if enough drivers have the same experience and get no apologies or changed behavior then SBRS needs to step in. Certainly before we give him some Harsha justice we ought to try. Sounds like the cold war starting all over again.

1981 US Olympics in Lake Placid was a great day at the hockey arena indeed!
Old 08-05-2009
Grand Master

One of my most interesting Tremblant moments happened during a mid-week lapping session. Julia was helping in turn 2 as a flagger (at the top of the hill). While Julia had been sitting for hours waiting for an opportunity to at least wave a flag and talk on the radio I realized I could do something to help. Working up my entry speed through the turn one roller coaster I was approaching flatittude. On the approach to turn one kept my foot at full throttle and turned in... Waaaay too late. Looking up at the right side apex curbs I wanted to clip with my right side tires it was quickly apparent I was on a trajectory to clip the left side rumble strip with my left side tires that would cause a terminal velocity launch over the top of the hill half way back to Montreal... Soooo not close to where I needed to be that it was laughable though not really funny at that moment. I worked the front wheels to the right while modulating the throttle in an effort to pinch the nose back to the right and lower my velocity. The throttle modulation lightened the rear and the back end quickly stepped out. I knew it was gone right away and locked up the brakes as the car did a huge smokey Danny Sullivan over the crest of the hill. Completing the full 360 degree rotation, the car slid through the narrow gravel trap just past the left side rumble strip facing correctly down the hill. I released the brakes and steered back onto the track with nothing more than shovels full of gravel in the sidepods.

Embarrassed by my grand faux pas it was possible to take solice in the fact that I'd at least put on a good show for Julia, who was the closest human to the smokey stunt when it happened, and there was no damaged to the car. Came into the pits for my safety check and feedback. The mechanic handed me the radio and it came to life, "OK Pat... nice job locking up early when you lost the back end... You turned in late and lifted going up the hill causing the spin. Try turning in a little earlier and getting your eyes up to the top sooner so you can get to those right side curbs... Now go back out and have fun..." Everything was normal with one big exception. The voice on the other end of the radio was not an instructor... It was Julia. With a big grin in my helmet I listened to my daughter who'd had her driver's license less than two weeks, give me remarkably detailed feedback of the event she'd just witnessed. What was really impressive was how quickly the instructor wags who pulled this prank, coached her to say all the right things and how accurately she remembered them all. There was only one thing left for me to say... "Thank You... Dear."

You could hear the laughter up and down pit road cackling over the radios. I'd been punked by the best so I went back out smiling and appropriately humbled by Julia's feedback. She reports it's the only time she's ever been allowed to tell me what to do.

Good stufff.
Old 08-05-2009

ditto Pat on Mikhail. He pushed me 2 off going into ten in the brake zone... with interlocking wheels,,,, in practice.
this was done after i passed him going into 8. He was obviously sending me a message for later.
I gave him the real message when we got back after the session and told him that there would be consequences for another move like that next time, and the consequences would occur after the session.
Old 08-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Edwards View Post
ditto Pat on Mikhail. He pushed me 2 off going into ten in the brake zone... with interlocking wheels,,,, in practice.
this was done after i passed him going into 8. He was obviously sending me a message for later.
I gave him the real message when we got back after the session and told him that there would be consequences for another move like that next time, and the consequences would occur after the session.
Love it. What was the response?
Old 08-05-2009

Wink Re: Mont Tremlant Summer Series August

he was not repentant, but knew where he stood. he, and I for that matter, laughed it off a bit, but also knew that this was a big mistake on his part. I was confident that he would not try that again, at least that weekend, with me at least. I don't think he's a bad guy at all, just a kid who needs feedback to let him know what he can and can't get away with - we just need to mind the children every now and then until they learn to act like responsible adults... regardless of their ages !.....
Old 08-07-2009
CARTERACING
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Tremblant is just a great weekend, love the track, enjoy the area.

I'll throw out a few random thoughts.

Agreeing with Greg, love turns 1 through 3, still get a little puker factor cresting the hill. By far the most exciting turn (along with the Kink) in my small brain on our circuit.

As for the Mikhail, chatter. I did 40 laps with him wheel to wheel at Homestead with about 40 passes between us onver 2 races, and was raced against cleanly. He was a crafty little booger though, coming to almost a complete stop, slight offline, so I went flying by with one to go, so he could draft by coming to the checker. As for the brake checking stuff, on Saturday, I ran into Tittle and had to pit missing out on the best racing of the weekend in Group 1. Upon reviewing my tape, there was a slight bobble by the leader (not Mikhail), leading to a slight stack, at that instant my eyes were on the exit of 5, that caused me to tap Tittle. I could blame on it my incredible entry speed, but solely 100% my bad not Mikhail's...(sry Kev)..

