Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 09-24-2007
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Kids in SB race series?

Hello, Brandon here, I've never posted before. I'm dad and crew chief of a 14yr old kart racer. Seems like a nice community you've got here, I've benefited from lots of tips and insights as we've planned for the kid's 3 day school.

We (actually, 'he,' I 'audited') did the 3 day school at LRP last weekend. He liked it even more than I thought, and is asking about doing the race series next year.

I'm willing to consider it; it probably isn't any more money than our '08 kart plans, and the tracks are certainly closer. But I've got some questions about the series' appropriateness relative to the macro parenting goals at work here.

1) Karting has been an amazing opportunity to work shoulder to shoulder with my kid almost every weekend. A three day race weekend contains enough drama for a season of 'Lost' and there are character building highs-and-lows aplenty. I don't like the idea of just showing up, dropping him off, and watching from the stands. Also, I wouldn't want his education on setup/mechanics/preparation to stop.

2) After a few years of karting at the national/regional/local level, he's got a lot of relationships with competitors both in and out of his classes. I'd worry if he's the only, or one of two or three kids in the series that he gets bored on a social level. Although it would be a relief to know he's not off breaking his wrist somewhere on a skateboard between heats...

Any opinions? I know all about the SBRS role in driver development professionally. But unlike other kids we know who have gone through the series, he really isn't aiming to be a pro driver; he wants to go to MIT, work on/drive FSAE, and study engineering, where maybe the motorsports industry beckons as a someday career option. Right now it's about developing mastery in the sport, with all the discipline and character challenges that entails. Karting does all that for us, and either way we wouldn't quit doing it locally. But I sure was impressed by the size of his smile once they finally lifted the rev limits on Saturday...
Old 09-24-2007
GrandMasterB
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 57
Re: Kids in SB race series?

And down the slippery slope we go!

OLDMAN
Old 09-24-2007
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

Brandon,

Welcome to the community. You'll get plenty of good insight here to your question from many people that are passionate, and from many walks of life and perspectives, from career minded, to recreational.

1. Your first question is a real consideration. I understand your points. Racing a Skip Barber car takes away tinkering, and most of the setup work. In Regional races, where your son should start should you both decide to, setup changes are not allowed. In the National series, he could work with some setup changes, though not as deep as the next level up, or even the karting level.

Skip Barber keeps things this way to make sure drivers can drive well first. Many drivers need time to learn to recognize what the car is doing before they begin to work on changing the car. With your son's experience, this learning will happen much faster, and he would likely be ready for Nationals sooner.

Parents often do take part in their son's and daughter's participation at Skip Barber. Sure, you won't both be working on the car, but you can help in other ways, from helping him with his notes and analysis, watching corners to "spy" on other drivers driving techniques, etc. Even so, once you've been with Skip Barber a weekend or two, you will quickly see that the Skip Barber staff is very good at taking care of your son's development.

2. On your second concern, you will see immediately that he'll find friends. There are always younger drivers, even more so these days, as young as 12! But, plenty in the 14-18 range. The environment encourages social interaction. It's common to see many drivers going to dinner in the evenings, and with the really young drivers, throwing footballs in the parking lot until a slightly more mature adult intervenes.

Thanks for your questions. I'm sure others on this forum will post great comments for you as well, especially those that applaud you and your son for the college focus. I hope to see you and your son at a race weekend.

P.S. Formula SAE is a fantastic program, as is MIT. Best of luck!

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 09-24-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

I'm not sure about kids driving race cars. Are you saying that a 14 year old is going to be racing? LOL
Old 09-24-2007
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

A 14-year-old girl named Julia Landauer, who is now running Formula BMW at age 15, won the regional Sportsman Championship last year. (There is no longer a Sportsman Championship to encourage fast Sportsman to test themselves in the faster Champ group sooner) Julia came from an extensive karting background.

More and more karters your son's age are getting value from the Skip Barber race series. There is also a karting shoot out each year in Sebring giving the winner a season of racing. I'm not up on the details of that but I believe it's on the SkipBarber.com web site.

The Skip Barber community as a whole is supportive to newcomers, young and old. It's an atmosphere of learning that teaches both driving skills and good sportsmanship in a competitive environment. Lots of good life lessons get handled just going through the process.

The vast majority of racers are wonderful people who enjoy sharing what they are learning with their competitors. They are only surpassed by the instructors who love to guide and support driving talent.
Old 09-24-2007

Gallery Images: 8

Hi Brandon and welcome!

Gerardo probably has some of the most qualified comments you will receive here as he brings the perspective of someone who instructs, mentors and races for a living.

From a customer ( racer) standpoint and as a father of a 13 year old I can add that your involvement with your son in whatever avenue he takes is what counts the most. As Gerardo mentions we dont do anything with setup. Most of us struggle with getting to the next level in our driving abilities and work constantly with the very capable instruction staff. SBRS is an amazing program for all ages.

I will say that we have had and do have many great young drivers who come through the program, many of which master the regionals quickly and move on. As a parent I would tell you that you should plan on attending all practices and race weekends as the weekends although structured, do not lend to unsupervised activity.

It sounds to me that your most important goal is quality time with your son and in nurturing his development as a student and maturing young man. Both of you can have a great time with the series and I think you will find the friendships, both young and old as good as any you will find.

Just keep in mind that Racing is like a drug. Karting, Regional, Nationals, on and on and on. If your son winds up doing well there is no telling where this will lead. If you are open to that than go for it. You and he will find a life experience that most of us wish we could have had many years ago. Best of luck.

Chris
Old 09-24-2007
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

In case you don't know... Dr. Mikes tongue is firmly planted in his cheek as his son John at age 12 was the youngest ever winner of a formula car race when he won his first Skip Barber series race.

Here's a current link to his listing on the Champ Car Formula Atlantic web site:

http://www.champcaratlantic.com/Driv...ver.asp?ID=458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Edwards
I'm not sure about kids driving race cars. Are you saying that a 14 year old is going to be racing? LOL
Old 09-24-2007
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo
Brandon,

Welcome to the community. You'll get plenty of good insight here to your question from many people that are passionate,
Thanks for all the encouraging comments. Yes we know and race all three Landauers and followed Julia's exploits in SBRS. But I wondered how big an exception she was. There was only one other karter in the 3 day (Jake Rosenzweig, 1:00.1 in a school car at LRP)

I do remember reading about John Nelson a few years back, neat to see he's gone on to F Renault.

Thanks again for the feedback as we mull this over. We'll at least do more classes while ruminating...
Old 09-25-2007

Gallery Images: 8

Man, there never seems to be a shortage of talented youngsters every year. How old is Gabby C.? 13 maybe? (Ignoring, for the moment, the plain differences in talent and commitment, I must be spotting Gabby 100 lbs!) The younger Taylor brother?
Old 09-25-2007

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
Man, there never seems to be a shortage of talented youngsters every year. How old is Gabby C.? 13 maybe? (Ignoring, for the moment, the plain differences in talent and commitment, I must be spotting Gabby 100 lbs!) The younger Taylor brother?
While we're at it, today is Alexander Rossi's 16th birthday. For those of you who never ventured to Laguna Seca when he was 14, Alexander not only kicked butt, he held the Skippy car track record at Laguna for awhile. This year he ran a successful series in Formula BMW.

Bookmark This Thread