Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 03-06-2006
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Josh Rehm killed in traffic accident

This was written by Nick Longhi yesterday. One of Josh's many close friends. Todd

To all,

Josh Rehm was killed today in Wisconsin. He was driving from
Steamboat, Colorado to Madison to see a girl, when a pick-up crossed the median and ended his life.

I only remember the first line from Bruce MacInnes' write up on Josh
from the Three-Day school that he took when he was fifteen, but it's a good one: "Something special here..."

He was a two time Formula Dodge Champion, and eventually a Skippy instructor who was genetically unable to not call out jackasses.
That's at least part of what kept him from going beyond the stage of testing in Atlantic and Indy Lights, but also what gave him the balls to start up and push Detroit Coffee, which to the amazement of many is getting some real traction.
He got the odd DP or GT ride recently, and partied with Tommy Lee at the Sundance Film Festival.
Appropriately, his last Skippy race was a Lime Rock Memorial last summer, which he won.

Josh's purpose was to enjoy life. He was a bright, honest kid who had a lot of friends who will miss him.

He and I talked about Bode Miller's attitude during the Olympics; the following is a quote from Miller that I think says a lot about Josh as well:

"But is the whole goal of life preserving your life as long as you
can? No. The goal is to enjoy your life, to challenge yourself, to
sometimes make stupid decisions, which are sometimes fun and
sometimes idiotic and sometimes just a big, fat mistake that you
regret. But the reason for it all is enjoyment; that's the reason for
life."

We will keep everybody posted on funeral arrangements, etc.

Nick Longhi

----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.channel3000.com/news/7725613/detail.html

Head On Collision Kills One
Old 03-06-2006

Re: Josh Rehm killed in traffic accident

Just to add to what Nick has already said about Josh.

I have many fond memories of Josh. Mostly from working with him coaching Ferrari Challenge drivers.

While Josh and I were not super close, I always kind of thought of him as the kid brother I never had.

As Nick mentioned Josh came in to our lives at a very young age, and it has been great to watch him over the years turn in to a fine young man, a good instructor and a great race car driver.

My best memory of Josh unfortunately is the last. As Nick mentioned Josh worked the finale at Lime Rock in October. When he was getting ready to run in the memorial, he had a great idea to wire him with an in car radio so that he could broadcast while he was driving.
It was the funniest thing ever to see and hear! Mostly because it was Josh and his strange but great sense of humor!

He will be sorely missed........ but not forgotten.

Todd
Old 03-06-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Devastating. We've lost a wonderful friend in the prime of his life. I'll cherish the good times we had together - in the bar drinking and laughing, on the track doing what we love most, and just hanging out. I will miss you greatly.

Here are some pictures of Josh, from his business website.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	jr.com01.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1051   Click image for larger version

Name:	jr.com02.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1052   Click image for larger version

Name:	jr.com03.jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1053  

Last edited by cdh; 03-13-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2006
Big Dick
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

I too remember the "live feed" at LRP and it is a good memory. A good person gone too soon. Sad. Very sad.
Old 03-06-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

I didn't know Josh for a long time or even well enough for him to call me a friend but I do have some good memories of him especially at Watkins Glen where I met him this year. He and I and a few others were on pit wall just talking about racing but mostly listening to some of his great stories about racing in Europe with Palmer Audi I believe, a certain F1 driver and his wife, and running a Ferrari 575 I think at Mont Tremblant. I just opened up TJR to read before I headed up to the Catskills to go snowboarding and I just can't believe this has happened. He was such a nice and friendly guy.

My prayers are with his family and friends.
Old 03-06-2006
Skippy Instructor
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

I met Josh during my first race weekend with Skip Barber. I was 21, he was 17. It was the season opener at Lime Rock in 1996 and he was introduced as one of the guy to watch that year. Turns out he won both races that weekend and went on to win the title. He had told me how impresses he was with my driving ( I found the podium). He recalled how he hadn't gotten a poduim until late in his first season and that if I could run again in 1997 I could perhaps win it all. He turned into the guy I tried to emulate most in my early years showing me that it could be done. Unfortunatly I never lived up his prediction finishing 16th in 1997.

