Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Old 04-27-2008
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Despicable Despain

Unless I blinked and missed it, a whole hour of Wind Tunnel passed tonight with nary a mention of the passing of an American legend and giant in motorsports, Mr. Cameron Argetsinger.

I won't waste words here, but I've already expressed my disdain to Despain et al via email for the total lack of courtesy and respect shown by him and the Wind Tunnel producers.

I hope others will do so as well. Send to windtunnel at speedtv.com

Viz
Old 04-27-2008
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Despicable Despain

Good call... Will do
Old 04-28-2008
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

This was surprising. Dave has always been a student of history and always seems to remind us of its importance to todays racing. I hope it was just an oversight by the staff, or I will be disappointed in Dave.
I sent an email to Wind Tunnell hoping to bring their attention to the passing of a legend in sportscar racing in the US.
Old 04-28-2008
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

Guys,

We don't have all the facts. Mr. Despain has done a ton of good for motorsports in the USA, and as such, we know to be a good guy.

Sending the Wind Tunnel staff emails is a good idea, but perhaps we should withhold judgement until we give Dave a chance to do the right thing for the Argetsinger Family.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 04-28-2008
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Don't think we have to worry about hurting Dave's feelings or besmirching his good name. He'd be the first to admit his error in not mentioning it, even if something honoring Cameron is in the works.

Being the devoted fan and historian of racing that he is he'd be pissed off if the fans didn't take him to task for his omission.

I called the "Wind Tunnel" rant line and stole Tireman's turn of phrase saying I loved "Wind Tunnel" but distained Despain for not mentioning Cameron Argetsingers contribution to the racing community by creating the track at Watkins Glen and bringing Formula One there. Cameron even proposed creating an F1 race on the park drive in Central Park!. (A course that would have been outrageous fun with great turns and elevation changes at the north end especially.) But the city turned him down.

Doubt the rant will ever make the air but the spirit of it wasn't really attacking Despain personally... Just his omission.

Bookmark This Thread