Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 06-23-2011
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

More Scholarships!! Race Series Champion Shootout

You've heard the rumors, and here it is! Another scholarship shootout for drivers with racing experience!

Skip Barber Racing School Announces
the Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout

Lakeville, Conn. (Jun. 23).Skip Barber Racing School is now providing more motorsports scholarships than before, with the addition of more prizes for more Karting Scholarship Shootout participants, as well as adding another scholarship shootout event to the calendar: The Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout, an event that will award young drivers with racing experience the same opportunity to compete for over $110,000 in scholarships. With an entry fee of $2,500, the first Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout will be available to racers who are 25 years of age or younger and participants of the current Western, Southern and Summer championships (see below for requirements). The event will take place November 4-6, 2011 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and the winner will receive a full Seasonal Scholarship for 2012. The other top nine drivers will receive scholarship funds to compete in the upcoming season of Skip Barber Race Series events.

These changes solidify the Skip Barber Racing School Scholarship Ladder, rewarding young racers who are dedicated to their craft and work their way through the successful system that has proven results.

The ladder will start with the Karting Scholarship Shootout, an event that has been instrumental for 15 years in helping karters make the first step into motorsports. The winner of the 2011 Karting Scholarship Shootout will receive a scholarship to compete in the full 2012 Skip Barber Race Series of their choice. The other top nine drivers will receive scholarship funds to compete in 2012 Skip Barber Race Series events.

At the end of the 2012 year, the top ten competitors of each Race Series championship will be invited to compete at no cost in the Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout: a three day event where participants will be evaluated on their overall performance. The winner will receive a scholarship to compete in the full 2013 USF2000 race season and 2nd through 7th place will receive funds to compete in 2013 Skip Barber Race Series events.

Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout Awards:

2011: 1st place: Full 2012 Skip Barber Race Series Season
2012: 1st place: Full 2013 USF2000 Scholarship
2nd place: $30,000 Race Series Scholarship
3rd place: $26,000 Race Series Scholarship
4th place: $20,000 Race Series Scholarship
5th place: $15,200 Race Series Scholarship
6th place: $10,000 Race Series Scholarship
7th place: $10,000 Race Series Scholarship
*All scholarships funds are spread out over each race event throughout the course of the 2012 season, and cannot be applied to only a few select events.

2011 Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout requirements

Minimum eligibility:

Maximum eligibility:
1) Three (3) Skip Barber Racing School race weekends in 2011 in the calendar year leading up to the shootout.

1) No professional racing experience above equivalent junior series
2) Cost: $2,500

2) Participants have to be 25 years old or younger at date of the Shootout

Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout requirements
Open to only those who place in the top 10 in the championship points in the Skip Barber Race Series Championships

Minimum eligibility:

Maximum eligibility:
1) Six (6) Skip Barber Racing School race weekends in 2012 in the calendar year leading up to the shootout.

1) No professional racing experience above equivalent junior series
2) Cost: Free, Entry by invite only.

2) Participants have to be 25 years old or younger at date of the Shootout

The Skip Barber Racing School Scholarship Ladder is further strengthened, providing a clear, set path for aspiring drivers to not only advance their careers in a timely fashion, but to become the best racer they can be, both on and off the track. No other developmental race series offers as much expert coaching both on and off the track, as well as media exposure, various scholarship opportunities and maximum, affordable track time.

Click here for more information. Application and rules to be available shortly.

For more information about Skip Barber Racing School, and to start your racing career, call a Series Advisor at 800.221.1131 today!

