Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 07-17-2005
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
The LFT Tech R3 Head and Neck Restraint system thread

the lft tech R3 head and neck restraint. it looks like a huge contraption, but they only have one set of data up on the site and it appears to limit force more than the hans. http://www.lfttech.com/index.php
just curious what anyone else thinks.

Last edited by sydude; 07-18-2005 at 03:23 PM. Reason: renamed thread to more clearly reflect content
Old 07-18-2005
Mdwst Series Condom Model
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Re: new head restraint system

looks pretty interesting, although i haven;t seen anyone wearing them ("mandated by nascar" -- according to the site) in nascar. has anyone else. looks like it could be VERY uncomfortable in a skippy car.
Old 07-18-2005
David
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Let me relay a friend’s experience…

He tried the R3 out with little success in the Skippy cars. The problem is that the device goes down the middle of your back, so you need to put in the right amount of padding (with an appropriate cut-out for the device) so that the device "disappears" into the padding. Otherwise, the device puts pressure on your spine.

My friend struggled with it throughout his entire 3-day school at Sebring - each night visiting Home Depot in an effort to craft some padding that would make it bearable. Nothing worked well, and he had to go several sessions without a head and neck restraint because there was simply too much discomfort. He was able to get his hands on a HANS device for his 2-day school, and he lamented having spent so much time in pain trying to use the R3.

That said, the people selling the R3 were most helpful and offered to do whatever was necessary to get him comfortable. If you hate using a HANS, maybe it’s worth a call. Ultimately, however, my friend just asked for his money back and they gave it to him. I’m not sure how well it would work if you had a seat poured while wearing the device, but I think that might be a better approach than the padding.

Bobo was there during my friend’s 3-day and I know he took a look at the device, so perhaps he might have more insight into whether using the R3 in a Skippy car is possible.
Old 07-18-2005
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

This seems pretty dangerous to me. You'd need a pretty thick seat poured to be able to cut out enough to ensconce the hump. And that presents what seems to me to be the dangerous part - the foam in the seat is certainly of lower density, so if you are in a severe enough rearwards impact then the foam would compress more than the hump would, creating a high pressure zone right on your spine.

The only solution would be to make a rigid insert with a cut out, but that would be expensive, bulky and not very comfortable.
Old 07-18-2005
Mdwst Series Condom Model
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

it might be an interesting thing for Todd and the crew to think about in the new cars though. Although I'd be psyched with something that presses down like Champ/Indy for the Hans in the cockpit.
Old 07-18-2005
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815
Re: The LFT Tech R3 Head and Neck Restraint system thread

Yes, I saw the R3 at Sebring during that 3-Day school. I took a bunch of photos of it, will post shortly.

I completely agree with Sy's rear impact consideration. If you back into a wall at anything more than 3 g's, its going to hurt, and probably injure. It may be effective in a frontal hit, but no amount of padding will be of any use in a strong rear impact. I mean no ill will to the makers of the R3, on the contrary, anyone who is working to improve safety in racing is a friend of all of us! I'm just commenting on what I've seen so far.

I still like my HANS. Still pretty cheap for a little more peace of mind.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use

Last edited by Gerardo; 07-19-2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-19-2005
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

Here are the photos:
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	R3image1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	642   Click image for larger version

Name:	R3image2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	643   Click image for larger version

Name:	R3image3.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	644   Click image for larger version

Name:	R3image4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	645  

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 07-19-2005
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Hello Gerardo!, hello all, I'm the guy who used the R3 at Sebring.
I HIGHLY recommend the HANS over the R3 to anyone driving Skip cars. I had to cut a few sessions short due to the pain and discomfort of the R3 device's padding. Uncle Wally was very patient in trying to get me fitted correctly, as were other instructors, but bottom line, having another item (back pad) to slow down the strap-in process of getting in the car is bad enough (not only does it add another step to the strap in process, it also adds another level of anxiety). Besides, walking around with my "toilet seat" back padding cushion was humiliating! I also had a hell of a time at the Home Depot in Sebring, looking for some sort of cushioning material that doesn't come in 4x8 sheets, hahaha.

I ended up using the Hans at Daytona (back to back Sebring+Daytona sessions). I installed it in my hotel room with some basic tools from my tool bag. It's so simple to install and use and it is very comfortable.
HANS all the way!
Old 07-25-2005
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Thanks for the update, and welcome to the site, too!
Old 07-26-2005
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

^ Sure! No problem.
The third pic in Gerardo's sequence also captures the back padding (in the upper left hand corner, under my white helmet). LFT Tech supplied the black layer (about 1/2" thick). I tried using only that black layer on the 1st day and I pretty much crushed my spine, as the R3's back member kept making contact with the seat, therefore transmitting every shockwave to my vertebrae (along with rocking side to side). I built up the padding, using the black layer as a template, so that the back member would nestle in snugly. This worked out fine, but then all the layering placed added stress on my lower back. Long story short, it did not work. As mentioned above, LFT Tech was very prompt to provide a full reimbursement (along with paying for shipping), so I can't be upset with them. I only wish I wasn't some sort of test dummy for the R3 (that's essentially what had happened) on a Skip car.

Bookmark This Thread