Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 09-13-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Mechanics Fund-ACT NOW

I once pulled into a Manhattan parking garage at holiday time and saw a huge poster with the names of all the clients and their holiday tips. I thought it was an incredibly clever self correcting way of encouraging people to be generous.

What if we created a comprehensive drivers list in a spreadsheet with every race weekend having its own vertical column. We'd use $100 as the control. On race weekends, every driver who gives $100 or more gets a plus sign. Everyone under $100 gets a minus sign. If you do not attend the weekend your space is left blank.

We'd then print up a revised spread sheet for each event and place it next to the car assignment board for all to see.

No praise, no blame... just the facts.
Old 09-13-2006
Fund Raiser Racer
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

the company asked us not to do that in the early 90s.they felt it was embarassing to their customers. we than gave a helmet decal for every 100 given JUST LIKE KILLS ON A PLANE. please dont do that anymore we were asked. i used to post a chart at the end of the year.we used to read the names at the drivers meeting.send a letter at the end of the season.and i could go on and on.but it would be beating a dead camel

you are either born generous or not

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 09-13-2006
Flying Mantuan
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

that's kookie talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
I once pulled into a Manhattan parking garage at holiday time and saw a huge poster with the names of all the clients and their holiday tips. I thought it was an incredibly clever self correcting way of encouraging people to be generous.

What if we created a comprehensive drivers list in a spreadsheet with every race weekend having its own vertical column. We'd use $100 as the control. On race weekends, every driver who gives $100 or more gets a plus sign. Everyone under $100 gets a minus sign. If you do not attend the weekend your space is left blank.

We'd then print up a revised spread sheet for each event and place it next to the car assignment board for all to see.

No praise, no blame... just the facts.
Old 09-13-2006
Grand Master

Sid, so you're calling it your camel now? Eewww...

But you're right on the other counts... You would never ever want to offend or require those (OVERLY ENTITLED, SELFISH, UNGENEROUS, CHEAP, LAZY, INCONSIDERATE, WELL-HEELED BASTARDS.. Gee did I say that out loud?) who spend between $3,000 and $6,000 per race weekend for track time, before computer car sessions, development days, crash damage, food, travel and lodging from throwing $100 bucks to the guys in the trenches who keep their cars safe and running well all week long.

They're already value shoppers feeding at the trough of the best value in racing so why pay a penny more than they have to? Right?

Besides... They can always leave and go run in all those other less expensive race school series with first rate instructors, world class tracks all around the country, up and coming world class drivers, the world famous masters lunatics and the best sportsmanship and camaraderie to be found anywhere, Right?

Screw it... Let 'em race Ferrari's

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgersid
the company asked us not to do that in the early 90s.they felt it was embarassing to their customers. we than gave a helmet decal for every 100 given JUST LIKE KILLS ON A PLANE. please dont do that anymore we were asked. i used to post a chart at the end of the year.we used to read the names at the drivers meeting.send a letter at the end of the season.and i could go on and on.but it would be beating a dead camel

you are either born generous or not
Old 09-13-2006
Fund Raiser Racer

PAT as usual well said.

you make me smile

Old 09-13-2006
Petey's Dad

Gallery Images: 54

Quentin Wahl and I are having a special RA weekend planned. We made a bet that I would beat him or he would beat me for $1,000 per race, paid by the loser to the winner. The loser of each race hands the money over at the banquet in front of all our friends and then given it to the mechanics for their hard-work.

I am counting on him bringing lots of cash......
Old 09-13-2006
Big Dick
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Do you both have to finish for the bet to be valid? If so, it could be a pretty low risk bet.
Old 09-13-2006

Gallery Images: 8

Zing!
Old 09-13-2006
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

When Peter and Chris both end up in the gravel trap doing dust angels, we'll measure with a tape like they do in the Olympics Long Jump to see who has completed the most inches.

The mechanics have always done good for me. When I raced Nationals I did $100/weekend because I saw regional guys do it, so I had to, even if it was hotel/airfare money. Had to. Sid once put his arm on my shoulder as I was writing one of those $100 checks and in an instant it went to $150.

