Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 08-27-2004
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Lap Timers

While researching lap timers a few months back I came across (and purchased) the XT Racing Ultra-Lap. It had some interesting features and capacity over the AIM MyChron I see most people using, that I thought were worth sharing.

The Ultra-Lap has an auto-on feature that starts and identifies a new session when you cross the start/finish beacon. You don't have to think about setting or starting a new session. (you set a default number of no-lap-recorded minutes that automatically ends your previous session)

You can create a stored track list so you simply select a track name from your list at the start of the day and forget it.

The receiver uses a AA battery for power instead of flat cell batteries and has a percentage read out that tells you, at all times, how much power remains in the battery.

It will record multiple split times per lap when multiple transmitters are used. The Ultra-Lap transmitter has a switch (Start/Finish & Split) that changes the pulse frequency. The timer recognizes the different frequency and records each non-start/finish frequency as a split time. The start/finish frequency is the same as the Aim MyChron timers so there is no compatability problem. Either a MyChron transmitter or an Ultra-Lap transmitter set to start/finish frequency will trigger both brand of timers at start/finish. (They claim the Ultra-Lap transmitter puts out a stronger signal than the MyChron with an auxillary 12v battery)

The Ultra-Lap unit records the time and ambient temperature at the start of each session and has a memory capacity of approximately 2,000 laps. (two thousand)

Their newest feature is a user changable cable (20 inch or 6 footer) that can be easily swapped out for a change of vehicle type or if the cable gets damaged.

They also have a software download package that lets you transfer and print up lap info. It's only PC compatable. (I'm all Mac... bummer)

I ordered mine from Randy Wells at US Superbikes performance parts. I've used it three times for lap times at LRP and its been perfect so far. (Don't have multiple transmitters so haven't tested the split feature yet)

Randy is at US Superbikes
http://www.ussuperbikes.com/default.aspx?ProductID=68

You can also get them directly from Ultra-Lap but they charge a bit more so as not to undercut their distributors.
http://www.ultra-lap.com

Randy said he could discount his price further if there was a group order.

My reason for presenting this:
(No I'm not involved with the company or geting a piece of the action :-)

First, the Ultra-Lap timer seemed to have better features at a similar or lower price than the Aim MyChron timer.

Second, on lapping days and special lapping sessions like the upcoming Glen event where lapping and split times are left to our own devices, (literally) if 3 or more of us were using the Ultra-Lap we could pool our transmitters and place them around the track for accurate multiple split times. Since a MyChron transmitter could be used at Start/Finish it wouldn't take too many converts to have a nice compliment of instantaneous split times for each lap.

Separate transmitters are about 90 bucks apiece.

So... tawk amoungst yourselves and... discuss.... The merits of investing in a different timer and pooling transmitter resources so as to know, to the hundredth of a second, how slow you are going at numerous specific points around a track... hhmmm?

PS... Anyone else out there using or had experience with the Ultra-Lap? I haven't seen any others around yet but my research base has been limited to LRP.

Last edited by dalyduo; 08-27-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2004
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: XT Racing Ultra-Lap timer that will record splits

Sounds pretty good. The Aim will do splits also though. I have the Aim, but would certainly think about the XT if I needed a new one.

The big question for me would be how easy is it to use? I have been using the My Chron all year and still can't figure the damn thing out. Neither has any one else I have seen using it!
Old 08-27-2004
Grand Master

According to the Ultra-Lap folks their splits method is better than the Aim method because they use a different transmitter frequency for splits. They say the Aim timer has to treat a split time as a lap within a lap because the beacons are all the same. Having never seen either one in split mode I have no idea whether one method is really superior over the other. In theory it makes sense but in practice it may not be that big a deal. That's why I'd like to find someone else with an Ultra-Lap transmitter so we can try it out.

In terms of ease of use... I'm no tech-wiz and it took less than an hour to figure out the instructions and set the whole thing up. The most tedious part is chugging through the alphabet for each letter of your personal identification info and the track names, but you only enter that info one time and you're done. It retains that info even when you change the battery. The manual is simple and clear, and once you've figured out the menu sequence it's very simple. I'll have it with me at The Glen and can demo it for anyone who wants to see it. For me the biggest inconvenience is not being able to download data into my laptop. I have to transcribe lap times by hand because I use a Mac, but transcribing gives me more time to relive each session. :-)
Old 08-31-2004
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

