Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 05-10-2011
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Exclamation Regarding Sid Brenner - important

UPDATE:

Sid Brenner passed away peacefully with his family by his side at 10:30 p.m. this evening. (Tuesday May 10, 2011)

He was loved by many, and will be missed.

We will forward information about cards, flowers, and services when we have them.

Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time.

Todd

-----

For everyone who knows and loves Sid and hasn't already heard, we're very sad to tell you that he fell seriously ill on Sunday and is in the hospital. I don't think its my place to give any details on an open forum at this point, but when that changes one of us will update you here.

If you need further information contact myself, Pat or Doug directly or click on the 'contact us' link on the bottom of this page.

Please think of Sid and pray for him and his family. If you want to post your thoughts, wishes and prayers here, please do.

Last edited by sydude; 05-11-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-10-2011
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995
Exclamation Regarding Sid Brenner - important

The Family of Sidney Brenner invites you attend a celebration in honor of a life well lived

Sunday, May 15th

1 p.m. – 5 p.m.

CrystalSprings Country Club in the Rotunda

1 Wild Turkey Way
Hamburg, NJ 07419

For those flying, Newark Airport is the closest.

If you need accommodations

973-827-5996 extension 2
http://www.crystalgolfresort.com/

Please come with your favorite Sid photo (be prepared to leave it behind) and at least one funny story to share.

Please forward to anyone you feel would want to attend and call if you have any questions or need further information.

Todd

Last edited by sydude; 05-11-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

My family's thoughts and prayers are with Sid and his family. A classier and more generous crew you will not find.
Old 05-10-2011
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

Dear Sid
The Porcupine with the marshmellow center.
The first time I met Sid, he scared the crap out of me! My first Van around with him was a stomach turning thrill ride that had me volunteering for the first flag stand just to get out.
He is also adept at reaching into your wallet ..... without pulling out a gun..... and taking large bills.

But under that accent and imposing "in your face" personality...... Is a great, caring, and talented man. The marshmellow part.

I wish Sid and his family the best. I am sad to hear that he is sick.

George
Old 05-10-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Mike M. said this in an email, I don't have the words yet, his say it well -

'Sid is one on a very short list of authentic people'

Indeed, praying for ya Sid, and for Christine and family

Old 05-10-2011

Gallery Images: 8

You will never meet anyone more genuine and caring than Sid. Godspeed Buddy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old 05-10-2011
Marketing Wonk
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Sid is in our thoughts here in Bristol. I started working at SBRS in 2000 but I arrived at SBRS when Sid started talking to me like I wasn't another suit from the office. That has always meant a lot to me and greatly helped my self confidence.

Jimal
Old 05-10-2011
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Get Well Soon Sid!!! I always enjoy chatting with you and especially love the way you bust Trent's balls!!! You are one-of-a-kind!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

With love from The Hindman Family
Old 05-10-2011
Tire Pariahrometer
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

There was this Jewish-Italian who walked into a bar.....
Old 05-10-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Doug, like you, I'm finding it hard to find words. Mike M. got it right. Sid is unlike anyone I have met before and someone that I will NEVER forget. I was so intimidated by Sid the porcupine that I made up some defensive assumptions about him and it took me FOREVER to see his marshmallow center. (Thanks George for a very apt metaphor.) So you can imagine that when I did, my jaw literally hit the floor, I had so badly misunderstood what he was all about. He is a great con man, one of the best, and he had conned the hell out of me. From then on we became fast friends, but even though I now knew about the marshmallow center, he continued to surprise me with how marshmallowy it really was. Sid has one of the biggest hearts I have ever found.

I am really, really sad to hear this and am praying hard.
Old 05-11-2011
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Sorry to have to pass this along...

Sid Brenner passed away peacefully with his family by his side at 10:30 p.m. this evening.

We will forward information about cards, flowers, and services when we have them.

Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time.

Todd

Words fail me... Here's a picture from his surprise party that speaks volumes.

Rest in Peace Sid
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sid&family.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	4307  

Last edited by dalyduo; 05-11-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-11-2011

Unhappy Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Sid Brenner passed away peacefully with his family by his side at 10:30 p.m. this evening.

Todd

Did this get sent out to all of the instructors, Pat?

Dad stopped at the hospital to see him tonight on his way from the Glen to Queens (he hadn't heard anything about it until I called him early this evening).

