Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Old 08-15-2010
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
California 200 Off Road Tragedy

8 Dead in Desert Crash

I understand why people were upset with the driver, but the deaths were not his fault directly. Large crowds, right next to a dangerous part of the track, a lot of partying, only a matter of time at any of these events where spectators can be right next to the racing
Old 08-15-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 14
Re: California 200 Off Road Tragedy

A horrible tragedy and a shame for all those involved and their families..Thats ridiculous for anyone to be upset at the driver. EVERYONE involved knows the risks... A 9 YO would know.. I know most sanctionong bodies ask spectators to stay plenty of a distance away and on the sides of a course, like 200 yards or so.. and not in "target zones". It happens all the time that racers, especially on bikes lose a race or a spot and/or get injured by clipping a spectator and going down when the spectator was too close, or crossing the course or otherwise putting THEMSELVES in harm's way. In Baja and other offroad events many times there's cattle, wildlife, speactators on foot and in vehicles, sometimes running COUNTERRACE on course. More than one racer has lost one of the big Baja races from the very thing, especially on the tighenting corners coming to the checkered flag.
On top of that, another part of offroad racing that started in Baja and has creeped into the other races are the "boobytraps" built by specatators. Not meant to be harmful, just out of enthusiasm, like little kicker jumps. Sometimes built on the top of the crest, but other times built somewhere not so obvious. Combine that with them sometimes being hard to see in the bright sun and desert terrain sometimes they lead to crashes, many times of the huge "yardsale" variety. Often resulting in injuries for racers and spectators....

Just like in any other similar racing like rally type events, there no way organizers can babysit every spectator along all of miles of the course. Just as with so many other areas, people need to be more responsible for their own safety. Sometimes that can be hard to remember, especially in the high adrenaline, big party arena of offroad/rally racing. Lets hope people learn for this and something so horrible doesn't ever happen again and everyone can enjoy the racing just as much but in a safer manner.
Old 08-15-2010

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=914711

here's a post from another forum by someone that was there. 10 feet from the course.. I wonder if that was this particular section, or just a generalization...How terrible... The difference just some reasonable distance could have made..
Old 08-15-2010
administrationistperson

Site forcing joining to view forums, can you copy / paste the story? LOL Thumper name, good one

and I like what you said in your first reply Roger, all true
Old 08-15-2010

no prob Doug.. Will do.. forgot that was in the members only "Town Square" section... "thumper" refers to to the reverberating "thump thump" made by a BIG single pistoned bike like a 610 Husky...

I really hope as horrible as this is for everyone that it doesn't affect racing any more than making people aware and safer with their decisions on how to spectate.. It's dangerous enough for the crews that HAVE to be closeer to the action they they like many times..

Tragedy/Chaos in Lucerne Valley, Ca.

buggies RM 4.5 t the "rockpile"

I have been going there years and every year the crowd gets larger and more stupid.
About 2 minutes prior to the disaster, My bud and I were just discussing the coming tragedy.
20 seconds before the crash, my bud taps me on the shoulder (he has those senses lets just say) and says' "lets get out of here".
Our guy just came through so I hesitated a moment and said ok- lets go.
Just as we get to our bikes we hear the screams behind us (about 15-20 yards away and I turn to see 4 tires in the air, roof side down- (1400 truck).
My bud asks, "what happened". I answer, "people are dead".
My bud runs over quickly, I hesitate as I do in these situations and think about what is happening. I see chaos, the driver stumbling towards me and bodies everywhere.
There are guys trying to tilt the car up to pull out a couple of bodies and I thought my bud was there. I declined to help as this was far beyond any of my abilities.
Then I see my bud, he points to a young pretty blonde girl on the ground, head crushed and says - "She is dead".
With that, I said I am leaving- this is tragedy beyond me.
I have helped many people in my day. Just this year, I saved one dude by pulling him from his crushed toyota (barrelled rolled 7 times in front of me) and helped with a MC rider who crashed behind my house. Sadly- he did not make it and died right there.

This my friends is REAL BAD!
This may kill desert racing in Kali- probably will.
We have had a good time in the last 25 years but this is just getting stupider.
I feel sorry for the promotors as I have helped run checks for them in the past.
I knew this was coming but I expected it would be Mexico (Zoo rd San Felipe)
first.
My heart and prayers go out to the families.
Many were just kids- so sad.

