Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Site Announcements, Support & Help > Site Announcements & Support

Old 09-14-2004
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Exclamation New User Titles - Please Read

To continue and diversify the vibrant growth of the forums, I'd like to see more of the 'lurkers' actively participate. One way I can do this is to restrict users with low post counts (less than 3 for example) from viewing certain forums. Replies will count as posts.

I was thinking of allowing users without sufficient posts to view and post in the Pictures & Videos forum only. When they've reached enough posts, then they can see the others.

What do you think?
Old 09-14-2004
Coaching little league
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: Users will soon be restricted if they don't post - feedback requested

You're kidding, right?

:tomahawk
Old 09-14-2004
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

How about something in between....

Like next to their name it says "Bum Looker" (ala Simon from SNL years ago...), or their avatar is a scarlet "L", until they reach the proper threshold. I wouldn't restrict them from looking.

I would though like to know everyone's name. Can you make it a requirement that they submit their real name to the administrator?
Old 09-14-2004
Team OC/AD D

Re: How about something in between....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
Like next to their name it says "Bum Looker" (ala Simon from SNL years ago...), or their avatar is a scarlet "L", until they reach the proper threshold. I wouldn't restrict them from looking.

I would though like to know everyone's name. Can you make it a requirement that they submit their real name to the administrator?
I'm not kidding, but not sure if I really want to do it. The problem with putting a 'scarlet letter' on a non-poster is that the only place you see the scarlet letter next to the member's userid is in the member's list. Who cares about that?

We have 42 members out of 90 who haven't made any contribution to the site other than enjoying it. I'd like to motivate them to do so. How, though? I'm up for suggestions.

Of course, some of them aren't allowed to post, but that's something we can give special dispensation to.

And, users are not required to provide names right now. It's something that I can do, but then I'd have to enforce it by checking.

Please give me your thoughts.
Old 09-14-2004
Coaching little league

I don't think that you should obligate people to participate...seems like a recipe for disaster. Also, "Freedom of Speech" is different than "we have ways to make you speak".

Most forum-centric websites typically have more lurkers than active participants. The challenge is to convert them into active participants by offering a venue with articulate, thoughtful exchange of ideas, opinions and conversation. To the extent that trolls dominate baiting other posters, participation would decline. It's up to the moderator(s) to police the site.

The camaraderie that we all treasure from our experiences with SBRS and expanded beyond that cannot be forced...or else it's lost.

JMVHO...

Old 09-14-2004
Flying Mantuan
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Thumbs down Re: Users will soon be restricted if they don't post - feedback requested

that's kookie talk
Old 09-14-2004
Thumb-alina

kookie talk

Hey Sy.. perhaps you struck a chord, and Tom was right. You found something to get Nuvo to talk! First post! Not very articulate, but hey... it's a start!!
Old 09-14-2004
Team OC/AD D

Tom, you make some very good points and a lot of sense. Maybe we'll leave it alone.

And yes, we did get Tazio ('Nuvo'lari) the Lurker to come out, didn't we? Tazio, are you involved in the skippy scene in any way - employee, racer etc.? It's no problem if you aren't, but I'm just curious - your profile says that your 'just a fan' but I'm not so sure...
Old 09-15-2004
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Have a "Who's Online" list that breaks out members into posting participants (Drivers), and non-posting participants (Spectators)
Old 09-15-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Have a "Who's Online" list that breaks out members into posting participants (Drivers), and non-posting participants (Spectators)
I don't think I can do that without doing some serious hacks to the system. I'll check. I like the idea.
Old 09-15-2004
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Bad idea to force posting. Back in 1996 I found a Boxster Board (excellent) that was so helpful in getting answers to questions I had, and I didn't post anything on it for months, I just wanted to read all the posts and gather information. After a while I posted a few questions and worked into it at a level I was OK with.

I think a lot of people might feel intimidated to post right away, but as they get more comfortable with "this place" they will begin to participate.

Let others get used to the site, the posts and the characters here and you will end up with more regular posters.

Just my 2 pennies.
Old 09-15-2004
Team OC/AD D

ok, ok.... you people win.
Old 09-15-2004
Grand Master

Sy,

Wait! Wait!

CDH has it right... however...

If you're still considering the incentive program, why not take a page from Oprah's book and get BMW to give away new M5's to every member who posts at least once a day for a year. Now that would get the job done! :-)

The higher percentage choice is keeping focus on relevant forums and content that light up and engage members to dialogue and sharing of themselves. There is always going to be an ebb and flow of active and lurker members whose time and interest vary. If you ask the right questions and post compelling content, good things will continue to happen...