He called me around 9:00pm (I think) to tell me how it went, and I can tell you that, based on his visit, he'll be very surprised and upset to hear the horrible news.
Old 05-11-2011
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

He probably hadn't checked his E-mails... This was sent to everyone including your dad at 11:55p Tues May 10th and there were earlier updates as well. I'm sure he'll find them when he checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekychica View Post
Did this get sent out to all of the instructors, Pat?

Dad stopped at the hospital to see him tonight on his way from the Glen to Queens (he hadn't heard anything about it until I called him early this evening).

He called me around 9:00pm (I think) to tell me how it went, and I can tell you that, based on his visit, he'll be very surprised and upset to hear the horrible news.
Old 05-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
He probably hadn't checked his E-mails... This was sent to everyone including your dad at 11:55p Tues May 10th and there were earlier updates as well. I'm sure he'll find them when he checks.
Thanks, Pat. Like I said, he was at the Glen today, detoured to NJ to visit Sid after I called, and then went to Queens. He's going to Atlanta tomorrow, I believe, so he's been a bit off the grid.
Old 05-11-2011
administrationistperson

So long pal, Skip wont be the same without you....so sad, no words

Old 05-11-2011

Gallery Images: 8

There are so few words to describe the loss of such a wonderful friend we all had in Sid. He was passionate about SBRS and all of those involved. He was a friend to all of us. Some of us knew it immediately, some of us took some time to know it. In the end his caring and good heart always shone through.

I will try to get through the sadness over the loss of my dear friend and work to celebrate his life and to be thankful for being able to have shared the laughs over the years that we enjoyed together.

When I called him last week to review some mechanics fund ideas he answered the phone as follows when he saw my number...."Why are you calling this number? Do you think you are going to find friends here?". We laughed and then we got to business of catching up on where we last left off when we last talked.

It was apparent to me that Sid could not wait to get back to the track next week at WGI to see and share the weekend with all of us again as he has for thirty years. No, it will never be the same without him. I for one will keep him in my heart and mind each day particularly when I am at the track so that his perspective is with me.

As he told me so many times when things didn't go as planned...remember this advice in a tone that only Sid could get away with...."Get over it. Don't worry about what did or didn't happen out there. Did you have fun? Life is short and this is way too expensive to not have fun...."

Sid, thank you for always putting it in perspective and making it fun but it will take a long time to get over it....
Old 05-11-2011
Marketing Wonk

I'm crushed and it is still just sinking in. Farewell Sid.
Old 05-11-2011
Punisher

Back in the day when the Midwestern Series still existed, some of us took offense to Sid's brashness on behalf of the Mechanic's Fund when he first visited RA, but that offense lasted all of about the time it took to sit down with him and actually get to know him. He was a wonderful, caring, engaged man whom I'll miss. And he was also a highly effective advocate for the mechanics. Without doubt, Skip Barber was his other family. Sad to learn of his passing.
Old 05-11-2011
Diesel Demon

We are deeply, deeply saddened. There aren't enough words to describe the wonderful, caring man that Sid was. I too had heard of the "brash" Sid Brenner when I was a newbie and was prepared for the worst. Instead, after a proper Sid style introduction for a race weekend or two, I found not only a great man, but a new friend. Take those hot laps now Sid, you've earned them.

Gary & Susan

Last edited by Tireman; 05-11-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-11-2011
administrationistperson

Sid looking at us from above...

"Oh for cryin out loud, have youse guys learned nuttin from me??? No one's exploited dis to benefit da mechanics yet???
What a bunch of loozahs, I'd have hustled deez guys for at least 3 grand by now....
now quit cryin and gimme a hundred bucks for da mechanics"

Irrepressible, irreplaceable, thanks for everything Sid, wont be the same without ya

Old 05-11-2011

Gallery Images: 36

I am deeply saddened and feeling an emptiness.
Old 05-11-2011
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

I'm thinking the Memorial at Watkins will have to include a 15 passenger van in the field. If anyone can pass that vehicle, you are immediately sent to New Jersey for a 2 week survival campaign.

Gonna miss you Sid. You were a gem. I am sure you will live in our hearts for a long time. Seems all the more fitting we are going to be together next weekend. We'll raise a glass.... or two.

George
Old 05-11-2011
Diesel Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
I'm thinking the Memorial at Watkins will have to include a 15 passenger van in the field. If anyone can pass that vehicle, you are immediately sent to New Jersey for a 2 week survival campaign.
All the Memorials this year should be in Sid's honor.

