Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 01-17-2010
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Road closed to everyone but YOU!

Received a postcard today pitching this - gee, I wonder who sold them a list with my marketing info

Robinhood Rally

It's for a reality TV show, racing the clock on famous stretches of US roads, closed to the public, what could possibly go wrong? This is about the max length I can post these days, more below...
Old 01-17-2010
administrationistperson

Re: Road closed to everyone but YOU!

I give up trying to post more than a sentence, crappy server and an old browser =
Old 01-17-2010
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Got this on Fri. too. IMHO pretty much no different than "International Star Registry" or "Get your Poetry Published". Do you want to be on a Reality Show bad enough to pay for it?
Old 01-17-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

I received the same notice a few weeks ago. I assume they got our names from one of the racing clubs, series or car magazines. Interesting to know what subscriptions and memberships we have in common. Someone sold the list!
Old 01-17-2010

Yeah, I received a second one just Friday exhorting me to step up and display my driving prowess for the whole nation to see on reality TV. Fortunately, thanks to many, if not most of you guys and gals, I am already keenly aware of my place in the heirarchy. I think we should all kick in $100 bucks and send Bobo.
Old 01-17-2010
Marketing Wonk
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

I've received a couple of these as well. I too would like to know how they got our names since the common thread is Skip Barber and I as the marketing department have not been passing around the database...
Old 01-17-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 14

Auto mag subscription services maybe? Most of them are pretty well known for selling info. Seems some of these guys were the same ones that were trying to raise 40- 50 mil. to build a racetrack in N.H. I believe. Google may be "old school" but it still works..

http://www.robinhoodrally.com/About_Us.html

http://www.focustamworth.org/conway_...sun_8_4_04.htm

http://www.spoke.com/info/pZ0Uam1/StephanCondodemetraky
Old 01-17-2010

There was actually a report about this postcard/race/reality show on the news here in CT last week. All about how it was basically a scam and that the entry fees were ridiculously high and didn't even guarantee you a spot to race.

And the cards have been going out to everyone, everywhere, apparently. We've received two here addressed to my dad (but with serious last name mis-spellings), which is understandable. But my grandfather in PA also received one, and then I think my grandma did, too. They definitely don't subscribe to any car magazines and have never taken a Skippy school.
Old 01-17-2010
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

I received two of the cards, one yesterday, and one several weeks ago. Received an email (no idea how they found me that way) stating they had sold 3/4 of the entries. The cost goes beyond the entry fees. You supply your own car, you prep it for the "races", you take time off work, you fix said car when it needs service, etc. It might be like running a race series. Could be fun, or could be just a forum post. We will see.

Ali, what else did you hear in that news report? I don't want to recommend it to anyone if its not legit...

I would guess they are charging a lot to pay the production cost. Raising funds to pay for a reality show is a long shot no matter who you are. In 2008 there was a valiant effort to produce a documentary/reality show of the National series, but the producers could not raise the funding despite their best efforts, and ceased filming half way through the project.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 01-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Ali, what else did you hear in that news report? I don't want to recommend it to anyone if its not legit...
Here's a link to the news report on the rally:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/statio..._Hartford.html
Old 01-18-2010
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

I smelled scam when I got it. I emailed NBC asking about it. No reply from them.
Old 01-18-2010
All Heart, No Money