I know that Mikhail wasn't able to get through customs into the USA for a Laguna race in March, and he had pre-paid for a half season of Nationals that he has since been unable to use. He was certainly driving with some bent up aggression this weekend and I think he burned up his Skippy $$$ credits. He put 2 cars on the wrong side of pit road in Friday practice, and had some major damage in R2 and R3 on Sunday. I can confirm he had two black sticks in group 2 when I was listen to radio chatter. He had brake locked up on more than 50% of the laps I was racing with him in 4 and 8. Also in G3R2 he was inside of me in 6 racing for the lead before losing it and sliding wildly just missing me, than went 4 7/8 (pun intended) a mere 5 seconds later in turn 8. That was followed by wall contact in 12 a couple laps later. So yes I agree he was driving hard and erratic, but I wouldn't consider him dirty. (but digestind Pat's and Dr. Mike's discription of what he did). He be one of those guys you just hold your breath just a little harder while running tight with, and there's others that I do that with. Summary...Being the betting man that I am, I'd say there's a better than 7/8 chance our Skippy higher powers had the AP talk with him prior to his departure.

Now it did take many a race for me over the last two years to have my first major contact with an immovable object...(ie a wall). It took a major deluge and a stream on track to get me sideways at what is basically the straight away between 6 and 7. It's almost comically all the thoughts that run through ones brain in those split seconds prior to contact. One correction on Randy's comments, he quoted me as saying prior to the race that I had thought I never had contact with a wall. That thought never entered my head until I was sliding backwards knowing contact was immanent. In that short time there were several other thoughts. First was I'd never hit a wall and oh shit this is going to be big. Second was I had just told a new guy to take it easy, there would be plenty of yellows and people going off, and I was NOW that TOOL. Third was I never had crash damage of more than a 1000 or so, and how much was this going to be. Fourth was Keith was going to be pissed because we were wrecking lots of cars. Fifth was am I going to hit the tires or concrete. Sixth was take my hands of the wheel, cause here..KABOOOM!! Actually it was a very nice hands across the chest that I learned by sucking so bad at IRacing that I got in that habit of taking my hands off the wheel and grabbing my shoulders prior to my many virtual impacts. I'll learn how to edit my video and post that clip.

All and all a fun weekend. Thanks to everyone for helping my boys to be so welcomed at the track. Neither has ever showed an interest in attending, and I actually had to do some arm twisted to get them there. Both had a blast and have inquired as to attending again.

On to RA and the Kink
Old 08-07-2009
CARTERACING
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Oh I forgot to send out my best wishes to Dr J.

Jim Norman suffered a fracture to a vertebrae in his Saturday qualifying session crash at the bottom of the hill in 3.

He showed some toughness in completing the entire race weekend and I'll never again bust on him for the size of his vagina. But he is out for the rest of the season.
Old 08-07-2009
Grand Master

Very sorry to hear of Dr. Jim's injury. Tough stuff for sure. We send only best wishes for a speedy recovery. Since he rarely smiles it will be a while before we learn if it only hurts when he laughs.

Great comments Al. Thanks for your perspective on Mikhail. He's definitely crafty and wild. I experienced what I would call two dirty moves but perhaps he is not yet as clear as I am on what constitutes a block. Glad to hear the brake check report was inaccurate.

Yes it is amazing how many thoughts go through your mind while sliding backwards at a high rate of speed toward an immovable object. My first big hit Mine was a few years ago when I was more prone to both crashing and crushing word count. (Sorry 'bout that)

No more beautiful location nor challenging track than Tremblant. Julia and I both enjoyed meeting your sons... Very good stuff sharing race weekends with family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
Jim Norman suffered a fracture to a vertebrae in his Saturday qualifying session crash at the bottom of the hill in 3.
Old 08-07-2009

Quote:
Tremblant is just a great weekend, love the track, enjoy the area.
Same!

Quote:
...... First was I'd never hit a wall and oh shit this is going to be big. Second was I had just told a new guy to take it easy, there would be plenty of yellows and people going off, and I was NOW that TOOL. Third was I never had crash damage of more than a 1000 or so, and how much was this going to be. Fourth was Keith was going to be pissed because we were wrecking lots of cars. Fifth was am I going to hit the tires or concrete. Sixth was take my hands of the wheel, cause here..KABOOOM!! Actually it was a very nice hands across the chest that I learned by sucking so bad at IRacing that I got in that habit of taking my hands off the wheel and grabbing my shoulders prior to my many virtual impacts. I'll learn how to edit my video and post that clip.
Nice description there and I can totally see those rapid fire thoughts going through ones head.
I hope to stay off the walls too!

Quote:
All and all a fun weekend. Thanks to everyone for helping my boys to be so welcomed at the track. Neither has ever showed an interest in attending, and I actually had to do some arm twisted to get them there. Both had a blast and have inquired as to attending again.

