Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions
View Poll Results: Will you be able to attend this event?
Yes 14 73.68%
No 4 21.05%
Probably 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Re: Head Count for Karting Event

I am waiting til Sunday and then if i don't get anything from the maybe's then they come off the list and alternate definites go on.
Old 11-18-2006
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Just got back from OTK. Had a fun time running with Paul (oldredracer) and his son Peter, guys from a BMW club, and guys from SCCA racing. We did 2 groups and ran 3 Heats per group: One practice round, a qualifyer, and a race. The races didn't go so hot. Lots of guys had a bad case of Red Mist and low eyes.

It would have been more fun if I was racing with ya'll, but I met some good guys all the same. Have a good time next Saturday!
Old 11-19-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Re: Karting in Wallingford, CT

Ari, I've decided that this is a no-holds barred website. Have at it.
Old 11-19-2006

Thanks Sy, but at this point, I think it's best to just leave my clean comment alone and not add anything.
Old 11-20-2006
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Make me a definite for Saturday the 25th, looking forward to it, time for some helmet cam / karting footage.
Old 11-20-2006
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkmama
What are maybes?

Maybe I come if I like the crowd?
Maybe I come if I wake up in time?
Maybe I come if I get permission at home?
Maybe I come if my piggybank has been fed well enough?

I think it is great that Ari takes on organizing the 06 shootout and trust me I know putting stuff like this together always sucks. Karting is typically a 'the more the merrier' activity. And I personally would love to see the maybes there since I have not seen them in too long a time. But it would be unfortunatel if the maybes converted to no-shows and others that would have been definites were left out. So dear maybes please either s&*t of get off the pot.
My Dear Martino,

I was a maybe because with Thanksgiving this week (a holiday we celebrate here in the States ) , we have out of town guests, additional activities planned, etc. and I wasn't sure if I could make it. I have cleared my schedule and look forward to some exciting kart racing, seeing your smiling face again, and passing you many times

Your Pal CDH
Old 11-20-2006
Team OC/AD D

Re: Head Count for Karting Event on November 25th, 2006 at Wallingford [Threads Merged]

Ari-

Are we all set with confirmed participants? Just want to know if we should updated and close the poll.

FYI - I merged all the Wallingford karting threads and moved them to the Race Series discussions forum, where the usually are.

S
Old 11-20-2006
GrandMasterB

Gallery Images: 57
Re: Head Count for Karting Event on November 25th, 2006 at Wallingford [Threads Merged]

Are we doing lunch?

OLDMAN
Old 11-20-2006

Re: Head Count for Karting Event on November 25th, 2006 at Wallingford [Threads Merge

Bob,

I assumed that we would all grab lunch together. Thank you for bring it up though. What restaurants are there near the facility? It's going to be hard to schedule something because there may be a few that wish to stay and compete in a few more races though I'm sure we can figure something out.
Old 11-20-2006

Re: Head Count for Karting Event on November 25th, 2006 at Wallingford [Threads Merge

I'm waiting til the end of the day for one more confirmation: Paul Bordieri and then we should be all set. Donald, Bob, and Doug have all confirmed. We should be at 14 people:

Ari
Sy +2
Pat
Ted
NickS +1
Martin
David Casey
David Gionfriddo
Donald
Doug
Bob
Old 11-20-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

What you said was a total non sequitur. But in any case it's Descartes and "Cogito ergo sum". Unless, you are Oldman of course, in which case it is "coito, ergo sum," give or take a minute.

Last edited by dalyduo; 11-20-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2006
Team OC/AD D

Guys, I may have one of my party drop out (Nat). I'll let you all know asap so we can fill the spot.
Old 11-20-2006
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Keith,

I didn't know you were this Keith....(and you didn't know I was this Chris..)

You should have said you did karts and Skippy!

I thought the start of the race was great, but would have liked to see the restart a single file pace lap rather than be so spread out. I think I got by you on that yellow-go-green - again, they should have done that at S/F not anywhere on the track.

But it was fun.

Chris Z
Old 11-20-2006
GrandMasterB

Dom:
Vescere bracis meis!

OLDMAN
Old 11-20-2006
Bavarian Berserk

Ah, great to see that the spirit is still alive.

Kartigo ergo run.

(Unknown).
Old 11-20-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Talking Re: Head Count for Karting Event on November 25th, 2006 at Wallingford [Threads Merged]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMAN
Dom:
Vescere bracis meis!

