Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions
View Poll Results: Should HANS devices be mandatory in Skip Barber events? If yes, how?
Yes, they should be required. Everyone should buy their own. 34 24.46%
Yes, they should be required. Skip Barber should buy a bunch and lend them to new racers just like they do with helmets. 63 45.32%
No, They should NOT be required. They're effective, but it should be the driver's choice. 41 29.50%
No, They should NOT be required. They're not effective. 1 0.72%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedbac

I would venture to guess I wear my harnesses as tightly as anyone out there. I roll my shoulders down before I cinch the belts, makes for a very snug fit. And, I do indeed tighten on straights.

The only time the harness slipped off my HANS was when I purposely loosened them to try to avoid the pain!

As for discomfort, I recognize that only Donald and I complain, but trust me, this is not my imagination.

As I said, I'll try again at VIR, and would appreciate any other suggestions.

As for the Isaac, you can refer to my previous posts...
Old 03-21-2005
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

Alright, I'll admit it, I use a nylon strap to keep my HANS on. As MJA knows, I have had trouble keeping the straps from slipping off. I have used the HANS for two seasons and have tried all of the suggestions for keeping it on (tug/slip, tighten/slide forward, tighten on straights, etc.). No matter what I do, the strap occasionally falls off my right shoulder. Even when it is on tight, I worry about whether it will fall off in a crash, especially one that is partially sideways. Much to MJA's (justified) horror, I have taken to using a nylon strap that clicks together like a backpack strap. The straps have never slipped off since.
The obvious downside is that if I need to get out of the car quickly, I have one more thing to release. Yes, I've repetitively practiced reaching for the clip to get it off and I still check it and the belt release everytime before heading out onto the track. Plus the nylon strap actually will slide down and off when everything else is released.
Is this a good solution? Clearly not. But I prefer it to taking the risk that the HANS will fall off either in a race forcing me to come in, or worse in a crash. I don't recommend a life of drugs and violence to anyone either, although it has always worked for me.....
Old 03-21-2005

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

On the comfort issue: As most of your wives know, I have a bone that sticks up on my right shoulder. I separated my collar bone in a motorcycle accident many moons ago. The HANS digs into the bone when it is cranked tight. My philosophy on that is oh, well. I am going to wear a HANS and I am going to wear it as tight as possible. In any event, I do not notice it on the track, which is the big difference between my discomfort and MJA's agony.
Old 03-21-2005
Thumb-alina

That is only one minor difference between your discomfort and my agony... but that is the subject of your next hit song, not a post.
Old 03-21-2005
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: Try it... you'll like it. Or maybe not.

Just a little FYI

I have heard rumors that Impact will have a new restraint entering the market w/in the next 6 months or so. I'm sure that whatever it is, it will give the HANS some quality alternatives. Just something to keep an eye on.
Old 05-06-2005
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

I just got my new Hans in. I went for the Cheapo version, it was maybe $400 cheaper, but it weighs 1 gram more or something. For poeple reading this, the cheap version IS NOT fiberglass. Mine is the Economy version and is nicer than most older styles I have yet to see. It is the Economy series, model 20. I chose the model 20 because of all of the different type of cars I drive/race. I had to sit up 2.8 degrees more for it to be comfortable in the Skip car. It seems to be a great all around choice. It has the new "lips" On the shoulder piece that keep the belts on great. A much needed change. The back helmet support seems higher as well for when I back the next one in.... I am glad to see it getting cheaper. I have 2 thoughts.
1-They should be $400 so every club/short track racer can afford one.
2-Hans did their homework, and they should be rewarded with the end pricing...

Anybody who thinks about buying one should go ahead and thank yourself later..... My 2 cents..
Old 05-06-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Good info Mopar,

It's great that they've addressed the belt slippage issue.

There is absolutely no functional or structural integrity difference between the (lighter) Pro model HANS and what they call the "Economy" model. The Pro-model is 5 or 6 ounces lighter because it is 100% carbon fiber whereas the economy model is a mixture of carbon fiber and other heavier resins. No one at HANS will try to sell you the Pro model as being safer or stronger than the economy model. If 6 ounces makes a difference to you and you have the money, then you have the choice. Beyond that it's high end status play.

* Mopar 92 mentions that the model 20 works well for him because he uses it in different types of cars (the 20 model is for more upright production based cars. The 30 model is recommended for Skippy cars and the model number represents seat angle.) You can go to this link http://hansdevice.com/s.nl;jsessioni...=5&category=30 on the HANS web site and see which model is right for your needs.