A few of us have the new Mycron Light TG which does all of the things the Ultra-Lap unit does. It has new transmitters that are especially made for doing splits ($35 each?), is super easy to use (it's 'auto-on') and is completely compatible with previous systems. See this link here for more info on it.:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...hread.php?t=15

Here are some pics of it:

Relative size:

Lap Graph:

Track Selector (you input your own):

Old 08-31-2004
Grand Master

Thanks Sy,

It looks nice. What's the price point? I paid $217 for the timer/receiver and one transmitter. I don't think word of the new MyChron was out when I bought the Ultra-Lap back in March. It would be nice if those new MyChron split transmitters were compatible with the Ultra-Lap but I won't hold my breath. Have you invested in multiple transmitters? ($35 per transmitter is a lot more attractive than the $90 Ultra-Lap)
Old 08-31-2004
Bavarian Berserk
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

This looks like a great device. It looks cooler and the te additional features are nice ot have.
However I might have refrained from publishing a picture that shows "LRP" and "1:03,10" on the display.
Old 08-31-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkmama
This looks like a great device. It looks cooler and the te additional features are nice ot have.
However I might have refrained from publishing a picture that shows "LRP" and "1:03,10" on the display.
I'm really quite surprised how long it took you to notice that! I knew when I took the picture you'd slam me, but a month later? And just so I can retain a SMALL amount of pride, it was a CHICANE layout lap time.
Old 08-31-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Thanks Sy,

It looks nice. What's the price point? I paid $217 for the timer/receiver and one transmitter. I don't think word of the new MyChron was out when I bought the Ultra-Lap back in March. It would be nice if those new MyChron split transmitters were compatible with the Ultra-Lap but I won't hold my breath. Have you invested in multiple transmitters? ($35 per transmitter is a lot more attractive than the $90 Ultra-Lap)
I think Roger from Victory Lane Data's gonna jump in on this one, but I remember paying $249. I didn't buy any split transmitters, but I should have. And by the way, if you have VirtualPC you can run the data logging software on the Mac.
Old 09-01-2004
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
I think Roger from Victory Lane Data's gonna jump in on this one, but I remember paying $249. I didn't buy any split transmitters, but I should have. And by the way, if you have VirtualPC you can run the data logging software on the Mac.
I'll have to pick up VirtualPC and then sniff around to see if the MyChron split transmitters use the same pulse rate as the Ultra-Lap. Once again... Thanks Sy
Old 09-05-2004
"Knowledge = Speed"
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Retail on the MyChron Light TG's is $249. We sell them for $236 and for anybody mentions this forum when ordering before October 1st, I will ship UPS Ground for free.

As I understand it, the split beacons are not yet available but the are getting close. I do not have much on the split beacon details but if you want some more info, I can get some.

The TG is a laptimer only and I am wondering... if we could get a function or 2 added to this platform, what would you like to see in addition to the Laptiming function?

Speed
RPM
1 Temp

Also, these units are available in a battery powered (3v) and a 12v model.

Thanks!

Roger Caddell
www.victorylanedata.com
Old 09-05-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataguy
Retail on the MyChron Light TG's is $249. We sell them for $236 and for anybody mentions this forum when ordering before October 1st, I will ship UPS Ground for free.

As I understand it, the split beacons are not yet available but the are getting close. I do not have much on the split beacon details but if you want some more info, I can get some.

The TG is a laptimer only and I am wondering... if we could get a function or 2 added to this platform, what would you like to see in addition to the Laptiming function?

Speed
RPM
1 Temp

Also, these units are available in a battery powered (3v) and a 12v model.

Thanks!

Roger Caddell
www.victorylanedata.com
Thanks for jumping in here, Roger. I have a function request that may already be implemented through a software update: the old Mycron would do a 'running' laptime until you crossed the beacon, where it would then hold your elapsed time for the lap for only a few seconds. The new unit only holds your lap time for the entire lap until you cross the beacons again. I'd like to have the ability to choose between the modes - the 'running lap time' is a good tool for seeing your elapsed time at certain points on the track, sort of a pseudo split time. The other mode is simpler and allows you to glance down any time during the lap to see what your time was.

The problem with the features you suggested is that we are driving Skippy's cars. We also share cars with others, switch in and out of different cars often, etc. and therefore can't wire up any sensors to the car. Are there any functions (other than temp) that can be done onboard to the unit without any external hookups?

