Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 12-01-2013
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Hello out there? (edit: A discussion on the current state of affairs at SkippyForums)

To whomever I haven't said this elsewhere: Happy Thanksgiving.

Remember, it's cold and dark here until April. Stay in touch!

[Front page edit: discussions on the current state of affairs at TJR SkippyForums follow, e.g. 'where the hell is everybody?']
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Last edited by sydude; 01-11-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2013
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Re: Hello out there?

I can't believe no one sent you a Happy Thanksgiving back.. Maybe it's because there's no one left here?

Well I send you a big belated Happy Turkey Day. Hope you had a great one!
Old 12-05-2013
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

And another belated Happy Turkey Day.

Not to hijack the thread (but who's left to complain????), Sy, where did our members drift off to ? It can't all be Facebooks fault, can it ?

Chris Brassard made several pitches this summer at Drivers Meetings to let the new folks know about the site, and to hopefully bring back the crowd. Sadly, it's not working

Viz
Old 12-06-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Not Facebook! PLEASEEE.
I mentioned at both my 3-day and the 2-day. Seems like folks drop in here to get up-to-speed (STS) for a course and depart?
I for one will continue to monitor and post as warranted.
Cheers - Jim
Old 12-06-2013
Team OC/AD D

I think that it's down to two things:

1) A steady deterioration in Skippy's general business as well as product quality, which I believe has reflected in a steady deterioration in number of race seats sold, the number of customers, as well as the number of races each customer does at Skippy during their skippy life. Fewer customers with less loyalty = less camaraderie and less forum interaction.

2) Skippy ownership/upper management's viewpoints and policies regarding this forum as well as general customer retention/loyalty. Aaron & George's administration and policies drove hardcore/long-time supporters of SBRS away in droves (including myself), and Michael's tenure has been ineffectual in making amends and/or improvements. I used to be one of the biggest proponents and supporters of SBRS - not tooting my own horn, but I used to bring in a LOT of new racers every year, and I think I had a hand in keeping many racers in the program longer than they would have normally. And I wasn't the only one doing that, far from it. Speaking for myself at least, their arrogance and lack of any appreciation made me just not care anymore.
Old 12-06-2013
Team OC/AD D

And no, I don't believe that facebook has anything to do with it. Dougie may argue otherwise.
Old 12-07-2013
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude View Post
I think that it's down to two things:

1) A steady deterioration in Skippy's general business as well as product quality, which I believe has reflected in a steady deterioration in number of race seats sold, the number of customers, as well as the number of races each customer does at Skippy during their skippy life. Fewer customers with less loyalty = less camaraderie and less forum interaction.

2) Skippy ownership/upper management's viewpoints and policies regarding this forum as well as general customer retention/loyalty. Aaron & George's administration and policies drove hardcore/long-time supporters of SBRS away in droves (including myself), and Michael's tenure has been ineffectual in making amends and/or improvements. I used to be one of the biggest proponents and supporters of SBRS - not tooting my own horn, but I used to bring in a LOT of new racers every year, and I think I had a hand in keeping many racers in the program longer than they would have normally. And I wasn't the only one doing that, far from it. Speaking for myself at least, their arrogance and lack of any appreciation made me just not care anymore.
We (the old guard) were part of a fantastically large and interesting lump in the timeline - post-90's, lots of fun people were flush and the SBRS was very busy. Four regional championships, a National, a Masters, the Pro Series, the house was rockin', race weekends always sold out, it was amazing. The co began to have management problems, the economy started to really suck, Sid died, several very key people were axed, one could say the series lost part of its heart, it was struggling. The driver count dropped, the mood changed drastically and as can be expected many went on the higher forms of racing.

Back in 2002-4, our "core" of racers were so into the series that we created this place, we needed a place to talk about our new favorite subject, we kept it active and interesting. We talked about everything, not just the series, we posted pics and vids, wrote race reports, shared stories, had a fantasy F1 league, etc because we flippin' loved it. I haven't seen anything close to that in the pipeline since.

