Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 12-22-2004
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Exclamation 2005 Race Series - Format Changes & Notes from Skip Barber

From Todd Snyder and Rick Roso on the Skippy site:

12/22/2004
Regional Race Series: Schedules for East, Midwest Divisions Released

The dates and venues for the two summer Skip Barber Regional Race Series championships have been announced. The 2005 Eastern Series will be 16 races, held at six different race tracks. The 2005 Midwest championship will be 12 races held at five different circuits. Todd Snyder, the series' managing director, said, ''We really wanted the drivers from both divisions to have access to all the great tracks we race at. I am very proud of our scheduling department for having come up with such a terrific schedule.'

''In 2004 we rolled out a new race group format that has proven to be very popular with our Midwest and East drivers. Two further things the drivers asked for were more variety (i.e., less races at "home base") and more 'same-type' groups to allow for doubling. For 2005 we are going to improve on both of these aspects.

'In the Midwest we have gone to a six-weekend, 12-race series (with drivers 'dropping' one race). In 2004 we had seven scheduled race weekends, but had to drop to six when we lost the new Shenandoah event. Also last year, we did three Road America events, with the finale in September. This year we're doing just two, both on the full course, and the finale has returned to its much-missed traditional date at the beginning of October. For anyone who hasn't experienced driving down Thunder Valley in the fall, you haven't lived!

''In the East, we heard the same thing: ''Less Lime Rock races!'' So for 2005 we have dropped the August LRP date. In return, we have brought back Mont Tremblant (overall the best place ever to go racing and vacationing!). Most everyone knows that we lost our traditional Watkins Glen date to the IRL, but through a lot of hard work from our scheduling department (Thank you Ashley Launey!) and the people at The Glen, we were able to get another date, on Memorial Day weekend! The Eastern finale, which will be at Lime Rock, has been moved back one week, due to NASCAR Busch North cars returning to their traditional October date.

''Regarding 'same-type' groups: One of the more nettlesome aspects with the new group format is that there wasn't always enough of a particular group of drivers to create more than one group, which made it difficult, or less attractive points-wise, to double. We know that time and money are difficult items to obtain, so we appreciate you desiring the savings of doing a double Race Weekend. So to help with this one, we are going to do more 'shared' events between the East and Midwest. Traditionally we have had a "shootout" at Mid-Ohio (which is back to it's traditional Labor Day weekend), but now we're going to 'share' VIR, WG, MT and M-O. This will almost certainly allow for more same-type groups, better racing, and easier doubling. Not to mention that this affirms that Skip Barber races at all the great tracks of North America…''

2005 Skip Barber Eastern Race Series
April 22-24, Virginia International Raceway
May 12-14, Lime Rock Park
May 27-29, Watkins Glen International
July 1-3, Road America
July 14-16, Lime Rock Park
July 29-31, Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant
Sept. 2-4, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Oct. 13-15, Lime Rock Park

2005 Skip Barber Midwest Race Series
April 22-24, Virginia International Raceway
May 27-29, Watkins Glen International
July 1-3, Road America
July 29-31, Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant
Sept. 2-4, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Sept. 30 - Oct. 1-2, Road America

The two winter Skip Barber series -- Southern and Western -- are each nearing their halfway marks. The remaining dates are:

2004-2005 Skip Barber Southern Series
Jan. 14-16, Road Atlanta
Feb. 18-20, Sebring International Raceway 12-Hour Course
March 4-6, Roebling Road
April 1-3, Daytona International 24-Hour Course

2004-2005 Skip Barber Western Series
Jan. 14-16, Road Atlanta
March 11-13, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
April 8-10, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

- Rick Roso & Todd Snyder
Old 12-22-2004
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: 2005 Race Series - Format Changes & Notes from Skip Barber

They listened and made a lot of good decisions. Great tracks, terrific competition, doubles possible and Todd is especially right: one privileged moment is running down to Canada Corner in October with leaves swirling and discs glowing on overcast days.

John
Old 12-28-2004
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

I'm going down to Mr. Chicken. Who's in?

Last edited by sydude; 12-28-2004 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typos.
Old 01-02-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Greist
They listened and made a lot of good decisions. Great tracks, terrific competition, doubles possible and Todd is especially right: one privileged moment is running down to Canada Corner in October with leaves swirling and discs glowing on overcast days.

John
Best decision: Having Tremblant twice on the calendar.
Worst decision: Not having Tremblant three times on the calendar.