OLDMAN
Only if they are FIA approved.
Old 11-20-2006
administrationistperson

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris

If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
Old 11-21-2006
GrandMasterB

It's Tuesday the 21st. I'll be there tonight at 7:00. Look for the kart with the training wheels.

OLDMAN
Old 11-21-2006

How do you want to use the hour?

I think we should use the setup for last year's shootout which was multiple races but with a different starting order for each race. Also, I think a quick 5 minute practice may be a good idea for those who have never been to the track. Best overall average finishing position of the day determines the winner. Another idea is to do a practice, qualifier, a couple heats and then a main race. I don't mind this idea, I just like the multiple race idea better. Any other suggestions?

As for starting time, we get on track at 10am, but I would like people to get there by 9:30am so we are all prepared by 10am. We have to sign some forms and get ready to race. Don't forget your helmets and gloves. I don't believe this facility requires driving suits, so don't worry about that. I also forgot to mention that I will be taking payment by cash or check.
Old 11-21-2006
GrandMasterB

Ari:
Be warned, these guys waste a ton of time between races (heats). The most 8 minute sessions anyone gets in may be 3 or 4. This is a family operation with hard and fast rules. They love their lines.

OLDMAN

Last edited by OLDMAN; 11-21-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2006
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by arig
How do you want to use the hour?

I think we should use the setup for last year's shootout which was multiple races but with a different starting order for each race. Also, I think a quick 5 minute practice may be a good idea for those who have never been to the track. Best overall average finishing position of the day determines the winner. Another idea is to do a practice, qualifier, a couple heats and then a main race. I don't mind this idea, I just like the multiple race idea better. Any other suggestions?

As for starting time, we get on track at 10am, but I would like people to get there by 9:30am so we are all prepared by 10am. We have to sign some forms and get ready to race. Don't forget your helmets and gloves. I don't believe this facility requires driving suits, so don't worry about that. I also forgot to mention that I will be taking payment by cash or check.
First - THANK YOU ARI for taking the reins and getting this rolling. I like all of the above ideas with one change - roll call should be 9:00, always good to have plenty of time to get organized, and with this bunch we'll need it!

At F1 Boston we did a mini grand prix - race, switch cars, race, switch cars, points accumulate as it progresses, that was a fun format. Have you asked track management what they recommend, what they do best?

I def want to get some video, does anyone know if they object to camera bags strapped to or secured under a jacket? Anyone else bringing video gear? I think we could put together a fun race vid if we have several cameras in operation, I volunteer to cut it.

Should be a blast, I'll be driving from Stamford and I like to leave a bit early (on the road around 8:00 or so), if anyone wants to caravan up let me know

Last edited by cdh; 11-24-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-22-2006
GrandMasterB

This facility is right off the Merritt Parkway at Exit 66. Take a left from either direction, go 300 yards and it's on your left.

If you're coming from the city on I95 connect to the Merritt in Milford, CT and follow the Merritt north. I think the Exit number (on I95) is 36 or 37, watch for the signs.

It will take some doing to get good track time on Saturday. If you don't believe me ask Dalyduo who got to see their time management skills in action last night. It sort of reminds me of DMV where the least qualified person is in charge . And, like I've said in the past, they love their lines.

When you're paying by the session ($15) it doesn't matter, when your paying by the hour it does!

OLDMAN

Last edited by OLDMAN; 11-22-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2006
administrationistperson

you don't make it sound very tempting

Duo?
Old 11-22-2006
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

OTK isn't as sophisticated as F1 Boston or Karting America at managing heats. Whereas the other guys have software that manages and anticipates your races for you by giving you a specific kart and starting spot designed to mix it up based on past performance, OTK doesn't assign karts. You jump in any kart and they collect your ticket and match your kart number with your name in their computer. You are sent out in random order and deal with the karts around you.

You are ranked by lap times, not by finishing position but you do have the same issues of getting around slower or same speed traffic to find clear track to run on and improve average and individual lap times.

The problem is if we keep running heats in the same karts, those with fast or slow karts will be perpetually rewarded or punished and it may prove exhausting to run a full hour without rest. If we switch karts after each heat we will lose a couple of heats from the time it takes to rejigger the numbers and names each run. (If the sessions are 8 minutes long and it takes 5 minutes to reset each heat we'll only have 5 heats max.)
And that's assuming everyone wants to run every heat for the hour.

I think we'll enjoy the track and the karts, I'm not sure we're getting a good deal on the price?