Now, with that in mind, even with such an active series this place was never really that big. We had what, 30 regular posters at the peak? Maybe a few more but not many. And the hard core posters were but a handful (I acct for 5,500 posts, DD, Sy and a couple more make up a sizable chunk of the total activity). So this was always a house of cards - a few jinks in the flow and it falls down. It didn't have enough momentum and participation even at the peak to sustain itself with these changes. That is how I see it, without DD, Sy, myself, and the other hardcore users starting new threads, the place died. Why didn't the racers who kept racing post anything? I have no idea, but they didn't. Maybe some of them could tell us? Viz, Chris, Jimmy, Pat, what happened? I stopped posting because I stopped racing.

Quote:
And no, I don't believe that facebook has anything to do with it. Dougie may argue otherwise.
To continue...besides stopping racing I found most of the friends I raced with, and the real activity, were on Facebook, so I must say BS, it is most definitely a factor. Not to say this place isn't needed, it is if there is real interest, but to say FB is inconsequential is, to go back 10 years....kooky talk

I'd love to see this thread continue and get feedback from others, I imagine others will agree with my points, and I def think it is worth keeping this place going, if possible.

CDH
Old 12-07-2013
Diesel Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
.... Why didn't the racers who kept racing post anything? I have no idea, but they didn't. Maybe some of them could tell us? Viz, Chris, Jimmy, Pat, what happened? I stopped posting because I stopped racing.

Well, speaking for myself, I'm guilty as sin for not posting new threads. My interest in the site didn't wane, but not seeing hardly anyone on, and few new posts, I guess I figured there wasn't enough interest from the masses to warrant the effort. On the other hand, if I (and others) would exercise our keyboards here more frequently, I think we could, in time, breath some new life into it.
Quote:
To continue...besides stopping racing I found most of the friends I raced with, and the real activity, were on Facebook, so I must say BS, it is most definitely a factor. Not to say this place isn't needed, it is if there is real interest, but to say FB is inconsequential is, to go back 10 years....kooky talk

I'd love to see this thread continue and get feedback from others, I imagine others will agree with my points, and I def think it is worth keeping this place going, if possible.
Well, in my case, and I'm in the minority, in fact, I'm probably almost alone here (worldwide), but I just don't bother with Facebook. I have regular communications with those I know and care about, and I have little interest in much of the sidebar banter and at times trivial stuff (to me) many out in FB land feel there is need to talk about. Again, this is just me. Racing wise, and racing community wise, I'd rather be here.

So, now that got off my soapbox, I'll get back to doing some regular posting. Let's hope we can get folks to read them.

Viz
Old 12-12-2013
administrationistperson

Videos Re: Hello out there?

Quote:
This is but one of many SBRS posts you see on FB, that is where the most activity is, like it or not. This is a pretty cool vid. "Back in the day" this kind of thing was common here - not now, hello FB
Old 12-13-2013
Team OC/AD D

Was that video made for and posted by SBRS? I'm on their FB page now, and I see no main posts on their page started by anyone other than SBRS itself. There is a 'recent posts by others' section - is that the only way new posts by individuals show up on the SBRS FB page?
Old 12-13-2013
administrationistperson

Quote:
Was that video made for and posted by SBRS? I'm on their FB page now, and I see no main posts on their page started by anyone other than SBRS itself. There is a 'recent posts by others' section - is that the only way new posts by individuals show up on the SBRS FB page?
No, done and posted by the racer who has that YT channel. That's the point, it isn't what SB posts on FB (although there is something every day, several a day at times, usually promos), it is the racers and instructors that post...
Old 12-13-2013
Team OC/AD D

Well then that's that - I guess FB is what people want and we're no longer relevant. Someone come up with a good new idea/use/plan (not SBRS related) for this forum, or I'm shutting it down. Frankly it's embarrassing.
Old 12-14-2013

AHHHH!!! Not Face Book.

I may be accused of being a Troglodyte, but have taken every effort to avoid that scene.
The entire look-at-me, "selfie" approach may be cool for some, but I enjoy a conversation, something this forum has afforded. A place to ask a question and get responses that are more or less seriously thought out - not, "I Like" - or "Me too." that implies agreement - as if it was a poll.