He then got a job with Skip Barber instructing while dabbleing in the Pro Series never having the solid budget behind him to do the testing, hire the engineers, or pay the crash damage bill after getting taken out. Despite the disappointment of that year he rallied and would show his true talent in 1999. During college, with no money to his name, he used his skippy employee discount and some helpful friends to go for the Eastern Series Championship again. He was up against some strong drivers that year as there was no national at the time. Imagine taking 1/4th of the nationals feild and adding it to the already strong mix of eastern series regulars. In the end the championship came down to Josh and Skippy karting scholarship winner/choosen one Ryan Hunter-Reay. Hunter-Reay would show up and lap all week while Josh, having the budget of a college kid, would skip practice, sleep in his car, and bring 3 friends to flag just to make ends meet. When you see RHR in a champ car just remember that Josh kicked his ass the hard way on route to his second SBRS championship. Unfortunatley we all know how this game works.

Later Josh and I would run a few races together in a couple of Porsches and as Nick pointed out he would come across the occational GT or DP ride but he never seemed to make the connection with a team owner that was willing commit to a series and back him. Yet despite all the frustration he had with the racing world he would always be at the track, ready when the opportunity came, something most frustrated drivers cannot claim. I last saw him at Daytona where he spent the weekend walking and talking hoping that one of the 73 teams would need a good guy. Unfortunatly no one took him up on it. Their loss.

Throughout the 10 years that have passed Josh was always a friend. Sometimes I wouldn't hear from him for a year, othertimes I would get sick of him but he was there when I needed him for a ride somewhere or a place to stay on a moments notice. It is ironic that he and I were sharing a room in Danville teaching a school for Skip when I got a call from my mother about Allie, my step sister. He certainly proved he was a friend that week.

I will always remember his quirky personality, his habit of getting too close when he talked, his love for mid 80-s VW rabbits, emo music, and Ferrari owners daughters. Please keep his family in your thoughts.
Old 03-06-2006
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

I'm sure we've all heard others outside the fold concerned about the dangers we face driving race cars. My usual reply is "the most dangerous part of a race weekend is driving to the circuit". A big loss, very sad day.

There was a reality TV show a couple years ago called "Bragging Rights" that pitted friends against each other in feats of physical skill and endurance. Josh and Phil Lombardi were on the show and taping was done at a campground in Kent, CT. I spent the day with them as one of Phil's cheering squad and taped a lot of the activities that day, as well as the backgound clips they shot at LRP. Josh and his cheering squad kept us laughing all day. I'll keep looking for those tapes but I fear they have been reused. I know Phil has a VHS of the TV show, maybe I can get hold of it and get some highlights online.

I do have this one clip, that's Josh in the second short clawing away in the red car (and beating Phil to the stripe). A good example of his drive and determination.

BTW, Josh won a trip to Cancun by nosing out Phil in the Bragging Rights competition.

video shorts - Bragging Rights

updated - found these stills from the shoot day

Name:	br01.jpg
Views:	1892
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1002   Click image for larger version

Name:	br02.jpg
Views:	1868
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1003   Click image for larger version

Name:	br03.jpg
Views:	1855
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1004   Click image for larger version

Name:	br04.jpg
Views:	1843
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1005  

Name:	br05.jpg
Views:	1826
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1006   Click image for larger version

Name:	br06.jpg
Views:	1822
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1007  

Last edited by cdh; 03-06-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2006
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Very, very sad news. Josh was my coach and comic relief during the 2000Ferrari Challenge series and was enormously helpful in helping me deal with the unstable 360 Challenge. Actually, we were second in the championship going into the race in Montreal where we got taken out at the start. But, it was absolutely Josh's unique ability to get me to laugh at crucial moments that put us in that position. Just a terrific kid.

Unfortunately, this is just another reminder that public roads are really scary places, while the race track is far safer.

Anne and I send out our thoughts and prayers to Josh's family and friends. We will miss him.

Darryl
Old 03-06-2006
Fund Raiser Racer

JOSH IS ONE OF THE REASON'S WE ALL COME TO THE RACETRACK.THERE IS NO AGE BARRIER WE ARE ALL THE SAME.JOSH HAD A WAY OF MAKING US ALL LAUGH WITH HIM AND AT OURSELVE'S.I KNEW HIM SINCE HE WAS 17.AND AS YOU MIGHT GUESS GAVE HIM A REAL HARD TIME BECAUSE I LIKED HIM. MY HEART BREAKS FOR JOSH'S FAMILY WHO I KNEW WELL.

