Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 01-29-2010
Marketing Wonk
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

A message from Michael Culver about Skip Barber at Road America in 2010

While Michael is working on getting registered here, he asked me to post the following to address the situation (and the rumors) about what is going on with Road America this year and why we won't be racing there.

"Road America is one of our favorite race tracks and I know that all of you feel the same way… Its one of the world’s greatest. We have been running there since the early 80’s! Unfortunately in 2010, Skip Barber will not be taking the Summer race series there. Last fall we had requested July and August race weekends (weekends that we usually get as per long term usage agreement) and (prematurely as it turns out) put them on our schedule. In 2010 we wanted to start rebuilding our presence at Road America and we asked for approximately 38 days, approximately double the days we used in 2009. However, it turned out that Road America was unable to provide those dates this year as they had sold the days to other parties and the dates they ultimately offered us could not be fitted into our by then established race series schedule. So, we replaced these weekends with Road Atlanta (a Skippy favorite) and Grattan (a fun track our series has not been to since 2001 and many are excited to run at again!). We have also added Mid-Ohio to the schedule.

I have heard rumblings to the effect that “Skip isn’t going to Road America this year because they owe Road America money” but this is incorrect; Road America is fully paid. This is a scheduling issue. We will be conducting 3 Day Racing schools and Advanced 2 Days among other programs at Road America this year as well as holding a National Championship race with ALMS in August, but the later than usual scheduling and our own logistics issues relating to scheduling at other locations limited the number of offered dates we could use.

I have had a good personal relationship with Road America. In the interest of looking forward and not the “rear view mirror” (the only way to win the race) we are already in the process of working with Road America to modify and extend our existing long-term agreement and resolve scheduling issues so that in future years we will be assured that SBRS has access to the facility on basically the same weeks every year. This will be a benefit for both parties. Our objective is to run at least two race weekends at Road America in 2011 and beyond!

See you at a track soon!"

Last edited by sydude; 01-29-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Wacky formatting issues
Old 01-29-2010
Marketing Wonk

Re: A message from Michael Culver about Skip Barber at Road America in 2010

Doug,
On an unrelated side note, I think I found one of your bugs at the end of the above message. I couldn't delete that bit of code no matter what I did.
Old 01-29-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimal Temus View Post
Doug,
On an unrelated side note, I think I found one of your bugs at the end of the above message. I couldn't delete that bit of code no matter what I did.
I guess we are still working out some kinks on the new server.

Doug - let me know if I need to get my team on it.
Old 01-29-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Great news from Michael and thanks Jim.

We send apologies to Michael as our new (faster more powerful) server is being debugged and we won't have normal online registration until probably some time next week.

This marks the first time the CEO of Skip Barber has communicated directly to customers through this site and we welcome him and the opportunity to serve as a communications link. We also look forward to welcoming more members from the south, west and mid-west going forward so this virtual club house can more affectively serve the national field of devoted SBRS customers.

Great to hear RA will likely be back on the regional schedule next year (as I've never raced there. ) and we also hope for a business up-tick big enough to warrant returning Mt Tremblant to the regional schedule as well!

Thanks,
Pat
Old 01-29-2010

This will be a minority opinion I'm sure. Road America is a great course - if everyone stays on the track. I really enjoy the track with the Skip Cars when we did the short course years ago, as that was a layout that reliably provided "seat time". For my racing dollar I have not had a good experience at the full course. Too many times cars are in the gravel and you spend an inordinate time behind the pace car. When you lose time to the safety car the laps are so long that you lose much of the session. I simply do not go there anymore, as I believe other tracks are much more likely to yeild "seat time". For me tracks like Grattan, Putnam Park, are more reliable racing and seat time.
Old 01-29-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Edwards View Post
T I simply do not go there anymore, as I believe other tracks are much more likely to yeild "seat time". For me tracks like Grattan, Putnam Park, are more reliable racing and seat time.
Dr, Dr Dr....do I not have some pictures and year end banquet video of you with the biggest sh*t eating grin leaving RA last year with some iron under your belt?
Old 01-29-2010
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Quote:
Doug,
Fixed. Sy to the rescue! Oh yeah, Hi Jimbo!

Hope you're well,

Sy.
Old 01-30-2010
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Doug,
Thanks for posting that for Michael Jimal.

For future ref, there are two modes in the post widow, one lets you see everything as html and mod it. Hit the button in upper right that shows 2 "A"s in a small square button....

cdh

Tags
michael culver , race series , road america

Bookmark This Thread