There aren't really any good arguments for not getting one and the best argument for getting one is peace of mind for you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92
I just got my new Hans in. I went for the Cheapo version, it was maybe $400 cheaper, but it weighs 1 gram more or something. For poeple reading this, the cheap version IS NOT fiberglass. Mine is the Economy version and is nicer than most older styles I have yet to see. It is the Economy series, model 20. I chose the model 20 because of all of the different type of cars I drive/race. I had to sit up 2.8 degrees more for it to be comfortable in the Skip car. It seems to be a great all around choice. It has the new "lips" On the shoulder piece that keep the belts on great. A much needed change. The back helmet support seems higher as well for when I back the next one in.... I am glad to see it getting cheaper. I have 2 thoughts.
1-They should be $400 so every club/short track racer can afford one.
2-Hans did their homework, and they should be rewarded with the end pricing...

Anybody who thinks about buying one should go ahead and thank yourself later..... My 2 cents..

Last edited by dalyduo; 05-06-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2005
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

Exactly. They did not try to sway me one way or the other. A no pressure buying experience is nice. As for the 6 oz or whatever, no way can I, or Michael Shumacher tell the difference between 6 grams or probably even 2 lbs once the belts are tight, that 6 oz is GONE. I could see if it were on your head, like 6 oz is a big deal on a helmet...That I can see. Whatever it is, I am happy with it and the ease of use. Toting it around is a bit different. I need a new driving bag. My 2 suits,and all my gear is like putting a marshmellow in a coin slot..
Old 05-19-2005
Infrequent Flier ;)

Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedbac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92
Toting it around is a bit different. I need a new driving bag. My 2 suits,and all my gear is like putting a marshmellow in a coin slot..
Take the Paul Albert approach
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-05-14_044.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	385  
Old 07-06-2005

Gallery Images: 2

i voted to make it mandatory. i did my 1st race at lrp in may. during practice, i crashed into the tire wall at west bend at good rate of speed backwards. for that whole weekend and for a few weeks after that, my whole back and lower neck hurt a lot. my back hurt on either side of my spine when even i stretched or compressed the back muscles or did any type of lifting. when i crashed, i was using a skip barber helmet and thus no HANS device. after that crash and being so lucky from not getting seriously injured, i went into DI and bought a helmet and HANS device which unfortunately I couldnt get for the races. I was able to use the HANS for the next race at the Glen. I unfortunately was behind someone who spun and couldnt get past and hit the tire wall at turn 11 hard again. i was wearing my HANS and i contribute no soreness or pain of any kind to the use of the HANS. I never could have imagined racing ever again without using the HANS. however, i was forced to race without one at the Glen a couple of weeks later at the invitational b/c my helmet got cracked when hit by a rock. so i had to use a skippy helmet with no HANS anchors. i actually thought about using my cracked Arai so that I could use a HANS, although i was talked out of using a cracked helmet by Jim Pace when he told me the racing gods would find the crack somehow.(haha) anyway, looking back i'm still shocked that there was no one at the Glen that could install HANS or sold helmets with all the pro racers there.

ok, so i went off point a little, but my point is that HANS should be mandatory. it just looks bad for a governing body if a driver gets seriously injured or dies, if there was a safety device that could have prevented the injury. i would think that with all the safety that skip barber tries to push on the drivers, they would do this. but then again i have seen a bunch of drivers wearing skippy single layer suits without nomex underwear and with regular sneakers during race weekends.
Old 07-16-2005
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Dear SBRS Participants,

I have just signed up as a member of Team Juicy to hear and learn more about the needs of the racer. I am the owner of Driving Impressions and have enjoyed a long relationship with the school since 1987 as a sponsor.

Regarding the Hans Device, over the past 10 years we have had about 3 fatalities at LRP, one during a SBRS weekend and I feel this may have been avoided thru use of the HANS Device. A few years back we lost Adam Petty who I personally knew and was in the helmet I provided him. My heart sank that Friday afternoon when he passed away at New Hampshire. You must understand for me this is my business and also my passion. I take everything personally about what happens to people and how things might have been prevented but the most I can do is educate the customer and let him or her make their choice. I will continue to do my best to learn about the products on the market and convey this information to you.

Every year I go to Italy twice a year to visit the suit, helmet, seat and belt factories to help develop products or the future but understand that even with the best equipment THERE IS NO GUARANTEES!!!

Back to the Hans, I realize that this is very expensive. We do offer them at the store. Maybe we can do a rental on this item for the weekend where it could be shared between two drivers on a race weekend. Please let me know your thoughts.

