Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 08-21-2014
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Skip Barber Alum Alexander Rossi to replace Chilton at Marussia for Spa

American rookie Alexander Rossi will make his Grand Prix race debut this weekend in Belgium after being drafted in as a late replacement for Max Chilton at Marussia.

The team said Chilton, who has raced for the Banbury-based squad since 2013, was being substituted "while contractual issues are resolved".

Rossi, 22, only joined Marussia as test and reserve driver last month having previously served a similar role at Caterham, contesting four Friday practice sessions over the past three seasons.

"It goes without saying that I am thrilled to be given the opportunity to race in Formula 1 for the first time," Rossi said. "I cannot thank the Marussia F1 Team enough for the faith they are demonstrating in me.

"It's a very big moment for me and there's a lot to prepare in a short space of time, but on the other hand I have felt ready for this for quite a while now.

"It is also exciting to be given this opportunity at such a fantastic and historical circuit as Spa-Francorchamps. I can't wait to drive the MR03 from tomorrow and I hope to reward the team with a solid race weekend."

Team principal John Booth admitted the driver change had not been planned, and said the team is hoping to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

"Although it was not our intention to offer Alexander the possibility to race this season, in light of the circumstances we are pleased to be providing him with the opportunity to make his Grand Prix debut at this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix in Spa-Franchorchamps," Booth said.

"Naturally we hope to resume normal service with respect to our established race driver line-up as soon as possible, but for now we wish Alexander well for the weekend ahead and we look forward to seeing him in action."

Rossi will be the first American to race in F1 since Scott Speed made his final appearance for Toro Rosso at the Nurburgring in July 2007. He will also be the second debutant at Spa this weekend, following Caterham's decision to replace Kamui Kobayashi with three-time Le Mans 24-hour winner Andre Lotterer.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6455.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	5011  

Last edited by dalyduo; 11-10-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-21-2014
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Re: Skip Barber Alum Alexander Rossi to replace Chilton at Marussia for Spa

WoW!

Go Rossi Go!

This is going to be really Special for Alex and for us!

And at the track where Dan Gurney won the Grand Prix in his own car!

The history
Old 08-22-2014
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

I just read this on F1Live.com...it looks like Rossi will have to wait a bit longer:

Max Chilton will race this weekend after Marussia reversed its decision to give his drive to Alexander Rossi at the Belgian Grand Prix.
Rossi took part in FP1 but will hand the car back to Chilton for the rest of the weekend, meaning the American will not make his debut after all. On Friday morning the team formally applied to change its driver nomination back to Chilton for the rest of the weekend.

Spa would have been a great track for Alexander to make his first start. Perhaps he will get his chance at the USGP?
Old 08-22-2014
Grand Master

Here's the official write-up... Funny how Chilton suddenly resolved his conflicts when they announced their replacement driver was locked and loaded. :-)

Friday August 22nd, Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium

Alexander Rossi: #42
Free Practice 1
Position: P20
Best time: 1:57.232
Number of laps: 20
Track Length: 7.004 km
Weather Conditions: Dry

Alexander Rossi had an eventful start to the 2014 Belgian Grand Prix weekend after being called up to race for the Marussia F1 Team.

Alexander joined the Marussia F1 Team as Official Reserve Driver during the Hungarian Grand Prix last month. This weekend he was immediately called upon to race for the team at the famous Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps for his debut Formula 1 start. However, following further developments, it was announced this morning that Max Chilton would resume his role as Race Driver for the weekend, with Alexander taking part in the first Free Practice session.

Despite the business events surrounding him, Alexander took it all within his stride and went straight to work during the Friday morning Free Practice session. Alexander has a great amount of mileage and experience in Caterham F1 Team equipment, but this was his first taste of the Marussia F1 Team MR03 machinery. With many new systems to understand and get used to, Alexander completed a very positive and successful run programme.

Alexander completed 20 solid laps during his debut with the Marussia F1 Team and despite a suspension problem and no DRS he finished the session in P20 with plenty of valuable data for the team ahead of the 2014 Belgian Grand Prix.

Alexander Rossi - “Overall I feel it has been a very positive couple of days. Obviously I am disappointed not to be racing this weekend. I’ve spent my whole life and career working towards competing and I’m ready to race in F1. However, today was a very positive step in my role with Marussia F1 Team. I’m now even more ready to step into a race seat when called upon.

“My role as the Marussia F1 Team Official Reserve Driver means that I will be asked to step up and also step down at times. I’m confident in myself, my abilities and the responsibility to be fully prepared to do what the team needs from me.

“Driving the MR03 in this morning's Free Practice session was extremely positive, despite the small technical challenges which affected the overall pace. It was great to get a session in the car and I'm looking forward to getting back behind the wheel again very soon.”

John Booth, Team Principal - “I have been following Alexander since his early junior formula days and I’m proud to have him in our car and on our team. Alexander acquitted himself incredibly well today to the MR03 and its systems. Despite a few system glitches that held back his overall lap time he had a very good practice session and helped the team prepare for FP2.

“He conducted himself really well today, on and off track. I have huge respect for Alexander and he's done a tremendous job. It's not the first time he’s been in a Formula 1 car and it certainly won’t be his last. That I am sure.”
Old 10-27-2014
Grand Master

Alexander Rossi will not be in the US F1 GP this week as both Marussia and Caterham won't make the journey due to financial constraints.
Old 10-28-2014
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

It's hard to say if Alexander is fortunate (so close to F1, dream career so far) or unfortunate with his luck at Caterham and Marussia. I feel bad for all involved, especially for Bianchi and his family. Everyone is there because they love the sport and found opportunity with these two F1 teams.

Good luck, Alexander! I hope you land again in F1, or maybe in something LMP1 in WEC! Growing opportunities there.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use

Bookmark This Thread