My heart is very sad today.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100815/D9HJUCJ80.html

“There's nothing wrong with being shallow as long as you're insightful about it.”
Dennis Miller

Last edited by cdh; 08-15-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2010
administrationistperson

Thanks Roger, that is a powerful report, such an unecessary tragedy. BTW, I owned a BSA 50T many moons ago, a thumper for sure, why I commented on the forum name

Last edited by cdh; 08-15-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2010

I heard on the hourly radio news that the assessment of the investigators is that the organizers were responsible for crowd safety (though we all know that it's impossible to patrol and control spectators at every section of a course).
Old 08-16-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekychica View Post
I heard on the hourly radio news that the assessment of the investigators is that the organizers were responsible for crowd safety (though we all know that it's impossible to patrol and control spectators at every section of a course).
That could be a first step in banning desert racing, followed by massive lawsuits, then show eco impact studies and poof, it's gone - hope my speculation is wrong. Would be a shame if stupid behavior leads to its demise. I feel terrible for the victims and their loved ones, this was a horrible tragedy. Just don't blame the event, or the driver. NO ONE had to die here, important to remember. I think about the danger I am in shooting video in some of the track spots I choose. I am taking a calculated risk and am constantly looking at oncoming traffic as I shoot. If I were killed or injured doing this, only I would be to blame, you takes your risks and you pays the piper if you lose.

RIP those killed, so sad.

Last edited by cdh; 08-16-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2010
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Just looking at the volume of people and how close they were tells you something bad is coming. I don't think it will be the end of off-road racing but it will force organizers to be more pro-active about crowd control. You can't control every part of a long off-road course but you can post warnings and disclaimers so people can't claim ignorance. Roger's mention of booby traps created by thrill seeker observers is even more diabolical and troubling.

At the Nurburgring they have a sign that says anything that happens to you and your car is on you and if you go out there you agree to that. People die there all the time on motorcycles and in cars. It's been that way for years and people who go there know that.

We are so much more litigious one would think that would be impossible here. but if you set the ground rules up front, post the course and educate people about the dangers it would certainly be possible to reduce the risk.

Part of the problem was the deteriorating crowd mentality. Hundreds, possibly thousands who have been drinking and partying all day is a recipe for disaster without speeding vehicles. Add the lure of speeding trucks and it is amazing it hasn't happened more often. The only reason it's received so much media time is the video that shows how ridiculously close the crowds were. Thankfully the guy with the camera is just far enough away not to view the gory details of this tragedy.
Old 08-16-2010
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

I just heard that the permit they were operating under stated that anyplace the vehicles were within 25ft (I think?) of the crowds they could not be traveling faster than 15mph...

If true the organizers and the quite possibly the driver could be totally screwed.... And it may well be the first step in ending off road racing.
Old 08-16-2010
Grand Master

Or put most of it in Mexico or outside our borders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
I just heard that the permit they were operating under stated that anyplace the vehicles were within 25ft (I think?) of the crowds they could not be traveling faster than 15mph...

If true the organizers and the quite possibly the driver could be totally screwed.... And it may well be the first step in ending off road racing.
Old 08-16-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:

Unfortunately, this thing seems to have gone viral, and worldwide. It made the BBC top 10 viewed news items and was covered by CBS morning news yesterday. They had commentary from a road race sports journalist who is afraid of what Kevin expresses. He stated that Cali is one of the only US states that allows offroad racing, and that this could make it go away there too.

More evidence of very poor decision making by the spectators: it was reported that one of the guys killed had his kids standing next to him. He had the presence of mind to push them out of the way when he saw the truck coming, but he was unable to escape himself. Wonderful that he was able to save his kids, but IMO absolutely stupid parenting to have his kids standing within 10 feet of the path of racing trucks coming over a jump. Why would anyone do that? Maybe he was caught up in the partying too. As Doug says, very sad.
Old 08-16-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Unfortunately, this thing seems to have gone viral, and worldwide. It made the BBC top 10 viewed news items and was covered by CBS morning news yesterday. They had commentary from a road race sports journalist who is afraid of what Kevin expresses. He stated that Cali is one of the only US states that allows offroad racing, and that this could make it go away there too.