Sincerely,
Robert Zecca
Old 07-18-2005
Grand Master

Bob,

Many thanks for sharing your personal experience and heartfelt thoughts regarding the HANS device. Having them available for rental or shared rental could only be a good thing for all involved.

First, it would offer those who don't expect to do a lot of racing an economical way to protect themselves on an individual basis.

Second, it would allow those who are on the fence about purchasing a HANS to try one out for a race weekend and learn first hand how easy they are to wear.

Third, it could be a huge incentive for more drivers to try out and purchase HANS devices if the cost of rental is reasonable (shared or not) and could be applied to the purchase price if they decided to purchase it.

Your suggestion is a terrific idea because it supports drivers to try a HANS device in an economical way that (to my knowledge) has never been done before, and helps them make the decision to invest in one.

I can't see a down side to improving sales at Driving Impressions if that sale involves the rental or sale of a HANS device.

Thanks again,
Pat Daly
Old 07-19-2005

Dear Pat,

I have more 30me devices coming in today but they are all taken. I should have more in about 4 weeks. I will alot 2 for rental and post when they will be available. Our store is located at Lime rock but I am sure we can try to do this nationally. I will keep you informed.

Thanks,
Bob Zecca
Old 07-19-2005
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Bob, that's great news. The obvious next question is, what about the helmet? Skippy's helmets aren't equipped with HANS clips, so you will either have to provide rental helmets, a clip installation service or clips with instructions for a self-install. I think these options are all do-able.

And finally, maybe you can work a deal with Skippy to allow you to install HANS clips on all of their helmets and then provide them with HANS devices so they can in turn rent them out to students and racers?

Sy
Old 07-19-2005
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

Guys,

I like the HANS rental idea. But, please, someone figure out how to make sure the nice people or companies that rent it out to drivers are not liable in any way to the drivers that rent. As long as there is a written understanding, much like the understanding between the manufacturer and the purchaser, I think its a great idea. (Only in America does one need to consider this bit of silliness.)

Also, drivers should probably pay to have the HANS clips installed permanently in their helmet. Once those holes are drilled, the clips should stay.

My $0.02

Cheers,

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 07-19-2005
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

I second Gerardo's thoughts.
Old 07-20-2005

Dear Members,

I have ordered more of the 30ME models in which we will allocate a few for rentals. The only way this is going to work is if you already own your helmet and have the anchors attached. The anchors cost $55 plus installation of $25 whereas the Hans is $1,135.00
If you are serious about racing you should own your helmet and know that it is safe. A helmet could drop, hit the ground and cause internal damage that is not visible to the eye.
I hope to have them in about 4 weeks and then I will post a message regarding availability and we can go from there to see how this works. I will have all the details at that time. In the meantime if anyone has any questions, feel free to call me at 1-800-275-4667.

Sincerely,
Robert Zecca
Old 07-20-2005
Thumb-alina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zecca
If you are serious about racing you should own your helmet and know that it is safe. A helmet could drop, hit the ground and cause internal damage that is not visible to the eye.
For that reason, and to avoid damaging your schnazzy paintjob... I always 'suggest' to people not to rest their helmets on pit wall. You frequently see helmets precariously perched on top of places from which they could easily fall. Bad idea boys!
Old 09-12-2005
Martin Zimmerman

Do Not require HANS. You can still wear an Open Faced Helmet. YIKES.

I have one, use it every time I get into the car.

Just got my HANS this year, a time or two to get it installed right. I am tall, 6' 2", with 'short' legs. Short is a 33" inseam. My seat postion is three from the front. Dr. John gave me some advice, tighten the belts, pull forward, tighten again, pull forward, tighten again. Works well for me. Three or four times; tighten, pull forward.

Sort of like Arm Restraints, if you have never been in a roll-over, you do not know what you are missing. Having been flipped at IRP some years ago, my hands 'slapped' my face several times, while I was going over & over & over. Yikes. Skippy does not require arm restraints.