Thanks

Sy
Old 09-05-2004
Thumb-alina

Elapsed time is critical. I use it extensively as a pseudo split timer. I wouldn't buy a timer without it.
Old 09-06-2004
"Knowledge = Speed"

Quote:
Thanks for jumping in here, Roger. I have a function request that may already be implemented through a software update: the old Mycron would do a 'running' laptime until you crossed the beacon, where it would then hold your elapsed time for the lap for only a few seconds. The new unit only holds your lap time for the entire lap until you cross the beacons again. I'd like to have the ability to choose between the modes - the 'running lap time' is a good tool for seeing your elapsed time at certain points on the track, sort of a pseudo split time. The other mode is simpler and allows you to glance down any time during the lap to see what your time was.

The problem with the features you suggested is that we are driving Skippy's cars. We also share cars with others, switch in and out of different cars often, etc. and therefore can't wire up any sensors to the car. Are there any functions (other than temp) that can be done onboard to the unit without any external hookups?

Thanks

Sy
I understand your "Running Laptime" issue and will look into it.

I also understand the problem (or lack of need!) of other data being gathered in your type of racing, I have quite a few customers racing the same class on the west coast. Just thought I would see what you folks thought.

Thanks,

I will get back with you soon.

Roger
Old 09-06-2004
Grand Master

Thanks for your input and offer Roger,

I'd love to know if the MyChron split beacons will use the same frequency as the Ultra-Lap split beacons. (I don't know if Ultra-Lap and MyChron share this info willingly or not... ) It would certainly be an advantage if they were compatible.

FYI to Sy and MJ - The Ultra-Lap allows you to decide the number of seconds the previous lap time is held on the screen before reverting to the elapsed time of the current lap being run.
Old 09-06-2004
"Knowledge = Speed"

Quote:
Thanks for your input and offer Roger,

I'd love to know if the MyChron split beacons will use the same frequency as the Ultra-Lap split beacons. (I don't know if Ultra-Lap and MyChron share this info willingly or not... ) It would certainly be an advantage if they were compatible.

FYI to Sy and MJ - The Ultra-Lap allows you to decide the number of seconds the previous lap time is held on the screen before reverting to the elapsed time of the current lap being run.
I don't know (yet) if the MyChron split beacons will use the same freq...

Don't quote me but I think the split beacons will have multiple freq that will raise the chances that they match the Ultra-Lap system while allowing the users to have the splits were they want them when running at the same time as other MyChron users.

Older MyChrons also had the feature of allowing the user to define the time the laptime stayed on the screen. They did it to make sure the other info gathered by the system (speed, temps, rpm) would become visable for the driver.

The TG is only a laptimer so I agree that the option of a momentary display of the laptime (user definable) would be a good idea.

Thanks!

Roger
Old 09-11-2004
"Knowledge = Speed"

Quick update...

It looks like (not 100% certain but very close) they will be adding the "Running Time" lap display that some of you want to see and it should be out for testing in the next week or so.

It may not be a full size of the screen display but we will have to see.

I still do not have any info on the split beacons but when I do, I will post it here.

Thanks!

Roger
Old 10-12-2004
Team OC/AD D

Roger just got the data cables for the Mycron Light TG unit. FYI.
Old 12-19-2004
"Knowledge = Speed"

Just a quick update. You asked for it and you got it!

The AiM TG laptimer will now display a running time. With a simple free firmware upgrade (You will need a up\download cable) a feature asked for here in this forum has been added.

Here is a link to the firmware:

http://www.aimsports.com/Italy/downl..._TG_041217.exe

If you need any more information (or help!) contact me.

Roger Caddell
Victory Lane Data
www.victorylanedata.com
Old 12-19-2004
Thumb-alina

Power to the people!

Roger thanks for participating in our forum, and for taking our suggestions to heart, (and engineering!). Hopefully, you will find this as valuable an exchange for you as it is for us!

Let us know next time you have a product on the drawing board!!
Old 12-20-2004
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Sy,

Are the firmware upgrade and the cable compatible with a Mac or do I need to use a pc?

thanks,

Jim
Old 12-20-2004
Team OC/AD D

I got the download cable and data acq software for it, but my VirtualPC for the Mac is only Windows 98, which has a problem with their software.

I believe if you have Windows ME, XP or XP Pro on Virtual PC it will work. But again, you do have to have Virtual PC. It won't work on a native mac just by itself. I'm going to upgrade my operating system today or tomorrow and I'll try it again and let you know. Once I get it running you can use my cable if you only want to upgrade your firmware.
Old 12-20-2004

Excellent. Thanks! I do have virtual pc and XP. I think I'll give it a go as well. I think I'll try to get a cable and the data acq software. I would like to play around with it. Let me know if you get it to work. Did you get the cable and software from Roger or did you use a generic usb cable?
Old 12-20-2004
Team OC/AD D

Don't buy the software and cable yet - I'll bring mine in today and you can try it to see if it works. I got mine from Roger, it's a special USB to mini-plug cable.

