Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions
View Poll Results: Arm Restraints - Yes or No?
Yes I wear them 17 43.59%
No I don't wear them 14 35.90%
I bought a pair, but I'm too lazy to wear them 6 15.38%
After reading this I am getting them 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2006
Team Flying Randalls
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Arm restraints - - Yes or No?

OK - - got the Hans posts mounted, so now, how about arm restraints - - do you guys wear them??

Thanks again for all your insight.

Steve

Last edited by sydude; 01-17-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2006
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: Arm restraints - - Y or N

Here is an earlier thread on arm restraints. There are other posts elsewhere on arm restraints.

I added a poll so we can see what others are doing.....

The search function on this site is very useful, try it. Your search word(s) are highlighted in red.....

Last edited by cdh; 01-16-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2006
Team Flying Randalls

Thanks - -

I did search for "arm restraints" and only got a
list of posts for head restraints.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 01-16-2006
Team Flying Randalls

To other lazy readers - - I read the earlier thread
posted above, and arm restraints get a big YES - -
Bobo doesn't get in a car without them.

The Randall team is headed to Daytona for our 2-day
advanced this weekend (Dec. 21-22) - - it's going to
take us 15 mins to get in the car - lol - using Hans
device and arm restraints, not to mention learning
the RT2000 - - - should be fun, can't wait
Old 01-16-2006
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Yes to arm restraints.

Also have the optional "bed post" attachments.

Once you've used the HANS and arm restraints a few times they'll be second nature and you won't feel comfortable in a car without them. They really don't add much time to your set-up.

Have fun at the 2 day. We look forward to reading about it!
Old 01-16-2006
Team Flying Randalls

Thanks for setting up the poll - -

BTW, we're originally from Ohio too, outside of
Youngstown - - moved to Tampa about 8 years
ago - - I love winters now
Old 01-16-2006
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

I edited the poll to reflect another choice, which covers people like me. Lazy, that is! It would be easy if I didn't have to worry about the other 9,000 things I have to do before I get in the car each time (sponsor stickers, radio, camera, earplugs, HANS device, balls etc.)
Old 01-16-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

A few things to consider for arm restraints.

1- I found that adding 2 more rings to the connection point of the harness was a pain in the ass. Then I realized that I could slip the arm restraint's D-rings right over the connections for the shoulder belts. That is, instead of sliding them over the right side of the lap belt, I slide them over a shoulder belt. Now they don't interfere with the connection itself. (does that make any sense? It would be easier if I could draw it!)

2- Wherever you decide to connect, once you do, make sure the restraints are the proper length. Not so short that you lose mobility, not so long that you can raise your arms up past the roll cage.

3- I found it easiest to belt myself in and leave the restraints on my lap until everything else was done.... then slip my arms in.

For new guys... I suggest a trial run! Get yourself into a car and strapped in long before your first session is ready to roll. No pressure. Figure out what works and what doesn't. It will save some anxiety as cars are rolling out of the pits and you aren't ready!
Old 01-16-2006
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

we have 2 votes.......do I hear 3?...3 votes.....anyone? anyone???

Dude, I love your priorities - video before arm safety... Whoo Hoo!

DD - LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
I edited the poll to reflect another choice, which covers people like me. Lazy, that is! It would be easy if I didn't have to worry about the other 9,000 things I have to do before I get in the car each time (sponsor stickers, radio, camera, earplugs, HANS device, balls etc.)
Old 01-16-2006
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
we have 2 votes.......do I hear 3?...3 votes.....anyone? anyone???

Dude, I love your priorities - video before arm safety... Whoo Hoo!

DD - LOL
Priorities? I've both broken bones* in crashes and missed videoing incredible races. Missing the video was worse!!

* - A finger is a bone. Now please stop laughing.

Last edited by sydude; 01-16-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

I havent worn them but think it makes a lot of sense. Sy I assume you will help me with this sometime before I figure out how the hell you hook the GD video camera up! You npw have 9001 things to do before your next race
Old 01-17-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

i have a pair i bought from driving impressions. i used them in texas at an scca race in november, but i haven't used them in a skippy car. the scca race car had a 5 pt camlock which was easy to use with the restraints. i should be using them but i have a hard enough time turning the steering wheel as now when i turn past 70 degrees my elbows hit the tubing. there was a car that flipped at tremblant this summer and the driver didn't get hurt. but i dont think it was at any real speed. i think it was on the way to namerow.
Old 01-17-2006
Grand Master

Steve,

Just realized your Ohio reference was probably referring to my location listing, (location, location, lo-Cleveland) and/or signature quote at the bottom of each post.

The Cleveland story happened at Mt. Tremblant last year where an impressive amount of radio chatter was directed my way for early apexing turns 8 & 10.