About Skip Barber Racing School

For 36 years, Skip Barber Racing School LLC, the leader in high performance driving and racing education has operated a fully integrated system of racing schools, driving schools, racing championships, corporate events and OEM events across North America. Skip Barber Racing School is offered at more than 20 of America’s most prestigious race tracks. Skip Barber Racing School provides entry-level, equal car championships. The athletes are given media exposure, expert coaching, on-track arrive and drive experience, financial awards and motorsport scholarships. The reason many people choose to race with Skip Barber Racing is because they know it is the place where the stars of tomorrow begin their careers. The Skip Barber Racing School launched the auto racing careers of Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco Andretti, Scott Speed, Jeff Gordon, A.J. Allmendinger, Raphael Matos, Spencer Pigot and many more.
Old 06-23-2011
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Re: More Scholarships!! Race Series Champion Shootout

Can I get an age waiver since I look 25 and under?
Old 06-23-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude View Post
Can I get an age waiver since I look 25 and under?
lol

they should do a 25 and over shoot out with smaller prizes!!
Old 06-23-2011
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

They should do a 50 and over shootout with larger prizes!!
Old 06-23-2011
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

LOL these posts....OK,

OVER 55!
Old 06-25-2011
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

The announcement does not state it explicitly, but I'm assuming from the diagram of the 2012 "ladder" that the National Series is being eliminated after this year.

I suppose it was inevitable given Mazda's decision to insert the USF2000 series into their championship ladder, but I'll be sorry to see the national series go. At its best, it served up some remarkably competitive racing.
Old 06-25-2011
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Cruiser View Post
The announcement does not state it explicitly, but I'm assuming from the diagram of the 2012 "ladder" that the National Series is being eliminated after this year.

I suppose it was inevitable given Mazda's decision to insert the USF2000 series into their championship ladder, but I'll be sorry to see the national series go. At its best, it served up some remarkably competitive racing.
Very safe assumption, Peter. With entry lists in the low teens the last few years, it probably did not make business sense to continue. In the past, series like the Barber Dodge Pro Series and the National Series operated at a loss some years to serve as a beacon for young drivers, as well as a selling point for recreational drivers to race in a series with high credibility. There were good years, of course, like 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, when the series had excellent car counts and notable and successful drivers like Raphael Matos, Marco Andretti, Conor Daly, Josef Newgarden, Connor De Phillippi, etc. Still, as a business that is tight on cash, I can see why the National series would have to go for now.

I don't think the addition of USF2000 to the Mazda Road To Indy Ladder hurt National enrollment so much as the economy did. Numbers began to fall before USF2000 began its new championship. Also, F2000 Championship Series (the other F2000 series with very healthy car counts) had co-existed well with Skip Barber even during the National's good years. F2000 formula cars are different enough from Skip Barber cars to be really different products. There have to be enough funded customers who need Skip Barber training at this price point for the series to make sense.

Let's look into the past at how the Regional Race Series developed drivers before there was a National Series. The first "National" race was a season ending one-off invitational race that took place at Lime Rock, won by Ryan-Hunter Reay. The drivers were invited from the Regional series. In years prior, Regional titles were often won by the same caliber young career-minded drivers that drove later in the National series. Regional champions and selected standouts were invited to the "Big Scholarship" shootout each winter in Sebring, to drive the carbon fibre V-6 powered Barber Dodge Pro Series cars for a few days and compete for a sesaon in the Barber Dodge Pro Series, a value of about $200,000. Ryan-Hunter Reay was one of the winners of that intense shootout.

It is my opinion that the Skip Barber Race Series will continue to produce top caliber drivers without a formal stand-alone National series. They will do it the same as they had many times before the Natinoal series was created.

I will miss the National series dearly. But given the resolution of other current issues, the Skip Barber program will still be an awesome place to learn to drive a race car.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 06-25-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

I wouldn't be surprised if the Western Series is also mothballed.
Old 06-25-2011

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Western Series is also mothballed.
That would be a real shame if for no other reason than Laguna Seca is such a great track and Monterey is such a great place to visit. Ugh if that happens.
Old 06-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie View Post
That would be a real shame if for no other reason than Laguna Seca is such a great track and Monterey is such a great place to visit. Ugh if that happens.
maybe they will have a southern series race at LS

i have to be able to race at LS at least once a year!!

TARPEYS

Bookmark This Thread