Guess I picked the wrong week to give up my Oprah tickets, eh?
Old 09-15-2004
Coaching little league

Re: My idea was vetoed (title changed)

One thing that some other forums do is offer "titles" based on participation; you've chosen to allow participants to modify their own title (thus my "Old guy next year"). Other forums try to use titles as a "status symbol" (though one could argue that a higher ranking underscores one's need to "get a life"!)

If you wanted, you could revert back to the assigned title regimen based on level of participation - "rookie" (say 1-10 posts), "veteran" (10-50 posts), "front runner" (50-250), "race winner" (250-1000), "champion" (>1000), "legend" (special circumstances) - or something like that. In addition, if someone registered and didn't yet post - I liked "moving chicane"; if someone visited often but didn't post often (<1 post per week or month) - "lurker" or "lapped traffic"; etc. etc. You could come up with different titles for different situations.

Just a thought...if it's important to you...

Old 09-15-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Sy,
CDH has it right... however...

If you're still considering the incentive program, why not take a page from Oprah's book and get BMW to give away new M5's to every member who posts at least once a day for a year. Now that would get the job done! :-)
I hear she gave away 286 Pontiacs @ $24K apiece, which Pontiac paid for. That Oprah is ugly (and the bane of all men), but she isn't stupid, is she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk
If you wanted, you could revert back to the assigned title regimen based on level of participation - "rookie" (say 1-10 posts), "veteran" (10-50 posts), "front runner" (50-250), "race winner" (250-1000), "champion" (>1000), "legend" (special circumstances) - or something like that. In addition, if someone registered and didn't yet post - I liked "moving chicane"; if someone visited often but didn't post often (<1 post per week or month) - "lurker" or "lapped traffic"; etc. etc. You could come up with different titles for different situations.
I just did it. The system we use has 2 different title you can do automatically. So I just set the 2nd one up to be the same as the first. I'll tweak the new titles later. I like your new names more than mine.
Old 09-16-2004
Team OC/AD D

Ok, I made the changes -

I've got:

Moving Chicane - 0-1
Rookie 2-9
Mid Pack Racer - 10-49
Front Runner 50-99
Podium Material - 100-249
Race Winner - 250-499
Championship Contender - 500-999
World Champion - 1000+

Also, in addition to the new 'ranks', they still have the old user titles. But I've changed them to:

Other Sports Beckon - 0 Posts
Member - 1+ Posts

Of course they can still change their titles (not their ranks though). How do you guys like it?
Old 09-16-2004
Team OC/AD D

Exclamation New User Titles - Please Read

You'll notice that we've changed some of the user titles. We've added a new ranking system in addition to the old user title system. So now all users that have registered but that still haven't posted will have 'Other Sports Beckon' as their user title. When they make their first post, it will change to 'Member". You can also change it manually by going into your 'User CP'.

The new ranking system also gives you a rank based upon the number of posts you have made. The schedule is:

Moving Chicane - 0-1
Rookie 2-9
Mid Pack Racer - 10-49
Front Runner 50-99
Podium Material - 100-249
Race Winner - 250-499
Championship Contender - 500-999
World Champion - 1000+

The names and post numbers are still a work in progress. So if you have any suggestions (constructive please...) then let us know.
Old 09-16-2004
Grand Master

Re: New User Titles - Please Read

How about "Spectator" instead of "Moving Chicane"
Old 09-16-2004
Coaching little league

Wow - I was just making a suggestion in order to address your desire to "insent" people to post without mandating it...

Sy - you have too much time on your hands!

Old 09-16-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk
Wow - I was just making a suggestion in order to address your desire to "insent" people to post without mandating it...

Sy - you have too much time on your hands!

This application is really amazing. It took me less that an hour total to do the changes. Tom, how do you like them?
Old 09-16-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
How about "Spectator" instead of "Moving Chicane"
Not bad. Maybe 'Spectator' for 0 Posts, Moving Chicane from 1 to 5, Rookie from 2-25, and then Mid-Pack Racer to 49. What do you think?
Old 09-16-2004
Thumb-alina

All I know is...

I am gonna post till I get to 249... them no more posting till I actually win a race. I would be thoughroughly embarassed to be a race winner here but not where it counts!
Old 09-16-2004
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
Not bad. Maybe 'Spectator' for 0 Posts, Moving Chicane from 1 to 5, Rookie from 2-25, and then Mid-Pack Racer to 49. What do you think?
Ba da bing - Ba da boom, or as Starsky used to say, "Do it.... Do it...".