BTW, I also bought two split transmitters from him, so we're going to have triple split times next year! Woohoo!!
Old 12-20-2004

You are the man... Split times. Excellent. Michael better watch out!!!!
Old 12-20-2004
Thumb-alina

Yes... I better watch out Jim... cause with splits you will know exactly where I am screwing with you!

Now I'll have to pedal all the way around the track!
Old 12-21-2004
"Knowledge = Speed"

Glad to see that you are all looking forward to using your laptimers next year!

I did mean to get back on here and let everybody know that the "Split Beacons" (orange so nobody will get them confused) do actually run on a different freq and if you tell your TG laptimers how many are out there you will get split times. If other do not wish to get splits, just leave their gauges configured as they are.

The split beacons also will not do anything to any of the other AiM equipment running on the track although the next generation of AiM products will recognize the split beacons.

Also, I do have the TG download cables if anybody else wants them.

Roger Caddell
Victory Lane Data
www.victorylanedata.com
Old 12-21-2004

Michael, I am naming this to be the year of "Race Craft".

Either that or I m just going to consider significant and repeated nose cone crash damage a normal racing expense...
Old 12-21-2004
Thumb-alina

If they want to increase the size of the Champ group... rather than combining it with Expert, they could let Champs run with National rules!

Nosecones beware!!

Looking forward to perfecting our 'craft JC!
Old 12-21-2004

I am looking forward to it as well! I have to admit, I have a lot of work to do there...

I agree 100% re: National rules. I bet by the end of the season, we would have enough crash damage parts to almost make a complete car!
Old 12-21-2004
Grand Master

Hey Roger,

I just spoke to the XtRacing folk and they say their split transmitter frequency is about 57 khz. How does that match up with the Aim split transmitter frequency?

Thanks,

Last edited by dalyduo; 12-21-2004 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-28-2004
Team OC/AD D

Yes! After installing XP, I just got the Mychron Light software to work perfectly with the Mac using Virtual PC. It's sweeeeet!
Old 12-29-2004

Excellent! Glad it worked! I'll look into that.
Old 12-29-2004
Grand Master

That's great Sy,

I'm still waiting on Roger re: "I just spoke to the XtRacing folk and their split transmitter frequency is approx. 57 Khz. How does that match up with the Aim split transmitter frequency?"
Old 01-04-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
That's great Sy,

I'm still waiting on Roger re: "I just spoke to the XtRacing folk and their split transmitter frequency is approx. 57 Khz. How does that match up with the Aim split transmitter frequency?"
I just got the answer back from the owner of Aim Sports, and to paraphrase him, he said "Why should I tell you?!"

Looks like we'll just have to try it out. Will you first be at Sebring, VIR or LRP?
Old 01-05-2005
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
I just got the answer back from the owner of Aim Sports, and to paraphrase him, he said "Why should I tell you?!"

Looks like we'll just have to try it out. Will you first be at Sebring, VIR or LRP?
Thanks Sy,

I'll be at LRP for sure, not sure about the other tracks yet but I'll keep you posted. Any thoughts on an LRP clinic in the spring?

Thanks for relaying (I'm assuming) Roger's kurt dismissal. The obvious reason for him to tell us would be to sell more transmitters. If he can't figure that out, or at least be civil about it, I'll make sure I take him off my preferred vendors list.

Id like to invite an expert at XT Racing to join the thread and offer a more informed voice on the design benefits and use of the ultra-lap for current users and new reader/racers on the verge of choosing a timer. I'm interested in awareness and education rather than a, "Mines better than yours" discussion.

Pat

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-05-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Thanks for relaying (I'm assuming) Roger's kurt dismissal. The obvious reason for him to tell us would be to sell more transmitters. If he can't figure that out, or at least be civil about it, I'll make sure I take him off my preferred vendors list.
No, no, no. It wasn't Roger at all. The guy who said no was the head of AIM Sports, which Roger doesn't work for (Roger's a dealer). Roger's a good guy in our books .