Viz
Old 05-11-2011
Petey's Dad

Gallery Images: 54

It was a very rough drive to work this morning. I miss my friend

I am so grateful for the 11 years that I've known Sid, especially for the last 7 where he has become a cherished friend. When I first met him pushing for money I thought "What an ass", a sentiment I am sure he felt double for me..... he enriched the lives of everyone that knew him, something we will have with us forever. When he was present, he made each and every one of my countless Skippy weekends special, his generosity and humor were both inspiring and contagious. Sid was for the most part the driving factor for me wanting to be at those weekends and I was always excited to see him there. He made us laugh and made me understand a lot of things I did not "get" on my own.

Off the track I will miss the regular phone calls, emails and dinners at Twin River Palms that we shared with Matt, Sy and my boy Petey, right up to the last one on 5/3. Petey and I always anxiously awaited those mid-week get-to-gathers to see our close friends. We will continue those dinner dates, Petey and I will drink a diet coke to celebrate your life each and every time...

We love you Sid and miss you immensely already. Keep the red bus on the pavement up there, and we look forward to you pulling her up to the entrance with smoke bellowing from the tires, greeting us with a hugh smile when we join you. I know I'll be running for the front passenger seat next to you just as I always did here....

Name:	20100807 (4).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	4308  

Last edited by ML Peter Ludwig; 05-11-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2011

A true New Yawka...with a HEART OF GOLD. I will miss you Sid.
Old 05-11-2011

The list of people whose lives Sid affected or influenced in a positive way is a very long one... He will be missed by many. RIP Sid and godspeed!

"wrenching and racing" - "will race for food" - "I'll always be driving something, somewhere..."

Last edited by BlackFireACR; 05-11-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Gone too soon, my friend. Gone too soon. I learned so much from you. And I know you're sad to go-- you loved it so much here.

This is a sad, sad day. Going to be hard to get through it. Here's to you, Sid. Godspeed hell, I know you're going your own speed.
Old 05-11-2011
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

I log onto this forum about once a month and immediately I see the post about the passing of Sid and tears came to my eyes. SID WAS FOR THE RACER......FOR THE SPORT.....FOR THE WORKERS.....and just gave of himself completely for the sport we all love. My heartfelt condolences go to Sid's family and friends! The Skippy world just lost one of the best......we love you Sid!
Old 05-11-2011
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

I just read thru all the posts before me......I still can not believe it.......I am so sorry to all of you who lost a good friend......I know how you feel.....it just hurts.....Years ago we lost two SCCA people Joe DeLuca and Linda Gromlund on Flight 93 and we hold a memorial race every year in their honor. In the coming weeks when the pain starts to go away lets think of how we can keep Sid's memory alive on track with us. He always brought a smile and a laugh to the events and this is what we must continue to do.......
Old 05-11-2011
Marketing Wonk

Has anyone suggested a "missing van" formation down the front straight at the next Race Weekend?
Old 05-11-2011
administrationistperson

Old 05-11-2011

Sid was also a great listener and asked me very interesting questions.

Without knowing me very well, he bluntly and directly asked me what I thought of something.

I wish I had gotten to know him better.
Old 05-11-2011

Gallery Images: 1

Very sad day.. I am going to miss you, Sid.. A generous and genuine man.. The world is a better place because of you. I am flooded with many memories and at a loss of words.
Old 05-11-2011

Gallery Images: 33

Sid was so dedicated to Skip Barber and the mechanics, I think the proper memorial to Sid would be to raise more money for the mechanics than we ever have before. I also think that Sid's spirit was one most definitely NOT filled with sadness, so although this is indeed a very sad time, we should celebrate his life the best we can with fond memories and laughter.

I propose that we fill a book with everyone's fondest memories of Sid to make sure his wonderful presence is never forgotten.
Old 05-11-2011

I'll never for get the exchange he repeated to me between him and his then 12 year old son:
Son: "Dad, are we rich?"
Sid: "You're not."
Old 05-11-2011
Rookie / Advanced Member (<10 Posts)

Sid had the best sense of humor ever. I use his lines and jokes every chance I get,they allways make people laugh. I will miss him and allways remember him.
Old 05-11-2011
Big Dick

Some people leave a small hole in your herart when they pass. Sid leaves a crater in mine. Beneath the "character" was one of the kindest, gentlest people to ever walk the planet. The is no doubt that he will live forever in each of us.

