Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 07-30-2007
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
What did I do wrong?

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...d=8&linkid=514
Old 07-31-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Re: What did I do wrong?

my read would be something I did all week at Tremblant (much to the continued exasperation of Billy Bob, Dancing Don, pretty much everyone else in the instructor contingent who slipped across the border undetected, and myself), ie hands too quick on turn-in and late and not positive enough on the gas (volume is so low I can't hear the throttle well enough). Fortunately Turns 5 and 11 have quite a different sight picture at the exit than the Uphill. Why I never got it fixed is a question only my analyst can answer.
Old 07-31-2007
Servant of The Man
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Let me preface this by saying that I've got extraordinarily fewer hours in Skippy cars than almost anyone else on this forum, but all of those hours have been at LRP. What happened in that clip looks like something that used to happen all the time to myself and my friends on the gravel rally tracks in Maine.

It looks like you turned in a touch early (although I can hear Bruce in the back of my head saying "Turning early is actually safer at the uphill...") with the effect that you're actually running out of track before you hit the compression and gain grip. Because you need to turn in a much more urgent way, the split second between the front gaining grip and the rear following suit allows the rear to get loose real quick-like.

The specific points on the video that point me to this conclusion are 1)the fact that you had about a foot or so left between your right front wheel and the apex. I got my head torn off by Phil for that one. 2) The car appears to gain grip to the right suddenly in a way that doesn't quite look like the back coming around. It looks like the back comes around as a consequence of the jerk to the right, not that the jerk to the right comes as a consequence of the back jerking to the left.

Once again, I'm not an instructor, nor am I all that terribly experienced in Skippy cars. I just can't help myself...

edit: On subsequent review, I'm going to go with an early turn in and insufficient weight shift to the rear under throttle... The compression may have played a part in avoiding a four wheel slide, but I don't think it was the primary cause. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
Old 07-31-2007
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

You didn't turn too early, you turned too late. Since you had a later turn in and a later line, you had to turn the car harder on your way to the apex. when you arrived at the apex the car was already unsettled, and you might have been a little too patient with the throttle which didn't load the suspension. Also, it looks like you just kept your hands straight once you went over the top of the uphill. Right thing to do yes, but after the car landed you still were straight and just drove off. Steer onto the track before you leave it!
"I felt as though I were driving through a tunnel. The whole circuit became a tunnel...I had reached such a high level of concentration that it was if the car and I had become one. Together we were at the maximum. I was giving the car everything and vise versa." -- Ayrton Senna
Old 07-31-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

I can't really tell exactly what you did wrong without the sound. Maybe you were just too fast!!??
Old 08-11-2007
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Goring
You didn't turn too early, you turned too late. Since you had a later turn in and a later line, you had to turn the car harder on your way to the apex. when you arrived at the apex the car was already unsettled, and you might have been a little too patient with the throttle which didn't load the suspension. Also, it looks like you just kept your hands straight once you went over the top of the uphill. Right thing to do yes, but after the car landed you still were straight and just drove off. Steer onto the track before you leave it!
I agree with slowhands as well on turning the wheel too quickly. It looks like you realize the late entery and try to pinch the car toward the apex just after your initial turn-in.

Before I took another look at it in slow motion, pausing and playing, I thought you may have been late to power or tenative with the throttle.

You were driving so you be the judge

Bookmark This Thread