How tight are my belts. If I do not Squeal they are not tight enough, then make them tighter. Most injuries are from Flopping Around in the car. My Engineering Degree brought that last comment on. Dr John's broken finger, knee caps, etc. And by the way Dr. John, I still carry those BIG Gloves with me, because YOU NEVER KNOW.
Old 01-07-2006
Team Flying Randalls

I think they should be required - - and I think Skip Barber should provide them for new drivers in their first year of the race series, then after that the driver must purchase their own - - just my $.02

Steve
Old 05-04-2006
All Heart, No Money

As a person who at this point participates in one race a year purely due to the cost I have considered a Hans device but have not purchased one.
There is a combined reason for this. At Sebring in February this year and last, there were more people without the Hans than with. Being new to this sport this was saying to me that it would be nice to have one but it is not a necessity. Since this is a rare injury, only the guys who are out there multiple weekends are the ones who really need to worry about it.
And, there is that price tag of $1,000. I use skippy suits and helmets so now I'm looking closer to $2,000 to get set up for a once a year event.
If helmet restraints were required, SB would not have a choice but to purchase Hans or R3's or both. If left to the racer to purchase there would be a dramatic reduction in first timers coming into the fold. With the amount a race weekend cost an additional $25 or $50 wouldn't even be noticeable. I agree with Michael about requirements or laws that must come strait from insurance company lobbyist aimed at protecting us from ourselves or worse yet, an insurance claim. When it comes to this issue, the death of Dale Earnhardt overshadows any insurance companies concerns or any amount of advertising for Hans with public opinion as to why anyone would not wear one. More often than not, when the subject of racing comes up, people ask me if I wear "one of those helmet things so your head doesn't come off". (I live in Fairfield county CT were all autoracing is thought of as backward &NASCAR. I guess they figure my family is from Alabama so thats why I race. Much better than being associated with canoe trips and banjos.) These are people who have very limited exposure to the sport to say the least and even they are talking about it. It would be in the best interest of SBR to voluntarily require helmet restraints reinforcing their commitment to safety. I think it would be as effective a marketing tool as it is a smart piece of safety equipment. And as much as my ego would not like to admit it. When it comes to my new found love of racing, I am that wobbly two year old looking over the edge of the dock. Any new and improved life preserver will be a welcome addition should I loose my footing.
Old 05-05-2006
Team Flying Randalls

grady192 wrote "Being new to this sport this was saying to me that it would be nice to have one but it is not a necessity. Since this is a rare injury, only the guys who are out there multiple weekends are the ones who really need to worry about it."

Hey Jeff - - I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more - - being a newbie myself I understand the cost thing, but it only takes one incident before it becomes to late - - after that "Boy, I wish I would have . . . " is meaningless. Your personal safety equipment (helmet and Hans device) should be the very best money can buy - - I'm going to be wearing SKip's driving suits for a while too, there is an advantage to that, you can get a clean/dry suit everyday .

Best of luck to you, hope to meet you at a track in the future.

Steve
TFR
Old 05-05-2006

Steve, although I agree with you about it taking just one accident to injure yourself, you are wrong about using skippy suits. they are a single layer suit. i don't know what the suit is made out of but i don't think it's nomex. you would be much better off by getting yourself a good suit that is 3 layers or a puma 2 layer. i know i didn't buy my sparco suit just b/c it's looks nice and also so i could have my own suit. 3 layer suits protect a lot better than a 1 layer suit.

i do want to add that although i'd rather have the hans over a 3 layer suit, i still prefer both.
Old 05-05-2006
Team Flying Randalls

I agree, the driving suit is important - - and I'll be in the market soon - - I'd be surprised if the SB suits aren't Nomex?? but I don't know, I wear Nomex underwear under the driving suit so I figured I had 2 layers of protection anyway - - - I wonder if they've ever had a RT2000 catch fire??

Thanks for the input,
Steve
TFR
Old 05-05-2006
All Heart, No Money

Life is choices, Not chances.

Steve,
My fingers were interpreting what my brain was saying and there is allot of room for interpretation in there.
The point I’m trying to make is that participants going into their first race weekend (I think) are unlikely to purchase a helmet and Hans. If it is a part timer (again my opinion) I don’t think they will run right out and make the purchase immediately following the weekend either and this is why.
SB says just show up. We will provide you with everything you need less shoes and gloves. You go to your 3 day and get a Helmet w/no Hans. Go to your ADV 2, again helmet no Hans. Get to the track for your first weekend, same thing. You look around and some people are wearing them, most are not. (Than there is MA who just base jumped off the grandstand)
Given SBR's emphasis on safety, are they not implying that this is a piece of equipment that is not necessary to keep yourself safe on track?
Your first experiences in the car are going to be some of the most memorable. You’re learning something new, dangerous and something you have probably wanted to do your whole life. You’re going to remember this stuff !
When I learned to ride bulls, vests were as much a part of the equipment as your boots and rope. For me, climbing onto the back of a bull with no vest would be like climbing into a car with no helmet. The vests significantly decrease the number and severity of injuries in that sport but even after the death of Lane Frost who was bull ridings Dale E. people who had been riding without them continued to do so for years.
If the goal is to get everyone wearing helmet restraints than they should be introduced in the schools as just another piece of equipment that you don’t get into a car without. If there is a small increase in the cost for schools and weekends to cover SBR’s investment I think it will be easily offset by the knowledge that someone knows they’re getting the latest and greatest in safety equipment and put SBR in front of the curve.
Old 05-05-2006