JOSH MIGHT BE GONE BUT HE WON'T BE FORGOTTEN WE WILL ALL HAVE OUR MEMORIE'S HE WAS INDEED SPECIAL

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 03-06-2006
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

I am devistated to learn this at about 8 am this morning. The last time I worked with Josh was about the only time I really met him. He was usually busy doing what he did best, cutting up and making people smile. I worked a very pleasant 2 day adv just last summer with him at VIR. I felt like I had known him for many years in just the 2 days I got to know him. We kept in contact over time... I am deeply saddened by this all. May God Bless his Family and may he rest in peace in that giant racetrack in the sky. Miss you Josh... Keith Watts
Old 03-06-2006
Senior Skippy Coach
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Josh gave us, in his all to short life, a real lesson in what living is about. He was always his own man and attacked life with joy and gusto.
The highest tribute we each can pay Josh is to live our lives a little more as he did.
Farewell to our brother in arms.
Old 03-06-2006
Fastest Squirrel Around

A tragedy indeed.

I remember when Josh started racing in the Eastern Series. What a character. We became friends over the years. I ran into him most recently at the Rolex 24 in Daytona this year. What a character.

He could make you laugh or drive you nuts. Never at a loss for an opinion or a story. One thing is for sure: it was rarely dull when Josh was around. The world just got a little less entertaining. Hopefully, he's up there talking off St. Peter's ear.

Condolences to Andy, the rest of his family, and all his (many) friends.

God's Speed, Josh.
Old 03-06-2006

There are very few people that you come across in life that are true originals. They are those that without effort engrain themselves in your mind as special and irreplaceable, those who's personalities and behaviors can't be duplicated and when gone are horribly missed. Josh was one of these few, I know he will be sincerely missed by many. I will always remember him.
Old 03-06-2006

Bernie Ecclestone has always said that if you have an unlucky driver, you should fire him because luck is an integral part of success in motor racing. We like to say that people make their own luck but it is simply not true. Some people are luckier than others.
Josh was not lucky. He deserved much more than he got in motor racing - and indeed in life - although he lived life to the full.
The thing that I liked about Josh - and what made him stand out - was that his problems moving up the racing ladder did not create any bitterness in him. He was always positive and enthusiastic. If he couldn't find somewhere to race in Europe, he would hang out in the grandprix.com offices in New York and help us out. It pains me that we were not able to help him more.

(See: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16337.html)
Old 03-06-2006

Very, very sad. I had a chance to share some entertaining University of Vermont stories with Josh at the last Lime Rock race. I did not know him very well and this was the first time I talked with him about something other than racing. We had a good laugh about how much fun you could have at night in Burlington and how important it was to get the most out of being there. It was a very funny conversation. I was left with the impression that he tried his best to get the most out of being there. I was also left with the impression that he probably did that with most things in life.
My thoughts are with his family and his friends.
Old 03-06-2006
administrationistperson

page of photos on motorsport.com

Last edited by cdh; 03-12-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2006
Stephan Bastrzycki
Rookie / Advanced Member (<10 Posts)

Josh and I worked together at many Skip Barber events, and we kept in touch occasionally during the 'off-season'. I spoke with him last this past Thursday as he was getting ready to finish the winter driving school and head east.

His humor, wittiness, and outspoken character that he brought to the series will be greatly missed by all. I will miss him as a friend.

-Stephan Bastrzycki
Old 03-06-2006
Don

What a horrible loss of a very special young man. Josh lived every moment and did so with intelligence, candor and humor as so few do. Since the time I first coached Josh as a student and later worked with him as a fellow instructor, I always felt a great joy when next I saw him again. For I knew with Josh around my day was going to be more unique, clever, edgy and entertaining than I had anticipated. God's speed young friend, you seemed always to have it anyway.

Don Kutschall
Old 03-06-2006

Josh - Good Guy

I only met Josh over two race weekends, a Ferrari Challenge 6 hr in Homestead in '99 and at the Indy GP Ferrari Challenge race in 2002. In Homestead he led the race for quite a while and it was obvious to those following him that he was very talented.
I met him again at Indy and he was as happy & good humoured as before. I followed his progress through Nic and although he did not get the breaks he was a rounded individual who knew that actually despite the fact that we all love it, motor racing is not the most important thing in the world & he got on with things.
A short life but a good life. RIP Josh & God bless your parents & friends.
Old 03-06-2006

I AM SHOCKED AND STUNNED AT THIS BAD NEWS. I FIRST MET JOSH IN 2000 WHEN HE WAS A VERY BIG HELP TO OUR FERRARI CHALLENGE TEAM AND ITS DRIVERS. JOSH WAS ALWAYS VERY PROFESSIONAL AND HELPED WITH DRIVER COACHING, CAR SETUP AND DATA ANALYSIS. FOR THAT HE WILL BE VERY MUCH MISSED BY THE MILLER MOTORCARS TEAM.