The closest I get is LinkedIn, which is a bit more adult, and at least has a "point." I find this a nice place to drop into, especially for folks as I mentioned previously, that are in need a "focus" as they prep for a 3-Day, or 2-Day, that is "unvarnished" and based from the customer's perspective. I have great respect for the staff and Instructors I have had interface with, but their perspective is from outside the cockpit, not inside. Sure they've been there, and done that, but the varied interaction here is colored form a student/aspiring driver's perspective - unmotivated by selling seats.

There are several sites I frequent that face similar infrequent postings, but always find a useful gem there. For example one that is wholly focused on Independent Rear Suspensions,or the MAKO2 forum are 2 that come to mind. A third was focused on CF and composite construction and folded and was reborn - keeping log-in ids etc.

There I've said my piece. Am I alone? I know that running a forum has its expenses, I started a web page in 1996 and after 2 years of self support - quit it - Never went to the donation process. Would that help? I stand by.

Cheers - Jim

BTW - I am on the road - and in Anchorage AK it is 19F and just got 12" snow - Trying to get out of here to South East Asia for the winter. Meanwhile, I dream of sweating in my new set of racing togs, helmet, at my next 2-day at Sebring and some lapping too. I hope there may be some here to offer advice.
Old 12-14-2013
administrationistperson

I too avoided it, intentionally, for quite a while. Joined one day so I could see some amazing old HS pics a group posted and am glad I did. I have gotten back in touch with friends from the past, people far away that I care deeply about and otherwise would not have reconnected with (almost felt like I was seeing these old friends every day with our FB interaction, pretty remarkable). That is the best aspect of it. There are MANY negatives, but more pros than cons IMO. I am not the arch FB defender, but I am a fan (never thought I would be). To dismiss it entirely with a couple sweeping comments is not very realistic (especially if you haven't even tried it ).

It's obvious this forum is better for a specific topic like SBRS - it's not a river flowing by so fast that after a day topics / threads are hard to find. Here you can post a thread, ask a question and it's easy to find and a discussion can grow, it doesn't get swept away in the FB feed. They are both worthwhile, are very different, have pros and cons. Let's face it, the main gripe here for 9 years has been lack of participation, an old dead horse of a topic. We have never found anything that really changed that so I don't see participation changing any time soon, sorry to say

I hope it survives, but completely understand closing it. Thanks Sy for all the time spent making it work over the years. Trust me I was a lonely poster for many years here, but I and a few others kept posting anyway, trying to keep it going. I suppose I got tired of no replies, very much like

On FB you post and people react, comment, like, etc. and there are so many active users it is very engaging, it is FUN - and there are right and wrong ways to use it. Assume anything you post on FB is public and it wont bite you. As far as motorsports go, there is no better way to stay on top of any aspects of it you want, the available info, photos, videos, comments, etc etc is fantastic.

I'm with you new racers, if I was starting the incredible adventure that is SB, I would DEF want this forum - SO useful, such a great resource, so helpful in feeling part of it...a shame if that were lost...why there isn't activity here among noobs these day is such a mystery...a pity

Old 12-15-2013

Quote:
I'm with you new racers, if I was starting the incredible adventure that is SB, I would DEF want this forum - SO useful, such a great resource, so helpful in feeling part of it...a shame if that were lost...why there isn't activity here among noobs these day is such a mystery...a pity

So what, or how can we (a noobie) encourage others to participate? Approach the sales staff and have them make referrals? Seems appropriate. And a great way to build bridges to the race series. I suppose this may have been tried. If not maybe someone could raise their hand?

I know I said it out loud - but that doesn't mean I would even expect to understand the past/history that may make this approach problematic. I could would engage via email - as I'll be out of the country for the next 5-6 months.
I'll help however I can.