Even now, when I do lead-follows, or just get in a car to study a track to then teach others what I learned for that session, the mechanics still treat me like royalty. I'm sure they're doing that for everyone.

So then Sid, Pat, I'm in too. I can't do much, but I'll do this one.

Skip Barber is the best thing that ever happend to me as a race driver.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 09-13-2006
Tire Pariahrometer
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Sid:
Give it up. Good guys will do good things. You can't manufacture good guys. The sooner the mechanics realize that this is a nowhere job, the better thier lives will be in the future. Sucking them in with a bonus just prolongs the inevitable.
Old 09-14-2006

The way I see it, there are two ways to motivate people in this situation:

Option 1. Public humiliation. I like it but sounds like the Skippy Mgmt believes this is inappropriate. That's too bad as it is fun for us and I do believe people would like this given option #2.

Option 2. Public beatings. I, or if they are large, a few of us hold the person down and Al, (this would be Big Al, the man with a huge heart who can probably bench-press his house) beats the guy to within an inch of his life or at least until his kids are born dizzy. This is fun for us as well by the way.

One weekend of this, and I think we are done.
Old 09-14-2006

BY the way, I did not see this thread directly. I linked to it from Sy's F1 results posting banner. Great idea on the banner and the PayPal link!
Old 09-14-2006

Gallery Images: 8

Bobo:You are a positive inspiration in so many ways!

Captain Craige: Are you moonlighting in the comedy district when Wall St. Closes?
Old 09-14-2006

We have a sign here at work that says:

"The beatings will continue until morale improves!"

It inspires me.
Old 09-14-2006
GrandMasterB

Gallery Images: 57

Jim:
Your confusing "right and wrong" with "correct and incorrect".

"Right" and "wrong" imply moral issues. It's wrong to hit your mother. You did the right thing by giving to the Mechanics' fund.

When you said Lime Rock was the capital of Connecticut you were incorrect, not wrong.

Next week we will cover "bring and take" as well as "less and fewer". And remember, there will be a quiz.

OLDMAN
Old 09-14-2006
Grand Master

To help you guys out we're having an ATM that dispenses thousand dollar bills brought to the banquet...

Since there aren't any sand traps at LRP, doing sand angels won't be an option... but Dick Lippert is having quick install nerf bars fabricated that will fit inside the fiberglass nose cone, so watch your back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML Peter Ludwig
Quentin Wahl and I are having a special RA weekend planned. We made a bet that I would beat him or he would beat me for $1,000 per race, paid by the loser to the winner. The loser of each race hands the money over at the banquet in front of all our friends and then given it to the mechanics for their hard-work.

Old 09-14-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMAN
Jim:
Your confusing "right and wrong" with "correct and incorrect".

"Right" and "wrong" imply moral issues. It's wrong to hit your mother. You did the right thing by giving to the Mechanics' fund.

When you said Lime Rock was the capital of Connecticut you were incorrect, not wrong.

Next week we will cover "bring and take" as well as "less and fewer". And remember, there will be a quiz.

OLDMAN
yes, but I know the first 34 digits of pi.
Old 09-14-2006
GrandMasterB

Gallery Images: 57

Jim:
Believe it on not, I know from memory that it's 3.141592654. I lead a very dull life!

A while back during a math discussion with Noreen she said "Oh you mean pi r square". I corrected her and told her that "cornbread are square, pie are round!". I guess you had to be there.

OLDMAN
Old 09-14-2006
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

that's ok, but I have my three 15 digit credit card numbers memorized.......big trouble - look out!
Old 09-14-2006
Fund Raiser Racer

JIM as you know i have no problem with public humiliation.I do it to all including myself.

Beatings i love them so much i have to go to the city and pay mistress helga 500$ per hour

That being said you are a great guy and a peasure to be around.

OH NO ! DID I JUST SAY somthing nice

DICK if i am not there to watch the war of the worlds please call and let me know how it feels to win 3 in a row

Quentin do not let peter beat you if you have to take him out JUT DO IT

PETER do not let quentin beat you. YOU already know how to do it

OLD MAN if you stopped remembering stupid crap and remembered somthing useful.You could get a better job and nicer rug's

IS there anybody i didnt pick on?