HOWEVER, JOSH WAS MUCH MORE TO ME PERSONALLY. I CAN CLOSE MY EYES AND SEE JOSH AT SIEBKENS LAST YEAR WHEN WE TOOK OVER THE PLACE UNTIL WE WERE ASKED TO LEAVE AFTER CLOSING TIME. I REMEMBER THE TIME WE DROVE AROUND NEAR ROAD ATLANTA GOING TO EVERY AUTO PARTS STORE TRYING TO FIND A STARTER FOR HIS CLAPPED OUT VW. THEN THERE WERE OUR E-MAILS IN WHICH WE DISCUSSED GOING DRIFTING SO THAT WE COULD HOOK UP WITH ASIAN GIRLS.

LAST NIGHT I MADE RESERVATIONS FOR JOSH AND OUR OTHER TEAM MEMBERS FOR A HOTEL NEAR HOMESTEAD FOR THE FIRST CHALLENGE RACE COMING UP IN 4 WEEKS. AND NOW...................!

JOSH, GOD BLESS YOU AND GOD COMFORT YOUR FAMILY.
Old 03-06-2006
administrationistperson

a few more shots

Name:	brlrp00.jpg
Views:	1712
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1008   Click image for larger version

Name:	brlrp02.jpg
Views:	1708
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1009   Click image for larger version

Name:	brlrp04.jpg
Views:	1710
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1010   Click image for larger version

Name:	brlrp07.jpg
Views:	1705
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1011  

Name:	brlrp08.jpg
Views:	1705
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1012  
Old 03-06-2006
Racing Fool

To All My Family at SBR

I want you to know, that we lost an amazing racer this past weekend. I had the fortune of racing with Josh, when he started at SBR years ago. I learned to know him, and his family. If there was ever a gifted racer...."a natural"......that was Josh. He was a WINNER........on and off the track............he was a Champion......and should always be remembered that way. The SBR family is an absolutely amazing group of individuals.........and Josh was definitely part of this incredible family. He will be forever missed.....but NEVER forgotten.

With deepest sympathy,
Eddie Somma
Old 03-06-2006
Infrequent Flier ;)

A couple shots of Josh last summer in the Beam Me Up Scottie Memorial.

My condolences to all who knew him.

Robert
Old 03-06-2006

I still can't believe this news...

Josh was my best friend at Skip Barber...He and I ran a memorial together in 2003, exchanging 1st and 2nd for 90% of the race, and of course at the end, he outsmarted me and got me in the chicane at the uphill...he always had something to offer both on and off the track, and was one of the best people I have known...that race with him in that memorial was the most fun I have ever had in a racecar.

Josh will be sadly missed by me and my entire family...we will never forget him.

JR
Old 03-07-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

This is the third time I've read this thread, because I just can't get it to sink in.

Once you met Josh, and made even the smallest connection, you felt like you were buddies forever.

I'll never forget meeting him at Watkins Glen last year. He was giving me feedback about consistantly missing the trackout of the Heel... "you are giving up 9 feet of road and tons of speed" he kept saying. He could tell I wasn't buying it, and kept trying to convince me. Eventually, I said "are you sure that is the 65 car?" Without missing a beat, he said "oh, 65? no, you are fine. I was talking about 56!" It may not sound that funny here, but we had a good laugh over it. And, it was my 'in' to the world of Josh.

You can remember each moment you spent with Josh... his impersonation of (well maybe I shouldn't say)... the way he tried to convince you that the Mitsubishi Evo is the best car on the planet... the way he lived out of his car... the amazing color commentary complete with a dozen one-liners as he drove the Lime Rock Memorial... not to mention the description of watching his ex-girlfriend make out with Danica somebody!!... and on and on.

He will be sorely missed and fondly remembered.