What are we paying for the 10 - 11a hour? (Can't seem to locate it in the thread)
Old 11-22-2006

Pat, I just talked to Barbara and she says 6 races at 8 minutes each is the max we can do in the hour. There are a few ways to structure the racing. 6 races at 8 minutes with a 1 minute break after the 1st, 3rd, and 5th races and a 3 minute break after the 2nd and 4th races. Or we could do 5 races at 10 minutes each with 2 minutes breaks between each race. I don't think we should go down to 4 races. As for pricing, we are paying $1200 for the hour. She also mentioned that if anyone wants to continue racing, they will receive the $15/race rate not the usual $25/race.

As for time, our hour starts at 10am. The facility probably wont be open til 9am or 9:15am, so I think people should be there by 9:30am. She didn't think we could get in any earlier than that since they will be mopping the floors when they 1st open up. I would think you would clean up the night before, but I'm not in charge of a karting facility yet so what do I know. Helmets and neck braces are required and they supply both. Suits are available but not required. I'll just mention that I'll be bringing my gloves as well.

Please let me know about how you want the races setup as I prefer to get it done before we get there.
Old 11-22-2006
Team OC/AD D

I suggest that we either reduce the time lost to turnover by:

1. Reducing the number of races (and increasing the average race duration) or;

2. We bring someone to handle 'car number & driver tracking' duty, and then forego using names with OTK's timing system. So at the beginning of every session, someone will record the kart number of each driver, and will label the results accordingly. That way we can jump in and out of any kart quickly, without having to deal with OTK setting up the timing. They simply start and stop each session, and record the lap times of kart numbers.
Old 11-22-2006
Grand Master

We could get the kart numbers from OTC, pick numbers from a hat and predetermine who drives which kart for each heat. print up sheets with the heats, names and numbers of driver/karts and give them to OTC ahead of time so they can program their software with it.

It would take some up front work but wouldnn't be too bad as long as we know who's showing up.
Old 11-22-2006

sy, i agree on longer races. you think 5 races or 4 races is better? i think 5 for 10 min which leaves 10 min of down time is the best bet. what structure do you recommend?

pat, i think you have a good point i just want to make sure i understand it correctly. you want me to call OTK and get the kart numbers so we can determine who will be in each kart for each heat and just have them run the races without names attached to the karts and we will sort thru the sheets afterwards according to our sheet with the kart number assigned to the person for the specific heat? couldn't we just write down the kart numbers immediately before or after each race? just keep a sheet of paper with columns for each driver in each heat and simply write the kart number in.
Old 11-22-2006
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
sy, i agree on longer races. you think 5 races or 4 races is better? i think 5 for 10 min which leaves 10 min of down time is the best bet. what structure do you recommend?
I think we can squeeze 4 races in of 13-14 minutes, with only 4-8 minutes of downtime. Or 5 races of 10-11 minutes. Either one is fine for me, but generally speaking the less turnover the better. Plus, less tracking paperwork.

Quote:
couldn't we just write down the kart numbers immediately before or after each race? just keep a sheet of paper with columns for each driver in each heat and simply write the kart number in.
I agree. OTK might not be able to guarantee the same karts being in operation as are provided in advance.
Old 11-22-2006
Grand Master

If OTK can tell us which kart numbers we'll be using and we can give them back a list of drivers and the randomly picked kart numbers they'll be driving each heat, they should be able to put that info in their program ahead of time and reduce down time enormously.

Even if there are some last minute changes we'd still be way ahead at maximizing track time.

If each driver has a sheet with the kart number he's in for each heat we can make quick easy transfers.

I'd vote for 10 minute heats.
Old 11-22-2006

There is 1 open spot for the karting event because Paul Bordieri had to drop out. First one to respond gets the spot. Just a reminder: This is for 1 hour of karting at On Track Karting this coming Saturday starting at 10am. The cost will be $80 if we have 15 people.

Also, NickS, what is the name of your guest?
David Casey, what is your son's name?

I am making a sheet and I don't want to write Nick's guest and David's son. Thanks!

Last edited by arig; 11-22-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2006
Grand Master

It's worth mentioning that they use the electronic "low power" feature that kills kart speed during on-track incidents and do not stop the clock when that happens, you just lose heat time.

