Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 06-12-2007
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Tremblant Track Guide?

Does anyone know where to get a track guide for this beauty? my first race weekend is in 6 weeks and I'd love to find some tips. thanks
HJA
Old 06-12-2007
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: Tremblant Track Guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandprixmania
Does anyone know where to get a track guide for this beauty? my first race weekend is in 6 weeks and I'd love to find some tips. thanks
HJA
Welcome aboard, there are track maps in the Stuff / Links section and a van around with 12 Hours of Sebring and Rolex 24 overall winner Jim Pace in the same section under Reference Lap Videos & Van Around Videos
Old 06-13-2007

Thanks CDH. the van ride is neat but wouldn't it be nice to have somthing faster? I'll bet youtube has some good stuff. I would love to find a website that has track notes for Tremblant as well as racing lines. I can't wait for my first Skippy race. they'll assign me a mentor so that should calm the nerves..
Old 06-13-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandprixmania
Thanks CDH. the van ride is neat but wouldn't it be nice to have somthing faster? I'll bet youtube has some good stuff. I would love to find a website that has track notes for Tremblant as well as racing lines. I can't wait for my first Skippy race. they'll assign me a mentor so that should calm the nerves..
You can't beat instruction from someone like Jim Pace - for additional video go to the video page link above, there are Tremblant race videos to look at....keep clicking!

Here is one that I thought was in Juicy, I was wrong

Tremblant Race 6:56 - please excuse my driving mistakes....
Old 06-13-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Hi HJA,

As you watch the Jim Pace van-around video and CDH's video, keep another factor in mind --- elevation changes. In-car cameras are always at a constant angle relative to the track and so tend to reduce the impression of up and down (as opposed to a camera that remained horizontal).

Some things to know: (a) as you cross the start/finish and head into the first turn, the track goes down, (b) at the first turn-in, the track goes sharply up, (c) at the first apex curbing (where JP says "Clip it here ...") the track begins a fairly steep descent all the way until Turn 3 and continues a bit downward to Turn 4, (d) the track remains relatively flat until just past Turn 8 (a slow right-hand corner following a long straight -- it's the one where JP says to compare tach readings and pick your inside or outside line accordingly) when there is a pretty good rise that crests at what is called Turn 9, (e) the track goes down as it heads toward Turn 10 and goes down again at Turn 11, (f) the track goes up significantly at the approach to Turn 12 (under the bridge), and the hill can be used for some braking effect, and (g) the track goes downward and then sharply up just before the hairpin, which is called Namerow and numbered Turn 14, where the downshfts are aided by the uphill compression.

I point these out so that you have some sense of what effect the elevation changes have on the gears and pedal inputs. You will see better when you arrive and have a van around.

Welcome, and I look forward to seeing you at MT.
Old 06-13-2007
PodRunner

My question is Tremblant vs Lime Rock. Which should I do? I haven't been to either.
Old 06-13-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodRunner
My question is Tremblant vs Lime Rock. Which should I do? I haven't been to either.
For what it's worth, there are some drivers (and some of them are very experienced with excellent car control) who will not drive at Lime Rock due to the track's lack of forgiveness. Crash damage is a far greater possibility there than at Mont Tremblant (but your mileage may vary). Others have talked about the great flow of Mont Tremblant. On the other hand, Lime Rock is quaint and has some neat features, not the least of which are the Uphill and the Downhill.

Seeing as how this topic is really a thread hi-jack, perhaps CDH or DD could arrange a new thread for the debate over LRP v. MT. As for me, I will be at both, but would probably omit LRP if I were limited to just one of them.
Old 06-14-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie
For what it's worth, there are some drivers (and some of them are very experienced with excellent car control) who will not drive at Lime Rock due to the track's lack of forgiveness. Crash damage is a far greater possibility there than at Mont Tremblant (but your mileage may vary). Others have talked about the great flow of Mont Tremblant. On the other hand, Lime Rock is quaint and has some neat features, not the least of which are the Uphill and the Downhill.

Seeing as how this topic is really a thread hi-jack, perhaps CDH or DD could arrange a new thread for the debate over LRP v. MT. As for me, I will be at both, but would probably omit LRP if I were limited to just one of them.
I am doing exactly that this season, LRP - no, Tremblant - yes. For the past several seasons I found it was cheaper to drive the 7 hours to Canada than the hour and twenty to Lime Rock (my home track) because the potential for damage is so much less. Total CD at Tremblant over past 6 years? $400. LRP? $6000.........done.

Lime Rock is a fun place, it's challenging, beautiful, has good restaurants and usually a big turnout. I like the place but feel I have done enough laps there, and compared to the Tremblant circuit........well, there is no comparison

Ted, we need more thread starters - always feel free to begin a new thread, why wait for us to do it?

Last edited by cdh; 06-14-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-14-2007
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Lime Rock's setting is beautiful and unusual in that all the spectator areas are grassy slopes and there is nothing commercial within miles of the track. The roads leading to it are winding two lane country roads with an old stone church across the street from the main straight. It's an amazing natural setting for a race track. Totally unexpected.

The track itself is deceivingly fast and difficult. I believe it has the highest average lap speed of any track we race on. It challenges you to learn it's nuance to go fast yet also stay out of trouble. As mentioned previously runoff areas are tight so mistakes can be costly. For a driver it's physically, mentally and emotionally challenging. When you do well at Lime Rock you feel like you've accomplished something.

Tremblant is a majestic world class destination resort ski mountain. The physical beauty of the location is off the charts with a big gorgeous lake at the bottom of the mountain and every kind of accomodation from high end luxury to simple economy in both lodging and food.

The track is privately owned and underwent a complete renovation a few years ago that has made it safer and smoother yet wonderfully fast, long and challenging. There are many fewer places to ring up crash damage than Lime Rock (Though I did manage to find one and leave my mark there last year. )

Don't know if it's still there but I wrote a review in the track listings on TJR a while back saying if you only had one Skippy race weekend to attend in your life it should be Mont Tremblant. (yep... still there. Here's the link http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...N&page=2&pp=10 ) The company probably sends the largest instructor group of any event and every Skip Barber racer is either there or wishes he or she could be. It's the one location you can bring a small or large family to and they will never want for things to do.

Lime Rock is the ultimate drivers challenge in a natural setting while Tremblant is a destination vacation location with a long world class road course in its back pocket.
Old 06-14-2007
administrationistperson

Videos Re: Tremblant Track Guide?

OK, I found some clips from Tremblant. This is from 2005, Divina Galica driving against Capt Wally Bohren in the Divi/Walt Grudge Match. If you are unfamiliar with the race and want to hear the story, this is the chapter from the banquet video

Divi / Walt Grudge Match - 8:08

For the unedited clip, laps 10-12, including THE PASS see link below. This shows the line (sometimes defensive), gear selection, etc. for complete laps. Begins just past start/finish

Mont-Tremblant Laps with Divi - 5:54

Thanks to Mike Marino / Helix incar videos for the excellent tapes.

Last edited by cdh; 06-14-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
I believe it has the highest average lap speed of any track we race on.
yes, our one Roval

Also, LRP beats you up, very physically demanding.

You were right Ted.......oops

Bookmark This Thread