I think I'll wear the Detroit Coffee t-shirt he gave me to work tomorrow. It was the last time I saw him.
Old 03-07-2006
Former Eastern Series Reg

Like many others on this board I met Josh when he first came to Skip Barber. I can remember that summer and the summers that followed like they were yesterday. Josh always made you laugh no matter what you were talking about. He had a habit of dropping in on conversations three quarters over and jumping in like he had been involved the whole time ! It was just too funny, you had to laugh ! Although I had lost touch with him over the years, it was always great to run in to him wherever. As its been said, he was a true friend, and he will surely be missed.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Joe Calderone
Old 03-07-2006
thenextbulgarianmiracle!!

I didn't know Josh personally very well, but enough to feel crushed by the sad news. He just seemed like a great guy. I remember doubting his feedbacks at first, because he was so young and I'd never seen him drive or knew anything about him.. My biggest memory is again that memorial race last year that he won. I remember watching him fight with the others in turn one and thinking to myself: "Wow, not only he could drive, but he is actually one of the best I've seen here!" I was also very impressed that someone could take the Uphill in the rain, while racing for the lead AND talk about it at the same time, as if he was a TV comentator!

It's such a shame, and hard to accept what has happend. As everyone here I am deeply saddened by it, and hope I can help to dissipate the pain. Of course it's the hardest for his family, and my thoughts are with the ones he was closest to...
Old 03-07-2006
WillowCross Racing

Gallery Images: 1

For those interested in attending Josh's wake will be held on Friday from 4:00pm until 7:00pm at:
Bartlett-Garrity Funeral Home
338 Court Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
Tel: (508) 746-3456

The services will be held on Saturday at 10:00am at:
The Church of the Pilgrimage
8 Town Square
Plymouth, MA 02360
Tel: (508) 746-3026
Old 03-07-2006

I also remember when Josh first came to SBR to race.... driving down from Vermont with his girlfriend in an old clapped out car. As many of you have said, he was unique.... his humor, his manner, his zeal. Josh was always Josh, and will be missed by all.
My condolences to his family who we got to know at our races when they came to cheer on their son.
Wally
Old 03-07-2006

Josh will be missed!

He was absolutely one of the funniest persons in the paddock. I always enjoyed running into him at the track and hearing one of his great stories. He was a great talent that never got a fair shot. I had the fortune of being able to run him in a Porsche for a few sessions at Mont Tremblant last year. He was absolutely a joy to work with and, was grateful, and had a huge smile the whole time. Good times and great stories managed to always follow Josh around. He had the ability to make anyone laugh or smile at will. I’ll miss him for sure.

Peter Baron

SAMAX
Old 03-07-2006

I had the privilege of meeting Josh his first year in SBR. We became good freinds over the years of racing together. He could no matter what the circumstances always make you smile. I will never forget during a pro race weekend at Watkins Glen I had a herniated disk in my back and was unable to race. I spent all weekend in my room unable to get out of bed. Both Josh and his girlfriend spent the entire weekend with me trying to cheer me up and get me back on my feet. As miserable as I was Josh was still able to make me laugh and give me a postive attidude about the situation. Josh will be greatly missed by all that new him but he will never be forgotten.

My deepest sympathy and prayers go out to his family.

One other important note for everyone to think about. I beleive very strongly that everyone of us that have this strong passion for racing like Josh are part of a close family. I deeply regret that over the last few years I have not stayed in as close of contact with my family as I would have liked. Ten months ago Josh called and ask when we could get together I said let me check and see what my scedule looks like and I will give you a call back. I never made that call.

So today if there is someone out their that you have been meaning to call but just haven't had the time make the time and call!!
Old 03-07-2006

Gallery Images: 14

So what could I say about Josh that already hasn't been said?? He was probally one of the most unique undidviduals that any of us will ever meet from anywhere in our lives. With his attitude and energy, it's still really hard to believe that he won't be around anymore. Probally the only thing that could convince me would be to go to his services and actually see him in his last resting place. But, I've already been to enough funerals to know that is not how I want to remember him. For Josh I'd much rather remember him, walking up to me with that smart-ass smile on his face, about to start a conversation with something so wonderfully crass and non PC to say.

Like Scott has just said in the post directly above, I hope this makes those phone calls that are overdue, to happen right now. It's amazing no matter how many times so many of us go through loses like Josh's that we still sometimes forget how fragile and fleeting life can be. I know that I could have never thought the last dinner Josh, Phil L., Rick D. and I shared at West Main this past autumn would be my last chance to spend some lesuire time with Josh.