Here's a link to the quote from Bob Ziegel, who chose Cleveland as the travel destination for what has now become a catch-all phrase for middle-aged mental errors of every description. http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/vids/cleveland.wmv

There's also a hijacked long rambling thread with more gory detail than most humans would want, but a few Skippy racers have found entertaining. http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ight=Cleveland

I'm first from Westchester County (suburb of New York City) and have lived in NYC since '76.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sz28r
BTW, we're originally from Ohio too, outside of
Youngstown - - moved to Tampa about 8 years
ago - - I love winters now
Old 01-18-2006
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

They scare the hell out of me... I see how they can be useful, but everytime I think of getting a pair I have the mental image of a car on fire and I am having a hell of a time getting out with the addition of the restraints.... I don't think they would be a real hazard.. just something stuck in my head....
Old 01-18-2006
Team Flying Randalls

I just got a set of Simpson arm restraints, using them for the first time this weekend - - to ease your concern, the loop in each arm restraint is hooked into the latch of the belts - - so if there was a reason to exit the car quickly, you'd open the latch to remove the belts which would also release the arm restraints - - my mental image is having the car turn over and my arms being smashed as they fly over my head and outside the cockpit - - a bigger possibility of that happening, than a fire.
I've never had to use arm restraints before, other racing experience all in sedans - - I'll let you know how it goes after this weekend

Steve
Old 01-18-2006
Grand Master

Re: Arm restraints - - Yes or No?

Hopefully we'll all use 'em without ever testing them.

As mentioned, because of the way they attach, as soon as you release your belts you've released your arm restraints as well. You can't not release them with the other belts.

The other compelling reason for using them (that was mentioned in an earlier thread) is preventing the urge to reach up and catch yourself as the car hits or stops on its roll bar. It's easy to imagine an overpowering survival instinct that would be very hard to resist as the earth is coming at your head.

The inconvenience of using arm restraints and a HANS is a very small price to pay for what they prevent. Thankfully they don't come into play very often but when they do... you walk away and get in another car, usually the same day, as opposed to all kinds of ugly scenarios none of us would care to endure.
Old 01-23-2006
Team Flying Randalls

Hey Everybody,
We're back from our 2-day at Daytona, first time using both the Hans device and arm restraints - - no issues at all, once your in the car and moving you don't notice them -
Old 01-24-2006
Team Flying Randalls

Another thing - -

At our 2-day, a guy touched wheels with another car at the end of the front straight and rolled at least 3 times - - the driver wasn't hurt, he was wearing a hans device but no arm restraints - - he said that he'll have them the next time he's in a race car - -
Old 01-26-2006

Gallery Images: 1

Seems like everytime I get in the car I make the leads shorter and shorter!
Old 01-27-2006
Team Flying Randalls

I know what you mean I experimented every session on the track - - what seemed to work best for me was to have the arm restraints tight enough that my arm (from my shoulder to my elbow) would only go horizontal to the ground - - no higher

I definitely didn't find them to be restrictive at all when driving, they do make it impossible to adjust your mirrors once your belted in, so make sure they're where you want them early on -
Old 01-28-2006
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

I found the arm restraints restrictive, but only if they were accidentally tightened too much. other than that, as long as they were tight enough around your arm and didnt move, they were fine.
Old 09-04-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: What to do if you have brake failure?

(editor: I copied this post from another thread, as it would be quite appropriate here as well)

..Very few drivers use arm restraints in this series, most saying they are a pain. Imagine the pain if they are the first point of contact in a roll. I have been using restraints sewn into my suit for a couple of years and they add about 30 seconds to the buckling process. Once they are on I forget I have them unless I need to make a Alonso style gesture to another fine driver's technique. There is a company in Seattle that sews in 2 D-rings into the suit so the restraints are removable. Costs about 70 bucks. Let me know if anyone wants more info. Pretty cheap insurance..

Last edited by sydude; 09-08-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2006

I am going to give them a try.

Zach
Old 09-22-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Last weekend we had a Porsche track day in Seattle. Guy flipped his car 3 times. His only injury was a badly (it was gruesome) damaged hand. Obviously no restraints. To be honest until I had them sewn into my suit they were a bit of a hassle. Now it adds about 30 seconds to my belting process and then they are forgotten. After seeing this guys hand (it will never be the same) I can't stress enough that these little devices are important. The company in Seattle that sews them in for about 70 bucks is Design 500, (design500.com) or 206-447-9860. Seems like a no brainer to me. Wouldn't want you to have to have someone else to wipe your butt for you. Not a pretty picture.
Old 09-22-2006

Where do you get the arm restaints from? Are they something you can install (or add) yourself? Or does a company have to do that?
Old 09-22-2006
Running Amok.