Grady,

I think you are trying make the argument that the hans is not important b/c skippy does not discuss it or provide it. that's wrong. you need to understand that skip barber is a business. i have asked the question, "why doesn't skippy require or provide hans?". i was told that it is an insurance liability if they require the hans device. if you closely at what you need to run a race weekend with skip barber, (this is from memory b/c i can't find a rulebook) nomex is not required it's actually highly recommended. the person who gave me the answer about the hans claimed that if they require a hans device be worn and the driver crashes and the hans fails, skip barber would be liable as well. i don't know the truth about that but that is what i was told. and this was with 3 instructors at the table.

in my opinion, you shouldn't race cars if you can't accept the consequences of a crash. drivers should wear all the safety equipment available to them. the way i think about safety and injury in racing is like this: if i am using all the safety equipment that is available to me or that i can buy, there is nothing more i can do. so i just forget about it b/c i know i'm wearing everything there is in existence that will protect me in the event of an accident.

however, you should understand that my 1st race weekend, i wore a skippy helmet and suit with nomex underwear. i crashed hard going in reverse at lime rock during practice. my neck was very sore but i was still able to race the next day. well, i was ready to race 30 minutes after i got cleared my medical but that's b/c i'm crazy. anyway, i ended up buying a helmet and hans at the track that next day. the shop didn't have the hans so i didnt wear it till the next weekend. i didnt get a suit until my 3rd or 4th weekend.

as i am one of those folks who didn't have all the safety equipment when i started and i know that was the wrong thing to do, i will bluntly tell people that they should wear a hans all the time. i think that even if skippy just had all their helmets fitted with hans anchors the problem would be solved b/c there are enough skippy racers who would loan out their hans to others to use.

i dont mean to go off on you or anything like that, it's just that 1st time racers are probably more likely to need a hans than some more experience drivers out there.
Old 05-05-2006
All Heart, No Money

arig,
not at all trying to make that argument. Was just trying to point out how some folks may put off buying one. I also agree with you on us newer guys being more likely to test a hans than an experienced driver which is why I thought it would be a good idea to introduce them in the schools so that wearing one would be automatic.
Old 05-05-2006

i dont think it has anything to do with making people used to wearing a hans. it has to do with the availability of people to wear a hans. if skippy equipped there helmets with hans anchors, then the beginners wouldn't need to purchase the hans, they could just borrow one. i would be more than happy to lend my hans to a newbie so he could run the race weekend safely. i understand that after over $5k on the race schools. you finally arrive at the race weekend and spend another $3500 or so, you don't want to go out and spend another 1100 to buy a hans. and people shouldn't be expected to make that kind of equipment investment until they decide they want to stick with the sport and that they can afford the sport. that's why a rental service would be much better. i'm taking back my previous statement about the idea of borrowing hans b/c it would get annoying to the people who own the hans to continue to lend them out. maybe we just came up with a business venture.
Old 05-07-2006
All Heart, No Money

Count me in.
I'll be the first customer.
Old 05-23-2006
Mission Possible

Gallery Images: 4

I got 1, had to adjust the straps a tad, other than that, hopefully I will never have to really utilize it. Long story short, how much is your time here on earth worth to you?
Old 06-05-2006

As a new member of the Skippy fraternity I'd like to add my two cents please. I just completed my first race weekend at Watkins Glen and brought with me my new HANS device. Expensive yes. Worth it...I believe so. I owe it to my kids and grandson to be there for a long time. I can hug them with a broken arm or leg, not a broken neck.
I think all racers who attend Skip events should be required to have the HANS clips installed either in their helmets or the ones made available to them through the SB organization. If they need them installed I agree SB should for a fee be willing to provide a service to install them prior to the event. Additionally I'd like to think SB could purchase 12 of them and make them available for a fee to those who drive in their events. Someone once told me early on if you have a $12.00 head buy a $12.00 helmet. The HANS device in my opinion is equally applicable.
Old 06-05-2006
Team Flying Randalls

Welcome from another recent newbie - - I agree 110% as stated earlier in this post - - - it's just not worth it not to use the very best equipment available and most other race series agree - -

again, welcome, see you at the track

Steve
Team Flying Randalls
Old 06-05-2006

to me wearing the best safety equipment puts my mind at ease. racing is inherently a dangerous sport but knowing that i have every piece of safety gear i can get my hands on, i know there is nothing more i can do.

btw, watkins glen is a great track to be your 1st.