And by the way, the smilie you used wasn't the 'bye bye' smilie , that was the 'talk to the hand' one.
Old 01-05-2005
Grand Master

Thanks for the clarification Sy,

Didn't mean to besmirch you Roger. You have been very service oriented and responsive to the TJR folk. You're preferred vendor status has been fully restored. Too bad your supplier isn't as friendly as you are.

And the Aim guy that Sy talked to can still

Yes Sy, I was pointing ( better still Aiming) that "talk to the hand" smilie at the Aim guy who stiffed you because you don't yet have a "Kiss my Ass" smilie.
Old 01-05-2005
Team OC/AD D

You mean this one?!

I'll add this one and a few other funny ones soon.
Old 01-05-2005
Grand Master

LOL Perfect!
Old 01-27-2005
Team OC/AD D

If any of you guys want to have triple split times at Sebring you'd better go out and get yourself a Mycron Light TG. I'm bringing my two new split beacons with me.
Old 01-27-2005
Grand Master

If we discover, (no thanks to the Aim sports weasel who stiffed Sy's inquiry) that my XT Racing Ultra-lap switch-able beacon is compatible with the mycron split beacons, (We do know the start/finish beacon is compatible) then we can have QUADRUPLE SPLIT TIMES at Sebring. Not a bad thing at so large a track.

If anyone else is using an XT Racing Ultra-lap timer please let us know, so we can pool split beacons if they are not compatible with the Mycron.

Thanks,
Pat

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-27-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-27-2005
Grand Master

I just spoke to Matt at XT Racing. He's happy to answer any questions about Ultra-Lap products.

E-mail mhill@xtracing.com
Phone 877.398.6237
Old 01-27-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
I just spoke to Matt at XT Racing. He's happy to answer any questions about Ultra-Lap products.
Doesn't he have any idea if they are compatible? Since the Ultra-Lap is compatible with the AIM transmitter, they must have developed it that way on purpose. It can't possibly be a coincidence that they both operate on the exact same frequency. So he should know if they also copied AIM's split beacon frequency as well.
Old 01-27-2005
Grand Master

I believe The Ultra-lap start/finish frequency was chosen with Aim compatibility in mind, but their separate split frequency was chosen and manufactured well before Mychron changed from using the start/finish frequency as a split beacon and then created the new single frequency split transmitters that your Michron Light TG now uses.

So Aim has been chasing Ultra-lap in having separate split frequencies and the ability to set the number of seconds each lap is held on screen before reverting to the real time of the lap being run.

The question turns out to be whether Aim figured out the Ultra-Lap split frequency and made themselves compatible. Given the response you received from the head of the company, I would tend to doubt it.
Old 01-27-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
The question turns out to be whether Aim figured out the Ultra-Lap split frequency and made themselves compatible. Given the response you received from the head of the company, I would tend to doubt it.
I doubt that also. I suggest that you sell your Ultra-Lap on eBay (you should get almost what you paid for it) and get a new Mycron Light TG.
Old 01-27-2005
Grand Master

I like my Ultra-Lap timer and the people at XT Racing that I've dealt with. I'm inclined to stay with them and encourage converts. The Ultra-Lap is cheaper, with features at least as good as the Mychron and they are a small, friendly responsive company.

I know it would be convenient if we all had the same timers, but when I bought my Ultra-Lap its features were far superior to the Aim product and I'm inclined to support them. They were innovative and raised the bar at a lower price. Now their bigger older competitor would like to bury them.

As long as it performs reliably, I'll stick with the Ultra-lap. Anyone care to join me? :-)
Old 01-27-2005
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Quote:
I like my Ultra-Lap timer and the people at XT Racing that I've dealt with. I'm inclined to stay with them and encourage converts. The Ultra-Lap is cheaper, with features at least as good as the Mychron and they are a small, friendly responsive company.

I know it would be convenient if we all had the same timers, but when I bought my Ultra-Lap its features were far superior to the Aim product and I'm inclined to support them. They were innovative and raised the bar at a lower price. Now their bigger older competitor would like to bury them.

As long as it performs reliably, I'll stick with the Ultra-lap. Anyone care to join me? :-)
My Brithday is comming up. Hint Hint
Old 01-27-2005
Grand Master

LOL Nice Try... KW It would make a very nice birthday gift though. Better print up the previous post and leave it out somewhere anavoidabable. :-) Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2005
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Oh well, can't blame me for trying. I decided to purchase Phobos MyChron...couldn't let a deal like that pass me by.
Old 01-28-2005
Grand Master

Looks like Phobos gave you your birthday present. At that price, I'd have done the same thing. Enjoy!

Bookmark This Thread