Must ask, what is "Moving Chicane"?
Old 09-16-2004
Thumb-alina

What is a Moving Chicane?

A chicane is a diversion in a racetrack. There is one at Lime Rock after the Uphill which is only used in the SB series once a year (August). There is also one at Watkins Glen, called The Bus Stop.

The chicane is a series of quick turns.. both of the above are right, left, right. It is designed to slow cars down. Either to make the race more interesting, or more safe.

A Moving Chicane is a slowpoke driver whom the faster guys need to drive around!

More info than you wanted? Anyone with more knowledge going to correct me?
Old 09-16-2004
Grand Master

Re: What is a Moving Chicane?

"A Moving Chicane is a slowpoke driver whom the faster guys need to drive around!"

That's the piece I didn't know. Hhmmm which leads me to think, if you have to ask, you probably are one... (Dohh!..)
Old 09-16-2004
administrationistperson

Re: New User Titles - Please Read (Threads Merged)

click hear
Old 09-16-2004
Grand Master

LOL Doug... thank you :-)
Old 09-17-2004
Bavarian Berserk
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Finally time to post again, ahh -feeels gooood.

Ok what do we got? Sy has gone nuts. I am out of the country for a week and the man loses it.

It is really a big big surprise to me and all others that Sy's number of posts is rewarding him as a "winner". BIIIG coincidence. Did you guys know that Sy is also an excellent archer? Bullsweye every time. Oh yeah, he paints the target around the arrow AFTER the shot.

And then we have Michael. He struggles. Not only with seniority and age but also with inferiority. So the poor guy is obviously willing to do EVERYTHING for a win - no matter where. Has anyone noticed that it took Auriemma 57 posts to come up with a content that is slightly more complete than a headline?

The whole purpose of this cannot be to appeal to more competitiveness when it comes to just swamping the forum with cerebral fallout. Unless of course it is in the trash talk section.

I liked CDH's observation of this boxster forum. A forum is also a place to listen. So let the listeners listen!
I also like tomahawk's idea of a rewards model. But I would suggest using the qualitative rating system (stars) rather than just counts.

I will reserve further comments for additional posts as long as the current rewards system persistis.
Old 09-17-2004
Bavarian Berserk

Chicane is French for "slow down". Please refer also to W. Irvines bestseller "Useless wisdom for three-day students"
Old 09-17-2004
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Just posting to see what my count number is.
Old 09-17-2004
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkmama
Did you guys know that Sy is also an excellent archer? Bullsweye every time. Oh yeah, he paints the target around the arrow AFTER the shot.
I didn't know that but it does explain this pic.....

Old 09-17-2004
"low eyes and slow hands"
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Why not restrict the updated F1 girls section to the no posters...
Old 09-17-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldonjc
Why not restrict the updated F1 girls section to the no posters...
That would be considered 'cruel and unusual' punishment, don't ya think? I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies!
Old 09-17-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkmama
Finally time to post again, ahh -feeels gooood.

But I would suggest using the qualitative rating system (stars) rather than just counts.

I will reserve further comments for additional posts as long as the current rewards system persistis.
Are you saying that you're not going to open that big mouth of yours (figuratively) again unless I remove the new rating system? Hmm....

Seriously, got any better ideas? Or at least some better 'ratings'? I can do # of stars instead of textual titles, by the way. In the meantime, I've realized that I can't stand 'race winner' as a title, so I'm going to change it.
Old 10-22-2004
Team OC/AD D

New Ranks - I changed them a bit.

Skippy Mid-Pack Runner (>10 Posts)
Skippy Front Runner (>50 Posts)
Skippy Podium Regular (>100 Posts)
Skippy Hot Shoe (>250 Posts)
F1 Backmarker (>500 Posts)
F1 Mid-Pack Runner (>1,000 Posts)
Old 03-31-2005
Team OC/AD D

I'd like to add a new title level in between 10 and 50 posts. Any ideas? Or any ideas on changes to existing titles?