I was wondering when TJR would chime in on this. Many other sites have been abuzz over this thing and wondering if it is for real. There is huge skepticism about this event. TJR has been eerily sillent until now making me think you were all in and the Auriemma's and Daly's were going to bum rush the competition.
I guess I will serve as the guinea pig. Yes, too good to be true but also to tempting to pass up. I have sent in my 1,000 and am now scheduled for a Robin Hood Rally interview next Tuesday at the Stamford Marriott (should I wear green tights and put a feather in my cap?). Their post card say's they have picked NBC as the network. Does not say anything about NBC wanting anything to do with them (Kind of like the first girl I asked to the prom).
A friend of mine just finished a pilot for a show he hopes to get onto an HGTV type of network called 'common spaces'. The entire production crew worked for nothing, of course their budget was minimal so it was mostly their time. If this rally makes good on the prizes I'm assuming the entry fee will cover those prizes even if no show materializes. In doing further investigation "Stephan" says he has secured ten 30 min spots. Sounds like an infomercial or something that would air around midnight after re-runs of Law and Order(maybe we can get the tonight show). Most logical place would be the speed channel. They said 100 people would compete. How do you cram a 100 car time trial into a 30 minute segment? Supposedly pro's are not allowed, they go on to say that if your paid to drive a race car you can not play but if you pay to play than your welcome. That leaves some huge talent on tap as Michael and many others on this site can go toe to toe with many a pro.
Sounds like half the world has gotten their post cards, I have recieved two so far. Racer magazine would encompass everyone here and probably not to hard to get lists from just about anywhere that someone could have marginal interest in auto racing. They say they have prescreened and denied over 300 applicants. It sounds like they are looking for people with significant experience so that 1. cars are fast enough that it's actualy interesting to watch on T.V. 2. If someone gets killed, the participant has signed a waiver but family members have not and I can't imagine the location of the following event would allow it to run if such a tragedy occured so one would think they want people who aren't going to do Mach 3 into a tree.
They are making some kind of grading curve for car weight and horsepower. They haven't explained it yet. I figure if the scourge of the SCCA shows up (which I'm hoping) I have a shot of putting something pretty in the driveway. If it's a who's who of SBR than I'll save my tires, brakes and possibly a fender or two and be a spectator.
Old 01-18-2010
Marketing Wonk

We can't say whether it is legitimate or not, but I would be weary of anything that requires you to put up any money just to register, let alone pay that much to participate in something that if it were to make it to TV should generate money for the producers. It seems that NBC has disavowed all knowledge of this "show", and any references to NBC have been pulled from the Robin Hood Rally website.
Old 01-18-2010

The term 'Robin Hood" should be a dead give away to anyone looking for fame and fortune. Greed and or wishful thinking overtakes way too many typically normal thinking people. I thought Loles was in jail?
Old 01-19-2010
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

This event is being promoted/organized by Stephan Condodemetraky who was the initial promoter for "The Club" at Lime Rock Park. He is no longer involved promoting the club. He moved on to Millbrook Ventures / Silo Ridge Resort Community. I've received several E-mails about promotional events he's produced there inviting people to see the Silo Ridge Resort combined with some club track time at LRP. The mailing list of prospects for "The Club" is surely being used to cull possible entries for Silo Ridge and this rally.
Old 01-19-2010
administrationistperson

All of us are on marketing databases pulled from credit card use, mag subscriptions, cable TV programs watched, products purchased, restaurants eaten in, cars bought, etc etc etc. It would be surprising if we WEREN'T on these mailing lists
Old 01-19-2010
Grand Master

Correct... In this case if there is any list that pegs you as a racing enthusiast... You get a card. They looked for hard core first to give the field some legitimacy then open it to the masses so they can say... "From a huge field of applicants we've carefully selected this very competitive group. You want some big bucks fast car guys and some low buck all heart Robin Hoods who can get in there and hopefully snatch a top prize or two. Could be a lot of fun but only three go away with nice cars and everyone else pays for 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
All of us are on marketing databases pulled from credit card use, mag subscriptions, cable TV programs watched, products purchased, restaurants eaten in, cars bought, etc etc etc. It would be surprising if we WEREN'T on these mailing lists
Old 01-19-2010
administrationistperson

Thanks professor
This is supposedly a reality show so I would GUESS they are going to fill spots with oddball reality show demographics - ie the rich elite racer, the greaseball low rent drag racer, the mom of 4 who has a heavy right foot, the young up and comer, the old but wise vintage driver, etc etc etc, fill in the blanks. They need conflict, human interest, empathy, etc. In other words little to do with reality, more to do with "entertainment". Just a guess WTFK?
Old 01-19-2010

I wonder if Stephan Condodemetraky's ears are ringing yet... I recieved my second postcard invite today.