Cheers - JIm
Old 12-16-2013
Team OC/AD D

The sales staff probably wouldn't touch us - SBRS management has pretty much always put a 'no TJR/skippyforums' policy out to its staff, unofficially at least. There have been many reasons why, but the primary was always that they couldn't control the content posted by 'us' or by members, so they boycotted and pressured staff to do the same. But they can completely control the FB page - it's theirs to do with as they wish.
Old 12-19-2013
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Missed this whole thread as I was down at Roebling Road with Jim Pace, Terry Earwood, Dr. Griest and a gaggle of Jim Pace track day folk to run spec miata's for two days. Great opportunity to learn Roebling Road and get back up to speed in a miata. Many hours of track time each day to the point of pleasant exhaustion on the second day. Great restaurants and racing stories each night at dinner.

Sad to see the inevitable drop off of Skippy Forums as it reflects both the shift to FB social media and the contraction of the company.

One group that might be worth pursuing is the masters, grand masters and great grand masters.:-) They actually grouped us this year at most race weekends making it fun to dice with each other again, rather than having 4-8 fearless adolescents humbling us more than our age already does. What we need is to get Gus, Bill Shields, Jim Craige, Chris Brassard, Gerardo and a few more folks posting again about the tracks and upcoming race weekends. As much as we'd like a younger audience, the core users have always been masters and older. I mentioned the site a couple of times at drivers meetings but we need something more dynamic to attract people. A contest or guest writers... Something to re-ignite participation Not sure what that would be but love this virtual clubhouse even if it's time has passed in it's present form. Thanks for keeping it going Sy.

Been spending a lot of time on Car and Driver's web site moderating there but not as much fun as when this place was hopping because this was always more personal and passion specific. Most of us old timers would like to see it go back to it's old glory but that ship has sailed.

Got to move it forward dynamically into some new form or purpose. Let's ask Gerardo... What do you think G?
Old 01-10-2014
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

I Sure Feel foolish about not visiting this site as much as I should. Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa.

The comraderie I had with all of you make it a shame that I let it go. Shame on me! To all of you here "You made me a racer!" The instructors, other students, and even the people I don't know face to face. I was going to take a few classes and "get my car racing bug" out of my system and go my merry way.
Someone (Todd) said I should go to a Skippy Race. I met great people there and felt a part of the group. I felt like a racer!

Then I chanced upon a racing car and had a foolish friend offer to go in with me. As the Skip instructors drifted away(or were let go) I started to go too. But I am still very connected to all of you.
I was so pleased when Pat Daly came to impound at Lime Rock last summer and surprised me with a big grin. I was speechless and pleased that he was there.
We may have moved on a little, but I still have the roots.

Thanks for this site

George Kline
Old 01-10-2014
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Don't be too impressed by Daly. He is indiscriminately nice to everyone. Sounds like you've found your passion just like the rest of us. I'm delighted because that's the heart of what we do. We can teach skills. The passion comes from within.
Enjoy it! to the dark side
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 01-11-2014

Gallery Images: 5

I still lurk around here, but don"t post much because I don't have much to offer, and I haven't been able to get in a car since the first time I discovered how special being in a formula car truly was. I stopped by the SB office at Road Atlanta on Thursday, just to make sure it was ok to come watch the upcoming three-day on the 27-29 of January. Bottom line is: I still like keeping myself involved even if it is not by being on track. Eventually I'll get back into a car, but I am glad to keep up with you guys at least on some level. It really is a great group, and the ONLY forum I visit. Thanks again for your work Sy.
Old 01-11-2014
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Hello out there? (edit: A discussion on the current state of affairs at SkippyFor

Hi all, I'm visiting the site for the first time in forever (sorry). The reason for my absence at least is mainly that I don't race anymore.

As far as practical suggestions, I used to love the F1-fantasy league here, especially people's comments about the races. This site distinguished itself from other race forums in that a) posters here knew what they were talking about driving-wise and b) threads didn't always degenerate into flame wars between opposing camps of fanboys.