On to RA and the K
I drove/took them to turn 2 for your first race, Conner was so excited at the start of your race. I think he exclaimed "There goes my Dad!" a couple of times as you wizzed by.

OT: my precious speed yellow gt3 was stolen today. I am staying in vegas at the red rock and it was stolen out of the parking garage - i am stunned and angry. Sorry for the OT..
Old 08-07-2009
G-force junkie

Quote:
OT: my precious speed yellow gt3 was stolen today. I am staying in vegas at the red rock and it was stolen out of the parking garage - i am stunned and angry. Sorry for the OT..
Greg-- man, I'm sorry to hear that. What a lousy thing to happen. However, being a unique vehicle, the authorities may well track it down. That it was stolen out of the parking garage suggests that there may have been inside "assistance."
Old 08-07-2009
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Quote:
That truly sucks Greg. I hope there's a speedy recovery of your GT3. I know the sickening feeling of losing a favored ride.

Viz
Old 08-07-2009
Grand Master

Major bummer... Well lets hope whatever's stolen in Vegas... Stays in Vegas. Did it have Lojack?
Quote:

Last edited by dalyduo; 08-07-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Greg-- man, I'm sorry to hear that. What a lousy thing to happen. However, being a unique vehicle, the authorities may well track it down. That it was stolen out of the parking garage suggests that there may have been inside "assistance."
They tracked it down. 1.7 miles from the red rock hotel i was staying at

It was apparently driven out, but they wont let me see the video.

It was found torched.

The cops came over at 6:30 am the next day and woke me up, after 20 minutes of softie questions, they suddenly told me that they had found the car and that I was guilty of having arranged it. They spent the next 1.5 hours trying to get me to confess to something I didnt nor would never do!!

This is all like a horribly bad episode of CSI.
Old 08-08-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
They tracked it down. 1.7 miles from the red rock hotel i was staying at

It was apparently driven out, but they wont let me see the video.

It was found torched.

The cops came over at 6:30 am the next day and woke me up, after 20 minutes of softie questions, they suddenly told me that they had found the car and that I was guilty of having arranged it. They spent the next 1.5 hours trying to get me to confess to something I didnt nor would never do!!

This is all like a horribly bad episode of CSI.
that really sucks, sorry Greg, I guess garage CCT cam did not reveal perp, bummer......sounds more like Reno 911
Old 08-08-2009
Grand Master

Wow... Tough stuff Greg... Sorry for your loss and the Kafkaesque accusations. The model of adding insult to injury.
Old 08-09-2009
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

I'm a little late to this party but,

First let me say Makhail is a good guy. He has helped me out away from the track before. And he is a very good driver. But some of his actions on the track are the polar opposite.

It is very clear on my video that Makhail broke earlier and harder for turn 5 than Dr.Mike, I just barley got it slowed down and I was not surprised at all that Al couldn't. And that is not the first time he has done it. I have some video from Sebring with Makhail in the lead and he brake checks me, luckily that time we all continued and he almost threw it off in the next corner so he couldn't get away like he wanted. And there are numerous other incidents that I have heard about or witnessed, and it just shows a pattern of aggressiveness that just isn't necessary.

When I get in the car I want to race, and I would feel like crap if I won a race by blocking chopping and brake checking the competition because that to me is not racing. But that is because everything I have ever been told is that that is wrong. And I just think that Makhail was brought through racing being told the opposite. That is not to condone what he does, and it does need to change if he wants to make a career of it here in NA.

I did make my opinion known to the instructors and to Makhail. Not that either will do anything to address the issue.

As for the weekend, I think Tremblant is one of the best tracks around, my results weren't great and alot of that was my own fault. But I stuck it on pole in an awesome session that was the highlight of the weekend for me.
Old 08-09-2009
Grand Master

Kevin,
Thanks for sharing your perspective on Mikhail and congrats again on taking pole. I know Gerardo was proud of your accomplishment and your dad must have been thrilled as well.

Pat
Old 08-09-2009
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
But I stuck it on pole in an awesome session that was the highlight of the weekend for me.
Yes you did. It was awesome to watch.

I hope you are reliving that session on a daily basis, remembering what it felt like, smelled like, tasted like. Wherever you were in that session, mentally, physcally, emotionally, visually, if you can stay there every moment you are in the car, no one will be able to touch you.
Old 08-09-2009

Kevin, congrats on some great driving this weekend. Luck may not have been on your side this past weekend but you are progressing well and your maturity will take you far beyond this series. Keep it up and stay positive. What goes around comes around.

When you are threat to someone the weak will try to trip you up any way they can. The real competitors will respect you and make you earn it within the rules.
Old 08-09-2009
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Thank you guys. It means alot. It really does.

Also makes me realize how bad it is that I didn't congratulate everyone else.

It was a great weekend, with good friends, some good laughs, and great racing. And I hope we can all do it again at Road America, or sometime soon for those that wont be there.

Bookmark This Thread