Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Site Announcements, Support & Help > Site Announcements & Support

Old 09-14-2004
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Exclamation New User Titles - Please Read

To continue and diversify the vibrant growth of the forums, I'd like to see more of the 'lurkers' actively participate. One way I can do this is to restrict users with low post counts (less than 3 for example) from viewing certain forums. Replies will count as posts.

I was thinking of allowing users without sufficient posts to view and post in the Pictures & Videos forum only. When they've reached enough posts, then they can see the others.

What do you think?
Old 09-14-2004
Coaching little league
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Users will soon be restricted if they don't post - feedback requested

You're kidding, right?

:tomahawk
Old 09-14-2004
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

How about something in between....

Like next to their name it says "Bum Looker" (ala Simon from SNL years ago...), or their avatar is a scarlet "L", until they reach the proper threshold. I wouldn't restrict them from looking.

I would though like to know everyone's name. Can you make it a requirement that they submit their real name to the administrator?
Old 09-14-2004
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Re: How about something in between....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
Like next to their name it says "Bum Looker" (ala Simon from SNL years ago...), or their avatar is a scarlet "L", until they reach the proper threshold. I wouldn't restrict them from looking.

I would though like to know everyone's name. Can you make it a requirement that they submit their real name to the administrator?
I'm not kidding, but not sure if I really want to do it. The problem with putting a 'scarlet letter' on a non-poster is that the only place you see the scarlet letter next to the member's userid is in the member's list. Who cares about that?

We have 42 members out of 90 who haven't made any contribution to the site other than enjoying it. I'd like to motivate them to do so. How, though? I'm up for suggestions.

Of course, some of them aren't allowed to post, but that's something we can give special dispensation to.

And, users are not required to provide names right now. It's something that I can do, but then I'd have to enforce it by checking.

Please give me your thoughts.
Old 09-14-2004
Coaching little league
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Users will soon be restricted if they don't post - feedback requested

I don't think that you should obligate people to participate...seems like a recipe for disaster. Also, "Freedom of Speech" is different than "we have ways to make you speak".

Most forum-centric websites typically have more lurkers than active participants. The challenge is to convert them into active participants by offering a venue with articulate, thoughtful exchange of ideas, opinions and conversation. To the extent that trolls dominate baiting other posters, participation would decline. It's up to the moderator(s) to police the site.

The camaraderie that we all treasure from our experiences with SBRS and expanded beyond that cannot be forced...or else it's lost.

JMVHO...

:tomahawk
Old 09-14-2004
Flying Mantuan
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Thumbs down Re: Users will soon be restricted if they don't post - feedback requested

that's kookie talk
Old 09-14-2004
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

kookie talk

Hey Sy.. perhaps you struck a chord, and Tom was right. You found something to get Nuvo to talk! First post! Not very articulate, but hey... it's a start!!

Bookmark This Thread