Driving Impressions (or any gear shop) will have them. I think I paid $25 or so. They attach to the car's harness and your arms. It is possible, but not necessary to attach them to your suit. Makes life easier, cost isn't high. Good idea if you get a new suit for sure.
Old 09-22-2006
Grand Master

Mine cost $35 and are not attached to my suit. The hardest part was simply getting them adjusted properly so they restrict my arms from coming out of the cockpit without restricting my steering and shifting motion in any way. That required experimenting with them during some non-pressured time between sessions in an unused R/T.

Now, its just part of the normal routine of getting in the car.
Old 09-24-2006
GrandMasterB
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 57

I've had them for years, sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't. They don't allow you to wave to other cars when pitting or signaling trouble ahead.

OLDMAN
Old 09-28-2006
Drive-Race-Live

Well I use arm restraints in all the cars I drive except the Skippy cars. It is something with the way that the belts are designed that make it seem like I can't move my arms enough. THey are def. safer but I guess it is just preferences.

But please note that in my Renault and in all the other cars that I have tested I wear them...

Will the new car have the same belt system or not?? This should be something Skip Barber should consider!!
Old 09-28-2006
Team OC/AD D

Arm restraints will be covered in Part 3 of the New Skippy Car Survey, so please make sure you bring it up again when it is released.
Old 10-18-2006

I'd advise arm restraints for Steve Wynn!

After paying over $48 million for a Picasso painting and then getting a record-setting offer of $139 million, he poked a hole through it with his elbow while gesturing to a group, including Barbara Walters, Nora Ephron, and others.

Needless to say, he is having it repaired and keeping it himself.
Old 10-18-2006
Grand Master

That's too good. We should send him a set and suggest he hook 'em to his belt buckle to prevent further damage to the painting and (Doh!) smacking of himself in the head for being so lame. Should be a rather significant crash damage report for that handy work and he's on AP for the rest of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru
I'd advise arm restraints for Steve Wynn!

After paying over $48 million for a Picasso painting and then getting a record-setting offer of $139 million, he poked a hole through it with his elbow while gesturing to a group, including Barbara Walters, Nora Ephron, and others.

Needless to say, he is having it repaired and keeping it himself.
Old 10-19-2006
Martin Zimmerman
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Seat Belts need to be done by the driver. We must keep in mind that there are new drivers at every race. The experienced driver will have his belts tightened before he leaves the pits, but what about the newbie who forgets? I have left the pits once and did not buckle my helmet, Yikes!
Also one needs to be able to undo them as needed. I had was turned over in the carousel at IRP some years ago. Upside down, with liquid dripping down past my eyes. Mmm, sitting on a fuel tank, what might that be? I popped the belts and scrambled to get my A-- out of that car. Turns out it was radiator water, but I was motivated.

Also, why do most drivers not use arm restraints? When I was flipping, I slapped my helmet several times. Thank the Lord for arm restraints. Sitting in the car,with no arm restraints my lanky arms extend at least a foot or more over the top of the roll hoop. They are cheap insurance, about $30.00 to 50.00.

Beaded Seats. According to Gerardo $300 to 500 would be OK for an experienced driver, but it is one more item that a newbie has to add to his cost for that first race.
I do not have a foam seat. My seat is carpet foam with miles of racer tape. Not heavy, folds up nicely into my drivers suit bag.

Wheel tethers seem like a good idea.

Fendered race cars? Nope.
Old 11-17-2006

I'm agreeing with Martin here. I (being a new driver to cars) never had to worry bout seatbelts and such. I need to learn to get them on and off as quickly as i can. Maybe something to incorporate into the learning process. I have run in Ford Focus Midgets out in California and found the arm restrains useful. If you get them tightened down right they shouldn't be very restricting. I think the $50.00 for the arm restraints is worth it, rather then buying a new arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Zimmerman
Seat Belts need to be done by the driver. We must keep in mind that there are new drivers at every race. The experienced driver will have his belts tightened before he leaves the pits, but what about the newbie who forgets? I have left the pits once and did not buckle my helmet, Yikes!
Also one needs to be able to undo them as needed. I had was turned over in the carousel at IRP some years ago. Upside down, with liquid dripping down past my eyes. Mmm, sitting on a fuel tank, what might that be? I popped the belts and scrambled to get my A-- out of that car. Turns out it was radiator water, but I was motivated.

Also, why do most drivers not use arm restraints? When I was flipping, I slapped my helmet several times. Thank the Lord for arm restraints. Sitting in the car,with no arm restraints my lanky arms extend at least a foot or more over the top of the roll hoop. They are cheap insurance, about $30.00 to 50.00.

Beaded Seats. According to Gerardo $300 to 500 would be OK for an experienced driver, but it is one more item that a newbie has to add to his cost for that first race.
I do not have a foam seat. My seat is carpet foam with miles of racer tape. Not heavy, folds up nicely into my drivers suit bag.

Wheel tethers seem like a good idea.

Fendered race cars? Nope.

Bookmark This Thread