Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 09-09-2011
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

OBD (on board diagnostics)?

Do the Skippy cars have OBD ports? Can clients plug into them?

TIA,
Fred K.
Old 09-10-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: OBD (on board diagnostics)?

The answer to the second question is no because the answer to the first question is no.

There is a dedicated open wheel and MX-5 computer car with OBD available for individual sessions but no OBD on the fleet.

There has been lots of discussion about putting OBD on the entire fleet but cost and maintenance has made it a non-starter.
Old 09-10-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Yasser. Nothing Murph and Stephan would rather see than you messing with the OBD port after they spend the better part of two days equalizing the cars.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 09-10-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

I believe he's talking about OBD pertaining to steering angle, brake and throttle inputs etc, the kind of data you download into software for lap time analysis. It doesn't mess with the cars settings or equalization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Yasser. Nothing Murph and Stephan would rather see than you messing with the OBD port after they spend the better part of two days equalizing the cars.
Old 09-11-2011
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Please allow me to clear this question up q little. The Formula cars most defiantly have an OBD II port, right behind the drivers left shoulder on the F3 bulkhead. However, the car runs out of loop, as they don't have O2 sensors. what that means is... You can't really see A/F ratio etc. Timing was / is adjusted via Mopar cartridges that you plug into the OBD reader/writer. So, you can't adjust ignition, fuel curve, fuel injection dwell, etc by simply plugging in the OBD reader. The MX5 cars also have the port, and could be adjusted, though the car responds weird to those changes. The MX 5 is adjusted by tuning the exhaust.
Old 09-11-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92 View Post
Please allow me to clear this question up q little. The Formula cars most defiantly have an OBD II port, right behind the drivers left shoulder on the F3 bulkhead. However, the car runs out of loop, as they don't have O2 sensors. what that means is... You can't really see A/F ratio etc. Timing was / is adjusted via Mopar cartridges that you plug into the OBD reader/writer. So, you can't adjust ignition, fuel curve, fuel injection dwell, etc by simply plugging in the OBD reader. The MX5 cars also have the port, and could be adjusted, though the car responds weird to those changes. The MX 5 is adjusted by tuning the exhaust.
I still remember the first time I talked to my Audi via the laptop. I used to talk to my VW bug with a ball peen hammer.

BTW - sometimes a defiant formula car can become a lawn dart... or in CDH's case, a canoe. (you know I loves you, Pat)
I never met a typo I didn't love. I'm here through Saturday. Tip your waitress. Try the roast beef.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Bookmark This Thread