Sid and Wally in heaven together. What could go wrong?
Old 05-11-2011
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Its was an honor and treat to know the "Badger" for over 20yrs.....! Lots of memeories including his first SBR Win!
I still tell the stories of the "Jackyl"!!!! and the infamous "Paint my House!"
Old 05-11-2011

Gallery Images: 482

On behalf of Jane and myself, our deepest sympathy to Sid's family.

Sid personified in so many ways the heart and soul of the SBRS community. He was committed to the best aspects of the sport, he was a passionate advocate for the people who made SBRS work, he was the conscience of the SBRS community on issues that really matter. As SBRS evolved from Skip Barber's personal enterprise to a more typical corporation, Sid was one of the few who kept alive the intensely personal element that has kept many of us coming back to race weekends year after year.

Sid's life and his example are shining, brilliant answers to the three core questions of life, posed centuries ago:

If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am not for others, what am I?
If not now, when?

Words cannot express how deeply we will miss him. We can only honor him by trying, each in our own way, to live up to his example.
Old 05-11-2011

What more is there to say? Wonderful memories Sid. Sad, sad day.
Old 05-11-2011

Him repeatedly using me and my luge as a brake at Mont Tremblant ("Force still equals mass times acceleration, Jimmy")
Random T-shirts he picked up for me over the years ("They made a Jimmy Spencer t-shirt. I got you one. It was on sale")
The love he showed for my wife and kids EVERY chance he got "Jimmy, I showed them where they keep the candy in hospitality. You mind?"
The "brand new" demolished tool box, bent RT wing, nose nipples, flags etc. I bought from him over the years for the mechanics fund ("I know a guy who can fix that for 2 or 3 hundred dollars")

Van rides, van rides, van rides... "2 wheels or 4, your call"

I am indeed "having fun yet" thinking about these and the other memories. Funny that I can't for the life of me tell you how I did racing during any of these weekends.

"That's the point, Jimmy"
Old 05-11-2011
Team Flying Randalls

Sad to hear - - a good guy for sure - -

God speed Sid from The Flying Randalls - - thoughts and prayers go out to the family too
Old 05-11-2011

Sad Day !!
Always had that extra little bounce in my step when I knew Sid was going to be at the track !
They broke the mold, then they made Sid !
Ron
Old 05-11-2011

Gallery Images: 33

one of my favorite pics of sid... the luge at mt. tremblant... right before this picture was taken he knocked one of the young kids into the wall in true sid style

Name:	img_3052.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	4309  

Last edited by dalyduo; 05-11-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2011
Senior Skippy Coach

Wink Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

Sid was first and foremost a great human being, a true friend and a racer at heart.

I have so many memories of Sid over the past nearly 30 years....none of them anything but joyous. I was there for his great race win at Watkins Glen. I was there when he arrived at Lime Rock (The Woodland) with baby Ryan and beautiful Christine. I was there last October when Chris surprised him with an early 70th Birthday party. Sid was my Best Man when I finally married Leslie.

Sid and roomed together countless times over the past 20 years, and Sid and I ate a thousand "Outback Specials" together with many of you.

It has been said in so many ways by so many of you, that Sid shared his joy of living with everybody in such generous ways that he leaves a happy yet sad hole in the lives of all who knew and loved him. We will not see his like again.

Sid, save me a seat wherever you are, I'll be along soon enough.
Old 05-11-2011
Velocimember
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

i just found out...i am crushed...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -WOW---What A Ride!
Old 05-11-2011

While I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Brenner I was able to watch him "work" during my one race weekend and I can tell the world is a bit darker without him. My condolences to both his personal and his Skip Barber families.
Old 05-11-2011
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Can't believe Sid is gone. First met Sid when MacInnes had hair!

Sid won his first race at Bridgehampton. We all decided to clear the entire pit and hide in the garage when he came around to get a victory flag for his victory lap - no one to welcome him - the look was priceless and Sid loved the joke.

Or when Sid and I stole Zoomie the plastic squirrel and sent him on an around the world tour with a disposable camera to all of the race venues. Zoomie was back in time for the banquet but Zoomie's first stop on the tour was a strip club - Sid?

Sid will be missed. His sense of humor, his smile, his van driving (not) RIP my friend

Vinny Nesci
Old 05-11-2011

Sid you were an inspiration to all of us.
My thoughts and prayers are with your family at this difficult time.
Old 05-11-2011
administrationistperson

Photo Re: Regarding Sid Brenner - important

Cropped one of Kelly B's shots. 2010 National - NJMP. Thanks Kelly

Bookmark This Thread