Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 07-19-2005
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
How do you add to a foam seat?

I had a seat made, but it came out too thin. I don't want to add any thickness to the seat but just some more lateral support, by extending the side bolsters. The seat is already taped up.

Last edited by sydude; 07-19-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2005
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815
Re: How do you add to a foam seat?

Ari,

If you raise the height of the side bolsters, they may interfere with your arms/elbows when you steer. My side bolsters are also lower than I'd like, but I had to compromise to allow for the wild steering that comes with racing with the Irrational Nationals.

If you want "thicker bolsters" as if the seat needs to be a smaller waist size, you can simply place or attach a bit of Skippy seat foam (the softer stuff drivers without custom seats use) over the area you'd like a tighter fit. Works like a charm for me.

Cheers

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 07-19-2005
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

I read in another post that a couple of the mechanics make these seats for your guys? Can anyone advise what I can do in order to have one made when I am at Mid Ohio in September? Should I contact somebody in advance?

Also, can you give the background on the "mechanics fund?" Assume it is a gratuity pool of some sort. I want to be appropriate during my first race weekend and assure that I show my appreciation for their hard work. What is a customary contribution? Is it cash, credit through Skippy? "Keep me from looking stupid" as my old boss used to say!

Thanks,

Kasey
Old 07-20-2005
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

thanks gerardo.

kasey, contact your customer service rep and ask who to contact about that. i talked to german who is an eastern series mechanic. i dont know if he will be at mid-ohio. he did a great job though. everyone i talk about the seats say it is worth it, however for me, since i'm larger than probably any other racer out there, the seat didnt make that much of a difference. but don't listen to me. as for the mechanics fund, donate whatever you can to them. they are the reason why we have cars to race in. they do an amazing job, and work so hard. they are at the track before we arrive and are still there after we leave. in addition, sy makes shirts that say "team juicy racing" and sells them for the mechanics fund so people get something else for the money they donate to the mechanics.
Old 07-20-2005
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Kasey- the thread that talks about getting seats made is here:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...read.php?t=672

I suggest that you call your CSR and ask him to put you in contact with one of the crew chiefs to make arrangements for your seat. If you can't get in touch with one of them, send me an email and I'll speak to one of the guys while I'm at Tremblant to set you up.

The Mechanic's Fund is handled outside of Skippy, and each series generally has an organizer that handles it. At Mid-O you'll probably have Sid, Martin Z and John G handling the duties, and they will let you know what you should do. You are doing a wonderful thing by contributing to the fund, by the way. Those kids work their asses off for us, and it's a great way to say thank you.
Old 07-20-2005
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Ari, you beat me to the punch with your post. Thanks for bringing up the shirts - we have a new shirt and a new hat coming out at Tremblant, which you should also be able to get at Mid-O, all for the Mechanic's Fund.

Ari, in regards to the seat - if you want to add foam to areas that will not impede your arm motion, you should be able to do it pretty easily, as un-cured two-part foam will stick like mad to your cured seat core. You'll first have to remove the tape from your seat, of course, and then re-bag it to pour the extra foam. The process is almost exactly like pouring a new seat. German knows how to do it.

Bookmark This Thread