Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions
View Poll Results: Should HANS devices be mandatory in Skip Barber events? If yes, how?
Yes, they should be required. Everyone should buy their own. 34 24.46%
Yes, they should be required. Skip Barber should buy a bunch and lend them to new racers just like they do with helmets. 63 45.32%
No, They should NOT be required. They're effective, but it should be the driver's choice. 41 29.50%
No, They should NOT be required. They're not effective. 1 0.72%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2007
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

Anyhow, I won a ride for 2008 via Bridgestone thanks to my championship win, and p.s., I bought the Pedro Diniz 'Red Bull' helmet not to pretend I had Red BUll sponsors but because it was $700 painted beautifully for only a $100 markup over the white unpainted Bieffe helmet, versus a $800 paint job, and it is a great helmet that has served me well over the years, kind of a 'good luck charm' by now.

I have always been a fan of Skip Barber, that is where I did the 3 day and 2 day advanced and my first few races in a Formula car....it was a great experience and the instructors were fantastic and totally cool, and I met many great people there. I would love to come out to LimeRock or Laguna again to see how much I have improved with regards to those tracks, but as I am close to buying my Van Diemen to run Pacific F2000 [which I will save a lot of money on by wrenching on it myself ;], I can't justify doing more 'arrive and drive' series.

And as for the 'Hans', the point of this entire thread, yes, I think it is a good thing, as I hurt myself very seriously last January testing Formula Renault in China, and yes, I did win in Formula Renault at the Shanghai F1 Circuit, Ari, it was one of the best days of my life, but unfortunately, I ran out of money, a common problem for us racers ; Point is, I think the Hans is reletively cheap insurance for your life, I'd rather be dead than handicapped and not be able to race again, I am looking to buy a Hans and that how I stumbled on the comments about me on this thread as I haven't been on it for a while....The day I crashed in Formula Renault when I was kicking some ass in the rain and having great loads of fun dancing the car around at 250kph was one of the funnest times I ever had...until I crashed and punched a suspension hole through the carbon fibre tub and could hardly feel the left side of my body for about 24 hours after, it was tingling and numb, and that was the only time I have ever been truly scared about my own mortality....I am getting a Hans and yes, I indeed have some common sense.

Anyhow, I wish you all the best, and give my thanks to the instructors at Skippy for giving me the skills to win in Renault and now, the Bridgestone F2000 Championship.

Best luck to you all,
Pete Olson
Old 05-29-2008
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedbac

I guess the poll brought this back to the top of the list so while it's here, so's my two cents.
Many of you know I had a left-front wheel center break out of the Turner (think Austin Healey Sprite) flat out in West Bend last year. Contrary to the wishes of the vintage club, I had installed a racing seat (to keep me under the Hans) and had added a bar to the roll hoop to provide the Hans-recommended angle for the shoulder belts. It ain't no Skippy car but 5500 rpm works out to a little over 90 mph at the point just past the apex where the car turned left. Thank the tire wall for the 'sudden deceleration' at about a 40 degree angle into the barrier.
Not only was I uninjured but the next day I felt no discomfort whatsoever. And at my age that's a rare day indeed!
Buy one, borrow one or steal one. But wear one.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 10-01-2009
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedbac

I hate it on the skip car, and i don't use it on the skip car.
other cars, would not drive without it.
never on the skip car.
Old 10-01-2009
Team Flying Randalls
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

wow - this topic was brought back from the past - - I think the answer above contradicts itself, makes no sense to me, a crash is a crash, use the Hans if you have it, if you haven't bought one yet, please strongly consider it - - anyhow, that's my $.02.
Old 09-18-2012
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

This is all assuming SB has the money to buy one hans device, let alone 50.
Old 09-18-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

This thread was started by Sy back in 2004.

It's the oldest thread that still gets fresh visits from newbies and others who vote on the pole and/or leave comments on occasion. One of the early posters was BMW's Martin Birkman who was also a Skippy racer at the time. His clever idea was to have the company purchase enough HANS to have one for each car actually on track at any given moment. Since that number was usually less than 20 it limited the cost for the company but made them available for anyone who wanted one.