Welcome to R.A.

Last edited by arig; 06-05-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2006
Team OC/AD D

Here's a telling piece from an ex-Skippy racer (Pete Olson, 2005) that had a very bad accident in Asia in a Formula Renault while not wearing his HANS device:

OLSON IN MASSIVE FORMULA RENAULT TESTING ACCIDENT
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

For Immediate Release
January 5, 2006

Zhuhai, China – American race car driver Pete Olson celebrated New Year’s 2006 at 35,000 feet on a 747 over the South China Sea, on pain medication due to his massive high-speed crash in Formula Renault testing at the Zhuhai International Circuit just 48 hours before. After hauling 20 kilos worth of race gear across the infamous 1000 meter-long border crossing from Zhuhai to the exotic city of Macau to catch his plane, despite his bruised body, Olson was content to relax on the Eva Air flight and chat with the friendly stewardesses who have seemed to have taken a liking to the racing champion.

Olson has made quite a racing debut in Asia - through victory at Shanghai’s Formula One [F1] Circuit to the demons of his terrifying accidents in Connecticut, USA last July [Lime Rock Raceway, article], to a high-speed accident at the Zhuhai Circuit just a few days ago, despite the pain and the sacrifice, Pete Olson has shown a steadfast determination to reach the top in what is considered one of the highest-level auto racing series in the world: 280kph/174mph Formula Renault, the series that has launched several racing drivers directly from Formula Renault into F1 and Indy.

However, in what can only be called significant irony, just four years ago to the day, Pete Olson’s younger brother Matt died tragically. Olson said “If there is someone watching over me, it’s Matt. He has always been there for me, and always will be. He has taught me that there is nothing to fear.”

This statement from Olson gives insight into a driver that is characterized by some, such as legendary Skip Barber ex-Indy professional racers, as “Incredibly talented, but on the ragged edge”.

Just prior to his huge crash at the Zhuhai International Circuit, Olson once again gave a demonstration of “The Right Stuff” with his “Rain King” rain racing skills that have already become legend in the Taiwan racing community: In a South China downpour, the California native was more than 10 seconds a lap ahead of the second-fastest driver, more than a half a lap ahead of the rest of the pack, and dicing with the French National Formula Renault Champion [who had taken a Formula Renault out to compete with Olson’s astounding rain lap times] when disaster struck.

Olson lost control of his race car at over 200kph/124mph in one of the most difficult corners of the circuit.

“The new regs [regulations] require a Hans device [neck restraint as used in Indy/F1] for Formula Renault races” said the highly aggressive driver. “But, they don’t require one for practice. I figured it was no big deal…until I was spinning out of control at a couple of hundred kilometers an hour…I knew I would hit bad, and I knew there was nothing I could do about it. I remember I thought ‘Oh, s*#@, this is gonna hurt.”

Olson’s car impacted sideways in the high-G accident, crushing the left side pod and suspension, which snapped his neck to one side and caused mild spinal damage which resulted in the loss of feelingto the left side of the driver’s body for several days and left a permanent black scar on his ribcage.

In addition, in shades of 3-time F1 Champion Aryton Senna’s tragic 1994 accident, one of the front tie rods punched into the cockpit to stop just inches from Olson’s ribcage.

However, the next morning Olson was back in a race car at the ZIC. “I found that hot showers and warming up the muscles helped” said the aggressive racer in typical brash understatement. “The next day I realized the value of the Hans device – 40kph faster I heard I could have snapped my neck, or worse, be crippled and not able to race anymore. But there’s nothing I can’t handle in a race car. I had to drive all right hand, right side muscles the next day after the accident. But I figure I should drop the US$1,000 for the Hans neck harness. It’s worth it to prevent something like a neck problem that would prevent me from getting back in the cockpit.”

Quite a statement from the hot shot American driver who seems to put racing before anything else.

Olson was recently featured in the press yet again, in his college alumni magazine’s article called “Fast Company” [link]. It seems he lives for speed, despite his recent close calls.