Existing ladder:

Skippy Mid-Pack Runner (>10 Posts)
Skippy Front Runner (>50 Posts)
Skippy Podium Regular (>100 Posts)
Skippy Hot Shoe (>250 Posts)
F1 Backmarker (>500 Posts)
F1 Mid-Pack Runner (>1,000 Posts)
Old 03-31-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

48 and counting
Old 03-31-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

49 and counting
Old 03-31-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

some people will do anything to be a front runner. my plan is to be a hot shoe by tommrow
i love you guys but.you see where this can lead.
Old 03-31-2005
Grand Master

(0 posts) = Skippy Spectator/Groupy
(<10 posts) = Skippy Wanker
(<25 posts) = Skippy Peanut Butter (chunky style)
(<50 posts) = Skippy Skid Harder (Candidate)
(<100 posts) = Skippy Illiterati In Training
(<250 posts) = Skippy Wide Mouth BS-er
(<500 posts) = Skippy Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
(<1000 posts) = Skippy Skid Harder Illiterati (Certified) With No Benefits or Health Plan
(over 1000 posts) = Skipicalifragilisticexpialidocious
Old 03-31-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgersid
some people will do anything to be a front runner. my plan is to be a hot shoe by tommrow
i love you guys but.you see where this can lead.
Sid, you.... ....

Pat, your ladder is hysterical. I'm gonna use some of them, the OCD one for sure!

Last edited by sydude; 04-01-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2005
administrationistperson

Quote:
(0 posts) = Skippy Spectator/Groupy
(<10 posts) = Skippy Wanker
(<25 posts) = Skippy Peanut Butter (chunky style)
(<50 posts) = Skippy Skid Harder (Candidate)
(<100 posts) = Skippy Illiterati In Training
(<250 posts) = Skippy Wide Mouth BS-er
(<500 posts) = Skippy Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
(<1000 posts) = Skippy Skid Harder Illiterati (Certified) With No Benefits or Health Plan
(over 1000 posts) = Skipicalifragilisticexpialidocious
Howling at these so great DD.........

I think the Over 1000 post should be:

"put down the mouse and walk away from the computer, things will be OK, really..."

Old 04-01-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Howling at these so great DD.........

I think the Over 1000 post should be:

"put down the mouse and walk away from the computer, things will be OK, really..."

Dude, you have no idea how badly I need to put that in. I'm obsessed with this stupid board. HELP!!

I found this hack which is really cool, but there's no way I'm gonna put it in - we're all going to bug out about how much time we spend here::

Quote:
This hack keeps track of how much time a user has been online at the forums and adds it to the information in any of his posts, then any other user can see if you have been 1 hour, 5 hours, 1 day or even up to years online at the forum.

Also this hack calculates an "average time online" in a very similar way to how the average posts works.
Old 04-01-2005

Put it in!!!! Put it in!!!
Old 04-01-2005
Grand Master

Sydude Sez:

"This hack keeps track of how much time a user has been online at the forums and adds it to the information in any of his posts, then any other user can see if you have been 1 hour, 5 hours, 1 day or even up to years online at the forum.

Also this hack calculates an "average time online" in a very similar way to how the average posts works."

Data collection is usefull in evaluating your performance in the car as a racer. But on this website?

Do you really want to know how much time you spend monitoring and particpating in your irrational passion? That would be like adding up all the dollars you've spent on Skippy racing? What's the point except for self abuse or for ammo for others to abuse you?

Then we'd have to start the TJR twelve step program and open a clinic, go on Dr.Phil and Oprah, it all gets very messy.
Old 04-01-2005
Team OC/AD D

- sorry Jim!
Old 04-01-2005

There goes my shot to get on Oprah...
Old 04-13-2005
Team OC/AD D

In anticipation of my up coming 1,000th post (hey, now it's 999!) I've modified the ranking ladder. I made a new level at 25 posts, and moved everyone up one level. So if you were a Podium Regular before, now you're a Hot Shoe.

Spectator (0 Posts)
Moving Chicane (<5 Posts)
Rookie (5+ Posts)
Skippy Mid-Pack Runner (10+ Posts)
Skippy Front Runner (25+ Posts)
Skippy Podium Regular (50+ Posts)
Skippy Hot Shoe (100+ Posts)
F1 Backmarker (250+ Posts)
F1 Mid-Pack Runner (500+ Posts)
F1 Front Runner (1000+ Posts)

But I'm still bored of the ranks we have from 10 and up. I'd love to use Pat's (they're hysterical) but...

So, I'm still lookin' for ideas here. I'd like to replace the whole Skippy X Runner/F1 X Runner thingie with something else. One idea is to use icons instead of titles, for example, each level could add a star, have an escalating level of race car image (R/T, then Atlantic, then F1 etc.)

Thoughts?
Old 04-13-2005
Grand Master

Great idea. I like the car imagery over the word labels.
Old 04-13-2005
Team OC/AD D

I agree. Will you guys think about what kind of cars and levels? We need to have at least 7 cars, and they need to be distinctly different so you can make out the differences when they are small little images.

Bookmark This Thread