More evidence of very poor decision making by the spectators: it was reported that one of the guys killed had his kids standing next to him. He had the presence of mind to push them out of the way when he saw the truck coming, but he was unable to escape himself. Wonderful that he was able to save his kids, but IMO absolutely stupid parenting to have his kids standing within 10 feet of the path of racing trucks coming over a jump. Why would anyone do that? Maybe he was caught up in the partying too. As Doug says, very sad.
Yup and yup - Darwinism at work again

No surprise this went global, I can't recall a worse spectator accident (in recent memory). Motorsport is tied with football (soccer) for worldwide popularity.

Oh yeah, I saw one of those crash shows on TV that featured an off road race in Mexico where spectators added a kicker to a big bump, caused many flipped racers. What dorks
Old 08-16-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:

There will be lawsuits no matter what any rules, permits, releases, tweets, websites, etc said - this is U Sue of A
Old 08-16-2010
administrationistperson

From one article I read on AOL (my emphasis)
"The driver who lost control during an off-road race in the California desert and killed eight people when he crashed his truck into a crowd "had no business" going as fast as he did, a witness said today.

Keith Carty, an off-road race driver, watched the tragic accident at the California 200 truck race this weekend that also injured at least a dozen people. He said the driver took the jump too fast.

"If there's a huge jump coming up and people, lines of people on either side, you have no business doing 80-90 miles an hour through there," he told NBC's "Today" show. "It's the driver's responsibility to make sure that he's driving in a safe manner when there are spectators around."

I think KT is right about who is going to be nailed for this.

NBC TV news video

Roger, you are a desert racer, is their description of driver / rider responsibility typical for these events?
Old 08-16-2010
administrationistperson

I tried friending the driver Brett Sloppy on Facebook, lend some support ya know? But his request box is full, that's good, he'll need all the support he can get, especially in the coming months, this will be forgotten by the media fairly quickly, but it wont go away for him anytime soon...poor guy, cannot imagine

Here is the text from his FB wall - copied directly (some here are not on FB...well one I know ;]), nice to see he's getting a lot of positive support (a couple knuckleheads but almost all good comments)
************************************************** **********************************************
Brett Sloppy Soo incredibly lost and devistated my thoughts and prayers go out to all the familys and friends involved.. Thank you too all my friends for sticking with me even thru these tragic times I love you all