This past F1 season was a really boring one, but maybe 2014 will be exciting, what with the new cars and Kimi and Fernando as teammates. I'll be checking in here and hopefully posting as this year's season gets under way. I realize there are other series, but with the disappearance of the Speedchannel, it's harder to follow them.
Old 01-11-2014
Diesel Demon

Re: Hello out there? (edit: A discussion on the current state of affairs at SkippyFor

OK, we've had a bit of activity in this thread lately and for the defenders of Skippyforums (as I read it, that is everyone who posted in the thread), we all need to dig in and help keep the flow going while we try to recruit back former posters, and recruit the newbies again. As Pat did several times this past summer, we need to keep reminding folks that Skippyforums is here. A mention of it, as frequently as the Mechanics Fund announcements, would at the very least keep it out there for folks to "remember".

Viz
Old 01-12-2014

Cake Re: Hello out there? (edit: A discussion on the current state of affairs at SkippyFor

If it weren't for TJR, this post wouldn't have been possible because he is one of the last people to not have a Facebook account...
Old 01-12-2014
Grand Master

George, you are one of the poster boys for taking the racing ball and running with it. So great to see you at LRP this summer kicking ass in your wonderfully prepared car. The tires were worn out and it was steaming water like a tea kettle as it should have been after the good job you'd done holding it at it's limit around Lime Rock.

Keep up the good work, keep showing up around here and see you soon!

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
I Sure Feel foolish about not visiting this site as much as I should. Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa.

The comraderie I had with all of you make it a shame that I let it go. Shame on me! To all of you here "You made me a racer!" The instructors, other students, and even the people I don't know face to face. I was going to take a few classes and "get my car racing bug" out of my system and go my merry way.
Someone (Todd) said I should go to a Skippy Race. I met great people there and felt a part of the group. I felt like a racer!

Then I chanced upon a racing car and had a foolish friend offer to go in with me. As the Skip instructors drifted away(or were let go) I started to go too. But I am still very connected to all of you.
I was so pleased when Pat Daly came to impound at Lime Rock last summer and surprised me with a big grin. I was speechless and pleased that he was there.
We may have moved on a little, but I still have the roots.

Thanks for this site

George Kline
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5726.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	4955  
Old 01-12-2014
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman View Post
OK, we've had a bit of activity in this thread lately and for the defenders of Skippyforums (as I read it, that is everyone who posted in the thread), we all need to dig in and help keep the flow going while we try to recruit back former posters, and recruit the newbies again. As Pat did several times this past summer, we need to keep reminding folks that Skippyforums is here. A mention of it, as frequently as the Mechanics Fund announcements, would at the very least keep it out there for folks to "remember".

Viz
Let me know if it happens....my 5500+ posts and calls for action and pleas for activity fell on deaf ears...hope it works
Old 01-12-2014
Diesel Demon

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why there is a lack of activity. Putting Facebook aside for the moment, I am involved in a lot of other website forums (Corvette forums, GarageJournal, Pellet Stoves, etc, you name it, I've got a forum to read regarding my different interests.

I know in those 3 specific ones, there's been no discernible drop in activity. In fact, I think they have been busier than ever of late. That would seem to indicate, to me, that folks still want special interest group/forums/websites. The often asked question then about Skippyforums still has the answer eluding us. And, you're correct Doug, even in its "heyday", before the onslaught of social media, there wasn't a HUGE amount of activity, but we certainly had enough going that kept my interest up as well as the core group.

We need stuff on the website that isn't sitting on every other website, dangle the old carrot so to speak.

Viz
Old 01-13-2014
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:

This is but one of many SBRS posts you see on FB, that is where the most activity is, like it or not. This is a pretty cool vid. "Back in the day" this kind of thing was common here - not now, hello FB
nice video - i dont recognize ANY of the drivers which is crazy..

it is also not a recap - its something like a end of season promo ?

i am down for one SB race in summer 2014 - thinking mid ohio since i love that track and grand am isnt going there this year.
Old 01-14-2014
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post

Missed this whole thread as I was down at Roebling Road with Jim Pace…

….Most of us old timers would like to see it go back to it's old glory but that ship has sailed.