And I really think that at times like this truely reminds us why so many people stick around the Skippy family. Whether we'd be racing 70's clapped-out technology, or in super duper carbon tubbed cars, while being stroked like those lil F. BMW F1 wanna be's., it just doesn't matter. What keeps people coming back whether racing, watching, flagging, coaching, wrenching, or in T&S is the frienships and the personalities. You could never meet the variety of people and personalities in any other one "tent" anywhere in the world. Hopefully this loss will keep that fresh in our minds at Skippy all the way from top to bottom.

I'll miss you Josh, and I'll always carry a small spark of you with me...
Old 03-07-2006
Umbrella Girl

Gallery Images: 1

Like some who have posted, I did not know Josh well. I only met him last year at two race weekends. But I was struck with how much Michael admired him as a racer and as an instructor. In case you didn't know, Michael's not the easiest guy to impress, and Josh impressed him. That makes me know what a special person Josh was. And while I didn't know him well, this still hits the Auriemma family very hard because it affects the entire Skippy Family.

This is a testimonial to the Skippy Family and to Team Juicy. To bring people together like this in such a sad time. Who would have believed an expensive hobby and a website could do this? I am amazed at the outpouring of love. Friends here in the suburbs just don't "get it" about Skip Barber and the racing. This is what it's all about, the friendship and camraderie.

So I extend my deepest sympathies both to the Rehm Family and to the Skippy Family in this time of sorrow.

Sue
Old 03-07-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Like everyone else I am saddened at our loss of a great guy.
I am reminded of the phrase "to know him is to love him".

Thank you Josh.

Ken
Old 03-07-2006
Tire Pariahrometer

Heartbreak. Coached Josh...enjoyed Josh..worked with Josh. It was my pleasure to see him grow from teenager to extreemly competant and effusive adult. What spirit! What a loss to all who knew him.
So long to a unique and inspiring human being.
Old 03-07-2006

Sad, sad news.
Old 03-07-2006

I can't begin to express how incredibly sad that I am. Josh and I have been very close friends since the first day that we met almost ten years ago. I'll always remember him for who he is, a smart, very funny, say whats on your mind kind of guy, that could drive the wheels off a race car. The world has lost a truly special person. My thoughts and prayers go out to Josh's family.
I'm so sad. I'll miss you terribly Josh.
Old 03-08-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

I am reminded of the saying that people die twice. The first time is when they die physically. The second is when people stop talking about them. It is obvious from this thread that Josh will be with us for some time to come...
Old 03-08-2006
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

My best Josh memories are from the aformentioned Lime Rock weekend. Josh came to me and asked me if it was okay to rip me apart on the radio during his colorful commentary during the regional races.

He asks me, "Do you still have a thing for Laura R.? Do you mind if I talk about it on the radio?" I said, sure, no problem, wanting to be a good sport, but not knowing what I'd said yes to.

Sure enough, during a race, a driver is way off the pace and certain to finished dead last. Josh keys his radio and announces to the world, "The driver of 55 has about as much chance of winning as Gerardo does of dating Laura R.!"

I'll never forget that, nor his hilarious announcer accent he used while calling the Memorial race he drove in, nor the countless other one-liners he often tag teamed with Walter Irvine on the air. Simply an amazing guy. He was his own man.

We will miss him.
Old 03-08-2006
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

With the news of his untimely passing and the shock of his loss, our thoughts and prayers are with Josh's family.

Josh probably worked half of the Skip Barber events I've attended. With each event admiration only grew:

At Advanced 2-day... "Who is this young, funny, smart, good looking little s--- all the fast guys want to talk to. He only seems to offer childlike simplistic feedback?” (Of course, he chose simple feedback perfectly matched to my novice skill and retention level.) I immediately hate him for his youth, humor, intelligence and good looks.

At my first race weekend... "Oh its that hot s--- instructor Josh again... Wow... The other instructors really love this guy. They talk about how fast & talented he is and guffaw at his jokes...” However, he fails to feign interest in my clueless driving theories as quickly as other instructors, so he stays on my s--- list.
When spot-on feedback is given all through the event illustrating a depth and mastery of racing well beyond his years, we shift to only half-hating his youth, humor, intelligence and good looks.

At the 2nd or 3rd race weekend... "Gee, Josh gave hilarious radio feedback and kept improving my driving.” He is upgraded to only a mildly resented young, funny, wise, good-looking little s---, on the spot.

At the 5th race weekend we arrive full circle... "Yet again, entertaining and illuminating feedback from a young, funny, smart, brilliant driver/instructor who can only be admired."