18 people
like this.
    • Mike Galeski Love ya like a brother holmes... keep ur head up... we will all get thru this togetherYesterday at 7:24am
    • Michael Smith Sloppy I maybe 2k miles away but if you need anything I will be there in a heart beat. Sorry to hear about this man and please keep your head up! Glad to hear your alright.Yesterday at 7:29am
    • Adam Filbin sloppy you know we are all here for you. If you need anything let us know. Yesterday at 7:33am
    • Josie Moreno Were praying for you slop and everyone else.. We love you very much..Yesterday at 7:34am
    • Jennifer Michelle Tanner Keep your head up buddy. I know things like this arnt meant to happen, but I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.♥Yesterday at 7:45am
    • Paul Licon Sloppy you have alot of friends that are here for you bro. Don't hesitate to call on any one of us. 760 855 0515Yesterday at 7:45am
    • Erin Weaver Baby... This was the scariest things I have ever seen in my life, I am so happy your ok, I love you with all my heart, I am here now and I will be forever. Love Turtle Yesterday at 8:05am · 1 personJennifer Michelle Tanner likes this.
    • Melanie Abongan I'm so sorry to hear about what happend hun. That is every racers worst nightmare but you have to keep youre head up and know that everything happens for a reason and some things are beyond your control. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers and you know you have friends to call anytime. Yesterday at 8:16am
    • Tj Haley what the fuck happend slop.....what ever it is it dosent sound goodYesterday at 8:25am
    • Tj Haley you ok dawg....if you need anything just askYesterday at 8:32am
    • Ryan Lundy Keep your head up. Everyone is here for youYesterday at 9:26am
    • Sara Bayles Sloppy I am so so sorry to hear about this. My thoughts & prayers are with you.Yesterday at 9:46am
    • Ashley Martin ♥ you sloppy. Were all here for youYesterday at 10:43am
    • Deedee Lambert stay strong sloppy !! hope ur doing ok !! keep ur head up and know all ur close friends and off road friends are here for you!! we all love you!! xoxoxoxYesterday at 11:15am
    • Jacquelyn Miller Keep your head up sloppy ♥ keeping you in my thoughts & prayers. Yesterday at 11:32am
    • Santiago Ernest Picos SAd this had to happen. Let me know if you need anything buddy. Im here for you. Be strong.Yesterday at 11:39am
    • Kyle Redding im sorry man, its so horrible, but we all love you bro remember that! Yesterday at 12:13pm
    • Heather Griggs We all love u very much brett. This was a freak accident that no one could prevent from happening. Stay strong u have so many love ones here by your side. Yesterday at 12:17pm
    • Summer Candioty I'm so sorry to hear what happened snoopy. Derek and I will keep you all in our prayers...Yesterday at 12:33pm
    • Barni Strausbaugh uR a good gUy SLop & this is very unfortunate-- all your friends
      are here for you-hiT uS up anytime bUddy! Yesterday at 12:33pm
    • Casey Colon Sloppy you just have to remember that this was an ACCIDENT! Hang in there buddy! Yesterday at 12:42pm
    • David Hudoba HERE FOR YOU BROTHER Yesterday at 12:47pm
    • Elyse Lindseth Weare all here for you. We love you and tis was an accident. Stay srong Yesterday at 12:47pm
    • Becca Cassady So sorry for you and your family, stay strong Sloppy! my thoughts and prayers are with you al lYesterday at 12:55pm
    • Anna Duran Stay strong sweetie. Love you and you can call me if you need. Miss you and hugs Yesterday at 1:00pm
    • Valerie Turner Aubuchon Brett stay strong... Ignore the media and listen to your friends. This was an accident and not your fault. It could have happen to any of those drivers. Yesterday at 1:10pm
    • Justin Sharpe stay strong bother...hit me up if you need anything Yesterday at 1:33pm
    • Mike Stewart There is nothing you could've done different sloppy. Try not to beat yourself up to much. You know I'm here for you buddy Yesterday at 1:38pm
    • Jen Moore I love you sloppy, were ALL here for you and are going to get through this together. Keep that chin up and know that we support you 110%! Love your little uno Yesterday at 1:45pm
    • Kristopher Kelly Yo Slop dawg, just wanted to let you know Rachel and I are here for you. Stay strong man! Yesterday at 1:52pm
    • Brittany Lade I'm so sorry Sloppy. We're here for you, stay strong we love you Yesterday at 2:00pm
    • Ashley Judah Sloppy I am so glad your ok! I've been praying for you all night, I'm here if you need me! ♥ Yesterday at 2:05pm
    • Stephanie Vacca I'm glad your ok. Your in my prayers. Stay strong ♥ Yesterday at 2:20pm
    • Brittany Pierce My prayers and thoughts are with u and your family, if there is anything I can to to help let me know and try to keep your chin up cuz it was an unfortunate accident and if there was anything you could have done, you would have!! Prayers go out to everyone involve! Yesterday at 3:07pm
    • Nicholas Defilippis my heart gos out to you and if u need anything call me 760 884 9441 Yesterday at 3:17pm
    • Amber Pauley Kuhn Don't even know what to say. Hang in there sloppy! Stay strong.. Easier said than done tho! Yesterday at 4:22pm
    • Myles Trevizo im here for you to dawg...that's the worst thing that could happen...just keep your head up.. 23 hours ago
    • Dereck Norbert Hudoba I sorry for everything that has happened your still the man
      22 hours ago
    • Mike Clark brett, no one but you could know how this feels and i can never imagine the weight you carry. i hope your ok man 22 hours ago
    • Ryan Bonzen We will always be here for you brother, you need anything you let me know. 21 hours ago
    • Jennifer Vanderschaegen I can't even begin to imagine the weight that's on your shoulders or how you feel sloppy but just look at how many people are here NO MATER what happens...we r all here or ya when your ready 21 hours ago
    • Eric Hampton you did nothing wrong buddy stupid how close everyone was when went went threw there in our car nothing you could have done to make things turn out any better or diffrent.... Stay strong friend see you out in the desert soon 19 hours ago
    • Stevi Cook love you sloppy! 18 hours ago
    • Sheila Willis im so sad for everybody... youre a good guy, and i'm thinking of you. 17 hours ago
    • Kristen Heard We all love you so much slop! Were all here for you! ♥ 17 hours ago
    • Rick Pacheco Love You tons sloppy! im sorry to hear about it all.. Im here for ya. 16 hours ago
    • John Moisant remember it was an accident and it was out of your control. You could not have done anything to change it and you can not go back you gotta go forward and live strong for them. Love you bro 14 hours ago
    • Ashley McCluskey We love you Slop 5 hours ago
Old 08-16-2010
Grand Master

It was on the front page of the New York Times today as well and the story was remarkably balanced. They describe the scene as completely desolate with nothing nearby that supports life and no one there except those that want to be there. Because it's a sanctioned event the rules of traffic law do not apply. It is sanctioned as a racing event. That's why the driver isn't charged or arrested. He was exactly where he was supposed to be. It was the spectators who put themselves in harms way.