Dale Earnhardt died in 2001 and the merits of the HANS device were still being argued in '04 but the evidence of effectiveness and almost complete adoptions of the device was quickly building. Back then the cost was higher, there were two sizes and several different angles for different cars types so you might have to buy a different angle HANS if you moved to different car class. Now there's a less expensive adjustable model suitable for all car types with sliding tether, quick release, and a much more belt friendly guide and guide surface. (None of which existed in 2004) Most helmet manufacturers now pre-drill the holes for a HANS device since most of their auto racing customers use them

8 years later no one seriously argues against the merits of a HANS device, yet they've never been required by SBRS. My personal opinion is that because it's a safety item, like seat belts, if the company provided them and a HANS tether timed out and failed the liability for the company would be enormous so they avoid that liability by not providing them.

You could then argue why not simply make it a requirement of each driver to provide their own and again, in my opinion, it's because requiring them would drive away those bucket listers who know they aren't going to race much and are willing to risk the odds of not investing in a HANS.

Ultimately common sense prevails. For those experiencing a couple of race weekends as a bucket list item the odds are pretty good they'll survive without a HANS. For the vast majority (probably 100%) of those running in the full race series a HANS device isn't even brought up for discussion, it's simply part of the start up cost. There is no good argument against it and I can speak from personal experience that it has unequivocally saved my neck more than once. I've never considered driving a race car without one.

Here's what Martin posted back on 8/17/04.

"I have some thoughts on how to smoothly and cost efficiently integrate HANS as a requirement without requiring racers to shell out another $1,200 for equipment.

At any given SBRS weekend there are 50 to 90 drivers at a track but never more than 16 on it in a car at the same time.
What I am saying is what about equipping all "cars" with HANS. What if SB ordered 20 devices (5Large 15 regular) and made it mandatory for drivers to wear them.
It will cost SB 20G, which means that they would have to raise prices byabout 25$ for a race or school etc. in order to break even.

The drivers would be responsible to have their helmets fitted. Individual helmets could be fitted by the mechanics for the nominal $75 fee that HANS is charging. This is also a welcome contribution to the mechanics fund. SBRS helmets would be fitted by HANS - the preparation of helmets is included in the purchase of the device...."
Old 09-18-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 12

An older model HANS just went up for sale on ebay. All carbon fiber, 20 degree, and needs recertification. It's $100 with over 6 days to go on the auction.

Last edited by emd645e6; 09-19-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2012
Grand Master

This could be a sweet deal for someone who would like a HANS for a Skippy open wheel car at a bargain price.
I have a nine year old HANS I had re-certified a couple of years ago. I've since added a sliding tether and it continues to serve me well.

Here's what's posted on the HANS web site about recertification.

SFI Recertification Program
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE.
MOST DEVICES REQUIRE NEW TETHERS TO BE RECERTIFIED.
IF YOU DO NOT PURCHASE TETHERS AND YOU REQUIRE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL BE CHARGED FOR SAME.
Starting Jan. 1, 2012, Head and Neck Restraints must be recertified every five years to meet SFI rules.

Competitors who have a HANS Device purchased in 2007 or earlier must have their device recertified. Devices passing the inspection will receive a new SFI 38.1 conformance sticker marked with the inspection date. HANS Performance Products will certify the HANS Device for $15 plus return shipping. (You will be given an estimate of shipping at checkout, but we will charge you the actual UPS rate).

It is rare for a device to fail the recertification inspection.
We regularly see devices that need replacement rubber on the legs or have tethers that are more than five years old and therefore need to be replaced.
If the friction rubber or tethers must be replaced, customers will charged for these items at the standard price. (Tether prices: $20 to $100. Friction rubber: $75.)

What should I do?

