Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 07-15-2011
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

The Car Show on SPEED

So i know there has been threads about Top Gear America etc but i have not seen a thread yet discussing the new show that came out this wed july 13th on speed channel called 'The Car Show" with Adam Carolla and a youtube car guy Matt Farah who i've been following for a long time on his show "The Smokyy Tire". I saw the show and it started off a little slow and you can see that the hosts are still trying to feel e/o out. If the show was only 30 min long i would say it was like top gear and wasn't soo goood but it was an hour long and i have to say, i had a couple of laughs and am kinda looking forward to the next episode. Almost more i can say about Top Gear America.

Anyone else see the premiere?

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/the-car-show/
Old 07-15-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: The Car Show on SPEED

I saw it and Adam Carolla is the first guy with enough of an edge, social awareness and car knowledge to give Jeremy Clarkson a run for his money. Clarkson is better educated and more sophisticated but Carrolla is completely irreverent and outrageous in an America way. (Example: Telling Jimmy Johnson never to correct him on air during a live interview in a way virtually no one else would talk to Johnson). John Sally is a funny personality who doesn't seem to know a lot about cars but adds to the chemistry and the other guys clearly know cars and we'll see about their personalities. It's a parallel universe to Top Gear without saying so. Their 24hrs of Lemons segment was funny if pointless but I think they've got the right idea in making it about the chemistry and opinions of the characters rather than the events. For a first show I'd say fair with potential going forward. Carolla did a cable show with Jimmy Kimmel years ago called "The Man Show" in which they nurtured every politically incorrect male stereotype in a hilarious and outrageous way. This is less outrageous as he is older and more mature but he's dangerous in that way that Clarkson is and none of the American Top Gear guys are.
Old 07-17-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

"Carolla did a cable show with Jimmy Kimmel years ago called "The Man Show" in which they nurtured every politically incorrect male stereotype in a hilarious and outrageous way."

Yeah...but is he funny? Really??

Unlike Top Gear USA, however, I will watch show #2.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 07-20-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Watched the Car Show tonight. Potential there, but they didn't capture it. Didn't care for it. Pretentious leering male buffoonery. And no, Oldred. He's not funny. Really.
Old 07-21-2011
Grand Master

If you know Carolla's work... That's where he's made his living for about 15 years. Many find Clarkson and his band of merry men loutish as well. Not saying the show is a winner but if you don't know Carolla's work you wouldn't know he's actually toned it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Watched the Car Show tonight. Potential there, but they didn't capture it. Didn't care for it. Pretentious leering male buffoonery. And no, Oldred. He's not funny. Really.
Old 07-21-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
If you know Carolla's work... That's where he's made his living for about 15 years. Many find Clarkson and his band of merry men loutish as well. Not saying the show is a winner but if you don't know Carolla's work you wouldn't know he's actually toned it down.
"Work?" The Man Show was possibly innovative for a brief moment in history. The good ones know when it's time to shift gears or do something else. For example, Seinfeld. There is self-deprecating, perceptive, funny loutishness (Larry the Cable Guy), and there is plain old boorishness. It's like the difference between Ozzy or Alice Cooper or even Gene Simmons, and Howard Stern, who wishes he were one of the former. Carolla is not funny. He is not seeing car culture or car guys or fabulous cars like the 458 Italia in a new, humorous way. American popular culture needs to stop tolerating this kind of exploitative juvenile male humor. "Toning down" does not qualify as creativity. Only my opinion, of course.

Last edited by Slowhands; 07-21-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2011
Grand Master

Hmmm, and who might step into the breach and provide that creative, paradigm shifting, humorous vision?
Perhaps we've found Slowhands new career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
"Work?" The Man Show was possibly innovative for a brief moment in history. The good ones know when it's time to shift gears or do something else. For example, Seinfeld. There is self-deprecating, knowing loutishness (Larry the Cable Guy) and there is plain old boorishness. It's like the difference between Ozzy or Alice Cooper or even Gene Simmons, and Howard Stern, who wishes he were one of the former. Carolla is not funny. He is not seeing car culture or car guys or fabulous cars like the 458 Italia in a new, humorous way. American popular culture needs to stop tolerating this kind of exploitative humor. "Toning down" does not qualify as creativity. Only my opinion, of course.
Old 07-21-2011
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

yeah i saw the 2nd epi last night as well and i was very disappointed. The part where the models were learning to drive the viper i thought would of been better. The interview with Dario was pretty good and some info is good in the show but if it keeps up like this, def. gonna prob. stop watching it.
Old 07-30-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Saw my last episode last night.

Carolla - not funny, not outrageous.

Neil - not funny, pretentious.

Farah - most likeable of the bunch.

Salley - on his planet, he's a king. On this one, not so much.

I think I did this with TG USA, but The Car Show moderated by Slonaker trying to keep Lombardi, Earwood and DiIorio in line would be hilarious.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 07-30-2011
Grand Master

yeah but would they pass muster with this tough group of critics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Saw my last episode last night.

Carolla - not funny, not outrageous.

Neil - not funny, pretentious.

Farah - most likeable of the bunch.

Salley - on his planet, he's a king. On this one, not so much.

I think I did this with TG USA, but The Car Show moderated by Slonaker trying to keep Lombardi, Earwood and DiIorio in line would be hilarious.

Bookmark This Thread