Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 09-13-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Can there be too much practice at one track?

So I did my 3-day and 2-day at LRP, which means lots of laps there. Until Friday, there are excellent deals on lapping days at the final series visit there in October. I'm on the fence about spending the money, though.

After viewing the video from the two-day, there are definitely places I could improve, on top of just generally pushing it harder. My mindset is very achievement-based though. If this were a timed or competitive practice, I would definitely be more inclined to participate.

I like my chances of qualifying for the IndyCar Academy shootout at Sebring, and want to stay sharp, work my brain and arms, etc, since Jan. 25th is a long time away. For the lapping money, I could do several kart enduros. Maybe if I had a specific learning plan I could maximize the experience also.

Any thoughts?

(I can't quite get the wife to bite on letting me do another 2day at Laguna Seca... even though the cost would be amazingly low.)

As an aside, does anyone at Lime Rock, or around there, do custom seat pours for the RTs? Even if I don't use it in January, I see myself in these cars in the future.

Thx, Ryan
Old 09-13-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: Can there be too much practice at one track?

Hey Ryan,

Great idea about the seat. I've seen 1-2 second improvements from that alone. Call Keith Neer (860-248-5718) to set up the pour, especially if you'll be around for Lime Rock. He can do it on the lapping day for sure.

New tracks offer new challenges but technique is technique. I'm kinda big on the computer car. Lay down some laps on top of the instructor base lap and you can pick up lots of time and lots of things to practice which will be invaluable everywhere. Bottom line is that seat time is seat time and the debriefs steepen the learning curve.

Have fun!!
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 09-13-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Thanks for the seat info. I think getting the seat done alone would be worth attending the lapping day.

I'd like to do the computer car, but it doesn't seem like a very good value. Something like $700 for a 15 minute session... Yes, yes, the knowledge acquired is priceless, etc. But I would rather spend it on a seat and then get working on proper technique.

AS part of the Indycar Academy, they include the computer session when you sign up for a race. I thought I could swing a race, but its just out of reach. (even a "free" program to help disadvantaged racers requires cubic dollars...)

Thanks, and oldred, if you want, can you PM me your name so I can tell Keith who referred me.

-Ryan
Old 09-14-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

No problem Ryan. I had his ok to put his # here. One of our guys does it. Keith will hook you up. Boy does this sound like the sixties.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Bookmark This Thread