Old 09-14-2006
Fund Raiser Racer

O K JUST a few spelling errors.i never said i was smart

NOR did anyone else

Old 09-14-2006
Petey's Dad

Does anyone else want to join the betting that will be happening at RA?? It is all for a good cause you cheap bastards....

Last edited by ML Peter Ludwig; 09-14-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2006
Grand Master

Jeez Peter... and I thought my short term memory was bad. We first look forward to watching you and Quentin on track and then watching you settle your bet at the banquet! Good Stuff!

Post #72
Quote:
Quentin and I have a little bet going for the final RA weekend races. Quentin thinks he will beat me and I think I will beat him so we have a $1,000 bet going for each race. The bet gets paid at the banquet and donated to the mechanics fund.

I told Quentin to bring lots of cash for this event!!!
Post #66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyduo
To help you guys out we're having an ATM that dispenses thousand dollar bills brought to the banquet...

Since there aren't any sand traps at LRP, doing sand angels won't be an option... but Dick Lippert is having quick install nerf bars fabricated that will fit inside the fiberglass nose cone, so watch your back!
Post #56
Quote:

Old 09-14-2006
Petey's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Jeez Peter... and I thought my short term memory was bad. We first look forward to watching you and Quentin on track and then watching you settle your bet at the banquet! Good Stuff!

Post #72

Post #66

Post #56
What the hell are you taking about??? You are losing it man: NO I did NOT edit #72, did not, did not!!

Honestly, I had a problem with my computor last night and thought my message did not make it to this thread, did'nt bother to look before I reposted. I am in the middle of Iowa with dial-up, yes this technology still exists in the Mid-west!
Old 09-14-2006
Grand Master

Let's see... post #72 posted 39 minutes ago Last Edited 2 minutes ago by Peter Gee I wonder how that post got changed???

I wouldn't bet against you Peter but with you and Quentin having a grudge match I might have to cover my bets with some side money on Chris and Dick. Whatever happens it'll be fun to watch!
Old 09-15-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Mechanics Fund - Sid, take the money!

hey Sid

I got a note from PayPal that as of last night, you had not "collected" my money yet - not sure if PayPal has "expiration dates"...

I figured you would have rushed right out and picked up the dough

love and kisses//
Old 10-12-2006

Hey Sy,

Could you please post addresses for the Western and Southern series Mechanics' Fund organizers for those of us who want to contribute but won't be at the races?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2006
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Sure, but one small problem.. I'm not sure who's doing it either. Maybe Al D. will do Western, but I have no no idea about who's doing Southern. Anyone have more info?
Old 10-12-2006

For Western I think Al D. and Jeff Kaiser, don't klnow about Southern.
David Libby did it last year.
Old 10-13-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Western Series 06/07 Mechanics Fund Update -

Pending confirmation from the West Series Cruise Director and Social Secretary, Dr. Tom Roberts (also author of the Western Blip), and from the King of Silicon Valley, Jeff Kaiser, it appears that Jeff will once again take Fund Chairperson and I will be his humble and meek assistant...

SO....break out the ATM cards before the Miller Event. We'll get back to you about different "giving options" including PayPal, paycheck garnishment and rental car "insurance".

Old 06-14-2010
Team OC/AD D

The addresses for making Mechanics Fund contributions have been updated to reflect Sid's address only. Also, his paypal address link was corrected.
Old 06-14-2010
Grand Master

Thanks for fixing that Dude... Sid was back in action at Lime Rock this weekend and gave extra good van arounds as usual.

BTW... Just noticed the link to GPNY at the bottom of your post goes to a "Not Found" page.
Old 06-14-2010
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Thanks for fixing that Dude... Sid was back in action at Lime Rock this weekend and gave extra good van arounds as usual.

BTW... Just noticed the link to GPNY at the bottom of your post goes to a "Not Found" page.
Thanks, will fix.
Old 08-03-2010
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgersid View Post
over 660 views and 4 people respond. now you all see what i mean.

AND guess what ? 4 of the good guys

I am worthless... this thread is so old....

Bookmark This Thread