Grady!! For sure let us know how the "interview" goes. I guess if it's legit and you can do what you can to keep the costs down, ie. travel, not breaking anything, the prizes are pretty good for $5K. This Stephan person certainly seems to have piqued the interest of others like myself, even if it may be to see if he is more of a creative business person or more of a "Loles" character. I don't read tabloids, so maybe this curiousity is my fix on that level.. LOL...
Old 01-21-2010
administrationistperson

If you are lucky enough to win the Ferrari (or any prize) don't forget to add in the sales tax on the car. That's about 15 grand here in CT. Grady, where in Stamford are the interviews being done?

I was emailed a flyer saying GPNY is sponsoring this, anyone know if that was legit?
Old 01-21-2010

Quote:
I was emailed a flyer saying GPNY is sponsoring this, anyone know if that was legit?
I got the same E-mail, Doug. Was wondering the same thing, since it said it was from GPNY -- Friends of GPNY.
Old 01-21-2010
All Heart, No Money

Quote:
Grady, where in Stamford are the interviews being done?
Interviews are being done at the Stamford Marriott.
They say to show up 45 min early, park on the roof of the parking garage and bring all your race gear with you.
Just wondering if I'll wake up in a bathtub full of ice and a missing kidney.

No Mention of this 'rally' anywhere on the GPNY website.
Old 01-21-2010

I got the same email as well. I noticed it was from Nat @ GPNY who I usually get the promo emails from. I also got the apology email from Jim at Skip about the the possiblility of 3rd party use of their contact list. I'm sure many here must have recieved the same.
If you search there's ton of talk of this on various forums as already mentioned. I've also read somewhere now that John Fitch is going to be special guest at the cocktail party
The second post on this page is interesting reading.

http://stlbmwcca.org/wwwboard/viewto...p?f=17&p=40251

at least watching this unfold, however it goes, is bringing some spice to an otherwise boring and cold NE winter..

Grady, thanks for keeping us updated. Good luck and have fun!!..
Old 01-22-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady192 View Post
Interviews are being done at the Stamford Marriott.
copy that, I'll wander over with cam and see whats going on what time you arriving?
Quote:
Just wondering if I'll wake up in a bathtub full of ice and a missing kidney.
Howling at that Grad, hilarious
Old 01-22-2010

Quote:
If you are lucky enough to win the Ferrari (or any prize) don't forget to add in the sales tax on the car. That's about 15 grand here in CT.
Actually sales tax is not the issue. It is considered income tax. I would assume $200K large +/- would put most in the top tax bracket. Currently around 39% and climbing. That is $78,000 on $200K.
Old 01-22-2010
administrationistperson

ouch babe......
Old 01-25-2010
All Heart, No Money

Quote:
That is $78,000 on $200K.
If I sold my cars and my boat I'd still be short.
I do have a very good accountant though.
Well I could sell it and buy a Fiero kit look a like.......just shoot me.

Quote:
what time you arriving?
Plan on getting down there around 11:30 to give myself some extra time.
Old 01-27-2010
administrationistperson

You do the interview yet grady? I was going to stop by and check it out, then Daytona job happened so presently sitting in NE Philly airport waiting for JLowe and gang...
Old 01-29-2010
All Heart, No Money

Doug, you lucky dog. Not only will I not be down there this year but have my cousins wedding in VA tomorrow and driving home Sunday so I'll only be able to catch a little bit of the 24 on T.V. Best of wishes to Jim, JP, Tim and Eric. I look forward to seeing them on podium and may the mechanical ghosts of last year stay far away. If you haven't heard Tim's blind date story you must ask him.

Well they gave me a hat and a T-shirt so it must be for real. I was picked to participate, they had a happy hour wed night with many of the participants. Good mix of people, I singled out a couple that I think may have good skills. They have an event set up at GPNY next week that they want everyone at. They plan on running these events in communities that are strugling and hope to bring them a bump in their economy by selling spectator tickets to get people to visit and patronize the local establishments. So I'm thinking Bull Run meets extreme make over.
Well once again, Good Luck to Jim Lowe and the #64 team this weekend!
Jeff.
Old 01-29-2010
Grand Master

Jeff,
How big a group turned up for the initial interview process? What would you guess the turn down ratio was?