We have established several factory certified locations for this service.
To send your device to Atlanta, GA, place your order by clicking "Add to Shopping Cart" below.
If your tethers are dated 2007 or earlier, you must add either a Tether Kit or Tether Upgrade Kit to your order.
At checkout, you will receive an Order Confirmation Number.
Put the Order Confirmation Number and your device in a box. You are responsible for shipping to HANS Performance Products, 5096 Peachtree Road, Atlanta, GA 30341.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd645e6 View Post
An older model HANS just went up for sale on ebay. All carbon fiber, 30 degree, and needs recertification. It's $100 with over 6 days to go on the auction.
Old 09-24-2012

I do not know how long it has been on the market, but HANS has a new adjustable model now. It adjusts from 10-40 degrees in 5 degree increments and costs $795. Link: http://hansdevice.com/Hans-Device-Adjustable-Series
Old 09-27-2012

Simpson bought HANS Performance Products today...Interesting.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...CING/120929820

Simpson acquires HANS Performance Products
Published on September 27, 2012

Simpson Performance Products on Thursday announced that it has acquired HANS Performance Products, manufacturer of the widely used head and neck restraint system (HANS) credited for saving the lives of countless drivers during the past decade.
“We are glad to have the HANS device under the Simpson umbrella of racing-safety products,” said Chuck Davies, Simpson CEO. “This acquisition positions Simpson as the clear market leader in innovative racing-safety products. Our total restraint-system capabilities now include a comprehensive range of car restraints for all types of racing, including seatbelts, in-car nets, parachutes and the top models of head and neck restraints in the world today. We are excited about the new team we are forming and the growth possibilities for the future.”
Jim Downing, co-founder of HANS Performance Products added, “We are thrilled that HANS has joined the Simpson family. Together, we look forward to bringing new and innovative products to the market.”
HANS Performance Products, formed in 1991 by five-time IMSA driving champion Downing and Dr. Robert Hubbard, will operate in Atlanta as a separate division of Simpson. According to the parties involved in the deal with Simpson, Downing and Dr. Hubbard (the last being the inventor of the HANS Device) will continue to provide engineering experience and support to Simpson and its HANS division.
Old 01-16-2014

Have no experience with the adjustable HANS but my suggestion would be to get in the car with it loose and then get comfortable and see which setting is comfortable and lock it off there. Certainly more likely you'll be going in the 25 or 20 degree setting. 20 sounds extreme but 25 would be a reasonable guess. Just go by what's comfortable.

I purchased a new HANS adjustable a couple months ago but yesterday was the first time I was able to try it in the Formula cars. I had it set on 30 degrees and it was pushing my helmet forward and down at a very uncomfortable angle. It wasn't digging into me up front, so am I correct in thinking I need to reduce the angle? Maybe try 20 degrees? It adjusts in 5 degree increments from 10-40 degrees.

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-16-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2015
Grand Master

What angle did you settle on?

My suggestion would have been to have an instructor observe you sitting in the car in pit lane to find the optimum angle.

Still using the HANS I bought 12 years ago. Sent it back for recertification a few years back. It was re-certified and fitted with new padding. Changed it over to a sliding tether when they first came out. It has served me well and saved my neck more times than I'd care to remember. :-)

My HANS has protected me in spec Miatas, MX-5's, F3 Lola's and the vast majority in Skip Barber open wheel cars.

Wouldn't roll in any race car without it.

Now shoulder arms have ridges to keep belts from sliding off and, as you mention, are adjustable for added comfort and safety when moving to different types of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd645e6 View Post
Have no experience with the adjustable HANS but my suggestion would be to get in the car with it loose and then get comfortable and see which setting is comfortable and lock it off there. Certainly more likely you'll be going in the 25 or 20 degree setting. 20 sounds extreme but 25 would be a reasonable guess. Just go by what's comfortable.

I purchased a new HANS adjustable a couple months ago but yesterday was the first time I was able to try it in the Formula cars. I had it set on 30 degrees and it was pushing my helmet forward and down at a very uncomfortable angle. It wasn't digging into me up front, so am I correct in thinking I need to reduce the angle? Maybe try 20 degrees? It adjusts in 5 degree increments from 10-40 degrees.

Tags
hans , hans device

Bookmark This Thread