Since finishing position means nothing and lap times both individual and cumulative are everything, its to our advantage to keep things clean as crashing and spinning (yourself or others) penalizes everyone of track time.
Old 11-23-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

guys I'd like to get in on this is there is room. I know I am responding very late but my schedule just opened up.
Please let me know and thanks guys
Jeff
Old 11-23-2006

Patrick,

Your idea has a lot of merit. If you tell them you need 15 karts, and list the drivers as TJ01 through TJ15, then they don't need to reload the names each heat (I think). Only if a kart goes down will they need to make a change. Someone will have to keep a master list of who is in each kart (TJ01 = #9, TJ02 = #14, etc. for each heat. Of course, if someone turns in a fast time of the week, then they will be listed as TJ13 for example. Check with OnTrack to see if, in theory, they had no drivers changes (of course you will be tracking that) that they could print out 4 or 5 heats worth of tickets. Their system is great but very time intensive.

BTW, even if they are mopping the floors, they should let you guys in to do the paperwork- that could eat up 1/2 hour. although it should only take 10 - 15 minutes

Chris Z

PS - I have a schedule conflict or I would join you - next time you do this I can work on Carl and RB if they are not in FL. If someone talks to Carl, ask him about the kart track that was next to the motel at Pocono around 1982....
Old 11-24-2006
GrandMasterB

While the karts may move right along, the help does not! I'm sure they will insist on all the new guys doing their classroom session.

If you're coming in on 95 from NY take Exit 38 to connect with the Merritt (northbound) and get off the Merritt at Exit 66. Take a left, go 300 yards and it's on your left.

OLDMAN

Last edited by OLDMAN; 11-24-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
While the karts may move right along, the help does not! I'm sure they will insist on all the new guys doing their classroom session.

OLDMAN
How long does that take?
Old 11-24-2006
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
All the more reason to get there early!
Old 11-24-2006

REMINDER:

Karting Event tomorrow at OTK.

Please be there at 9:30am so we can sign forms and be ready to go by 10am. If you need to talk, please call 516-695-7224.

See you there,
Ari
Old 11-25-2006
Bavarian Berserk

Everyone,

It was a great Turkey shootout and it was wonderful too, to meet old and new friends.

Good racing, very clean and sportsman like. With some work, we will get the facility ready for OUR standards, don't you think? Starts, blue flags etc need some help, but other than that I have no complaints whatsoever.

Hope Nick you have some spare ribs BTW - your friend is the most improved and should definitely come back next time. She showed a great learning curve.

Anyone, who wants to know how I could beat OLDMAN by a mere point? Try jamming a Twenty between rollbar and seat so it stays right in his line of vision He will never even try to pass...

Thanks Sy, for beating me to the podium by a lousy thousandth!! And to you Donald for identifying that I have a competitiveness problem - who would have figured?

Pat, thanks for offering me help with one of my uther prblms and very nice meeting young Ms Julia, who did a very fine job in timing and scoring AND with the rewards ceremony.

Congrats to Yuri for figuring out so quickly, that cart #1 was a rocket. However, I have reason to believe it did not really matter.

David G. your right foot must not have been the one you had broken - otherwise, how?

David C. looking good and almost winning the "nice dew dude" award, but thankfully I could beat you with my post race appearance.

Great meeting you, Jeff and Newbie - good luck in LS Ted. I loved (and miss) the pre-holiday Laguna trip.

Doug, always on the job. The only reason I tried to boneheadedly pass you in the no passing zone was that I wanted to make an appearance in your video edit, you will understand.

And most of all thanks to ARI for putting it together - one fine event!

Happy Holidays all.
Old 11-25-2006
Grand Master

Nice rundown Martin.

Great seeing you and everyone. After lunch Ari, Julia and I went back and ran some more. Julia, because of age, had to run in the Jr. races and was fastest by 10 seconds in her first race (with 49's and no competition to speak of) and 3rd in her second race with 48's against some 15yr old boys who knocked out a couple of 44's :-) I nipped Ari by a couple of thousandths in our first heat and he trounced me after changing to the #1 kart but not quite from the time neighborhood Yuri lived in. Neither one of us got close to our best times in the morning session but we had lots of deadwood traffic to deal with in both heats.

Sitting at home now the shoulders, neck and arms are wonderfully sore. Some of that from the flight and landing taken when Oldman thought he saw that twenty in Martin's seat and drove me into the wall leading onto the long straight trying to get to it. Donald said I got so much air he could read the serial number on the bottom of the motor while passing me in mid flight. :-) We're going to have to put a flashing light and loud beeping device on Bob so we know when he's coming and going. (only kidding Bob)

Doug got some great in car footage and Julia shot some from her perspective so there may be something fun to see at some point.

Ryan, our rules reader/track manager already wants a DVD to play on the track's wide screen TV.