Love the way they spin it... You mention selling tickets to the events to boost the local economy... Granted local food and gas establishments might get an uptick of business if the turnout is good but the primary point of selling tickets is to boost their economy.

The grassroots success of Pinks is not lost on anyone doing reality based automotive televsion programming. This is a tough format because it's a lot more complicated than sending cars down drag strips that are easily available across the country and fundamentally the same. We wish them and you good luck! Look forward to your progress reports.

Quote:
Well they gave me a hat and a T-shirt so it must be for real. I was picked to participate, they had a happy hour wed night with many of the participants. Good mix of people, I singled out a couple that I think may have good skills. They have an event set up at GPNY next week that they want everyone at. They plan on running these events in communities that are strugling and hope to bring them a bump in their economy by selling spectator tickets to get people to visit and patronize the local establishments. So I'm thinking Bull Run meets extreme make over.
Well once again, Good Luck to Jim Lowe and the #64 team this weekend!
Jeff.
Old 02-01-2010
All Heart, No Money

They were interviewing Tuesday and Wednesday, not sure but possibly Monday as well. Interviews ran about 20 minutes, with time to re-load the camera's figure about two per hour. Speaking of Pinks, the guy on Pinks who has the square goatee was part of the interview panel which makes me think Speed channel will be the ultimate destination for this show. I'm thinking they filled about half of the 100 spots based on the folks at the cocktail party. They said the people invited to interview had already been thru three or four selection cuts so I'm guessing we met the type and experience they are looking for. As far as the overall ratio I'm not sure. They said they had another 300+ applications to review with about 50 spots left. We signed a disclosure to keep our mouth's shut about the show but they never gave us copies of it. I'm sure we will all be made well aware of it before the first event in May.

I'm already a bit nervous, as far as I can tell I am the only skippy driver in the group. Due to my limited seat time I will be wearing duct tape over my SBR patch on the race suit for the first event. I don't want to give a bad name to a very good organization although I'm hoping my motto stands true. 'Skippy drivers, were better because were supposed to be'.

Last edited by grady192; 02-01-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2010
Grand Master

Interesting and not surprising that a "Pinks" producer is involved. Don't undersell yourself. One of the key drama points of interest in a show like this is the underdog taking it to players with deep pockets. It's in their interest to have guys like you do well. A bumper sticker or patch with your motto "All heart... No money" would probably serve you well in this environment. Besides... You'll have much bigger worries when you win the Ferrari and have to figure out how to pay the taxes!
Old 02-04-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
'Skippy drivers, we're better because we're supposed to be'.
I love it. I am definitely using that one. Awesome. I think Dr. Yarab's dirt track opponents sense just such a sentiment oozing out of his racing suit as he climbs into his late model.
Old 05-09-2010

no updates from anyone?? Looks like they're rollin..

http://robinhoodrally.com/productcar...rticipants.asp
Old 05-09-2010
All Heart, No Money

Yup, it's happening. I've been impressed with the production crew so far. We all went to Pocono for a track day three weeks ago. They had allot of cameras rolling including one in very low flying helicopter, I think I could have jumped to it from my car. A very diverse group of people and cars. I have met some good folks and am looking forward to meeting and getting to know more. Pocono was big fun but also a wake up call for me. There are some pretty good drivers doing this show and after a 2+ year financially imposed layoff from this sport I'm a bit rusty and running an automatic on track sucks like a New Kids on the Block album.
What are the chances I could do a car control clinic but using my car? I guess it's worth a phone call to Lakeville. I installed a Schroth quick fit harness in the car today the E36 leather seats are horrible for keeping you in your place, of course they don't make a harness for the convertible as it does not have the same seatbelt anchor locations as the coupe so I now have a suedo quick fit harness. Well first points event is Berlin, New Hampshire May 22 & 23rd. They may as well of picked Canada, as this place can't be more than 20 minutes from the border.
Old 05-09-2010