Of course the truth was Josh didn't change one iota as a person or instructor from the first time we met. I was lucky to spend enough time learning from and observing him to enjoy, first hand, just a fraction of his creative talent and willingness to help. I'm still in awe of it and him. You didn’t have to know him well to love the guy.

At Lime Rock this past October it was business as usual. Josh was simply Josh. "Great seeing him... Great rain feedback… Josh hilariously narrates His own "play-by-play" from the cockpit and wins the Memorial. Woof!" Now that's multi-tasking!

The more time you spent around him the more you saw what a unique and extraordinarily gifted human he was.

Aren't we lucky to have known someone as special as Josh, who now gives us the collective experience of carrying him forward in our hearts and minds.

Last edited by dalyduo; 03-08-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-08-2006
somewhere out there

I think the measure of his impact is that I never once met the guy, but I knew who he was, and when word reached the Autosport offices in sunny Englandshire, my mind went blank.

Lot of names here I havent heard in years, and its sad I came back into Skip Barber orbit under these circumstances.

Be strong guys.

Ross Stonefeld
Old 03-08-2006

As an outsider to the race world I never understood, and still don’t, all of the things that Josh would do in car. My memories of him at the track come from my trips to Lime Rock and flagging while he was in high school and college.

I have many more memories of Josh outside the track. Meeting Josh as a 11 year old was just as many of you have described it in this tread. He always had that same crassness and confidence about him. However, his kindness would always soften you up just enough to stick around to see what he would get him self into next.

I can remember watching endless hour of home videos at Josh’s house is Plymouth. One of my favorites was one that Andy, his father, filmed of his first driving experience. Andy had taken his son to a dirt road, turned over the keys and turned on the video camera. What ensued could only be considered more of a lesion on how to laugh than how to drive. Periodically throughout the video you would hear a loud “clunk”, which Josh would always joyfully point out was Andy’s head bouncing off of the roof of that old disgraceful blue/rust colored Toyota truck he drove. Andy would then scream out; “Jesus Christ slow the F@#$ down before I rip that foot off the accelerator and stick it up your ...” Josh never slowed down.

Josh was willing to do something that many of us are not, that is, he was willing to continually live outside of his comfort zone. In fact, I don’t even know that he had a comfort zone. While many of us are all to willing to live within the comforts of our everyday lives, Josh was never afraid to push the envelope and try something new, move somewhere different or become friends with people previously unknown.

Rest in peace little buddy.

Mac

Last edited by remembering; 03-08-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2006

I never will forget the very first time I met Josh, we were at limerock during a 355-360 challenge race. He was asked by one of our clients
to give his 360 a "quick" check to see what he thought of the car.

I remeber saying to myself " does this kid even have a
legit drivers license ?" within (2) laps he had set the fastest time of the weekend by nearly a second ! ! talking on the radio the whole time ! !

We were friends from that point on, racing at tracks all over the country, and had a blast ! always, made me laugh no matter what was going on ! His personality was contagious ! Made me a better person ..

I will never for get the crazy nights at the "pink taco"
racing lost one of it's most talented drivers ....
I lost one of my greatest friends ...

My heart goes out to his family and friends ..

-Tommy Passalacqua-
Old 03-08-2006
Team OC/AD D

I'm posting these letters and pictures on behalf of Nick Longhi and Jeff Sigal:

Quote:
The following message is typical of what I have been receiving non-stop since last Sunday evening. My phone has not stopped ringing, and I have been glued to my computer answering email. The response to Josh's death is just stunning. It's as though all at once, we suddenly realized who we had in our lives.

The message is from Josh's friend and GoGP associate Jeff Segal, a Rolex-GrandAm Maserati GT and BMW GAC driver. Mark Raffauf, whom Jeff refers to, is the GrandAm race director and Daytona Prototype project leader. He is in charge of everything at a race like the Daytona 24. Let's just say that most young drivers trying to make it are just a bit intimidated by him.

Josh didn't smoke by the way, it was just part of his nighttime persona, that had to be experienced. There are many entertaining stories that will no doubt make the rounds, when only adults are present.

Nick Longhi
-------

Quote:
Man, I just can't imagine the future without this guy.  I'm used to 2 or 3 calls a day, no less than a dozen text messages throughout the day, the characteristic "Orange Whip" text at 2AM only because he knew I was asleep and would be pissed the next day...  He left me a voicemail at 3:30 AM the night before this ordeal-- typical Rehm.