Too tired to mention everyone as Martin did but great seeing and playing with everyone. Lets do it again some time.

Lots of good holiday fun. Bravo and Brava!
Old 11-25-2006
Team OC/AD D

Great to see all of you guys again today - it was GREAT fun. A big thanks to Martin for the great write-up, and a big one to Ari for setting it up and going the extra mile with all of the gifts at the end. You are a prince.
Old 11-26-2006
GrandMasterB

Pat:
That wasn't me, Nick and I had traded helmets prior to that race.

OLDMAN
Old 11-26-2006

So, I finally just got home and like everyone else prior, I had a great time. I just wish that for next year I manage to pick a karting facility that wants and lets their customers race I think we all knew we were in for an interesting day when the guy who did the drivers' briefing told us that they wanted us to go into Turn 1 by ourselves(no side by side action).

As Pat mentioned, we went back and had some more fun but being a glutton for punishment I continued to do 3 more races and got to run the #1 kart, which was very fast and somewhat scary to drive after driving the other karts. Julia did a great job, both on and off the track, easily beating every other junior racer out there while constantly learning the track, the line and how to improve her lap times and proving that she's no dummy by deciphering the timesheets.

As for everyone else, I'm glad you all had a good time. It was a lot of fun to "time race" with y'all. Special thanks to Julia and Martin for spending all that time trying to calculate the overall results and not caving in to the desire to fudge a small number so Martin could beat Sy. Bob, thank you for bringing the Dunkin Donuts and coffee, it was a nice gesture.

One more thing, I need to thank everyone for helping to start out my wonderful day that finally ended when the Scores bouncers kicked my friend and I out at 4am at closing time. I highly recommend going karting all day, then finding time to get some good massages while watching the stage. And all without spending more than $40, well after karting at least.

Til the next time we all meet to try to put each other into the soft walls...
Old 11-27-2006

Hi,

For those who have run at Boston F1 and other tracks, what did you think of the layout at OnTrack? I thought it is a great track to drive, but could use a little more work to make it a great racing track. Funny, sometimes plain ovals are more fun to race on, while road courses are more fun to drive on, so you need a little of both.

On the other hand, my friend who races karts says unless we have lots more HP, no kart track is really that good.....

Chris Z
Old 11-27-2006
GrandMasterB

It doesn't need faster karts, it needs a place to pass. On the positive side it's more than 100 miles closer than F1 or Racing America, and on Tuesdays it costs $15 to go around for 10 minutes.

It's not the best, but it's far from the worst. I had a fun time Saturday even if Pat did put me into the wall in turn 3. I forgot where Doug almost tipped me over. I hope he has it on tape.

OLDMAN
Old 11-28-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

I had a great time too. It was wonderful to see some that I knew and meet many others. Thanks for letting me be a part of it. Not certain who "tapped" me into the wall but it was tons of fun. Hope we all get the chance again soon
Old 11-30-2006
administrationistperson

Videos OTK Karting Video

Here's a first cut of Saturday's karting at OTK... Thanks again to Julia Daly, our on the spot archivist, scorekeeper and video news crew all rolled into one, thanks for the video clips! I understand she tried her hand at kart racing after lunch and showed some locals a thing or two....hehe

Karting Video - 4:42 min

Last edited by cdh; 11-30-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2006
Grand Master

So OLDMAN actually came up with the big payment to have his multiple indiscretions expunged from the record eh...

Great editing work Doug. Love the helmet cam and the music. Many smiles and Thanks!
Old 11-30-2006
administrationistperson

Videos More Kart Klips

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
So OLDMAN actually came up with the big payment to have his multiple indiscretions expunged from the record eh...
Well, not exactly, I take a big hit at the end of the karting footage, ouch daddio

I added a few more clips - 1:04 min - one Sy Classic

Last edited by cdh; 11-30-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2006
Grand Master

Holy Cow... You hit the wall so hard that in the slo-mo version you can actually see the camera have a flash-back for a few frames in the form of a winged race car going by!

I'd have thought you put those in for effect except that I've seen that happend before with big hits. The impact lifts the tape off of the erase/record head for a few milliseconds and whatever is on the tape shows up briefly. It's an eloquent mechanical version of "seeing stars" memory loss. In this case your camera is "seeing cars".

Wonderful mock curmudgeonly OCD mugging moment Sy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Well, I take a big hit at the end of the karting footage, ouch daddio

I added a few more clips - 1:04 min - one Sy Classic

Bookmark This Thread