John, are you joining me in tripling Tremblant? We'll do the Nationals on the first weekend and we'll double the Regional.
Old 01-03-2005

Wish I could join you at Mt. Tremblant. Going flat on-line through the 1 - 2 - 3 complex in a RT-2000 is one of the memorable moments in racing. Going flat off-line is also memorable - with an abrupt and expensive ending.

I've "negotiated" another Midwest season with the powers that be at home, but will forego Mt. Tremblant in favor of Montana and double VIR and RA to get in my 6 Midwest weekends on only 4 weekends. So, tripling for me would mean doubling in the regional at VIR and RA and adding the Masters. Six races is a lot, but Revere did it a couple times and counting Memorials, I've done 5. Still trying to decide but I sure like the idea of running National Kids and Masters together.

John
Old 01-03-2005
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Quote:
Wish I could join you at Mt. Tremblant. Going flat on-line through the 1 - 2 - 3 complex in a RT-2000 is one of the memorable moments in racing. Going flat off-line is also memorable - with an abrupt and expensive ending.
Geee.....thanks a lot! I can see it now.... I'll be pulling a TFTS and have one of those "Abrupt and expensive" endings
Old 01-04-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwlorentzen
Geee.....thanks a lot! I can see it now.... I'll be pulling a TFTS and have one of those "Abrupt and expensive" endings
There's always a first time. It's inescapable!
Old 01-04-2005

Truth be known, for many of us who perseverate in racing, the first time is the start of a long progression. Each crash should be one-trial learning, but some of us are slow learners.

John
Old 01-04-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwlorentzen
Now I seem to recall that you already HAVE had your abrupt and expensive ending. I think. Did you see the 'little brother' challenge at Lime Rock thread?

See here:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...read.php?t=315
Old 01-05-2005
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Exclamation Re: 2005 Race Series - Format Changes & Notes from Skip Barber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
Now I seem to recall that you already HAVE had your abrupt and expensive ending. I think. Did you see the 'little brother' challenge at Lime Rock thread?

See here:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...read.php?t=315
I did now What can I say, but......... Well I guess I CRASH WELL D'OH!
Old 01-22-2005
GrandMasterB

Gallery Images: 57

I had considered going up north this summer but now I'm not so sure. Can I assume (based on the previous threads) that Mont Tremblant is both a dangerous and expensive place to race? Since I have never raced there is an OTE more than likely?

OLDMAN
Old 01-23-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMAN
I had considered going up north this summer but now I'm not so sure. Can I assume (based on the previous threads) that Mont Tremblant is both a dangerous and expensive place to race? Since I have never raced there is an OTE more than likely?

OLDMAN
Which threads imply that it's dangerous and expensive to race at?

It's certainly not nearly as dangerous as Lime Rock (which you race at all the time), and if you keep your head on and don't go off in turn 1/2/3 you should be able to get through the weekend without any serious crash damage.

Oh yeah, add turn 7 to that, too.

And turns 10 and 11.
Old 01-24-2005

Ah, but to go flat through the 1,2,3 complex at Mt. Tremblant is one of the great experiences in an RT car. More challenging I think than the Kink at Road America. The car will do it flat if you're right on line - if not and you recognize it early enough and lift a little, but not too much, no big deal. Get it wrong, it can be a big deal as several of us know. Maybe the best corner sequence in N. America. Other candidates for that honor?
Old 01-24-2005
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Ah, but to go flat through the 1,2,3 complex at Mt. Tremblant is one of the great experiences in an RT car. More challenging I think than the Kink at Road America.
I remember MHP describing the 1,2,3 at Tremblant; "It's the kind of corner where you find yourself in the car saying, "I'm glad I don't have to that again for another minute and 40 seconds'".

It is a fantastic bit of racetrack. Other candidates? I can't think of any that really compare but there are many tracks I haven't driven. I understand parts of Road Atlanta have similarly high pucker factors, maybe T1 and T17 at Sebring? Many of you will soon be enjoying those great turns. I have a Sebring map I will add the the stuff page shortly.......................

Sadly you have an American Icon to memorialize.........
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	johnny1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	259  

Last edited by cdh; 01-24-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2005
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
I have a good Sebring map I will add the the stuff page shortly.......................
Sebring maps and links added to Stuff Page

Last edited by cdh; 02-02-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Bookmark This Thread