It's easy to blame the driver but if he's there to race and if the competitors in front of you and behind you are going all out through close clusters of spectators it would be very hard not to do the same.

Having spent many days at live race tracks and driving schools you realize how quickly things can go wrong even under ideal conditions. When you're talking about full-out off-road vehicles on desert terrain with spectators a few feet from the vehicles... There is no possible sane justification for it except to test your odds for survival. I'd rather run with the bulls in Pamplona than stand at the edge of that desert path and run the risk of becoming a bug on one of those trucks windshields. It's thrilling to stand at the inside of turn 17 at Sebring and watch the cars dive straight at you at over 100 mph with nothing separating you but a Jersey barrier... And even with the Jersey barrier there is some risk but to put yourself in harms way in front of airborne vehicles in clouds of dirt and sand and undulating terrain? That's just crazy. I understand the thrill but if you're looking for that kind of thrill you really are taking your life in your hands... and you can't really blame the drivers for coming there to do what they came to do... race.
Old 08-16-2010
Petey's Dad

Gallery Images: 54

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...ted;photovideo
Old 08-16-2010
administrationistperson

well stated DD, thanks...brings to mind Newgarden's off into pit lane at LRP, could have been horrible, so lucky. Even standing in the pits you need to stay alert.

Thanks for the vid Peter...you'd think the Pres of the association might have chosen a more conservative shirt to wear today
Old 08-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
From one article I read on AOL (my emphasis)
"The driver who lost control during an off-road race in the California desert and killed eight people when he crashed his truck into a crowd "had no business" going as fast as he did, a witness said today.

Keith Carty, an off-road race driver, watched the tragic accident at the California 200 truck race this weekend that also injured at least a dozen people. He said the driver took the jump too fast.

"If there's a huge jump coming up and people, lines of people on either side, you have no business doing 80-90 miles an hour through there," he told NBC's "Today" show. "It's the driver's responsibility to make sure that he's driving in a safe manner when there are spectators around."

I think KT is right about who is going to be nailed for this.

NBC TV news video

Roger, you are a desert racer, is their description of driver / rider responsibility typical for these events?

Well, typical what you see in races that are only one "lap", like in Mexico is drivers MAY slow down over jumps/hills a lil bit..But thats more in the interest of the drivers/riders own safety. Since generally if there's a large crowd around a certain section, ESPECIALY a hill, that is most likely where on of those "booby traps" are built.. It takes people to build em and they usualy wanna watch the extra air after. Like I said before, most are not meant to be malicious. But unfortunately they many times end badly. I bet with all the miles of offroad raced throughout the year the statics for miles/vs speactators hurt aren't all that much different than "closed course" events.. certainly more racers are hurt by spectators actions than vice versus in this arena anyway..Think about how many miles are done with rally and all... Even though this instance is awfully terrible, it's a very rare situation for the amount of risk that SPEACTATORS put THEMSELVES in.

If you go by what Keith Carty ( who I never heard of before) says here, there really shouldn't be speactators within eyeshot in many places. Things break all the time. The chances are probally much higher of a race vehicle having a failure and careening off course hundreds of yards than of one going off a small jump and taking people out. Bottom line for me is, people need to do ALOT of work to SEEK out and put THEMSELVES in the position of harms way when watching a race like that. Certainly more work than what it take to use some common sense and realize how far a vehicle can travel at even 40- 50 MPH, nevermind racing at 80-100 MPH. So if you can seek that out, you certainly should be held to your own responsibilty of safety 100% and the racers should be 100% focused on what they are doing.. racing... OF course, just my personal opinion.