Formula Renault is without a doubt one of the most exciting race cars ever built. With recent power upgrades, the exotic and aggressive-looking race cars reach a top speed of 280kph/174mph [photos], and 0-100kph [0-62mph] in 3.0 seconds. Formula Renault racing is the proving ground for the most highly competitive open-wheel racecar drivers in the world, having given current Formula One [F1] Championship competitors Kimi Raikkonenand American Scott Speed [www.scottspeed.com]their ‘Dream Shot’ into F1. Formula Renault combines F1 chassis and engine design with a carbon fiber monocoque [survival cell] produced in the same factory and made by the same manufacturer [ATR] that supplies the monocoque for famous six-time F1 Champions Team Ferrari.

Olson has definitely made his mark in Asia. Will he once again be spraying champagne from the top of the podium during the China Formula Renault Championship Series this year, in front of millions of motorsports television fans? No one knows the future, but one thing is certain: the determined racer definitely has the guts to reach the top. We wish him the best of luck in his Formula Renault races in Shanghai in August, and the exotic city of Beijing in September, in front of 40,000 fans and several tens of millions of television viewers in China. We also wish him well at his upcoming appearance in the States in Formula 2000 at the famous Connecticut Lime Rock Raceway, where Olson was only 1.3 seconds from the international lap record last year, and is poised to establish a new record and spray champagne from yet another winner’s podium. Lastly, the American racer will be competing in the upcoming televised Taiwan Race-X Championship, with the initial press conference set for June 2 [Link].

For more information on Pete Olson, visit his website at www.peteolson.com.
XXX
- - - -
For more information contact:

Christian Children’s Fund
Media Relations Contact Agent for Pete Olson:
Jennifer Harter
JHarter@CCFUSA.ORG
Communications Associate
Christian Children’s Fund
2821 Emerywood Parkway
Richmond, VA23294
(804)756-8994

Peter Olson
Olson Motorsports, LLC
Taipei, Taiwan R.O.C.
Tel: + 886 9 3567 8609
Email: Pete@PeteOlson.com
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Old 06-23-2006
Grand Master

Whoever is writing this guys PR isn't doing him any favors. This is so old school in the way it glorifies his stupid agressiveness and bad decision making. This guy is trying to kill himself and doesn't know it yet. Hope he figures it out and has a long productive career before we read his premature obit.
Old 06-23-2006
Team OC/AD D

Did you read his Lime Rock article? It gets worse.
Old 06-23-2006

Gallery Images: 8

Wow...he must be brain dead already. Where is the LR article?
Old 06-23-2006
Grand Master

Click on the highligted word article after the words Lime Rock in the second paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer
Wow...he must be brain dead already. Where is the LR article?
Old 06-26-2006
Former Eastern Series Reg

"Olson, who has promoted his Racing for Children program ......"

Nice rip off of Racing for Kids
Old 06-26-2006

haha, i know him. i remember talking to him for a while over that weekend. it wasn't until i saw the pic that i realized who he was. he told me was big into karting in malaysia. i remember him taking that picture. it was after the race and his friends came by. he then put the stickers on the car and took the pic. i don't recall him being that fast. in fact, i won the 1st race and narrowly lost out to adrian in the 2nd one. i dont think chris was a factor the whole weekend. PLUS, HE WAS IN THE SPORTSMAN GROUP, NOT THE CHAMPIONSHIP GROUP.
Old 06-26-2006
GrandMasterB

Gallery Images: 57
Exclamation Re: An Open Letter to Skip Barber Regarding HANS devices - Please Vote & Give Feedback

The Skippy jump suits are cotton.

OLDMAN
Old 06-29-2006
Almost a master

Unrelated to this article that was posted, I have another HANS story. We had a race in Zandvoort, Holland earlier this month. Turn 1 is a pretty simple corner, with enough runoff at the exit, etc, etc, but the only thing you don't want to do is hook it to the inside. My teammate, Filipe Albuquerque, was side-by-side with Xavier Maasen, touched him, and it bent his steering rod so that he kept running into Maasen. Eventually one hit bent the tire the other way, sending him into the inside wall. He was in third gear, and said he barely had time to hit the brakes before he hit the wall head on. His carbon fiber nose (which is very strong...i've put it to the test before and part of it was broken, but repairable) wasn't recognizable as it was in pieces. There were some other parts broken on the car also, but the driver was fine. The only marsk left on Albuquerque was a scrape on his chin from where the HANS device held his head from going forward, so it went down and hit the HANS itself. He probably would've been ok without the HANS since this wasn't that high speed of a crash, but it's a classic example of a situation where the HANS could come into effect.
Old 07-13-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by arig
haha, i know him. i remember talking to him for a while over that weekend. it wasn't until i saw the pic that i realized who he was. he told me was big into karting in malaysia. i remember him taking that picture. it was after the race and his friends came by. he then put the stickers on the car and took the pic. i don't recall him being that fast. in fact, i won the 1st race and narrowly lost out to adrian in the 2nd one. i dont think chris was a factor the whole weekend. PLUS, HE WAS IN THE SPORTSMAN GROUP, NOT THE CHAMPIONSHIP GROUP.
Checking out his website before scrolling down the thread I couldn't help but think about how much of a moron this guy was. Glad you all feel the same way. At first I was impressed by his apparent Red Bull sponsorship, before realizing he was just wearing an old Pedro Diniz replica helmet. Cute. I'm not quite sure why he is so proud of how "impulsive and unpredictable" he is on the race track. Sponsor me! I'm a more than mediocre driver with a tendancy to crash! Hard!