Got to move it forward dynamically into some new form or purpose. Let's ask Gerardo... What do you think G?
Pat,

I don't think Skippy Forums needs a new form or purpose. What it needs is daily content. Engaging (track maps, track data, hotel/restaurant recommendations for your next race weekend, insider info, etc) and Entertaining (race reports, stick poking, fun videos, etc).

It's all of us bringing content that's fun and engaging EVERY DAY. Gradually, people who visit will want to come back to see what will entertain them if they pop in. Again, let me emphasis: There should be something new every day, at least one thing.

I'll give two examples.

SkipBarber.com circa 1998 to 2002
More than a decade ago, skipbarber.com was my home page for my computer browser. Why? At the time, the lead marketing guys, Jim Bowie, Jim Moore, and George Tamayo made it a priority to post a news article on the home page every day. In fact, the News section dominated the space on the homepage, with less space devoted to promoting Skip Barber products. Some news items were original content by SBRS, while others were repostings of press releases by drivers, teams, and other news sites. Customers got to read about themselves, alumni, and the sport they love at higher levels.

The key was to post at least one new item every day. And it worked. It remained my homepage and go-to news source until the major management change at SBRS in 2001. News was shrunk, and eventually removed. Why would I come back?

Matt McMurry
I'm biased on this one, Matt's my client. But I advocate what his father Chris has done with his FaceBook page. Matt is only 16 years old and has three seasons of car racing under his belt, the latest in USF2000. He has more "likes" (53,000+) than most IndyCar drivers (Castroneves: 24,538, Power: 8,453, Hinch: 6,966). Chris takes care to make sure Matt's FaceBook page has something new (and entertaining) every single day. He follows that up with targeted ads around the web to get new viewers. I have no idea what his spend is on the ads, but even without that, the "new cool content every day" strategy is working for them. They were once contacted by a major manufacturer's motorsports marketing guy to ask how Matt was getting so many likes!

Recommendation - New Content Every Day
There is no single magic bullet, but I believe if we all pitch in and post something new every day, retention will increase. Take five minutes (okay, I gotta look in the mirror and tell that guy to get with it) and share something you would want to talk about in person.

Keep the ideas flowing. It's a start.

Before any of you think of reasons why this might not work, spend those same five minutes and write something you think we'd all enjoy reading. Then do it again tomorrow. Five minutes.

Talk about how you'd prepare for the next race weekend. Tell us what you think about the unified Tudor series. Tell us what you think of Mark Blundell's comments about pay drivers in F1.

In time, our site can flourish.

Have fun!

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 01-14-2014
Grand Master

We'll look forward to your posts!

EVERY DAY!!!

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Pat,

I don't think Skippy Forums needs a new form or purpose. What it needs is daily content. Engaging (track maps, track data, hotel/restaurant recommendations for your next race weekend, insider info, etc) and Entertaining (race reports, stick poking, fun videos, etc).

It's all of us bringing content that's fun and engaging EVERY DAY. Gradually, people who visit will want to come back to see what will entertain them if they pop in. Again, let me emphasis: There should be something new every day, at least one thing.

I'll give two examples.

SkipBarber.com circa 1998 to 2002
More than a decade ago, skipbarber.com was my home page for my computer browser. Why? At the time, the lead marketing guys, Jim Bowie, Jim Moore, and George Tamayo made it a priority to post a news article on the home page every day. In fact, the News section dominated the space on the homepage, with less space devoted to promoting Skip Barber products. Some news items were original content by SBRS, while others were repostings of press releases by drivers, teams, and other news sites. Customers got to read about themselves, alumni, and the sport they love at higher levels.

The key was to post at least one new item every day. And it worked. It remained my homepage and go-to news source until the major management change at SBRS in 2001. News was shrunk, and eventually removed. Why would I come back?

Matt McMurry
I'm biased on this one, Matt's my client. But I advocate what his father Chris has done with his FaceBook page. Matt is only 16 years old and has three seasons of car racing under his belt, the latest in USF2000. He has more "likes" (53,000+) than most IndyCar drivers (Castroneves: 24,538, Power: 8,453, Hinch: 6,966). Chris takes care to make sure Matt's FaceBook page has something new (and entertaining) every single day. He follows that up with targeted ads around the web to get new viewers. I have no idea what his spend is on the ads, but even without that, the "new cool content every day" strategy is working for them. They were once contacted by a major manufacturer's motorsports marketing guy to ask how Matt was getting so many likes!