If racers are supposed to slow down for people who don't have their own safety foremost, HOW MUCH do they slow down.?? Now one of the determining factors of race finishes is at the whim of the crowd and/or how much some people slow or other don't?? In a way it's a shame its already like at the BIG races, such as the ones in Mexico. You certainly can't really fight for an overall win in bikes these days without helicopter support. It's a HUGE advantage when the helicopter scouts ahead and radios to a rider about crowd conditions, spots hazards, booby traps, obstacles on course etc. Wiithout that hep you really cant go all out over the LITERALLY THOUSANDS of blind rises throughout the desert. Thats half of Baja.. comitment over blind rises/ corners. Going off into the desert with a bike at 70-100 MPH never really ends the same as doing a few rolls in a buggy/truck so that extra amount of throttle pinned commitment make all the difference in the world. Of course it has been becoming the same way with the big players in the trucks and buggies as far as need ing a heli to race for a win there. Point being.. Who decides what size crowd, their placement etc. and how much of an impact does it have on the 'speed adjustment". Who decides that?? How to you make it fair to all the racers.?? If you go out there and you're not willing to take the responsiblity of being gravely injured or worse, don't get close to the action.. Stay farther away and let the racers race. Off road and Rally racing is a whole different animal. People that go to so much effort to seek it out should know that and understand the differences and consequences.

Then, in the most unfortunate circumstance that something likes this happens, there's no blame.. It's just a horrble tragedy for EVERYONE that's involved. Everyone knows of the risks. Hopefully we won't ever hear of another one like this happening for a long, long time. I hope my opinions on personal safety and responsibility do not sound calous. As I can't even begin to imagine the level of grief and grieving these families are feeling after such a tragedy. My hearts and prayers go out to them.

So if my answer got lost... Certainly dirvers and riders I have known want the best for spectators...But I've never been around any that lift enough that anyone but themselves would notice the lift happened, no matter how tight the quarters get. There's plenty of youtube video to show that.
Old 08-16-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Or put most of it in Mexico or outside our borders.
Yes, It will move south of the border to Baja Mexico, at least from California.
Old 08-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
Yes, It will move south of the border to Baja Mexico, at least from California.
One thing.. many of the areas where these races are, whether it, be the deserts of Cali, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, have very small towns that are very depressed, have little revenue, and really count on the few offroad events they have a year to bring in income. I bet they fight awfully hard to keep racing close to them.
Old 08-16-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcote View Post
One thing.. many of the areas where these races are, whether it, be the deserts of Cali, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, have very small towns that are very depressed, have little revenue, and really count on the few offroad events they have a year to bring in income. I bet they fight awfully hard to keep racing close to them.
Watkins Glen for sure and I believe perhaps Road America at Elkhart Lake both established in the wake of spectator fatalities from races on public roads. Problem with desert racing is their laps are 50 miles long.

The impact may fade relatively quickly. The collective memory is short. 1955 didn't kill LeMans. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Le_Mans_disaster
Old 08-17-2010

It was just the first story (with video and an interview with a spectator and one with the the blonde girl's father) on CBS' Up to the Minute. It was followed by an ad break and then, in this order, coverage of the flooding in Pakistan, nuclear enrichment in Iran, and a plane crash in Colombia where only 1 out of the 131 on board died...

At the bottom of the hyperlinked article are the Editor's Picks. The picks, in order, are the plane crash, this article about the desert race crash, a piece about playing football and fasting during Ramadan in Michigan, and a photo highlight. No mention of the 9 year old girl who died in a crash while in a kart race, though.
Old 08-17-2010

That's sad. I have driven that track... It was a few years ago but scary stuff. In a quick kart you could hit 100+ on the back straight and if you missed the right-hand turn at the end it was some hay-bales and 100 feet at best before the highway. I'm sure it safer now though... Or it will be soon if they stick around.
Old 08-18-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

So, I'm having a hard time visualizing how the kart accident happened. Why is there a tractor and trailer where a kart could clip it? Maybe you can explain it, Kevin.
Old 08-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
So, I'm having a hard time visualizing how the kart accident happened. Why is there a tractor and trailer where a kart could clip it? Maybe you can explain it, Kevin.
I'm with you, I don't understand why a tractor would be on a live track at any point, especially with kids racing. I mean I guess it could be as like a pace car? Like I said it was a long time ago when I drove there, I'm sure its a different place now. But its not something that I have ever heard of.

Bookmark This Thread