It sure doesn't hurt to ask Grady.. heck, you'd think you could get it complimentary for some plugs on camera. What are you running again??
Old 05-11-2010
All Heart, No Money

Complimentary? surely you jest. SB might want me to say I went to Bondurant depending on my results. On the participants page I'm the 5th one down, Jeff - CT with the blue 98' M3 convertible.
Old 05-12-2010
administrationistperson

Very cool, good luck Jeff
Old 05-25-2010
Skippy Girl

Gallery Images: 1

I just got the news that Jeff Poarch was involved in a serious crash during the first event of the Robin Hood Rally. Below is the email I received earlier today. I have not spoken with his brother Scott yet but when I do I will post an update with hospital information for those who wish to send a get well message. Please keep Jeff in your prayers.

Hi Ashlei,
This is Scott, Jeff's brother. He wanted me to email you and tell you to go on the Juicey website and say that he obviously went to the Bondurant driving school. He came off the ventilator this morning and is talking. His head is fine but his lungs, ribs and back are pretty beat up. Several rib fractures and fractures in the spine at the neck and low back. Everything is expected to heal and a full recovery is expected at this point. Let anyone else you know know and keep Jeff in your prayers for a full recovery. You can see a picture of the car here http://www.wmur.com/news/23654865/detail.html#

Take care,
Scott

http://www.wmur.com/news/23654865/detail.html

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
Old 05-25-2010
Grand Master

So sorry to hear this news and so glad the prognosis for recovery is good. We will keep Jeff in our thoughts and prayers and look forward to his account of what happened. Please do keep us informed of his condition going forward.
Thanks Ashley,
Pat
Old 05-26-2010

Wow that's horrible. Get better soon Jeff, our prayers and thoughts are with you.
Old 05-26-2010
Diesel Demon

Jeff, another set of thoughts and prayers for you and for a full and speedy recovery.

Viz
Old 05-26-2010
administrationistperson

Wow, huge wreck, praying for a speedy recovery Jeff
Old 05-26-2010
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Speedy recovery to you Jeff.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 05-26-2010
Skippy Girl

Thumbs up Re: Road closed to everyone but YOU!

I just got off the phone with Jeff's brother Scott, and very good news. Jeff stood up for the first time since the accident today(with help) and said it felt like he was on a boat in rough seas. He still has one chest tube in to drain fluid from his lungs(both had collapsed). A specialist had come in to assess the spinal fractures and said Jeff was a miracle case. All the fractures should heal to normal on their own. Obviously Jeff is in a lot of pain, but the prognosis looks really good. I'm not sure he has seen the pictures of his car so when he gets the news he may take a turn. He remembers everything up to the impact. He was on his last run of the weekend and was in the top ten, but I'll leave the details for him to post. His phone and computer are on their way to him today and he sounds like he is in good enough spirits to post a first person account very soon.

Old 06-10-2010
Skippy Girl

I just got this update via email. I also talked with Jeff last week. He is now back in CT and slowly recovering.

The Robin Hood Rally Racing Series to Air on VERSUS
Amateur Racing Series Debuts Saturday October 2, 2010

DERRY, N.H.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Producers of The Robin Hood Rally today
announced that “The Robin Hood Rally" reality racing TV series will air on
VERSUS, the fastest growing sports cable network in the country. This
original race series in 10 cities kicked off in Berlin, NH last month with
the next race scheduled for June 25th and 26th in Tuxedo, New York.

“We are thrilled that The Robin Hood Rally will air on VERSUS and are
proud to be associated with such a prominent national sports network that
is available in more than 75 million homes”
The Robin Hood Rally Reality TV series will air on VERSUS twice weekly
beginning on Saturday, October 2, 2010 at 1:00 p.m. ET. Encore
presentations will air on Mondays at 5 p.m. ET.

"We are thrilled that The Robin Hood Rally will air on VERSUS and are
proud to be associated with such a prominent national sports network that
is available in more than 75 million homes,” said Stephan Condodemetraky,
President of The Robin Hood Rally.