Recommendation - New Content Every Day
There is no single magic bullet, but I believe if we all pitch in and post something new every day, retention will increase. Take five minutes (okay, I gotta look in the mirror and tell that guy to get with it) and share something you would want to talk about in person.

Keep the ideas flowing. It's a start.

Before any of you think of reasons why this might not work, spend those same five minutes and write something you think we'd all enjoy reading. Then do it again tomorrow. Five minutes.

Talk about how you'd prepare for the next race weekend. Tell us what you think about the unified Tudor series. Tell us what you think of Mark Blundell's comments about pay drivers in F1.

In time, our site can flourish.

Have fun!
Old 01-15-2014
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
We'll look forward to your posts!

EVERY DAY!!!

:-)
Old 01-15-2014

I would die to see some onboard race footage, compilations, and track data!
Old 01-15-2014
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Perfection View Post
I would die to see some onboard race footage, compilations, and track data!
Have you browsed the videos here? Some good ones of races, laps, fun stuff...

I have SBRS stuff on my YouTube channel you might like also...
Old 01-15-2014
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Quote:
You guys crack me up!

Here's a post for everyone racing at Homestead this weekend.
http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...0708#post50708

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 01-16-2014

[QUOTE=cdh;50706]
Have you browsed the videos here? Some good ones of races, laps, fun stuff...

I have SBRS stuff on my YouTube channel you might like also...
Wow. Had no idea about the youtube channel. Don't I feel silly! Another reason to keep up with this place! Thanks.
Old 01-17-2014
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Perfection View Post
Wow. Had no idea about the youtube channel. Don't I feel silly! Another reason to keep up with this place! Thanks.
There are tons of SBRS vids on YT
Old 01-17-2014
administrationistperson

this thread is going all over the place, but at least there is activity. Back to the Facebook topic - just this morning Watts, Stevie D and SB have posted news, pics, etc of the Homestead opener...FB is most def a factor in what is happening here.
Old 01-22-2014

Gallery Images: 8

Hey guys long time no post....you all are make excellent points. My main reasons for not being active on TJR Is life got busier and I only have limited time to play. There has been low valuable content for me and decreasing participation causing the same one or two people to post on everything . No offense meant but it got real stale.

Change the name back to team juicy racing and don't worry what Corporate thinks and you may get the vibe going again.

Miss you guys....come back out to the track and race with us. Oh and bring me money for the mechanics fund!
Old 01-27-2014

Gallery Images: 8

Well, I still peek in every once in a while to see what is going on. I did go to Laguna Seca over Thanksgiving weekend and do the two day advanced school (for the third time...). Slow learner. Pun or no pun, your choice.
Old 01-27-2014
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer View Post
...There has been low valuable content for me and decreasing participation causing the same one or two people to post on everything . No offense meant but it got real stale
No worries bro, it will never happen again, adios
Old 01-29-2014

Gallery Images: 122

Skippyforums makes the site sound like its only for those who race with SBRS. Many of us used to post, participate and add content, but the feeling I got, was that this site is for SBRS only. Shouldn't have changed the name. For me, TJR was about the people, not SBRS. The site also resembled a propaganda news outlet worthy of Russia at certain times.

As for onboards, check out JP's page I made him. We get 2,300 views per week (real views we never buy views, or likes as most do). Over 200K views and 557 subscribers. Featured on many popular digital magazines, websites etc. Full disclaimer, I have impersonated CDH on most of my videos, channeling his spirit and abilities in place of my dark, soulless, black heart.

JP's page
http://www.youtube.com/user/JimPaceMotorsports/videos

mclaren at road america

russell gee in his 2002 from road america

JP at LeMans (dry but wet and night runs also up)

Don Norby in his XKE from Sebring

Bookmark This Thread