Anyways, he puts up a good argument for the HANS. I, however, find myself in the same predicament that arig highlighted. I want to wear a HANS and I want to be safe. Especially after you hear someone like Joey Hand telling the world that it saved his life twice. That being said, I'm in no position to spend over 1000 dollars on a safety device, especially when that kind of money could be going to more seat time.

Purley, "What do you mean, brake?"
Old 07-13-2006
Former Eastern Series Reg

Wait a minute .............. you have $1000 to spend on seat time but not on a device that could potentially save your life ??????

What does $1000 get you in a skippy car now ? A practice day.... a lapping day..... half a race weekend ??????

Makes no sense to me not to spend that $1000 on a HANS cause all it takes is for 1 thing to go wrong in that practice day ... lapping day....... race ...... and you wont be able to even think about seat time !
Old 07-14-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc916
Wait a minute .............. you have $1000 to spend on seat time but not on a device that could potentially save your life ??????

What does $1000 get you in a skippy car now ? A practice day.... a lapping day..... half a race weekend ??????

Makes no sense to me not to spend that $1000 on a HANS cause all it takes is for 1 thing to go wrong in that practice day ... lapping day....... race ...... and you wont be able to even think about seat time !
I know...backwards thinking. The thing is, I'm seventeen years old and I have a family that doesn't neccesarily support my racing. So, I'll work for a summer in order to afford two or three days of racing. I'd hate to spend all the money I save up over three months on a safety device and have to wait a whole 'nother year to race. If I had the money readily available I'd buy the HANS in a heartbeat, before a suit or a couple hours of track time. But that's not yet the case, and I'm anxiously awaiting the day it is.

Old 07-14-2006
Running Amok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMitchell
I know...backwards thinking. The thing is, I'm seventeen years old and I have a family that doesn't neccesarily support my racing. So, I'll work for a summer in order to afford two or three days of racing. I'd hate to spend all the money I save up over three months on a safety device and have to wait a whole 'nother year to race. If I had the money readily available I'd buy the HANS in a heartbeat, before a suit or a couple hours of track time. But that's not yet the case, and I'm anxiously awaiting the day it is.
Spend $50 for the hardware and mount it. When you go racing, borrow someone's HANS.

If I'm at the track... you can use mine.
Old 07-14-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999
Spend $50 for the hardware and mount it. When you go racing, borrow someone's HANS.

If I'm at the track... you can use mine.
Now that seems like a reasonable investment. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2006
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMitchell
Michael, I'm not sure on your family situation, but I'm sure they realize that, whether they wan't you to or not, you're going to go racing. My guess is they don't 'support' your racing because they feel that it is too dangerous. If that be the case, all you should need to do is ask them to buy this important pice of safety gear..... Maby it can be an early or late birthday present. If they don't think you need it, just show them the research.
Old 07-16-2006

Gallery Images: 36

The option to borrow (or rent) a HANS is useful only if the driver owns a helmet in the first place and has installed some HANS posts. The Skippy helmets do not have HANS posts, so anyone doing an Advanced 2-Day school or even an advanced activity (e.g., lapping day) or race weekend and who will be using a Skippy helmet will be driving sans HANS. Hence, if a driver does not yet own a helmet, then that is another expense (and don't forget the old adage "If you have a $50 head, then buy a $50 helmet").
Old 07-19-2006

Does anyone know anything about the R3 Head and Neck Restraint system? It looks like a competitor to the HANS device. But it is self-containing, i.e. it does not rely on the shoulder belts to stay in place. With all of the talk about how to keep the straps from falling off the HANS, it intrigued me. But I'm told it is not brand new, so what's up with it? See it here: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=9570

Tags
hans , hans device

Bookmark This Thread