“We look forward to airing the non-stop action that The Robin Hood Rally
will offer viewers,” said Casey Stone, VERSUS Manager of Acquisitions.

Taping began in February 2010 during the driver interview and selection
process and will continue through the last race in Louisiana in November.

Competitors spend two days racing Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes, Lotuses
and other exotics in each destination under the watchful eye of a camera
crew, who record every move both in and out of the cars as the drivers
compete for prizes in excess of $500,000, including a Ferrari F430, a
Porsche 911, a Corvette Z51 convertible, among others.

About The Robin Hood Rally

Kicking off in May 2010, the Robin Hood Rally gathers 55 amateur racers as
they spend two days completing timed runs on a designated Rally Course in
10 host cities spanning the American landscape. Representing a wide
socio-economic mix limited only by their imagination and raw talent,
racers compete for prizes including a Ferrari F430, a Porsche 911, a
Corvette Z51 convertible and a set of steak knives. 100% of proceeds from
ticket sales are donated back to host cities.

About VERSUS

VERSUS, the fastest growing sports cable network in the country, prides
itself on super-serving passionate sports fans across all platforms
(VERSUS.com, VERSUS on Demand and VERSUS HD). Now in more than 75 million
homes, the network is the cable television home of the National Hockey
League (NHL), IZOD IndyCar Series, Tour de France, World Extreme
Cagefighting (WEC) and Professional Bull Riders (PBR). VERSUS also airs
NASCAR, NBA, UFC, college football and college basketball programming. The
network is home to the best outdoor programming on television and airs
original programs not available anywhere else, including The Daily Line,
Sports Soup and Sports Jobs with Junior Seau. VERSUS, a wholly owned
company of Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ: CMCSA, CMCSK), is distributed via
cable systems and satellite operators throughout the United States.

Contacts
Squeakywheel Promotions
Jackie Saril, 914-393-7043
jackie@squeakywheelpromotions.com
Permalink:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...es%C2%A0to-Air

Old 06-28-2010
Diesel Demon

First and most important, I spoke to Jeff about a week ago. He was headed to Dartmouth for some further medical examinations. He's feeling much better, although still sore and achy. He sounds as upbeat as ever, and gave me more of the gory details leading to his accident. I'm sure when he's up to it he'll post the whole saga. It was good to hear his voice, and most of all, wonderful to know he's on the way to a full recovery !!

This link on a Corvette forum

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...road-race.html

will take you to a link with a video of a Z06 Corvette crashing on the second leg of the Robin Hood Rally this past weekend in Tuxedo NY. What you will see is shocking, not so much that the car crashed, although that in itself is bad enough. What escapes sanity is how spectators and obvious event personnel were so close to disaster themselves. They're lining the sides of the road, ala Targo Florio / Mille Miglia etc in the old, dangerous days of road racing.

Even more alarming, to me, is the lack of safety enforcement (for the same said spectators and personnel) by a town (Tuxedo) known for its rigorous pursuit (figuratively speaking) of speeders. The rally was mainly held on Long Meadow Road (except for the turnaround where the crash was), where I worked for many, many years. I know all too well the course (it's actually a wonderful, semi-desolate road made for driving fun), and how the local police adhere to New York State and local traffic enforcement. I was extrememly surprised when I first learned the town was even permitting this event to be held within its borders, but this was even more alarming.

It appears no one, including the driver, and the folks near or in the tent canopy, were seriously injured but one driver waiting to go on course was taken to a local hosipital for minor injuries

Viz
Old 06-28-2010
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

What a thought provoking enterprise.
Old 06-29-2010
Grand Master

Those guys are sure using up their nine lives quickly. A miracle no one got nailed. Even after repeated viewings it's hard to tell what happened. Looks like the Corvette hits a parked BMW but it happens so fast it's hard to tell. What's also hard to figure out is the context of what we're seeing. No one seems worried that another car is coming so this must be a one car at a time, time trial. Amazing how close spectators are to being in harms way.
Old 06-29-2010

Take a careful look at the BMW, there is someone standing next to it when it gets hit and it appears he may have been hit!

Bookmark This Thread