I don't want to think about GoGP and all the jokes and fun that surround it without it's critical element.  Things are certainly different now.  My text message bill will no longer be unreasonably large, my drunken & female escapades will no longer be met with criticism and laughs the next day, and most of all, we have all lost someone that you could count on for a laugh at any moment, no matter how badly things were going for him.  Who else has the balls to go up to Mark Raffauf and say "Hey, Big Tuna, what's up?"...  The shit this guy did in the short time I knew him makes me want to laugh, cringe, and almost cry all at the same time.

I keep thinking, like you, that someone is going to call and say that it isn't true.  It just seems too unbelievable.  Too strange...

Jeff

Name:	n6911109_30041696_3865.jpg
Views:	1321
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1017

Name:	n6911109_30062267_5726.jpg
Views:	1330
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1018

Name:	007 boxers_loafers.jpg
Views:	1351
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1019
Old 03-08-2006

While I honestly feel the above picture should be the final post and our lasting memory of Josh, I feel compelled to add my stories.

I had known Josh by name and reputation for a few years through the Skippy family, but didn't get a chance to really know him until the past 6 months. Once I opened the floodgates though, it really only took about a day to see how he rolled. His enthusiasm for life was intoxicating. He had me sold on the Detroit Coffee philosophy within 5 minutes of telling me the name of the company.

After we were reaquainted at work 6 months ago, he hung out in San Francisco with me for a day before heading back east. Since then we'd been in touch every few hours.....

Full transcript from a January call:
Me : "What's up man?"
Josh (with full conviction) : "Morley. I'm driving to Sundance. Get out here."
Me (with full confusion) : "How far is that?"
Josh: "I dunno, like 12 hours. Get in your car. You'll be here tonight."
Me: " *pause* ('is this guy crazy') *pause* I'll look for a flight."
Josh: "cool. call me." *click*

I cannot be more thankful that I decided to go to Sundance. I couldn't help it, Joshs' spontinaety and enthusiasm were contagious. The first night at Sundance was legendary. We dressed in typical Detroit Coffee nightlife attire. Josh in baby-blue cords, double polos(both collars popped of course) and white leather loafers. I went for a more conservative striped sweater but set it off by wearing amber Blu-blocker sunglasses inside the dark club all night. We owned that place and I am now fully convinced that if you carry cheesy with enough confidence, it becomes cool. When we tired of one group of ladies we moved on to another and they welcomed us with open arms. Legendary.

Josh and I had some big ideas that were quickly developing into plans. He was always near the front of my mind. In fact during his final hour, I was across the country in Washington filming footage in my Detorit Coffee T-Shirt. Tommy Fogarty and I were doing some serious lumberjacking and bonfiring and I knew that Josh would appreciate its radness. So we got the video camera out and started shooting. I will post some screen captures and even a link to the video if I can figure that out, just so everyone can enjoy the radness that Josh would have liked so much.

He was electric. As Cote said before, his smart-ass smirk said it all, but he'd tell you anyway. As soon as I got to know him I knew I had a friend for life, and I did, I just thought it would be longer than 6 months. Lock it up Josh, lock it up!

Jon Morley
Old 03-09-2006
Team OC/AD D

FYI, there are many comments about Josh from his friends on his website. Make sure you click on 'Show Comments'.

http://www.joshrehm.com/

Last edited by sydude; 03-09-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2006

The Rehm family is creating a fund in Josh's name to benefit the Plymouth North High School Robotics team, which Josh was an integral member of in high school.

So, in lieu of flowers or food, which there is an overwhelming amount of at the Rehm house, Josh's family is asking that people make a donation to the fund. Details will follow shortly.

NL
Old 03-09-2006
Tim

I knew Josh mostly as a teenager through my relatives (http://www.joshrehm.com/) but am glad to see all the friends and experiences he has had since. These pictures are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-09-2006
administrationistperson

Been looking through video and stills, don't have much but here are a few clips from Tremblant last summer 2:46

Name:	mt2005meeting.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1022  

Last edited by cdh; 03-11-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2006

Pictures

Some pictures from the past year...

Name:	Tab.jpg
Views:	1092
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1026   Click image for larger version

Name:	montreal.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1027   Click image for larger version

Name:	SwissAlps.jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zurich.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1029  

Name:	Tours.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1030   Click image for larger version

Name:	France.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct05.jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1032  

Last edited by khornaman; 03-09-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Bookmark This Thread